Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm sure it's too late, but I have had (now 9) Explorer/Mountaineers, since 94. The 02-07s, actually had chancy transmissions....some fine, others miserable. And if you got a bad one, it would always be a bad one. I would avoid those years. Wonderful design otherwise, but.....
  • I have replaced the shiftmotor and actuater still if you put it in 4x4 it engages for 15 seconds the 4x4 both hi and lo flash it goes back to 2 whell drive the lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes
  • I had the same problem with an 02 Explorer I purchased. Didn't do it during my city test drive, waited until I was on my way home with the title and an AS IS NO WARRANTY tag.... Took it to a well known tranny shop that charged me $75 to tell me it's a piece of s**t take it back where I got it from and if I wanted a second opion take it by the dealer on the way home and they would tell me the same thing. So I did stop in and they drove it up the road with me in the passanger seat and the service tech said the transfer case was kicking in and out and for me to put a new set of tires around it and it would fix the problem... I looked at him in disbelief bc one shop just told me to drill wells in my pockets and it needed full trans build and tranfercase. long story short new matching set of rubber and its smooth as silk now.
  • Interesting on the new tires. Makes sense, as my 2006 Explorer with 4WD needed a new tire (picked up a nail in the sidewall). The tire shop said I should get a new set (about ready anyhow), as the newer 4WD system with"automatic" settings can wear and begin to buck as the transfer case would think one wheel was slipping (like on snow) and try to engage the 4WD. Apparently the wear on the treads will make the tires rotate at slightly different RPMS vs a brand new tire. I took his advise and got a new set of tires. Did some research and found out this advice was correct. Glad your new tires did the trick. Now make sure you rotate them often to keep the wear between the front and rear tires even.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • felanfelan Posts: 1
    You may want to look into this: http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com is where you can get a fix for your transmission if the OD light is flashing or Check Engine light is on. If you get Codes for your trans like PO 775 or PO 745, it is most likely the servo bores. This place gets you a 200.00 fix that you can do in your driveway in 2 hours. It fixed my 03 2 weeks ago and is now doing fine! Ford originally replaced my transmission case at 36,000 miles for this problem. Now it happened again at 148,000. Puts more mileage on a nice vehicle!
  • madlettucemadlettuce Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 2003 ford explorer xlt 4.0L 4x4, installed it and it will not shift. The transmission wire harness broke from the solenoid pack at the tail when removing the transmission. Repleced wire harness from the dealer with Vin number from my SUV (another dealer said it couldn't be done this way, that I needed the code off the harness. tag was missing) Replaced solenoid pack with a rebuilt unit. Replaced Torque converter with a remanufactored one. Dropped transmission again and sent it back to transmission shop. Tested out fine. Transmission still will not shift. What else should I do?
  • 2007 Mecury Mountaineer V6 AWD

Problems began at 65,000 miles.

Hard shift from Park to Reverse - Sometimes.
    Grinding action from 2nd to 3rd upshift - Always.
    Hard Thump from 2nd to 1st downshift - Always.

Ford/Mercuriy Dealer
    Said didn't know but could update software for $100. Went with it but did not work.

Multistate Transmission
    Said to rebuild it.

AAMCO - Free diagnostic check, said they needed to do more and would cost about $200. Said could be external, solenoid pac possibly.

Local Transmission Shop
    Test Drove and diagnostics; Said to rebuild. Also said Transfer Case is cracked.

I read and watched videos, trying to convince myself there must be something that can be done. So, I tried the fluid flush and even the shop that performed the jobs said I'd be rolling the dice, they said they have only know fluid flushes to solve these probelems very rarely. But, I went for it because I had to. They added Shutter Guard treatment. Still same issues. $180

We will never own another Ford product ever. Nor will anyone in my family and I will do my best to inform others to never consider Ford products when purchasing.

This is how you kill a brand. Not by the hard work of the many who build it, those on the factory floor or assembly line. Doesnt matter where its built either, its the corporate attitude and negligence at the top of the company structure. Look, it hasn't been about the vehicle in a long, long time at Ford. Its just something to sell for profit. Nothing more. They should get into the toilet paper business because all they produce is pure crap.

Fix Or Repair Daily
    Found On Road Dead
  • jodi22jodi22 Posts: 1
    My 1994 is doing the same thing out of no where! the o/d light flashes withing the first few blocks of driving. Now this morning I got back from dropping kids off and it wont go into park! i had to put is in N and use emergency brake!! All of the shops and internet are saying what you posted.. So you're thinking that there is no hope, and need a new or rebuilt transmission to hopefully solve problem?
  • my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport wont shift on its own in drive but doesn't hesitate to go it was fine until it sat for about 5 months without running what could be the problem?
  • annrob1annrob1 Posts: 1
    Transmission went out at 99K miles. Have car at transmission shop. Any one with similar probs?
    No prior problems now this. No warranty.

Went back to Frank Boucher Janesville, Wi.....not helpful. Thanks, Ann.
    One may not be related to the other, but your transmission needs service - the parking pin has broken, and that will need fixing anyway.
    It sure could. I would have the fluid and filter changed, and see if that loosens it up. No doubt, you have a clogged valve body.
    Well, the bad news is the Explorer transmission is engineered to last about 100,000 miles without service. So, the question is, have you had it serviced? You can almost double its life with regular service at each 30,000 miles, if it's done right and thoroughly.
  • franco100franco100 Posts: 1
    My 2007 explorer goes into reverse hard when it warms up .The forward gears don't do it and the rest of the trany seens fine. It is a 4x4 4.0 lt with about 150000km .
    Does anyone know what causes this?
    Thanks
    Yep. It's a bad valve body. Not that hard to replace if you know what you're doing and don't mind getting terribly dirty and grimy. Part is only a couple hundred. But it will cost you considerably more to have it done by a shop. Nevertheless, it's a really disturbing condition, and I have had it fixed before. You should too.
  • kate822kate822 Posts: 1
    This is the EXACT issue that I am having and I have not been able to find the problem anywhere else but in your post. The transmission repair guys are at a loss also....any help would be so appreciated.
  • A young man from our church is having what I suspect is a transmission problem with his '04 Explorer with the V-6 engine. I haven't had a chance to ride with him or do an evaluation(I do my own car maintenance). He says he hears a high pitched whine that he thinks is tranny related most(but not ALL)of the time he's operating the vehicle. He also told me that it hesitates to shift especially when getting on a highway. I suspect the torque converter is locking up. He told me that one time he had to pull over to the shoulder, shift to park and stop the engine and when he started again everything worked fine. This is a very good looking SUV and from what I've been reading on other posts here, these transmissions don't seem to be very reliable. I didn't even get a chance to check his fluid level yesterday to make sure it was full and to do a smell test to determine whether it may be burnt. I told him that it didn't sound very good, what he's experiencing and he just put $1200 into it for other problems he's had. Is it possible a fluid change just MIGHT help him here? It seems to me that his problems are, at least for now, somewhat intermittent and not happening all the time. Maybe a transmission fluid change and an additive would help. What do you think, folks? And can you suggest a good additive, maybe Z-Max, or nothing perhaps? Let me know and thanks a bunch!
  • I am having the same problem with my 4x4 light flashing. any suggestions?
  • If your 4x4 light is flashing, you will need to take it to a good tranny shop, a hall effect/magnetic sensor is bad and will need to replaced.
    Well, for one thing, you can't check the fluid level or smell the fluid on these, they are sealed for life and there is no dipstick. So, if it's not leaking on the ground, the fluid level is probably fine. You didn't mention mileage, but if it's near or over 100,000, it's due for a new valve body. That's not a total rebuild, but most shops will charge you for one. $400 in parts, and some labor is what it really is.

A service may help, but when you have reboot issues (restarting the car makes it ok), you likely have an electrical or brain issue rather than a mechanical problem.

Sadly, you are right - the 04 Explorers had transmission issues. It's a long story why, but many of them were bad due to sabotage at the factory.