Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• msc1msc1 Posts: 5
    The dealership which now has my Explorer for the 4th time is trying to persuade us to not go the lemon law route. Says they will give us a good deal on a 2007, similar to what we would get going through the lemon law. They haven't shown me any numbers yet, and they would have to give me a great deal on SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN EXPLORER which has the same motor and transmission as the 2006. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Will do the same here.
  • jbuck2jbuck2 Posts: 12
    The transmission spins when I'm trying to accelerate to get across 4 lanes of traffic it feels as if you standing still for a split second. If I do not time it right I could get hit.
  • dcabledcable Posts: 5
    Hello

I will be going to arbitration in Sept in Philly. Pa for the very same shifting issues that all of you are having. Please register your complaints with National Highway Trafic Safety Association @ http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    They are getting quite a few complaints from angry Ford Owners by registering your complaint the Nhtsa will investigate the issue
    Don't let the Dealership sell you a new car just file a lemmon law and you have a great chance at winning!! Also Ford tries to offer us the Extended Warranty ...that seems to be the standard with them! Don't take it because if you do you may not be able to file a lemmon law suit :lemon:
  • mechanic53mechanic53 Posts: 1
    Trans seems to go out of gear when coming to a stop. Engine revs up from 200-300 RPMS when stopping at light or stop sign. Had vehicle in 2 times for same problem said they could find no problem. Have 7500 miles on it since 1/25/06. First problem was bad jerking or loos of power after 42MPH was uncomfortable to use as Factory explained they had new computer repair but had to approach EPA for Final. Was repaired in AUG of 2006. Repalce shift mod in trans but seems to be getting worse again. Really don't want ot return to dealer as to much run around. Gave me laoner last time (2007) sport utility and it actually came out of gear when driving below 25. Live in Daytona Beach Fl. Vehicle is leased and considering early termination any one else with same problem??????
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    it is all you.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You forgot the :) emotorcon. Attempts at humor can fall quite flat without some visual cues.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kikskiks Posts: 1
    Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum.

I am planning to buy the 2007 Ford Explorer Limited (V8) and was a bit concerned about the transmission isues reported on this forum. Can anyone tell me if these problems have been resolved for the 2007 model year?

Thanks.
  • unless I overlooked something,all of those problems were v6 which comes standard with ford 5 speed trans.Starting in 2006 and with 2007 the explorer has the new 3 valve V8 coupled with a 6speed trans standard. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer and so far no problems. I had a 2004 4.0 V6 which did have a recall. It would hesitate going into reverse and then jerk. but they resolved that problem I beleive with some type of additive.The only thing tranmission wise with v8 that Im not crazy about is after you get to 15 mph it will not kick back into first when you punch it which in my opinion does not justify your get up and go compared to when you punch it when its already in 1st gear. It will then take you to 30 mph before changing to 2nd. not a big issue to me but Ive just never asked anyone.This a reason im a newbie here. Wanted to get some feedback. Overall Im very pleased with this explorer ,V8 power 292hp,comfort and ride.
  • tharrisontharrison Posts: 2
    I have a 95 that does the same thing, took it to a tranny shop & they put the computer on it, I saw what the computer read & it was as follows(4th gear out), tranny man said bad news, 4th gear was completely out, i'm sure it's a selinoid or something simple, I don't know
  • edandlisaedandlisa Posts: 3
    I have a 99 4.0 4x4 Explorer. WHEN YOU PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN FOREFOWARD GEARS IT STAHLS THE MOTOR, IT WORKS IN REVERSE WITH JUST ALITTLE SLIPPAGE, HAS NO NOISE, FLUID SMELLS GOOD AND MOTOR RUNS FINE.
    aNT HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
  • MY 97 EXPLORER XL WONT MOVE WHILE IN DRIVE BUT IF I PUT IT IN SECOND GEAR IT DRIVES THEN I JUST SHIFT UP TO DRIVE BUT I KNOW THIS ISNT GOOD FOR THE TRANNY. IF IT HELP I DO HAVE 4WD AND CONTROL TRACK. THANKS
  • can a 2 wheel drive tranny work in a 4wd? and what is the newest tranny i can put in a 97?
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Buy the way I talked to a transmission mechanics about it and he said that it sounded like a to a torque converter solenoid switch inside transmission pan (easy to get to)so if your suggestion doesn't work I'll try that.
    Thanks Again
  • i have 185,400 miles on my 98 ford explorer, original tranny, shifts great. when it gets ruff i change the tranny fluid and filter and add lubegard (14$ for 1/2 quart) it works great for 5k-10k miles. make sure you do tranny services often. i did have to get my t-case rebuilt back in august, but that was due to 4wd donuts.
    Well torque converter fixed problem of tranny not stahling motor, BUT, now a new one.
    When you first start car it runs through gears as should, but when you come to a stop and start again, it won't shift into O/D, the dummy light comes on and says O/D off.
    Turn off car and start it right back up does the whole thing over again.
    Any suggestion's appreciated
    Thanks
  • :mad: I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer with 17k on it. It was running fine until it it about 15k and now the transmission abrubtly from 2nd to 1st gear just before you stop. For those of you who have never experienced it, it feels as if someone just tapped your car from behind. I have a relative who works for Ford and he said all of the 2006 and 2007 Explorers he has driven (with more than 13k on them) have this problem. It sounds as if there is a TSB out on it but the fix doesn't seem to be consistent. My brother will look into this and I'll let you know the outcome.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Yep - mine is starting to do that too, and we have 15,000 miles on it. Really, that 6 speed transmission is a piece of junk, they really should replace them all.
  • ayarbo1ayarbo1 Posts: 56
    I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac w/4.6L and my truck was doing this until I got the PCM program updated. To resolve the issues that everyone is referring to take your 2006/2007 Explorer to the Ford service departmaent and reference TSB 07-10-12 which was released by Ford on May 14, 2007. It resolves the shifting issues everyone is experienceing. After you have done this, please come back and post your results so everyone else will know as well.
  • eugene69eugene69 Posts: 1
    I recently changed the filter on my explorer's tranny. When Im parked at my house I have to park on a hill, if I park faceing up the hill and try driving it after it's been sitting a while it'll slip out of first gear weather I go up the hill or turn around, but it doesn't seem to do it if I park faceing down hill, and after it warms up it does fine. The trans fluid is full, and I used the correct type of tranny fluid. Is there anything anybody would recomend getting checked?
  • chey7772chey7772 Posts: 1
    I also have your same exact problem. I am going :cry: :cry: to arbitration 07-30-07 for shifter knob issues as well as the problem you discribed exactly. I will let you know how it goes. :lemon:
  • msc1msc1 Posts: 5
    We had the program update as well on our 2006 Eddie Baur Explorer. Worked fine for a couple of weeks then back to the same jerking when the gears shift. We finally traded it in for a 2007 Edge which we love, so far.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    I recenly bought a 94 Explorer and have so far had good service out of it. The previous owner told me they had the transmission serviced at about 110,000 miles. They also said the guy who serviced the tranny recommended that they have it serviced again in about 10,000 miles as it was in bad need of servicing at 110K. I'm now at a little over 120K, but when I checked the fluid a few days ago it looks clean and has no bad odor.

Anyone got any suggestions? I just hate to spend the $$ it will take to have it serviced when I only drive it occasionally, especially if it doesn't really need to be serviced again.
  • I also am beginnig to get the same shifting problems at 17k. I also am having problems getting the truck out of park. Anyone else have that problem? It has happened several times. My lease is up in december and with the early termination program available I may take advantage of it. Just not sure if i want another Ford!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    YEs, had the out of park problem too. They had to replace the release switch. I'd dump that one when the lease is up. As far as another Ford, nobody else has that good of a design for their SUVs. Fords are the best. IMO, they are getting better and better cars out now - the 06s were problematic with the trans. But the 07s have been fine.

Having said that - I hear you, and a 4-runner or Saturn Outlook looks appealing to me.....
  • I have been notified of Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 07-13-8). According to the TSB, some 06 and 07 Explorers, Mountaineers, and Sport Tracs with the 6 spd transmission have problems (we could have told them that). These problems include shifting between P&D, N&D, and R-D as well as problems with the 1-2, 2-1, and 3-2 shifts and even a "hoot" noise during cold 1st gear launches. The service procedure is to reprogram the PCM/TCM. If that doesn't work, then they have to replace the mechatronic assembly (only for vehicles produced before 6/15/06). Note that these procedures are covered under warranty (they have to perform the reprogram first though or it won't be covered).

I have heard through this forum that the fix is temporary for some (at least the reprogramming) so let me know how it works for all of you. If you have only gone in for reprogramming, go back to your dealer and ask them to replace the assembly (they will probably push back on you if your vehicle was built after 6/16/06) unless they have a new TSB. Good luck to you all...and I hope this helps! :lemon:
  • I have submitted an update on this issue including an updated TSB on the issue
  • There is an updated TSB released on June 22 (TSB 07-13-08). See my updated posting
  • I haven't had problems getting it out of Park, but that problem is included in the same TSB from Ford that addresses the shifting problems. I have updated the Edmunds site with the TSB information.
    Still having slip-o-matic problems. I've done it all. I see this is the next step. The dealer says the Mountaineer drives fine to him...when he test drove it with my wife. Any suggestions how to demonstrate this problem to him?
    The SUV tends to hang in suspended animation when pulling out of the driveway on to the highway.... but not every time. You almost have to drive it for a week to get the essence of the problem a 15 minute test drive does not suffice. This will be the 4th or 5th time I have had the vehicle in for the same issue. I feel like a hypochondriac at times.... this would be funny if it was such a dangerous situation especially with all 7 kids inside the SUV.
    Where can I get a copy of this TSB?