Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

1141516171820»

Comments

• I have a 2001 explorer that I think the trans is shot but I'm looking for help here. I was having problems with my OD off light staying on and my car feeling like I was towing something. No matter what I did it wouldn't go off. Then yesterday after backing out of my driveway and putting the car in drive it wouldn't go forward. I tried to go in reverse and it wouldn't go. I put it in park and I started to coast backwards. I can put the car in park and still push it like it was in neutral. Any one know what my problem might be.
  • hexorhexor Posts: 1
    I was driving up to work tonight and I came to a hill and my explorer went to downshift and all I heard was like grinding or or loud vibration. I wasnt sure so I let off gas and tried again and same thing happened. Is that the tranny or the engine itself? Please help
  • 2003fordexplor2003fordexplor Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I took my car in for inspection and it failed due to something with the transmission. I took it to someone local and they charged me over $200 to look at it and tell me it would cost me $3500 to replace it, $2600 for parts and $650 for labor, with a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty. Seems a bit excessive based on other quotes I've seen online. I'm now considering Aamco and wondering if anyone has used them before.
  • I used Aamco a number of years ago for a transmission rebuild. Actually the car dealer recommended them, as he stated most of the dealers don't work on the transmissions themselves, but actually take the car to Aamco for repair. They had a guaranty at Aamco and the car ran great (actually shifted smoother than before the repair).

Bel Air Car Guy
  • I have a 02 Explorer XLT V8 (late production 6/01). Can not find Transmission Harness any where. Called Ford and was told item is discontinued. Can not locate in junkyard or aftermarket company. NEED HELP!!!!!