Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

regal2regal2 Posts: 4
I have a new 2006 Ford Explorer with the V-8 engine. When coming to stop the car lunges or clunks when down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. I have no codes that show up on the dash. What can be the problem? Other than that problem car shifts normally.

Comments

• I don't know what the problem is but it sounds very similar to what my 2006 V8 Explorer is doing. Just started a week ago at about 16K miles. I've noticed that the clunking gets worse as the transmission heats up (almost no problem for the first 5 miles in the morning.) I have not been to the dealership yet...hoping to acquire more info before taking them on. Anybody else out there?
  • I have an appointment next Tuesday, I will let you know what they find
  • I have the same problem with my 2002 Explorer V6. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the transmission or the driveshaft.
  • hklinehkline Posts: 4
    I got the same truck with the same transmission (V8) in November of '05 after my '97 Explorer was totaled. I had this shifting issue from the start. They ran TSBs, and at first thought they could clear some codes, or reset some computer timings, but those didn't work. I wound up getting a brand new transmission, and, no surprise, it's stil shifting horribly. I've taken this truck in six times already to be fixed, to no end. I'm seriously considering enacting the Lemon Law, but I'm in some way hoping that there will be a recall (as Ford is notorious for) sometime in the near future. Make sure you keep taking your trucks back when they're not fixed properly; and if it doesn't start up immediately, keep a close check on it . . . the problem will undoubtedly return.
  • regal2regal2 Posts: 4
    I did bring it in last week for repairs. The dealer told me they installed a software patch. It has resolved the problem, I no longer have the downshifting problem. I will see if the paper work gives me any details on the repair and post my findings for you. In turn you may be able to share this info with your dealer and they can install the same software patch.
    I had a few of those patches installed, also. And they worked well for a little while, until the downshift jerking started again anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks later. That's when they figured out those patches weren't working, and finally gave my truck a new transmission. I'm planning on calling the dealership and talking to the service manager, since the last time they worked on it and then sent the survey, I reported less than 100% satisfaction, and they called to find out why. I'll find out what he recommends, because having to take this truck back and forth to the shop is not only wasting my gas ($$), but additional mileage as well that shouldn't have to be put on it. Updates forthcoming. HK
  • Just got my '06 V8 Explorer back from the dealer. They cleaned the valve body and installed patches or code changes. So far so good. The problem was not new to the service guy and he said this fix works about on about 7 of 10 vehicles with similar troubles. Says next step (if necessary) is to replace the valve body.
    I just got mine back from the dealership. They kept it a couple days, and are going to order a valve body to put in. I asked them why, since this was already done in January at another dealership. They told me there is an "updated valve body" that was put into circulation in August, so they're going to try that. It's on back order though, since Ford outsources all their parts to third party manufacturers (so much for QC), and there is a larger demand than the source is currently providing. Hoping this prevents any more visits back. If this doesn't fix it, I'm going to trade the thing in for another vehicle.
  • reckreck Posts: 12
    We have a new 2006 V8 Limited Exlorer, 2000 miles, first shift point knocks, jerks, whatever you want to call it ... they reprogrammed..worked for two weeks, then they put a new valve assembly in..they had vehicle 1 week, got it back, a week later, same issue! took it back again today (three times now)don't know what they are going to do.. but we are VERY FRUSTRATED! It is most noticeable when you accelerate from a complete stop....also, when going from a complete stop, the rpm's seem to roar and then it seems to engage (trans)...it adversly affected the gas mileage also, the time when they put the valve assembly in the gas mileage was wonderful.... now if they only could fix the issue.. i am about ready to contact Ford to take the car back! any suggestions from anyone?
  • groobsgroobs Posts: 1
    I see that some of you have down shifting problems. I have a 2003 Explorer XLT my issue occurs in the up shift between 2-3rd gear. I noticed this issue last year when it started to get cold. There is a delay betwn the 2 gears and then the engine catches and shifts. I have had it to the dealer they said it is a transmission issue. Ford had a rep out to look at it said the issue was not bad enough to fix. Now this year samething my O/D off light came on the the truck is shifting worse than ever. Any thoughts?
    Well- we took it to the dealer again (3rd time) they said they skipped a step in the reprogramming - evidently what ford engineering told them to do they thought they did.. however, WHEN THEY REPROGRAM the transmission, make sure that they get the fluid temperature up to 175 degrees,,,, they said that they did not did not get it up to that temp the first time. so make sure they do this step --so far it is working beautifully.....lets hope so!!! i told them to fix it right or keep it!
    here's an update-guess what--its doing it all over again! that "repair" only lasted one week! am going to dealer tomorrow and it won't be pretty... want to tell them to keep it.. any suggestions from anyone how to go about making the dealer keep this one and giving me a different vehicle?i have never run into this before..... any suggestions?
    Well, I took mine in and got the new "updated" valve body, and surprisingly, it seems to have solved the problem so far. No jerking, hard shifting, etc. I'm giving it the "week-long" test though, because I know nothing else has worked yet, and I'm hesitant to complacently think things are perfect now. Hoping this is gong to be it, though . . .
    been there done that still did not work-they said that ford is stumped also... leave it to me! took it in this am--- they are keeping it - ford wants to put in a new trans.. I said no way- i am not safe in tius vehicle...spoke to gm of dealership-he is going to work with regional ford rep - to get us into a vehicle we will be happy with...they said tonight that they are replacing the pcm board??? but ford thinks its futile... they have to go thru the motions... and asked us to have patience.... UGH!!!!
  • Our 2002 Explorer Sport Trac is having the exact same shift problems as groobs's.
    It was shifting rough, delaying between 2nd and 3rd gears.
    I had the Transmission serviced as per the maintenance schedule.
    The problem continues and now the O/D light is flashing on and off when I drive it.

Any ideas?
    :sick:
    whatever happened with your transmission? They insisted on putting a new one in our 2006, but still having same problem, filed lemon law paperwork, now when we take it in for same problems, they say they cannot duplicate our issues.... the good old run around.... am meeting ford reps soon... just curious how yours was working.......
  • They installed a software patch about a month ago and it seems to be ok. However, I am not confident things are 100%, if I put the car into 3rd gear instead of drive the trans really lunges. Say you back out of the drive way and want to shift into drive but it winds up in 3rd, this is when I notice the problem.

It is obvious to me there is an issue with this new trans, seems since I started this chain alot of folks are having similar issues.

I spoke to a friend of mine about the lemon law, it seems on the surface you have a real case. Stay firm and keep pushing
    thanks, we're trying--we had it in again (5th time) Ford already has certified the final repair attempt per lemon law....and now dealer is playing games. The 5th time we had it in there, they said that there is no problems with it! It was obvious it was still doing the lunging...Ford also wanted to meet with us/dealer, the dealer is now giving us the run around on dates and times...attorney gen said to file with arbitration.... we have 26 out of service days to date... at 30, they have no choice but to replace or repurchase vehicle....I hate the games they play!! :mad: if I can stay firm.... thanks for the vote of confidence!!
  • I am thinking of getting a new expolrer but I think that I would stay with the V6 because I drive about 20000mi a year. Is the down shift issue only with the V8 or is it in all new Explorers?
    as far as we know its the v8---we love the explorer - this is our second.. however, i would not get ths transmission again...... good luck!!!