Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Hi, I just bought a 90 civic wagon awd
    and it came with NO drivers manual-
    I could use a little explanation in regard the the gear shifter(automatic transmission)-
    Under the D (drive indicator) in my instrument panel- the S3 has a little green blinking square around it....what is it and why is it blinking?
    What does the 'S' stand for-
    AND while I'm at it, what is the Low Hold System and Shift Lock Release down on the consul-
    Any info would be ever so appreciated!!! Thanks :)
  • Hi blueiedgod,

Thanks for the info. I did overlook the fact that the bulb has two filaments. I checked my car again and did notice that one filament was not lighting up. So thankfully, all I have to do is replace the bulb like you said. I guess now all I have to do is figure out how to access the bulb. :) I'll keep the removal of the wheel well liner in mind. Thanks again!
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    My 2001 4 door civic ex just hit 50000 miles. All has been good up until recently, when my power door locks have started acting up. When I hit the unlock switch on the driver's door all of the doors would unlock except for the right rear. As time progressed, the rest of the doors have slowly stopped reliably locking and unlocking. Right now, my driver's door lock is the only one that consistently unlocks and locks. These symptoms occur both when I use the remote or the door switch. The weirdest part about it is that all of the doors 'click' like the lock actuator is working, but none of them actually unlock. If any one has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
  • I had a tune-up (plugs, cap, wires and timing- belt, a couple of filters) about 5,000 miles and $650 ago. Brakes have been changed twice, exhaust system has been done over totally minus the convertor at least twice. Radiator and thermostat was replaced last summer. Any other clues?
  • kat95kat95 Posts: 49
    A rapidly blinking turn signal is a blown bulb or is about to go, I had the same thing happen.
    Hope this helps
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I had a tune-up (plugs, cap, wires and timing- belt, a couple of filters) about 5,000 miles and $650 ago. Brakes have been changed twice, exhaust system has been done over totally minus the convertor at least twice. Radiator and thermostat was replaced last summer. Any other clues?

I think the 94 DX was fuel injected, but not 100% sure.

Do you have the exact breakdown of what was done at tune up? Timing belt replacement alone could cost $500, which means that some things were skipped, like PCV valve, fuel fulter, infireor plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor.

It could also be fuel pressure regulator. At the end of the fuel rail there is a valve. You can get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and see what the fuel pressure is, should be about 30, or whatever the manual states.

One of the injectors may be sticking.

Idle vlave could be faulty.

Brakes would have nothing to do with the engine idle speed.
  • I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX which I love I might add. The problem is, lately I will for instance drive my car to the post office with no problem. When I get back in the car and try to start it, it won't start like it is flooded or something. After I put my foot on the gas for a long time it eventually starts.It is continually doing this. If i let it sit overnight it starts just fine but when I turn it off and try to start it again, it won't start. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Leaky injectors maybe?
  • Does anybody know how to locate the main relay in a 1999 Honda Civic EX? I need to test it but I don't know how to get to it.
  • I've got a 1990 Civic DX, with an automatic. It has about 110,000 miles on it. Lately it has been losing power when I go to merge into traffic or leave from a stop sign. Sometimes I can recover it if I put it into neutral and feather the gas pedal, other times it stalls. Sometimes it restarts quickly, other times it does not. The repair shop doesn't have any ideas...any owners who do?
  • Check fuel pump pressure and volume. You might want to put this engine on a computer, to see the condition of the ignition system.
  • Thanks...they had it on a computer today. No codes unfortunately. They said fuel pressure was fine, but were unable to test it while driving.
  • Does your vehicle have a flexible hose for the air intake system? If it does, look for holes, (openings), in the hose. All the incoming air must be accounted for by the computer. The engine rocking on the motor mounts could be opening the air hose, especially if it is pleated type, and in the process, allowing additional un-measure air into the engine thus giving the engine a lean mixture. By placing the trans in neutral, you take the load off the engine, and the openings in the hose close, so the engine recovers. Check all the intake hose connections. Make sure everything is clean and tight. Question: ---- Is this issue temperature sensitive? Does the problem occur when the engine is at normal operating temperature, or does it only occur when the engine is cold? If it is temperature sensitive, make sure that the connections are clean and tight to the temperature sensor on the engine. The computer needs to know the temperature of the engine to set the proper air fuel mixture. Just a thought! ----Greg
  • Ok my cd player out of my 95 honda civic ex got stolen and untill i can get a new one i have to use the factory tape deck. It has been working just fine till yesterday. I have a tape addapter for my cd player, when i put the tape in it just flips it over and over. Like if i was to have a normal tape in and it was to get to the end of one side and flip it over. I have tryed cleaning it, reseting it and getting a new adapter. Nothing is working THE RADIO IS DRIVING ME NUTS!! I need help i know nothing about tape decks and have no clue what to do to fix it??? Any ideas anyone??????
  • Hi, I just bought a 90 civic wagon awd 80K miles
    I could use a little explanation in regard the the gear shifter(automatic transmission)-
    Under the D (drive indicator) in my instrument panel- the S3 has a little green blinking square around it....what is it and why is it blinking?
    AND while I'm at it, what is the Low Hold System and Shift Lock Release down on the consul-
    I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX which I love I might add. The problem is, lately I will for instance drive my car to the post office with no problem. When I get back in the car and try to start it, it won't start like it is flooded or something. After I put my foot on the gas for a long time it eventually starts.It is continually doing this. If i let it sit overnight it starts just fine but when I turn it off and try to start it again, it won't start. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?

99 EX is fuel injected VTEC engine, pressing the gas should not make a difference, unless it is not getting anough air. PRessing gas on FI car only opens the trottle plate, it does not inject more fuel in the combustion chamber.

Does the car crank when you try to start it? Is it just canking over without catching? How is the fuel pressure? Spark? Filters? How many miles and when was the last service perfomed (what was done compre to what the manual says to do)?
    I've got a 1990 Civic DX, with an automatic. It has about 110,000 miles on it. Lately it has been losing power when I go to merge into traffic or leave from a stop sign. Sometimes I can recover it if I put it into neutral and feather the gas pedal, other times it stalls. Sometimes it restarts quickly, other times it does not. The repair shop doesn't have any ideas...any owners who do?

Carb? Plugs? Fuel filter? Air Filter? PCV? Dirty oil?
    Ok my cd player out of my 95 honda civic ex got stolen and untill i can get a new one i have to use the factory tape deck. It has been working just fine till yesterday. I have a tape addapter for my cd player, when i put the tape in it just flips it over and over. Like if i was to have a normal tape in and it was to get to the end of one side and flip it over. I have tryed cleaning it, reseting it and getting a new adapter. Nothing is working THE RADIO IS DRIVING ME NUTS!! I need help i know nothing about tape decks and have no clue what to do to fix it??? Any ideas anyone??????

You nedd a tape adaptor that has gears in it. Some cassette decks, not just in cars, sense the end of tape by the lack of movement in the source reel, while others sense the lack of movement in the receiving reel, and the third kind uses a pin that pushes on the tape before it gets to the reader head. Whe tape ends, either the source or receiving reels stop moving, or the tape's tension pushes the pin up to stop the play function.

Try plaing a tape in the cassette deck and se if it still flips it. BTW, for the cost of two cassette adaptors you can get a cheapo CD player at Best buy or Circuit city.
    Hi, I just bought a 90 civic wagon awd 80K miles

All I know about Honda automatics is that if the ring around the gear indicator is blinking that is code for malfunctioning transmission.

S3 is probably sport, there should be an S4 to the right of it, and when you press the "overdrive" button on the shifter, it should shift from S3 to S4. I have that on my 88 Prelude 4WS. This was Honda's first attempt at manuamatics. The ones that have S3/S4 side by side have an electronically contorlled tranny, rather than mechanical tranny.

Shift lock release is when your tranny intelock is malfunctioning you can manually release the tranny from park.
  • thank you very much..that does clear some things up!!
  • I'm thinking about buying a Honda Civic as I want something more fuel efficient and I was wondering if any of you are having any problems with rust. It seems that many Honda's I see on the road have rust especially around the locks and latches. They don't look to be very old. If you have rust, how many years before it appeared? I have a 94 Mustang driven through all kinds of weather in the midwest for the last 11 years and it has 120,500 miles on it with no rust at all. So, I've been hesitant to go with a Honda because of the rust issue. Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
  • time to change the head gasket. I just had the same thing happen to my 92 civic .Make sure your head is not warped before replacing the gasket.There is a kit that honda sells for leaking gaskets. The kit has a different gasket and head bolts. Honda also has a service bulletin out on this problem.
    I'm thinking about buying a Honda Civic as I want something more fuel efficient and I was wondering if any of you are having any problems with rust. It seems that many Honda's I see on the road have rust especially around the locks and latches. They don't look to be very old. If you have rust, how many years before it appeared? I have a 94 Mustang driven through all kinds of weather in the midwest for the last 11 years and it has 120,500 miles on it with no rust at all. So, I've been hesitant to go with a Honda because of the rust issue. Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I would think that any car will rust if not washed and taken care of properly. I have an 88 Prelude that is starting to rust around the wheel wells, but that is because the previous owner never fixed the paint chips.

Newer Hondas come with rust perforation warranty for something like 5 or 6 years and unlimited mileage. I have not had rust issue on my 85 Civic (250,000 miles), 99 Civic, 2001 CR-V, or the current 2002 Si.

I think this would be more owner dependant than anything, although Honda does have some rust prevention coating on the insides of the panels. You can also rust proof it at a car wash or a dealer, although I doubt that it would be better than OEM rust proofing on the car already.
  • jmz23qtjmz23qt Posts: 1
    My 93' Honda civic started fine and the clutch was fine also. i went away for 2 days came back to start my car and the clutch pedal was pushed all the way to the floor and i had no clutch. I couldn't shift into any gears and the pedal was all the way down. Once i warmed the car up a little bit the clutch pedal was better but barley any clutch . Has anyone had this problem or can someone tell me if this means i need a new clutch altogether.
  • mnavamnava Posts: 5
    Honda Civic 99 – 65k miles
    Hi everyone, I need help here. I have been reading a couple of messages here to try to figure out the problem, but I ran into so many different scenarios that I got lost. I am also afraid of getting ripped off. So, basically I have the check engine light on for a few weeks already and now the car shakes and looks like it is going to die when stop at the traffic light. I disconnected/connected the battery and light was off when I turn the key, but it came back on after 10 sec I started the car. It does not seem to overheat.
    Please any help is valuable. Thanks
  • Could it possibly have been that you thought you had a lot of clutch left when you really didn't? When the clutch was working before you noticed the problem, did you have to draw the pedal almost all the way out to get any friction? If so you had a clutch on its way out. That's a start for you, maybe need a little more information to try and help you better.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The engine control computer has stored a diagnostic trouble code relating to the affected circuit. AutoZone will retrieve the codes no charge. Post them. Any other approach is guesswork.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Sounds like a slave cylinder problem. Check the fluid level and moisture content. How cold was it? Brake fluid accumulates moisture.
  • mnavamnava Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot, i will bring it in.
    Sounds like a slave cylinder problem. Check the fluid level and moisture content. How cold was it? Brake fluid accumulates moisture.

I am not sure if 93 Civic had hydraulic clutch, I am pretty sure it was a cable clutch.

My 93' Honda civic started fine and the clutch was fine also. i went away for 2 days came back to start my car and the clutch pedal was pushed all the way to the floor and i had no clutch. I couldn't shift into any gears and the pedal was all the way down. Once i warmed the car up a little bit the clutch pedal was better but barley any clutch . Has anyone had this problem or can someone tell me if this means i need a new clutch altogether.

Sounds like JMZ23QT needs to get the cable adjusted as it may have just stretched. I highly doubt that a worn clutch would cause the pedal to sink. A new cable may be in order as well.

Another possibility is the trow out bearing. It is difficult to diagnose without seeing the actual car.

Locate the cable connected to the lever on the tranny, and have someone press the clutch, see if the lever moves. If not, it is the cable. If the lever moves the full range of motion, then look for trow out bearing, or the clutch plate itself. This will require the removal of tranny from the vehicle (minimum $200 charge). Of you can just bench press the tranny your self while the car is on jack stands. I did that in a VW to replace the clutch. The clutch it self will cost you about $80 with all associated hardware.
This discussion has been closed.