Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Audio and Entertaiment System Questions

2»

Comments

• rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Shows the MDI and some cables. Also shows the ipod cable for it. Again it requires the RNS-510 which the dealers will offer a retrofit kit for it. Needs a harness or some wiring. The new MDI will finally offer a proper iPod solution. Hope this helps. iPod cable sold seperately. I'm sure there are people wanting a proper VW iPod solution.
    I hate too say this but if you want multi info display integration then you must get the Skoda kit at over 500 USD. You will need to get the wiring for it. Go to www.octavia-vrs.com and click on contact then it will give you the email needed to buy it. There is an installation manual there which has some parts that you will need to buy. A copy of VCDS 805 will also be needed to program the unit. Also the coding can be done at your local dealer.
    1K0 051 437

No more having to import a kit from Europe. Needs to have a phone button and the MFI but all GTI's have this. The unit has full integration and 09 models with navigation get even better touch screen capabilities. It integrates in the Information display and even has it's own method. Order this at your local dealer but it requires dealer installation. Can be done yourself but some extra tools are needed. VCDS will be needed to program it. Better to just have the dealer do it. Right in time for the California ban. Kit costs 300 USD.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    $300 plus installation, that's a little pricey. I just bought a Garmin Nuvi with BT built in for $350. It's not completely "hands free" but it's working nicely and I can transfer it to my other non-nav vehicle.
  • gman31rgman31r Posts: 1
    Hey Mike,

I just got a GTI 2008 and love it too, but the sound system really sucks. I paid an extra $325 for the premium sound and I think it's terrible. All midrange. also the radio reception is weak. Did you have any luck finding a solution out there?

Glenn
    Gman31r
    You can now purchase 1K0 051 437. It's in stock right now at worldimpex but your dealer can install this. No more having to buy a parrot kit or an expensive european kit. Your dealer can install and program it. The long awaited bluetooth kit is here.
    I feel this kit is going to be bad. Other than A2DP no MFI/MFD integration. Uses the phone button but just a simple kit that uses it's own voice recognition. A2DP is a bluetooth profile that streams audio from an A2DP compatible phone to the RNS-510/Premium 8. It does have hands free but the Skoda kit is expensive but has much better integration. Skoda kit has MFI/MFD integration. RNS-510 owners get touch screen info while the factory RNS-510 owners get the inferior kit. Skoda kit retails for 525 USD at octavia-vrs.com while the US kit is around 300 to 346 USD. Hope this helps.
  • Does anyone know if the Sirius receiver built into the GTI supports Sirius a la carte? Much cheaper than the full service. Calls to sirius customer assistance not helpful. Thanks.
    The 2010 GTI will now have full iPod integration. It's available as a $300 addon. It's called the Media-In port. It comes with both USB and iPod cables so you don't need an iPod to enjoy it. 09's with nav need part number 000 051 446 C in order to have iPod integration. Don't use both the USB cable with the iPod cable or else it wont work. You must use the iPod cable when using the Media-In port's iPod feature. There will also be a new HU for 2010 that's touch screen but has no nav. You get a 6CD changer as well as an SD card. It can't play DVD movies though.
  • Did you ever upgrade your sound system? I have the 07 GTI and agree that the system is lacking. Would like to know what others have done (and been happy with) to upgrade their system. Thanks.
  • Connector on IPOD side broke.Best place to buy,if any other than dealer.Price of $40 and higher
    I found it online for under $40 if you search on the internet. Search for p/n 000 051 446 C but you won't find it much cheaper than the dealer though.
  • I posted this on the general GTI forum and didn't hear anything, so I thought I would try herel. I am in the market for a new MP3 player. My 08 GTI has an iPod adapter in the armrest. I was searching by player features, and I have seen a Sony player that seems to be a better buy than the iPod nano ($60 less for equivalent storage, similar other features). My question is, can you get the full functionality in browsing the folders of the player for anything other than the iPod? The Sony doesn't have a dock adapter, just the USB. Just wondering what works, and how others like their choices.
  • geosamgeosam Posts: 18
    Anyone have any comments on being able to play DVD movie in your Nav System?
    The brochure says it will play a dvd. Will it play while you are driving?

Thanks
    Yes but not while driving. Some people have purchased TV in motion adapters which allows you to play DVD's while driving but in some states it's illegal to use this device.
2»