Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Fuel System/Fuel Pump

2»

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    It would help a lot if you would say Classic or Z body and model engine, 3.5 V6 2.4 .
  • tjcotjco Posts: 5
    im sorry, i have a 2001 Z body with a 3.5L V6
    First Z body came out 2004.
  • Exactly where in the body harness did you find the corrosion? thanks
  • amtknamtkn Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 malibu it wont start i checked the fuel pump and it works and got 55psi at the fuel rail. the fuel pressure regulator is new and it still acts like it will start but dont i had it hooked to a computer and it said something bout gas exhaust malfuction. I checked the coil pack and it works it is getting gas but wont start just turns over starts for second then dies. can anyone help me or point me in the direction
  • I have a 1999 malibu..and having a problem with the fuel guage. its seems to never go below 1/2 tank. when i fill up, it reads full. when it reaches 1/2 it starts to go back up to full [indicating empty (I found that out the hard way)]. anybody have any ideas or know what I'm talking about? If i don't seem to be clear enough, let me know..overall it read fine(figurativly speaking). i.e: when half empty it reads 1/2..ok..when tank is at 1/4, guage reads 3/4..following me?..then when tank is near empty, guage reads "F" (full)..anyone else have this problem?
  • I have a 05 Malibu LS 3.5L V6. I have been having a issue with my fuel guage. If i fill up my car the gauge will drop to empty. Once i drive and burn some of the gas out it will read full until i get below half a tank. If i sit idle more than a few seconds it will drop to empty. i have only noticed it sputtering one time while idle. any suggestions other than a new fuel pump?
    The fuel sender in the tank is replaceable, no need for pump assembly.
  • i have an 03 malibu that at first thought the fuel pump was bad.checked pressure with gage at rail test port and showed to be 55psi,from what i understand is good.car will start for sec
  • Hi new to site I have a question for amtkn did you ever find your problem as I have the exact problem you had.(#37 of 41).
  • Last year I replaced the fuel pump. Now the car acts like no fuel to the engine. I'm not the most car junk savy but i'll do me best. Take fuel line from before filter fuel coming out. and after filter fuel coming out. so nothing to injectors. Spary either in some what carberator and car runs until either can is empty. What do I do?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    May need new pump, this time buy a AC Delco pump, lots of junk on the market.
  • I have the same problem with my 2001 Malibu. Have you been able to solve this problem with your car?
  • Hi,
    Helping my dad and mom fix their 03 Malibu today. 2 months ago they broke down on the side of the road. Some garage towed it and said the battery needed to be replaced for some reason and now also the fuel pump. 700 parts and labor for fuel pump job!! All three of us were concerned, the fuel pump thing seemed coincidental and strange, we gave them paid the bill and let it go. So now, the car broke down in the driveway. Decided the plugs and wires were way overdue, might as well change them finally, we thought it was the problem for sure. No start. After much stress on the heels of the last bill, my Dad looked in the manual in hope of finding something to try. Alas, turn the key to on but not start postion. Wait ten mins. Turn it back off and then start the car. Car started! Now I'm really curious about the last fuel pump job. I made the guy give me the old pump and maybe I'm just an overly suspicious A hole but i'm gonna take that old pump to one or two friends and see if I can get it tested. Let me know if this works for you and how it goes. I'll help more if I can.
  • rab55rab55 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 chevy malibu LS 2.2 I just put a new fuel pump in today when I got it all back togother I turn the switch on and it reads full and I only put 2 gollons of gas in to get to the gas station and I put in 3 more gollons to see the out come and it moved down from the full mark to the 3/4 mark, it is reading backwork. Anyone else having this problem???
  • same exact problem with my car today! what was the problem with your car? im going to take my car into a shop today, but if you could tell me what happened to your Chevy that would be great. i don't want to get ripped off.
    :surprise:

your quote: "I have a 05 Malibu LS 3.5L V6. I have been having a issue with my fuel guage. If i fill up my car the gauge will drop to empty. Once i drive and burn some of the gas out it will read full until i get below half a tank. If i sit idle more than a few seconds it will drop to empty. i have only noticed it sputtering one time while idle. any suggestions other than a new fuel pump?"
  • dtimmonsdtimmons Posts: 2
    I have 240,000 miles on my Malibu, and up to now, have had great luck with it. Last summer, on a 100+ temp summer day, I was driving interstate and got to a traffic jam, everyone stopped. As I was sitting there for about 5 minutes, my engine started sputtering, the tach dropped and the engine died. I restarted it without much problem, but got scared and turned around and drove another route home without problem.

Hadn't had this problem again until now. Now, it is doing it after the car warms up, and when I pull up to a stop light, or even while I am driving down the road around 35 mph. It sputters, power drops, and then dies. I can get it started after a few sputters, and then drive it short distance, and then it does it again.

Anyone experience similar problems? My mechanic checked the engine but it hadn't thrown any codes and the engine light hadn't come on when it was doing this!
  • Did you ever get an asnwer on this issue? I am having the same problem. Mine only shuts off when I turn on the air conditioner and slow down. If I am on the freeway and going at a good speed I can have the a/c on but if I slow down the car with start to sputter and then die if I don't shut off the a/c quickly.
  • 2005 malibu maxx 3.5. stalls when it warms up. changed EGR and cleaned the throttle body. i am trying to locate the fuel pressure regulator, but it doesn't seem to have one. there is nothing near the fuel rail and no vacuum coming off the intake. anybody have any ideas??????
  • Per Chilton's:

The fuel pressure regulator is contained in the fuel pump module near the fuel pump outlet. The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm relief valve. The diaphragm has fuel pressure on one side and regulator spring pressure on the other side. The fuel pressure regulator is not vacuum biased. Fuel pressure is controlled by a pressure balance across the regulator. The fuel system pressure is constant.
2»