Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Blazer Noises and Sounds

Comments

• Thanks, for info I replaced egr A month ago I will check vacumm lines
  • I have a 2004 Chevy Blazer. It has around 60,000 miles on it. Just recently when it's is 4hi it makes a noise. The only way I can explain it is like a popping noise. It makes this noise about every 10second or so while in 4hi. It is the 2hi 4hi 4 low, 3 push button on the dash. Does anyone have any idea what this could be. A friend said it sounds like an axle or U joint. I just wanna know what I am looking at repair wise, and if it has to be done NOW or if I will be fine for a little while as long as it's not in 4 wheel drive.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
    Brandi
  • So 4Hi - if on dry pavement is probably the wheel hopping as the drivetrain is binding. 3 button part time systems are not designed for pavement ops unless snow/ice or dirt roads. Look under at the CV axles also and see if grease is coming out of the boots. Only other would be the vac line down to teh transfer case or teh 3 port switch is leaking so the front axle coupler is only partly engaging.
  • Sounds like maybe a u-joint,CV Shaft,carraige bearing???
    I don't know where to start and don't have a lot of $$$$ to put out for repairs. Guess I will take it to a guy who is considered a good mech? Got to be careful of taking it to just anyone nowadays!
  • Are you asking about a specific problem with your Blazer?
    Need more info: year, 2wd/4wd, problem, sounds, when/where, etc to try and help.
  • pgurganuspgurganus Posts: 12
    my 2000 chevy blazer is making a sound like a humming or a whining only when rolling tranny not slipping has proper level fluid changed all ball joints idle arm the place i took it did that...im trying to get some help elemitaing this problem i think personally it can be 1 of 4 things and that is either the tranny,rearend fluid or going out ,possibely a bad tire,wheel berring can some one please help me im trying to bring it to get done today but i dont want them to fix things that are not wrong with it id like to know what to tell them to fix...they want to rotate tires but i dont think it is the tires it is a deep humming like a rearend or axel...please help me to know what its possibley gona be causing this so i can bring it to the place today and get her fixed
  • repairdogrepairdog Posts: 948
    You have to narrow the area its coming from down - this is a Chevy so could be lots of things! Is AC off as it occurs? Brakes applied its goes away? Turning more or less? Engine rpms more or less noise? Mileage and 4wd?
    ya ac off or on dosent matter brakes dosent matter ither it still does it..no rpm probs.tranny seems to be biting fine i am gona look in to the rear end at the fluid first .lack of money..lol.can u tell me what kinda tool i need to get the plug out and ill go to the local hardware store get it and some gear oil incase it is low and cross that off the list if not prob..thx
    forgot to say it is a 2 wheel dr and turning dosent bother it ither side u turn to still does it
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Okay, repairdog, here's one that has me stumped. '99, 2wd, 78K. Runs great, no performance issues or CEL.

At 1600-1800 RPM under load, the engine has a light rattle-like sound coming from the front of the engine. Does not occur without a load. I have heard lots of sounds from engines but this is not one I have heard before. Can be sitting still (power brake in drive or reverse) and it isn't coming from the A/C. I figure the engine shifting on the mounts is maybe causing something to touch? Tranny line maybe???

Ever hear this on one of yours?

Thanks,

Jim
    Should be the simple 3/8" drive racket or extension end - just the square end fits in the plug. Remove, and check with your finger fill till comes out with 80w-90 gear oil unless yours has been changed and is other type now. To drain need a suction gun or remove the rear cover, clean it off, new gasket and sealer, replace cover and fluid (about 2 qts). Again U-joints are more common above 100k miles, then if 4wd the transfer csae also has fluid and has 2 plugs so easy (3 button csae is red Dexron and 4 button is blue GM only syn fluid 2qts). Transmissions are normally red Dexron.
    The rear brake calipers do get hung up and the slides need greasing inside the brackets (have to pull off caliper, then pop the rubber boot off the bracket and pull slide bolts out,grease ,reinstall - this is a commonly missed procedure that causes the rears to drag and often eat one side of a rear rotor. Bigger bolts are 18mm not a standard size for most wrech or socket packages you buy but GM uses it alot!
    Yes - 2 common areas:
    1. 99-01 have the secondary air injection system that includes a check valve on each exhaust manifold and they internally rust out and are spring loaded so look at them and the rubber L hose for burn out and if you tap on them and they rattle thats it. Valves are sold at all stores but hoses GM only. They always are rusted/frozen on so you have to remove the 2 small bolts on the exh and change the valve out of the vehicle in a vise or GM has the valve and pipe new so much quicker - no vise forget it.

2. PCV rattle can also occur if you replaced with a cheap aftermarket or the throttle cable has a plastic mount on the rear drivers side of intake that breaks off, cable contacts PCV, noise occurs - zip tie the cable back in place all gone noise - silly but true - common after lower intake gasket done.
    ok repair dog well i took out the plug and cannot feel fluid in there so i went and got 2 bottles of lucas 80w 90 and put in but still noise im thinking i wated too long and need to get the read rebuilt or can it b somthing else :cry:
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a rainy weekend ahead for us here in central Texas, so I will pull the little beast into the garage and see what I can find.

Jim
    Okay, I have been all over that little sucker, and there is no air pump, or valves or anything else in the way of plumbing on the exhaust. So, I checked the emissions label under the hood and it doesn't show one. This blazer was built in 2/99 and sold originally in Texas. Maybe that has something to do with not having the extra controls???

A neighbor mechie heard me describing the noise and he said to check the heat shield on top of the cat. He has seen a couple of these where the spot welds that hold the shield on will pop loose and make a soft rattling sound when the exhaust system flexes under engine load. I will check that out this weekend.
    ok i have come to the conclusion that the rearend is shot and will be locking up in a few miles....whats cheeper junkyard,getsomeone to put in,or get her rebuilt
    Price a rebuild if you have a good drivetrain shop around. I went the other way on a half ton Chevy and found out later I could have had Austin Drivetrain rebuild for less than half what I paid.

That, and you know what you have when you're done. Junkyard diff has no warranty.
  • leftfootleftfoot Posts: 3
    I have 95 :confuse: :lemon: that made a clunking from the drivers side front wheel, turns out that worn out control arm bushing was the cause, letting the wheel flop back and forth enough to make a noise when going over bumps or turning.