Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

97 Toyota 4runner stalling problem

andreaaandreaa Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
in June, Sept, & now Dec 21 stalls in traffic with
no warning. Three time within same 50 foot stretch
of road, approx 35 mins after driving. Dealer
can't find anything wrong, all checks show normal.
Almost caused an accident the other day, so now I'm
terrified to drive it. Has anyone heard of this?
Or experienced similar problem..thx

Comments

• Options
    bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Have you had a chance to look in our SUV Conference topics yet? Use the Search box on the left hand sidebar to find some helpful places to check.

Happy Holly Days!

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
  • Options
    stanleygeorgestanleygeorge Member Posts: 1
    Andreaa .. I have had the same problem, The car always starts after stalling .... but mine are infrequent as opposed to yours which are often. how bout your vin number? send it to me at skiplex@aol.com & i will see if it is close to mine. Also I will look in the service bulletins for 97 & see if toyota has issued anything
    Skip
  • Options
    jdoose1jdoose1 Member Posts: 1
    Andreaa.. I am considering purchasing a 2000 4runner, but am concerned about your experience. Please let me know what engine you have. I am considering the V6 SR5. Also, has Toyota been able to rectify the problem yet? Please reply to jfdoose@AOL.com. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    afonda1703afonda1703 Member Posts: 1
    i have had my 97 4runner sr5 v6 for over a yr. and i have never had a problem as you are describing. in fact, i have had no problems what soever. however i do have a factory recall on the cylinder head gasket. which i also had on my 1992 4runner(v6 sr5). and finally, i do go 4 wheeling on the beach in the outer banks, nc. i have never been stuck and my truck has not been modified in any way.
  • Options
    lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    If you live in Northeast USA, and use M---l gas, see your dealer for the petroleum company's liability for Toyota, Mazda, and others with this problem. Such a big problem here in NJ, we waited for two weeks, with dealer loaner, for part to come in. Not a Toyota defect, but gas company's contaminant. I can't believe this has had so little discussion anywhere on these lists. My first problem was over a year ago! (and have had two more since!)
  • Options
    toyotaluvrtoyotaluvr Member Posts: 2
    We have owned two 4-runners now for the last 7 years. We only put non-alcohol gas in the car. About four years ago we moved to the country and the gas station we frequented didn't exsist, so we started to put in our 2 month old 4 runner gas with alcohol the car stalled 4 times. We changed our gas supplier and have never had a problem since.
  • Options
    toyotaluvrtoyotaluvr Member Posts: 2
    We have owned two 4-runners now for the last 7 years. We only put non-alcohol gas in the car. About four years ago we moved to the country and the gas station we frequented didn't exsist, so we started to put in our 2 month old 4 runner gas with alcohol the SUV stalled 4 times. We changed our gas supplier and have never had a problem since.
  • Options
    bernyjj1bernyjj1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone experience when you hit the brakes you have a mild vibration on the steering wheel and brakes?
  • Options
    espurlingespurling Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 4Runner SR5 w/ 85k miles on it, and have never encountered the stalling problems mentioned. As a matter of fact, other then routine care, I have only replaced a light bulb.
  • Options
    mano2mano2 Member Posts: 9
    What can be the problem with my 1998 Toyota Corolla? I have 28,000 miles on it. When the engine is warm, it wants to stall on me while idoling. If I give it a bit of gas or when the cooling fan kicks in, the engine starts running all right again.
    I just got an oil change and tune up (replaced spark plugs and air filter) about a month ago. My gas mileage is incredibly good, and the car starts without a problem all the time.
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Looks like mano2 found the best topic for this question Toyota Corolla trouble and made a similar post in it. If anyone has any suggestions, please click on that link and post them there.

We'll save this topic for 4Runner problems.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    mano2mano2 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, thank you, I found the other forum and posted my question. I do not mind, however, that I actually posted the same question here. It's possible that stalling is a general problem with Toyotas regardless of being a 4Runner or a sedan. In any case I will not disturb this Forum. Sorry if I created confusion, but I was relieved to hear about the same problem being mentioned by other car owners. Not that it will resolve my problem...
  • Options
    From reading the Toyota Corolla trouble topic here, it sounds like you've gotten a couple of responses in other topics, hope they prove helpful! :-)

Pat
  • Options
    seankellyseankelly Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 SR5 V6 4Runner. I just had the 30K service done. Dealership rotated the tires but did not balance them, since its not required. Now whenever I go over 65mph, whole vehicle starts to vibrate. Steering shakes a lot. Once I pass about 72mph, vibration goes away. Since we have posted speed limits here in Arizona of 75mph, this is a problem.

I have heard from other people that this a tire balance issue. I already balanced tires twice. Does anyone know whats the remedy?
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Have you looked here:

Tires

Your Host, Bruce
  • Options
    Hi folks,

We've had a few topics on problems with the 4Runner lately. Let's get all of our discussion in one place and go over to:

Toyota 4Runner problems? (Topic #1303)

to continue discussing issues with this vehicle.

Pat
This discussion has been closed.