Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• The range posted on edmunds is simply the Miles per gallon * the fuel tank capacity. More than likely you are not filling it up all the way when you gas up, as the auto shut off kicks in on the pump. Also their capacity on the fuel tank specs is only an approximation and varies from vehicle to vehicle on the actual size of the tank. That is my opinion on you not getting the range edmunds posts.
    The D3 on the shifter cuts out overdrive. This may help you in some instances on fuel economy. If you feel the car cycling between overdrive (4) and 3rd gear frequently during your normal driving, then use D3, especially if you are climbing hills a lot and it "kicks down" into 3 to maintain speed. That uses more fuel. 2 is strictly only second gear. It will not shift into any other gear. 2 is good when you are starting from a slippery spot (snow, ice ) when wheel spin is encouraged further due to less traction. 2 will help you to avoid that because it will start the transmission in 2 instead of 1.
    Check your filter like dudka said. If its dirty it will hurt fuel economy because the proper air/fuel mixture will not be there and the engine will compensate by using more fuel due to less air.
    Hope this helps...nick
  • Howdy folks,

Note: I posted a similar the Civic Hybrid forum, but since the CVT transmission is available on some of the other Civic models I thought it would be useful to post this here as well....

I bought a 2004 honda civic hybrid, with the automatic CVT transmission,
    about 4 weeks ago. I've put about 650 miles on the car, and so far I've been
    pretty pleased.

However, yesterday (Fri, Dec 12) I came home to a message on my answering
    machine from the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the
    car.

He stated that he had been informed by Honda America that my car was one of
    105 cars in the US that "have an issue with the steel drive belt in the
    transmission" and that my transmission in my brand new car would have to be
    REPLACED! Yes - completely replaced...

I've seen a message on another car forum about somebody in the same bind (problem with a CVT on a honda civic)...

More to come as I learn more from the Honda service manager...

--Paul
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Has anyone here experienced any major electrical issues? My friend's Civic is having problems stalling while driving, problems with the dash and a grinding noise coming from the brake system. Just a few days ago, smoke was eminating from under the hood. He had the vehicle towed to the dealership and the service guys looked at it for about 15 minutes. They said nothing is wrong.... This is a catastrophic failure. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
  • I have 1999 Honda Civic LX. Have had the car two years and never any problems, until the other day. On my way to work, stopped to get gas, left station, ran an errand, then on the way out of town, the check engine light came on and when I came to a stop light and let off the accelerator, the car died. It started back up, but at the next light, died again. It won't hold an idle but seems to drive fine. I decided to skp work and see if I could get it home. Everything seems fine, except for the check engine light and won't hold an idle. Any ideas???
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    We would need more info, like year, trim, auto/manual, ABS/no ABS, A/C no A/C, stuff like that
    Did you leave the car running while filling up? That would trigger the check engine light.
    Do you have auto or manual?
  • snarkssnarks Posts: 207
    Get the code scanned and it will tell you what is wrong. Autozone does this sometimes for free, but this is your step to figuring out the problem, everything else is a blind guess. The gas cap has nothing to do with this as the car won't idle.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,603
    Why do you feel you are in a "bind"?

they are going to replace your transmission and your problem will be solved.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Dudka: 2003 Honda Civic EX 5-speed w/security system.... I am not sure what is up with this car.... Any ideas?

Original post:
    Has anyone here experienced any major electrical issues? My friend's Civic is having problems stalling while driving, problems with the dash and a grinding noise coming from the brake system. Just a few days ago, smoke was eminating from under the hood. He had the vehicle towed to the dealership and the service guys looked at it for about 15 minutes. They said nothing is wrong.... This is a catastrophic failure. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
    Ok, the grinding noise from the brakes is either ABS working, or rust on the rotors. In this winter weather and salt on the roads, it takes a couple of hours of sitting and the rust forms on the rotors. If your friend feel vibration when the brakes a grinding then it is ABS kicking in.

Stalling while driving: you have to be more specific about it, like speed and RPM, direction (either turning or not), whether this is this person's first manual car.

I don't know what problems you are having with the dash. There is not enough information.

As far as smoke goes, what did it smell like? Was it sweet, blue, dark, white? Sometimes when you go through a car wash in winter and drive out all the water that was sprayed on the hot parts will steam up.
  • My current tank of gas lasted 260 miles... in the city. The air filter is perfect, new, the spark plugs look to be burning clean and do not look particularly foul, but 'used'. I bought this car with 20K miles on it and am wondering why it's not getting the gas mileage, not even close to what it should get. Could a defect in the engine, or part be causing this? Though the car RUNS so smooth, it's hard to believe anything is wrong at at all. My gas light is on right now so tomorrow I will see how many gallons it needs exactly, but my guess is at least 12, right? I mean the car comes with the 13.2 gallon tank, right? Or do the Civic LX tanks vary in size? If I need 12 gallons of fuel, that means I'm getting 21 miles per gallon.... what happened to 29? THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE! WHAT should I do, where should I start to get the true mailage advertised?

I do drive in a city with inclines, I try not to gun the engine, and the car runs like a top, why the foul milage?
  • My '99 CR-V has a 15 gallon tank, but the light comes on with about 3 gallons left in the tank. I suspect when you fill up tomorrow it'll be closer to 9 gallons than to 12. Let us know how many gallons and miles. And have you checked the air pressure in your tires recently?

Good luck!
  • Oh yeah, pressure is checked, in fact the tires are brand new GoodYear tires also... AND I had an alignment done this week.

Although, right now I am delivering Pizza in it and it does require a lot of '1-2 mile' trips where I shut the car off, then turn it back on... that could be where I'm losing gas mileage... but (if it were) 8 miles per gallon or so?

Oh well, I will find out tomorrow, thanks for the help. Does anyone know if a 'warranty covered' part could account for this? I may just replace the plugs. The ones in it now are not factory, so I know the plugs have been changed at least ONCE. They are KMG plugs. How often should the plugs be changed?
  • bd21bd21 Posts: 437
    I doubt anything is wrong with your car. If you are taking lots of 1 and 2 mile trips delivering pizzas in hilly terrain, you are going to get lousy gas mileage. That is not considered anything close to normal city driving, so you can't expect to get the EPA rating for city MPG. The factory spark plugs are rated for 100,000 plus miles. If you car is less than 3 years old from original purchase and has less than 36,000 miles you can take it to a Honda dealer to see if something is really wrong with your car. The fuel light usually comes on with about 3 gallons left in the tank like previously stated. The only way to check your true mileage was what was suggested on a previous post.
    "Although, right now I am delivering Pizza in it and it does require a lot of '1-2 mile' trips where I shut the car off, then turn it back on... that could be where I'm losing gas mileage... but (if it were) 8 miles per gallon or so?"

Delivering Pizzas will do that, you are not doing just "city" stop and go, but start/shut down. Start up is when you use most of the fuel.
  • For all those following my lil panic attack here are the numbers:

Well, you guys were right... I only needed 10.5 gallons of gas, odd the light would come on that soon, who woulda thunk?

10.5 gallons

267 miles driven =

25.4 miles per gallon, that I can live with. I realized there would be a drop off because of the stop and go driving I'm currently doing, but NOTHING at 20 mpg or UNDER would have been acceptable, and at the time I posted this, that's what I envisioned I was getting. Thanks for all the help... however the LX still has the worst stock cd player I've ever seen and the car seems generally under powered, but those things I can live with.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,603
    " A tempest in a teapot"...Problem solved!
  • Hi-

At last fillup, with 10.825 gallons and 300-something miles I only got 30.4 mpg. I was expecting the mininum of 33/37 with my car. Of course, I only have 1505 miles on it as of today (just got it a couple of weeks ago).

Will my mileage improve with time? I don't gun my engine, I'm a pretty adept with a 5-spd (know when to shift for maximum efficiency) and I don't speed on the highways (been told efficiency drops off after 60+ mph).

Help!!!

Thanks,

MattPDX

mattpdx@hotmail.com
  • Never allow your fuel level to go that low in your tank. Assuming that the fuel pump is located in the tank, fuel is used to keep it cool while operating. Low fuel can damage a pump! ----Greg
  • snarkssnarks Posts: 207
    Low fuel can damage a pump, but the light indicator in a Honda Civic allows for a 2+ gallon reserve of fuel, more than enough to lubricate the pump and get you to the nearest fueling station.
This discussion has been closed.