Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• No, I live in SC. I haven't had another leak. They got it right the first time. Hope they do as well on yours. Good luck.
  • moisha3moisha3 Posts: 8
    out of curiosity? did the docotr's use weather strip or silicone bead? I didn't and haven't had any leaks so far but noticed that on regular top each corner had a small piece of weather strip...everytime top was down one or the other flew off with the wind..keep weather strip in glove box and ran it across the whole top from corner to corner...cut down on wind noise and still no leaking! as far as ya post-"don't buy a wrangler" my big dog would have a fit if I didn't...afterall ya can't put 225lbs in any four door that I know of...he loves the top down and drooling onto cars that tailgate..
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Moisha, you may have inadvertently fixed the problem when you applied the weather strip. Seems as though it works. There really is no valid excuse for Jeep to have this problem this long. It's not as if they invented the wheel and cannot take it further. happy to hear that you seem to have a solution, and now I'm making a mental note to keep a considerable distance behind you to avoid "drool."

Norm
  • They used weather strips no top and put silicone bead along the bottom on the inside of the windshield. Not sure why they did that, but in anycase, they fixed the problem.
  • yo norm...it's only bad when it's hot, or he drinks and shakes his head, but the drool isn't the deterent...it's his 36" neck, 50" chest and 225+lbs that'll make ya keep ya distance...and he's only a puppy...as far as the weather strip, I caught that one by coincedence when going to put the top up and seeing one side missing...but it does indeed work! I do believe if ya'll could put a bead of silicone across that whole piece it would probably work better, since the weather strip's glue has a tendency to loosen up and go flying down the road...
  • rock62---that one baffles me...inside bottom of window! if anything there is enough of a gap around the outside perimeter where ya could put a molding thus oliviate any water or wind from penetrating to the inside...which is my next move..and if that works I just might patent it and charge Jeep for the idea...but glad it all worked out for ya bud! btw--ya think chrome or black rubber?
  • I am considering the purchase of my third Jeep Wrangler, however I am concerned over the Leaky Lid Syndrome. When I got my '00 TJ, the owner's material (VHS tape) listed the steps for top installation and removal in a specific order. Does the '08 JK have a similar process for top installation and removal? If there is a specific procedure, could the leaks be caused by not following the steps in order?
    I believe that the leaks are inherent in the four door hard top, which removes in sections. Some of the members have been able to stop the leaks using various types of weather seal and/or that old Chrysler standby; dum-dum. I have the rag top, and love it!

Norm
  • Norm,
    Does the soft top leak? It's a shame that Chrysler has not officially 1) admitted that there is a problem, 2) offered a legitimate solution to current owners, 3) ensured that this does not occur on forthcoming models. An old Jeep may leak on its Road Atlas, but a new Jeep should not leak on its Nav System. In my opinion this is a disappointing situation because the Wrangler seems to be a relatively strong product, yet the Detroit 3 ask for a GubMint bailout. Listen to customers, sell what people want, maybe the circling of the drain can be averted. End of rant. Matt.
    Matt, my rag-top Wrangler does not leak. Sometimes after a hard rain, you will get some water coming in when you open the door (no drip channels) but that is very minor and after all, it's not a Volvo. Not everyone gets leakage as I understand it, but enough folks experience it so that we know it's not a phenonoman. Of course, people don't normally report that their vehicle doesn't leak. That is a fair expectation.

Norm
  • Has anyone heard of any revisions for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler/Unlimited? Any unofficially official announcements, rumor, gossip, or BS will satisfy my curiosity. Muchas Gracias.
  • No.. but I have been checking for months since the dealership messed up my order...I ordered the 4 door, 6 speed tranny, Wrangler Sahara Unlimited fully loaded, dual top, nav, etc...after waiting for 4 months, the wrong jeep came in and then I heard about of all the leaks, rust, engine issues, etc.. and as gas prices went to $4, I gave up! Anyway, I have been researching revisions for 2009 but all I hear is that Chrysler is going under and poor quality will continue to be inevitable until another maker takes over completely! :sick:
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    Not many changes. None that would distinguish an 09 from and 08 except color. The main one is that the chrysler sunburst orange color is available and another color is no longer available, can't remember which one, maybe graystone. Also, the power windows and security system option is now standard on the Sahara. I found this out on a jeep geek website I found by searching for 09 changes over a month ago. I saw a bunch of 09's being unloaded off trains at the depot north of Denver two days ago, so I would expect they will be at dealers within the week. How could I tell they were O9's you ask? There were a few orange ones.
    The power windows, remote door locks were standard on the 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door, along with the Sirius Radio and the upgraded sound system and much more.

Norm
  • Since I am a geek, what is the Jeep geek website that you referred to? And, much to my disappointment, no mention of a diesel engine option. Once again Chrysler seems to offer gimmicks instead of substance, new paint colors don't make me want to incur a car payment. Hopefully Jeep will post the new models on their website soon.
  • I was informed that the "Water Doctor" fixed the leak in my Freedom Top a few weeks ago. I was driving this past weekend and it seemed like Niagara Falls in my jeep. Well it is off for round 2 at the dealer. I am convinced I have one of those vehicles that will never be fixed. Luckily in my state it is only three unresolved trips to the dealer to qualify for the Lemon Law.
    I have mixed feelings about this as the Wrangler is an absolute gas to drive.
  • But a very expensive gas! I gave up on my purchase of a Wrangler after my order came in wrong, gas prices sky rocketed and I heard that LEAKS R US for Wranglers...drive rocked especially the tight turning radius but not worth the issues!!!!! :lemon:
  • stu9stu9 Posts: 4
    I read in the latest Australian Buyers Guide in the 4WD & SUV magazine says "Wrangler was rated the worst car overall", in the US magazine customer reports 2008-Owner Survey. So the facts seem to speak for themselves.
    Anyway, I have worked out Chrysler Jeep's translation of the words Freedom Top, it means "the freedom for water to pour into your vehicle from any angle".
    Given the current economical dilemma, one would think that the American automakers would strive to build a consumer-satisfying product. But then again; maybe not.

Bookitty (Norman)
  • candycandy Posts: 4
    i have a 2008 jeep wrangler and when i wash my vehicle and go to get in water pours right into my vehicle and onto my carpets! Or if it's snowing and i park in my garage, i go to get in the next time and the same thing happens over and over again. I went to chrysler and they told me it's a design flaw. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I don't want my carpets to wreck or my jeep to rust.
  • 5500 miles on Wrangler X. This is the third time the car has shown the check engine light and traction control light after flooring the car to pass. The dealer said the first time was a bad sensor, the second time a bad wiring harness. Going in for the third try. Anyone else have this problem? A solution?
  • I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the Freedom Top. I have had nothing but problems with the top leaking and it has been to the dealership 8 times and it is still not fixed! My leak is by the tailgate area and it has started to rust the floor boards, the carpet is moldy, my jack rusted through and the jack even froze solid in the jack compartment over the winter. Everytime that I have taken it back they tell me that they think they have it fixed this time. WRONG! I started a case with Chrysler Customer Service back in March and I am still getting jerked around. No one from Chrysler cares to call me or send me any paperwork about my complaint. In my state 4 repeat attempts to fix is the amount needed for a lemon law. Has anyone been successful in getting a buy back from Chrysler and if so what did you experiece? What was the process? Aside from this problem I am absolutely in love with my Wrangler and I would like to do a swap out for a new Wrangler, but with all of the poor service and the jerking around I may change my mind. :lemon:
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    I just picked up the latest consumer report mag, and in there the Jeep Wrangler got the worst possible score of All SUV's in its class. out of a score of 100 it score 17. reliability was its main issue, along with customer satisfaction.. I was looking at wranglers 2 days before reading this consumer reports. im so glad i read that! Thats the last thing i need is to visit my dealer every other weekend.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    The Wrangler is such a unique class of vehicle, I always had trouble comparing it to something like a Blazer or Explorer. I have to wonder if some of the dings have to do with people expecting the CJ Wrangler to be more of a passenger car instead of an offroading utility rig. Lots of SUVs sure look like big wagons to me.

It's a Jeep thang....

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I have to wonder if some of the dings have to do with people expecting the CJ Wrangler to be more of a passenger car instead of an offroading utility rig.

I agree, although there are two problems with current models that Chrysler seem to have found to be insoluble/not worth bothering with (take your pick).

The first is the water leak issue that most of the hardtops suffer with.
    Second is uncontrollable steering oscillation, often referred to as 'death wobble', that seems to be appearing with increasing frequency on later models in standard configuration.
    It's a phenomenon that's known on earlier models ('06 and back), but usually only in combination with worn joints, larger tires, and a suspension lift.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,907
    My 1999 Sahara has had a few issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little patience and a few dollars. That said, I'm never selling it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• dhoudekdhoudek Posts: 2
    i can't start my jeep and i am out of ideas.
    -fuses all are good
    -battery is good, radio lights all work
    -once i turn the key to "crank" i get nothing
    -touched the "posts" on the starter and i get sparks

am i missing checking something?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Got gas?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dhoudekdhoudek Posts: 2
    yes i got gas..
    i can turn the battery on and my gas gadge goes up to show half a tank
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Assuming it's an '08 it should still be under warranty; let the dealer take care of it.