Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• rrumbarrumba Posts: 4
    I have a 95 explorer. I had the transmission rebuilt and have installed it. when it came back there was fluid in it and i added another quart before starting it. I let it run for 30 minutes to warm up to operating temp and checked the the fluid level. It is at 1/2 the hatch marks. When i put the car into gear nothing happens. I disconnected the linkage and engaged the transmission in all gears. still nothing. shouldn't the transmission have taken more fluid? What could possibly be wrong now? this is the same thing the transmission was doing when I sent it out to be rebuilt. the shift linkage needs to be replaced because it has broken at the connector which is why i tried the gear range with out the linkage connected.

Anyone have any thoughts? Did i get a transmission fixed that was never fixed? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mav2kmav2k Posts: 4
    the problem is only for the "class leading 6 speed transmission" = JUNK!!, the "class leading 6 speed transmission" come only in the V8 models.

Now you are save, keep away the v8 models. It's a nightmare :lemon:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    As I posted elsewhere, after 10,000 miles and occasional rough downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop, it has not been enough of a problem for me to have bothered to stop at the nearby dealership. If others have a more severe problem, it seems that the solution exists. Buy the service manuals for your Explore or any new vehicle, or just go to ajunkyard and take one apart and you will see that all new vehicles are extremely complex.
  • mav2kmav2k Posts: 4
    "after 10,000 miles and occasional rough downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop" You are a lucky man, my EB ALWAYS rought downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop.

"it seems that the solution exists" Maybe or maybe not, look at the posts........ Sometime work, sometimes Don't work
    "new vehicles are extremely complex"

I agree, and I know it's extremely complex but Complex is diferent to defects.....

The dealer will try fix the problem one more time. Maybe I'll get Better luck this time.
  • t_silvert_silver Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I have the EB edition V8 and have had the valve body and software update back in early February. Everything is great on the truck now. No problems (except the beige interior that has black marks on it). I would have been back sooner but my '05-325i was stolen from my garage!!! Funny they left the more expensive (and probably easier to steal) Explorer!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm very happy with my 06 V-8 as well. Took a couple of trys, but the dealer got mine shifting nicely. I love the car. Sorry about your 325....hope they DON'T find it....you will be better off....
  • dan97dan97 Posts: 1
    I have a 2wd 97 explorer. Will a 4wd manual tranny work in my model or do i have to change the tail shaft ? Or is that even a possibility
  • msc1msc1 Posts: 5
    I also was given the line about the truck adjusting to the way I drive. I also think this is ridiculous. My truck is sitting at the dealership for the 4th time for these same problems with the transmission. Why doesn't Ford own up to the problem with this model and fix them once and for all!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ford does own up to it, and there is a TSB out on the problem. It's the dealers who are too lazy to domesticate a warranty claim with Ford without a computer code because it's more work. They can be fixed, and should be. Try a new dealer, or make this service manager go for a ride with you and show him your problem. That should get you some interest on his part. It's hard to deny these issues if they're with you when it happens. Computer code or not.
  • i am in BBB-FL mediation with ford over downshift issues. 06 explorer v8 limited and want repurchase of vehicle, they counter with 5 year extended warranty, i don't want it cause they can't fix anyway, what good is an extended gonna do. anyone else win repurchase in a lemon law case for transmission downshifting problems ford can't fix?
  • msc1msc1 Posts: 5
    The dealership which now has my Explorer for the 4th time is trying to persuade us to not go the lemon law route. Says they will give us a good deal on a 2007, similar to what we would get going through the lemon law. They haven't shown me any numbers yet, and they would have to give me a great deal on SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN EXPLORER which has the same motor and transmission as the 2006. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Will do the same here.
  • jbuck2jbuck2 Posts: 12
    The transmission spins when I'm trying to accelerate to get across 4 lanes of traffic it feels as if you standing still for a split second. If I do not time it right I could get hit.
  • dcabledcable Posts: 5
    Hello

I will be going to arbitration in Sept in Philly. Pa for the very same shifting issues that all of you are having. Please register your complaints with National Highway Trafic Safety Association @ http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    They are getting quite a few complaints from angry Ford Owners by registering your complaint the Nhtsa will investigate the issue
    Don't let the Dealership sell you a new car just file a lemmon law and you have a great chance at winning!! Also Ford tries to offer us the Extended Warranty ...that seems to be the standard with them! Don't take it because if you do you may not be able to file a lemmon law suit :lemon:
  • mechanic53mechanic53 Posts: 1
    Trans seems to go out of gear when coming to a stop. Engine revs up from 200-300 RPMS when stopping at light or stop sign. Had vehicle in 2 times for same problem said they could find no problem. Have 7500 miles on it since 1/25/06. First problem was bad jerking or loos of power after 42MPH was uncomfortable to use as Factory explained they had new computer repair but had to approach EPA for Final. Was repaired in AUG of 2006. Repalce shift mod in trans but seems to be getting worse again. Really don't want ot return to dealer as to much run around. Gave me laoner last time (2007) sport utility and it actually came out of gear when driving below 25. Live in Daytona Beach Fl. Vehicle is leased and considering early termination any one else with same problem??????
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    it is all you.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You forgot the :) emotorcon. Attempts at humor can fall quite flat without some visual cues.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kikskiks Posts: 1
    Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum.

I am planning to buy the 2007 Ford Explorer Limited (V8) and was a bit concerned about the transmission isues reported on this forum. Can anyone tell me if these problems have been resolved for the 2007 model year?

Thanks.
  • unless I overlooked something,all of those problems were v6 which comes standard with ford 5 speed trans.Starting in 2006 and with 2007 the explorer has the new 3 valve V8 coupled with a 6speed trans standard. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer and so far no problems. I had a 2004 4.0 V6 which did have a recall. It would hesitate going into reverse and then jerk. but they resolved that problem I beleive with some type of additive.The only thing tranmission wise with v8 that Im not crazy about is after you get to 15 mph it will not kick back into first when you punch it which in my opinion does not justify your get up and go compared to when you punch it when its already in 1st gear. It will then take you to 30 mph before changing to 2nd. not a big issue to me but Ive just never asked anyone.This a reason im a newbie here. Wanted to get some feedback. Overall Im very pleased with this explorer ,V8 power 292hp,comfort and ride.
  • tharrisontharrison Posts: 2
    I have a 95 that does the same thing, took it to a tranny shop & they put the computer on it, I saw what the computer read & it was as follows(4th gear out), tranny man said bad news, 4th gear was completely out, i'm sure it's a selinoid or something simple, I don't know
  • edandlisaedandlisa Posts: 3
    I have a 99 4.0 4x4 Explorer. WHEN YOU PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN FOREFOWARD GEARS IT STAHLS THE MOTOR, IT WORKS IN REVERSE WITH JUST ALITTLE SLIPPAGE, HAS NO NOISE, FLUID SMELLS GOOD AND MOTOR RUNS FINE.
    aNT HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!