Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• bradleykbradleyk Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ford explorer with 110,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with it until the other day. I pulled into the store, got my stuff and came back out, backed out of the parking spot, put the truck in drive and the engine stopped. I started it back up and again put it in drive and the engine quit again. I started it back up and tried reverse. It worked fine, I tried drive and the engine shut off again. I put it in neutral and pushed it forward, it rolls forward just fine, but when I put it drive the tranny seems to bind up, as if its in two gears at the same time and the engine dies. I tried swithing to 4 wheel high and low with the same result, something seems to bind and the engine dies. Tranny fluid is full and looks clean. I had a filter and new fluid put in several thousand miles ago.
    Any suggestions?
  • hi i have a 1999 mountaineer 4r70 5.0l awd i need to know which fiting on trans the top or bottom goes to the top radiator fiting ty
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    2 ways to find out :
    #1 disconnect the top line on the radiator, have someone start and shut off the motor while you watch.... or
    #2 wait till tomorrow and ill tell you from the chart exactly which is which
    posted 10:49 pm my time
  • ON A 4R7- SERIES TRANS, THE TOP FITTING ON THE TRANS, FURTHER BACK ON THE CASE, IS THE "RETURN" LINE. THE LOWER FITTING, FURTHER FORWARD, IS THE "FEED LINE" THE LINE THAT COMES FROM THE EXTERNAL TRANS COOLER TO THE TRANS IS THE RETURN LINE. THE EXTERNAL COOLER IS ALWAYS "AFTER" THE RADIATOR, AND IN THE "RETURN" TO THE TRANS.
  • kegerkeger Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 99 ford Explorer 2wd as i was backing up into my driveway it felt as if someone had rear ended me, and could not go reverse anymore? Is this caused by transmission failure? if so what would be my best bet, rebuilt, new, used? Sell truck? Please help!! Thanks!!
  • superx1superx1 Posts: 1
    A week ago speedometer started jumping around to different speeds. Now my speedo reads about 40 when i go 65. Overdrive light blinks on and off and sometimes there is a late shift at lower speeds. Its a 97 Explorer 6 cyl 2door. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • i am noticing slight slippage in the tranny, but only from take-off...there is a slight pause which to me feels like its slipping, and the other day I noticed a slight "clunking" sound as it "paused". I went to check the transmission fluid and to my surprise there is no dipstick to check the fluid, I called the local Ford dealership and I was informed that Ford didnt equip it with a dipstick and that if I want to have the fluid checked I have to take it to them, so tomorrow I get the luxury of paying about fifty bucks just to have the fluid level checked and filled if needed. But between now and then, does anyone know what causes the "slip" or "pause" that i speak of?? I would love to hear anyone elses similar story.
  • rickp11okrickp11ok Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a way to check and fill the transmission outside of dealership involvement?
  • Take it from me, you may want to spend the money and take it to the dealership. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer that had 43,000 miles on it when the O/D light came on and the Check Transmission warning light. It was a Friday evening in traffic of course and I called a Ford dealership. They did not have a transmission tech on site on a Saturday so I took it to an independent transmission shop. My car was slipping from 1st to 3rd gear. Could not happen at a worse time because I was in the process of moving and starting a new job, so I let this shop do the work. The mechanic assured me it was nothing that I did and my transmission failed due to a faulty part. He gave me my old parts back and even wrote a letter and said he would speak with their rep to explain the problem. He said I should not have this type of transmission failure at 43,000 miles. Cost me over $2,200 for a reconditioned one. I have contacted and spoke with 2 customer service reps at Ford Motors and both say they can't do anything because I did not take it to a Ford dealership. If you are having slip or pause problems, take it to the dealership to be on the safe side just in case you end up with a major problem due to their faulty parts.
  • shufedshufed Posts: 2
    I was driving my car everything was fine I did not hear any wierd noises the trans wasnt slipping or anything and i came to a complete stop I tried to go again and my car won't move it won't move in reverse or drive I tried four wheel drive I have tried everything If I get it up to about 4rpm it will slowly roll, I took it into the shop and they want to charge me all kinds of money just wanted to check and see if anybody new what it could possible be Thanks Stephanie
    normally if the trans doesnt move backward or forward its a torque converter failure but if it will move 1 or the other way its inside the trans
  • shufedshufed Posts: 2
    Ok thanks I do not have anyone to tell me if this trans place is trying to screw me they are telling me that they have to take it all apart and it will cost me about 1600 is the torque converter that expensive or that hard to replace?
  • cl3cl3 Posts: 3
    Don't know what this is about, but at least half the time I shift (automatic transmission) into reverse, it slams. Any ideas?

2005 V6
    48000 miles

Thanks!
    common problem with this trans (5R55W) servo bores wear out and the solenoid blk needs to be replaced
  • mshillmshill Posts: 3
    I'm having a very similar problem with a 2000 two-wheel drive, and I've been told it's the solenoid pack in the transmission.........to the tune of $700. I'm not sure about that, and I was wondering if you've been able to determine the problem with yours.

If so, I can be reached directly at mshill@mail.com

Thanks,
    mike hill
  • cl3cl3 Posts: 3
    OK, thanks. There goes more dollars into this thing.
  • I have a 2001 explorer eddy bauer edition with a v8 all wheel drive. Oil seems to be leaking from the transmission to the transfer case. Any idea what could be the problem?
  • I have a 99 with the 5.0 L engine, 89K miles. Trans has been serviced and problem free. The last 10K I've noticed a slight "slip" when in OD and accelerating between ~ 40 to 55 mph, just below what is required to downshift. Anyone have this problem or ideas on cause? I'm thinking I'll just keep it out of OD unless I'm on the highway. Is this a sign of a major problem?
    I bought this truck new, and overall the truck has been very reliable, but I'm wondering if it is time to sell it.
  • I purchased an 08 Ford Explorer XLT V6 2WD with 22,000 miles that appeared to be in excellent condition. At approximately 25, 000 miles it picked up a transmission whine. The dealer's service told me it was normal. Unsatisfied, I contacted Ford Customer Relations. After several communications with them they consulted with the dealer and concurred with the dealer's findings. I find it hard to believe this noise is normal. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what is causing this whine, is it an indication of further problems, and what needs to be done to get rid of it?
  • I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT and had to replace the transmission at 43,000 miles. I got no resolution from Ford's Customer Relations department. I spoke to about 3 different representatives and not so much as a token oil change. If you need to get a second opinion, do so while you still have warranty on your Explorer. The O/D light and "Check Transmission" warning came on. I had no idea my vehicle was shifting from 1st to 3rd gear. I did not notice any prior problems until the warning light.
  • I just replaced my transmission at 90,000miles, it worked well for about 3 weeks. Last night when I pulled into my driveway and put it in park, when I tried to shift to reverse to move, the gear selector would not budge. About 10 minutes later I cranked it up and the selector moved to reverse, then back to drive. Turned off engine, recranked tried to select a gear, it would not move. Still won't move this morning? Any ideas?
  • lehualehua Posts: 4
    Tonight my 2005 explorer's transmission gave out, "Internal Transmission Failure" at 57,000 miles. The seals are in tact, nothing compromised to lead to this major problem. Of course my warranty's expired, and I'm told a new trans cost $2500. I'm in shock and can't sleep, the car is only three years old! I bought it new, how can they dismiss it?
  • lehua,
    I feel your pain. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer and my transmission gave out at 43,000 miles and I also bought mine new. This is my second Explorer. I had a 1998 and traded at 65,000 miles. Never had any problems so I did not purchase an extended warranty. The O/D light and "Check Transmission" warning came on. I thought it just needed fluid. Since it was a weekend the Ford Dealership I contacted said they did not have anyone on site to check transmissions. I took it to an independent and was told a part of the gear was defective. The car was shifting from 1st to 3rd gear and I was in the process of a move so I left it to have checked. Well to make a long story short, I ended up with a $2100 rebuilt transmission. I called Ford Service directly and spoke with 3 reps. Sent letters and received the same crap, since I did not take it to a Ford dealership, there is nothing they can do. I even have the original parts. Have you been to a Ford dealership or tried contacting Ford Customer Service? I don't think I would have gotten any assistance even if I took it to Ford. I hear so much about transmission problems with the Explorer, obviously there was some defective part installed. Oh yeah, now my CD player won't eject CDs and I don't even have 50,000 miles yet...I am afraid what will be next. This will be my last Ford. :lemon:
  • TRANNY SLIPPING - 2000 EXPLORER 4X4 - 6CYL. CHANGED FILTER AND FLUID. NO SLIP FOR ONE WEEK. STARTED AGAIN AND HAD ODOFF FLASH. TOOK TO ADVANCE A FEW DAYS LATER BUT GOT NO CODE READING
    Thank you for your advice! I spent a couple hours on this today and it's being towed from an auto shop to the Ford service shop in the morning. Ford service manager said they would reduce labor cost and give me a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty for $2910.00 on a new transmission (they must have done some revisions).
    I was so close to telling the other auto shop to go ahead and put in a used one for $2000.00, but being the weekend, then reading your reply, well now I know this is the right move. Thank you again
  • I would greatly appreciate some advice. My 97 Ford recently passed "regular" inspection,however, failed emissions testing. Mechanic says it is 1-4 oxygen sensors. Vehicle running fine prior to inspection. Now, without warning, vehicle no longer moves when placed into reverse or drive. I can go forward, up to 20mph, in first and/or second gear, but nothing when in reverse or drive. Could the two issues (emissions/inspection & tranny issue) be related?? My friends say "tranny's gone"...is this true?? Vehicle has 168k miles on it so not sure worth sinking tons of money into, however, not really into position of buying a new one either. Appreciate your help!!
    You are describing the same thing mine did, and mine was the transmission at only 56,000 miles (2005 Explorer). I was able to drive it in 1st or 2nd only long enough to get myself out of traffic danger on a Friday close to 5:00pm.
    It happened without any warnings. The seals were in tact and it was full of fluid.
    You could price a used one or rebuild....
  • TRANNY SLIPPING AT 2500 RPMS AT 30MPH , CODE READERS AT LOCAL PARTS STORES NOT READING TRANNY CODES. HAD TO SEND TO LOCAL COTTMAN TRANS. BLIND AND HOPE FOR HONEST DIAGNOSIS. THEIR CODE READ TO733. THEIR SUGGESTION IS TO REBUILD. COST ARE AS FOLLOWS $1535.00 (WITH $100 COUPON) TO REBUILD AND TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT RECOMMENDED AT $372.00 BRING THE TOTAL TO $1910.00 PLUS HARD PARTS(?) WHAT EVER THAT MEANS. SUGGESTIONS ? COMMENTS?
    I know you can't drive it around to get another estimate but with that info and readings maybe you could call your local Ford dealer and ask for assistance? I was shocked when they came in $300.00 lower than my auto repair guy.
  • edc2edc2 Posts: 1
    i have a 95 explorer with a blown 4r55, and a 94 with a new trans, and blown motor, and an a4od trans, is there any way to put the a4od in the 95 with out a problem ?