Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• maz1120maz1120 Posts: 3
    Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in? If so, then it sounds like a clutch bearing problem which basically means your clutch is shot. The spinning noise you hear is the clutch bearing spinning because the teeth are worn. Once you push the clutch in, the pressure plate engages the clutch disk which stops the spinning and disengages from the trans so you can shift, once the clutch is released, the process reverses and everything is spinning freely again. To tell you the truth, I've yet to fix mine, it's a little annoying but I don't feel like putting another clutch in quite yet. I think a stock Honda clutch should only run you about 2-300 hundred labor included.
  • Tell me MAZ1120.. If it is the clutch bearings the problem would you have any idea how long the clutch would last, I had mine for about 6 years like that and still running without probles just the noice, and yes when I push the cutch in the noice goes away. but within the time the noice goes louder, at the sametime the noice I won't hear it but when I driving for about 20 mintus comes back...I'll have the clutch check. Thanks for the second tip.
  • maz1120... tell me I when and check racin clutch for my civic, what I need the bearings would be this what they sai in this?.....eCLUTCHMASTER STAGE I STREET ORGANIC® Racing Clutch Kit (**The throwout bearing and pilot bearing included. )
  • Hi,

I have a 99 Honda Civic CX hatchback with 79,000 miles. The car has been good to me for 5 years and now all of a sudden the "Check Emissions" light came on. Not the "Check Engine" but "Check Emissions"....it was at Napa Auto for 4 days while they were trying to diagnose the problem. First they thought it was a problem with the computer, then the wiring, finally they replaced the O2 sensor and gave me the car back. 4 days later the "Check Emissions" light is on again. The car also feels like it's going to stall at stop lights. I'm at my wits end with this car now! I just want to get it fixed!! I'm bringing it back to the shop again today so hopefully it will not take another 4 days to find out what the problem is and fix it. Is this car even worth it anymore? I was thinking of purchasing a new Civic coupe but after reading all the posts on this message board it seems like things are rough all over. Any suggestions or other experiences would be super helpful! :cry:
  • weeziweezi Posts: 1
    I bought a 1985 Honda Civic Wagon two months ago. The car has low mileage 101,000. My temp gauge went all the way to top last weekend. I pulled over immediately, so the car did not overheat, but the engine was very hot. I let the car sit for a while before I started engine. It started out cool, but guage eventually climbed to the top after 30 minutes.I had the car checked, and had to replace the Radiator Cap, Thermostat , Electrical Motor Fan, and had the radiator flushed. The mechanic checked the sensor and water pump which was fine. I am now driving the car, but temp gauge stays in the middle and sometimes it goes over the half way mark, but comes back to the middle. Should I be concerned? The temp gauge started acting up when the weather started to get real hot.
  • daniraindanirain Posts: 1
    My husband rear ended someone in our 97 Honda Civic. It sustained minor front end damage that we had repaired. But now the Speedometer is not working. It just bounces around instead of reading the speed. We were told it might be the Speed Sensor Assembly unit, so my husband replaced it. Well that did not fix the problem. Any ideas??? Thanks! ~Dani
  • cbdcbd Posts: 1
    Folks - newbie to this board looking for help to fix my daughters 1976 Hondamatic (civic). Her indicators don't flash any more! They come on and stay illuminated but don't actually flash on and off as they should. The hazard warning system works perfectly and usually the indicators will work for a few flashes after the hazard warner has been on but then they just stay on.

I have checked and cleaned the switch on the steering wheel, checked the fuses, replace the little unit that does the actual switching all to no avail. All the bulbs appear to be ok although when the indicators are flashing the oild/generator lights on the dash do pulse.

Can any one help please?

Cheers

Chris :blush:
  • bluearmbluearm Posts: 6
    I bought a 98 honda civic hatchback dx automatic two weeks ago. I like it,but the only disappointment i have is the MPG i got only 24 mpg :cry: . which i thought i would get 30 mpg or more! any suggestions to improve my gas mileage?! :confuse:
  • greenzengreenzen Posts: 1
    Hi,

How to can I replace a radiator on a 91 civic dx hb? I bought the radiator and the haynes manual but the manual illustrates an earlier model, probably an '88 civic instead of a 91 civic.

thanks. :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    No differences between an 88 and a 91.

It's a pretty straightforward job that shouldn't require a manual.
  • I have a 1996 Honda Civic LX with 87K and have noticed that the gas pedal seems to stick when pressed after being completely released. I just purchased this car from an older couple who have done all the scheduled maintanences but couldn't tell me how long this has been going on. The problem is most noticeable when starting from a complete stop and makes a smooth start almost impossible. There doesn't seem to be any resistance to pedal movement the pedal is pressed with the engine off. I haven't looked at the throttle cable yet and figured I would see if anyone had ideas on what might be happening. I am no mechanic but did have a 1983 Porsche 944 for many years and so picked up some knowledge from its frequent breakdowns (it was a fun but frustrating time in my life). Any advice would be helpful as I am a student and would rather do as many repairs myself. Thank you for your help.

Johannes
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Clean the throttle body. Remove the air intake ducting, have someone hold the throttle wide open, spray in a liberal amount of air intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), scrub the throttle body bore and throttle plate including the back side with an old toothbrush, clean out the residue with clean rags, done deal.
  • Can do, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know when it works.

Johannes
  • stanbam3stanbam3 Posts: 6
    If the tailpipe is black after you wipe it immaculately clean...your valves are too tight, the pinging is do to the newer fuels which your ( and my 92 VX) have a hard time running on...even with premium.
    Most mechanics are have fisted but Hondas require a delicate hand in valve tightening. Been there.
    Good luck!
    I use ETHOS, www.dieselsmoke.com and get great results but with the introduction of MTBE's...gasoline is as good as dishwater in my Civic.

Peace
    Stan
  • cwarfordcwarford Posts: 1
    Question about Canadian 5MT 04 Civic SI Sedan (28000km) from mechanically challenged...

Sometimes when shifting gears, with the clutch fully depressed, the shift lever almost seems "eager" to come out of gear. I can't seem to replicate problem on demand (ie rides with service tech). It doesn't happen all the time or always in the same manner but is most common when shifting in the first three gears, and most often with the RPMs above 3500.

A normal shift (to me) involves depressing the clutch, physically moving the lever out of gear (ie 1st), moving through neutral, and into gear (ie 2nd). This involves a very precise mechanical feeling of the transmission being moved from gear to gear.

The shift I am trying to describe involves depressing the clutch, at this point instead of me moving from 1st through neutral to 2nd the shifter almost seems to be moving itself out of gear while I am moving it out of gear into neutral.

I am not saying that the car pops out of gear but that it almost seems to "help" me shift it out of gear every once in a while.

In response to my concerns I was told the techs were unable to replicate any problem, the car shifts like any other civic on the road, and we have a note here in your service record for you in case something comes up at a later date.

Is this just something that happens with some shifts? This is my first manual in about 8 yrs and I am very curious.

Thanks
    Charles
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Hi,

I have a 99 Honda Civic CX hatchback with 79,000 miles. The car has been good to me for 5 years and now all of a sudden the "Check Emissions" light came on. Not the "Check Engine" but "Check Emissions"....it was at Napa Auto for 4 days while they were trying to diagnose the problem. First they thought it was a problem with the computer, then the wiring, finally they replaced the O2 sensor and gave me the car back. 4 days later the "Check Emissions" light is on again. The car also feels like it's going to stall at stop lights. I'm at my wits end with this car now! I just want to get it fixed!! I'm bringing it back to the shop again today so hopefully it will not take another 4 days to find out what the problem is and fix it. Is this car even worth it anymore? I was thinking of purchasing a new Civic coupe but after reading all the posts on this message board it seems like things are rough all over. Any suggestions or other experiences would be super helpful!

It could be as simple as a gas cap, or evaporative charcoal canister. Time to get another mechanic, I think. See if there is an independant Honda shop.
    I bought a 1985 Honda Civic Wagon two months ago. The car has low mileage 101,000. My temp gauge went all the way to top last weekend. I pulled over immediately, so the car did not overheat, but the engine was very hot. I let the car sit for a while before I started engine. It started out cool, but guage eventually climbed to the top after 30 minutes.I had the car checked, and had to replace the Radiator Cap, Thermostat , Electrical Motor Fan, and had the radiator flushed. The mechanic checked the sensor and water pump which was fine. I am now driving the car, but temp gauge stays in the middle and sometimes it goes over the half way mark, but comes back to the middle. Should I be concerned? The temp gauge started acting up when the weather started to get real hot.

IT is normal for the gauge to fluctuate a little. As long as it does not go higher than the 3/4 of the way up, you should be fine. At 101,000 miles you should be looking at timing belt replacement soon, 120K, I think.
    I bought a 98 honda civic hatchback dx automatic two weeks ago. I like it,but the only disappointment i have is the MPG i got only 24 mpg . which i thought i would get 30 mpg or more! any suggestions to improve my gas mileage?!

Easy on the gas, do a complete tune up if it has not been done recently. Don't fall for the "magic" plugs, regular NGK's or Bosch platinum (if you are planning on keeping the car for another 100,000 miles) will do.
    Question about Canadian 5MT 04 Civic SI Sedan (28000km) from mechanically challenged...

Sometimes when shifting gears, with the clutch fully depressed, the shift lever almost seems "eager" to come out of gear. I can't seem to replicate problem on demand (ie rides with service tech). It doesn't happen all the time or always in the same manner but is most common when shifting in the first three gears, and most often with the RPMs above 3500.

A normal shift (to me) involves depressing the clutch, physically moving the lever out of gear (ie 1st), moving through neutral, and into gear (ie 2nd). This involves a very precise mechanical feeling of the transmission being moved from gear to gear.

The shift I am trying to describe involves depressing the clutch, at this point instead of me moving from 1st through neutral to 2nd the shifter almost seems to be moving itself out of gear while I am moving it out of gear into neutral.

I am not saying that the car pops out of gear but that it almost seems to "help" me shift it out of gear every once in a while.

In response to my concerns I was told the techs were unable to replicate any problem, the car shifts like any other civic on the road, and we have a note here in your service record for you in case something comes up at a later date.

Is this just something that happens with some shifts? This is my first manual in about 8 yrs and I am very curious.

Thanks
    Charles

In Canada Si=EX in US. I wonder if your last manual car was a Honda. Honda manual's don;t require effort to shift, this is why they are the best manuals out there.
  • kramericakramerica Posts: 1
    I need to reset the engine light on my 96 Honda Civic Si. I replaced a faulty oxygen sensor and now I need to reset the light to turn it off. Does anyone know what the easiest way to do this is? I could take it back to my garage for a fee. They would clear the message light via computer. Is there a way to do this myself either by disconnecting the battery or by some other means? Any suggestions would be most appreciated...thanks...
  • hanz1hanz1 Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a JET Computer Upgrade Kit for my 97Civic LX. However, in order to send my chip to JET to be programmed I must remove my original chip first. So, does anyone know how to remove the chip. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zach
  • Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me diagnose this issue. '99 Civic EX, automatic transmission, 103K miles, all suggested maintenance current on vehicle including timing belt/water pump. Just yesterday, about 20 minutes in a drive, the car was in traffic with the interior fan on. An initial electrical burning smell started in the vent (initially dismissed as idling emissions from the car in front of me) and then became more intense / concentrated as if something were on fire under the hood. I immediately pulled over, turned off the car and looked under the hood. No signs of smoke, damage, etc. The only things I found were a) slightly lowered coolant levels, just below the min in the reservoir and what appears to be fresh oil directly below the engine mount coming from the lid / seal area of what appears to be a comparment a little larger than a tuna fish can. I brought the car to the dealer and am awaiting a prognosis. The car itself runs fine from what I can tell and there was no loss of oil after checking levels. There is still a slight odor coming from the fan vent in the car when I turn it on. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused the electrical burning smell and what the container is below the engine mount (it is not the brake fluid or power steering reservoirs - this is a part that is not identified in the owner's manual.) Please let me know if you have any experience and / or if the two problems could be related. Thanks very much.

Ed
  • I've got a 1998 Honda Civic LX, and the temp gauge has been jumping up and down (never hitting red) as I drive. It doesn't seem to matter if I am idling in traffic or speeding down the freeway, it will move from the mid mark up to just before red and may stay there for a while and come back down. There doesn't appear to be any pattern it totally varies, I swear depending on its mood. On the way to work I was doing 20km/hr and it was close to hot, but earlier idling at a light I was at the mid mark, but prior to that I was doing 80km/hr and it was mid mark also... :confuse:

Any ideas??
  • I had nearly the same problem with my '99 Civic EX and the problem was the A/C belt. My dealer initially sprayed silicon on the belts and the sound went away temporarily but the only thing that resolved it satisfactorily was to have the belts adjusted.
  • Try different tires, better grade gas and check the air filter. If all else fails, I would ahve it tuned up, too. Those would be my guesses. I had a similar issue with my '99 (original owner) and it was related to a combination of the forementioned. I now average over 30 miles-per-gallon, at one point topping out around 34-35.
  • yearnshawyearnshaw Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX with 45K (yes, I drive a LOT). I just took the car into the dealer (it's always gone to a dealer for service/oil changes) and was told that I had a broken front motor mount. Unfortunately, I just went out of warranty last month (before my cross-country trip and back).

The car is not making any funny noises or vibrations. How do I know if I'm being taken for a ride by the dealer? Any recommendations to get this fixed, if in fact there is a problem? Is this typically covered under warranty? Thx.
  • Ill lay it all out for you. !992 honda civic hatchback VX. Manual trans, 182716 miles. Car idles fine ,doesnt miss at all. Car drives fine when it is cold ,doesnt miss at all.Smooth as glass. When said car gets to "Normal Operating Temperature" is where my problems start. When you are accelerating car drives smooth as glass. When you are going up a hill again smooth as glass. But when you have to maintain a Constant speed , no matter what that speed is she begins to stutter, sputter, and jerk.It does not do it when I set in the yard and have the car in Neutral and I hold the rpms at 3000, 2000, 4000 doesnt matter smooth as glass.Only in gear and moving on a levelsurface and constant speed . This is what I have done to it Yesterday. New all of this. fuel filter, oil filter, plugs ,wires, synthetic oil, air filter, new o2 sensor. Will someone please help me before i go out of my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confuse:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    Taking it to a shop you trust for a look?

Pretty hard to diagnose over the internet.
  • oluapoluap Posts: 4
    I posted this yesterday in Hybrid Vehicles and got yelled at by an Edmunds staff member (who apparently had no problem with a thread on the Honda Civic GX, but I digress.) Anywho, here's what I posted:

I am looking for information from owners of the Honda Civic VX, a version of the '92-'95 Honda Civic Hatchback with numerous factory modifications to push fuel economy to an EPA 47/56 rating. I am very impressed by a car that rivals the Honda Civic Hybrid for economy and engine power, seats five in a pinch, and is available for $2k-$4k. Here are my questions:

-The fuel-saving technology in this car is very impressive. How good is real-world fuel economy?

-The Civic VX weighs 2100 lbs and has no ABS. If anyone has wrecked one, how did you fare?

-What are your general observations of the car? Having read some old reviews of the VX, I am curious about driver's experience with highway-speed acceleration, handling, and ride.

-Has anyone installed aftermarket cruise control? How well does it work? (This applies to '92-'95 Civics in general.)

I understand the VX is a popular car to modify in the import tuner crowd, but I am looking for information on the stock VX.
  • bluearmbluearm Posts: 6
    thanks for the info. My tires are almost worn out maybe thats the problem, the air filter looks like new , the scheduled maintenance was done on 29k miles now its 32k miles .
    any recommendations on choosing tires ? thanks. ;)
This discussion has been closed.