Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• i just got a 95 v6 exsplorer and the 4th day having it the 2wd will not work. i did notice a winding noise prior when i would let off the accelorater when going over 35. as i was driving at about 45 mph it made a horrrorble clunck and it did not go no more. i pulled over and when i put it in park it grided as if it were a manual (its not) so i tried 4wd low and drive locked in... i tryed it again in 2wd nothing.... someone tell me what i need to do with this thing befor i push it off a cliff. i can drive in 4wd fine but its not fine to do.... i need fixed asap and just put all my $ into buying it
  • Have a 2008 explorer limited. Took in to dealer this morning to address transmission lurching in low gear - usually near a stop or while accelerating. Also within the past week, the explorer started to stall - first time while in park, next several times while the car was actually driving (approx 30 mph). Any advice on what to discuss with dealer - I'm sure they'll call back and say nothing is wrong and I'm hallucinating.

Please note - I posted this same message in "starting and stalling" forum

Thanks for any help
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    My '06 V8 lurches too. I'm very interested to hear what your dealer says since I've been thinking about taking mine in. I think I read before that it's a programming issue and they can reflash the software to fix it, or at least minimize it.
  • pjfordpjford Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 6cyl 4.0l engine 4x4 XLT. My Transmission is shot and I'm looking for a best fit, used transmission from another vehicle. Could you tell me what make, model, and year vehicle that I could use as a replacement for my vehicle?

Basically, can a 2002 Ford Explorer transmission be replaced with transmission from any other year?
  • Dealer replaced throttle sensor and reprogrammed the ecm (pcm). The reprogramming took care of the transmission issue. Throttle took care of the stalling.
  • See message number 270. the ecm/pcm (engine/powertrain) control module was reprogrammed.
  • emmiecemmiec Posts: 2
    We had a 2007 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer) that did the same thing. Right before stopping the car would lurch or have a bump. If not coming to a complete stop and starting up again the vehicle would bump. We tried 5 times to have the car repaired and they failed to fix it. We went with the lemon law and won. We had the choice of what was wanted to do and unfortunately for us we decided to take a replacement vehicle, we took a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. We are having the same problem. We took it to the dealer 3 times and filed for the lemon law again. Ford contacted us to let them try a 4th time to fix the vehicle and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. We are now waiting for the next step. In Florida the Better Business Bureau handles the lemon law. Ford acts like they never heard of this problem but we have had 2 Explorers with it. Good Luck!
  • 07imanexplorer07imanexplorer Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I put too much or too little info in here. I need help. 2007 Ironman Explorer V8 with 20K miles. Since day one I have noticed a hesitation in shifting from 1-2. taken in numberous time for 1st couple of years, now I am starting to complain about it again. They have reprogrammed per bulletins, but state no new bulletins available. Must be just how I drive...I have also have just had it in for a thump noise when a/c on. They replaced accumulator assembly & drier assembly per TSB 8-11-6. The also just replaced rear pads, slipper slides & fasten in place per TSB 9-22-13 ( again I found for them ) due to rattle noise under vehicle when going over bumps. In the past they also replaced some spring in park.

Today I noticed the LOUD thump noise from the front end of the vehicle while in reverse, just taking off a few feet with A/C on. It is so loud it startles me and I think I may have hit something, ect...I called service dept at FORD who state we just replaced some of the A/C parts per TSB, so should not be that, so will have to take in again this Saturday to see if they hear it. Of course, If they can't duplicate it then they can't fix it. Could it be something else?
    Now they want me to purchase an extended warranty, but I really don't feel it is fair to spend more $ knowing the issues that are evident to them.

HELP!!!! I am so sick of the "We can't duplicate it so nothing wrong attitude" or "It's the way you drive"...

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks...
  • emmiecemmiec Posts: 2
    With the 2007 Ford Explorer (V8 Eddie Bauer) that we had we took it back to the dealer 5 times and either they "did a PCM update" to try to correct the problem or they said they could not duplicate the problem. The bumping, thumping at times was so violent that we actually would look to see if someone rear-ended us. We did get a exchange vehicle through the Lemon law in our State (Fl.) Now we have a 2008 Ford Explorer (V8 Eddie Bauer) and am experiencing the indentical problem. I just filed for the lemon law again and I am waiting for a response. I am also sick of the dealership telling me that there isn't anything wrong with the vehicle or that they can't duplicate the concern. The most important thing for you to do is SAVE all invoices. Check out your Lemon Law booklet that you should have gotten with your vehicle or go to the dealer and ask for a copy of one.
  • Thank you. I called the service dept on Wednesday and had a talk with the manager. I can tell he just wants me to go away. After telling him that I joined a forum on explorers issues, openly discuss my issues on facebook he remarkably came up with a TSB for the loud thump noise. They have to completly reprogram the PCM/TCM again. Who know if this will help. They said if no then they will have to be able to duplicate it before they will touch it again. Now I have also noticed that I can feel a slight vibration in the steering well when driving. Nothing major, but this seems to have appeared after they replaced my back breaks. I guess I will have to call them again....Geez, I really hate having to do that, but my warranty runs out next month for factory.. I also did notice a vibration in the break pedel when at a complete stop. that only occured once. I think I am screwed as far as the lemon laws goes in WI :(

I really wish a mechanic would actually get their hands dirty...
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    My mom has a 2007 Eddie Bauer 2WD V6 that is having the same problem. It has 118k miles on it, so there's no hope of any warranty repairs. But I've seem references to several TSBs that mentioned this and the recommended fix was to 'reprogram/reset the PCM" which hasn't been done. Is that something that a reputable independent repair shop could do or is the dealer my only option?

If I can't get this issue taken care of, I told her (mom) that I'm selling it! It has been nothing but trouble since she got it. The A/C compressor locked up last year and the dealer said it would cost anywhere from $1900 to $2300+ to replace it. I tracked down a new compressor from a Ford dealer who sells parts online and managed to haggle them down almost 20% for the compressor, evaporator (if I'm not mistaken....either that or a condenser), new lines and the A/C belt for $800 shipped. My dad's mechanic installed it for $300 including the refrigerant so it was repaired for $1100.

During an oil change, at least a year ago, the mechanic discovered a small leak in the radiator. He poured some product in with the coolant that works like "Fix-a-flat"' for radiators, as he put it. It has been more than a year and still holding, but it's past due for a coolant change and I've been putting it off with the intention of replacing the radiator at the same time. Ford's price for the radiator (just the part) is over $300. I've found several from other sources that are in the $160-$180 range and come with a 2yr/24k warranty. There are a few as cheap as $120, but I'm not familar with the vendors and they don't have a warranty....no thanks.

If you haven't already figured this out, for some reason I'm the one who has to take care of my mom's vehicle issues...my dad is too nice for his own good, I'm not! =/

The most frustrating thing is how reliable her previous Explorer was and continues to be. She had a 2003 XLT 4WD V6 and my sister bought it when mom got the EB in May 2008. The '03 recently hit 170k miles and still runs like a champ and has never needed more than regular maintenance.

Speaking of regular maintenance, the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual doesn't require a transmission fluid/filter change until 150k...I've never known of a vehicle that went more than 50k between fluid changes. 150k seems ike a lot of miles for the fluid to perform properly, but I could just be stuck in the 90s in that regard....has anyone changed theirs more frequently?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've owned 9 Explorers since 1997, and still have an 03 with 130,000 miles on it and an 07. Had one, an 04 with a bad transmission almost out of the gate, it was replaced 2 times by the dealer. Sold it to a friend who is still having transmission trouble with it. The rest have been totally bullet proof. Every once in a while, no matter what you drive, you can get a dud. Anyway, to answer your question, I always have the dealer flush and service the transmission every 30,000 miles. They almost last forever that way, except the 04.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    30k flushes did not work for my '02. Tranny out @ 89k.
    3500 for a new one.
    When the going gets tough, it's still my first choice.
    When the going gets tough, it's still my first choice.

Mine too, obviously. Anxious to try out the new one, and see if it can still tow.

My 02 gave me a lot more trouble than my 03, which is still running with 130,000 on the clock. I've heard that 03 was a great year for Explorers as far as reliability was concerned. I have no idea why.
  • jmathis555jmathis555 Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    I definitely haven't heard the '03 Explorer was any better than the 2002. I always thought they were identical (at least in terms of engine/transmission/etc)? CarComplaints.com gave both years an Avoid Like The Plague rating.

-John
    '02 was the first year, so some things were probably figured out by '03.
    I know there was some kind of transmission snafu in '04 or '05.
    Yeah, I had that lovely transmission snafu in my 04. It turned out to be sabotage in the transmission factory. Somebody shipped the incorrect transmission fluid to the factory, and the initial fill of the transmissions was of the incorrect fluid, which caused an early failure in most of them. I took mine in early for a additive that was supposed to make the bad fluid good, but it didn't work. Mine was too far gone already. They replaced it, but the replacement went bad also, so they replaced it again. I then sold the truck to my friend while it was still under warranty. It has failed yet again. It's never going to be right. He still has it. Meanwhile, my 03 is still running strong.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    So how did the "incorrect" ATF get into those next two transmissions..??
    Really good question, but I don't think it did. I think the damage was done to that transmission by the initial fill, and rebuilding the valve body and reflashing was not sufficient to repair it. That's just a theory, it could be they had a batch of bad transmissions that year from France (where they were built), and the fluid thing was incorrect, although it was pretty well documented at the time. As I think I stated earlier, I had a good 2002, 2003, then got the badf 2004, and the 2006 was also a bit screwed up, so rather than repeat that experience of the 2004, I traded the 06 on an 07, which I still have, and has been excellent in every way. So, I don't know for sure. Each time they fixed the transmission for me, always under warranty, it was fine, but shortly started malfunctioning again. Cars like that, I often find just are never right, and I push them down the road. Some people never buy another of that brand after experiences like that, but the Explorer is just such a great design with those 3rd row seats that fold into the floor, the independent rear suspension that really cushions the ride, and the superior engine technology, I keep buying them. Some other brands have started copying them, but Ford had it way first in that class. We'll see what I think of the 2011, I'm a bit skeptical right now. I like the ruggedness of the old design.
    My '02 has had it's share of issues that have cost me some money, but I still enjoy driving it every time i do.
    It drives well, sounds good and has a good sound system.
    It's also my kids first choice for the above reasons.
    I filled up my AWD Fusion about 3 weeks ago and have driven it about 60 miles since then.
    Pretty much drive the Explorer every day.
    Our weather has been pretty bad for the last month or more, so why use your second best tool for the job?