Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,970
    Please refrain from ANY form of personal attack on another forums member AND also please try not to respond to a provocation.

I'll leave the responses to the flame up because they set a good example of keeping a forum friendly and supportive of others, and they are even courteous to the flamer.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• on my gf's 99 honda lx the check engine light came on and the car was doing this weird pulsing thing when she would accelerate. any idea what it could be? it was the 2nd time she's driven the car in 4 months. any help would be appreciated.
  • 1995 CIVIC THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 3 YEARS, I GIVE IT A COMP. TUNE UP, IT RUNS GREAT BUT!!! ON COLD STARTS IT IS FLOODED BAD, AFTER A FEW IT CLEARS AND RUNS FINE
    HELP
  • I have a 94 Honda Civic EX, 179,000 Problem is an intermittent Speedometer. It works for a while and then both speedometer and odometer both quit. The cruise control functions normally. This would indicate the speed sensor is okay. Any ideas?
  • I just bought a 2006 Civic EX. I love ALL black cars...took forever for the dealer to find a black one. When it arrived it had pin strips on it. Yuck! :P I do not want it on there! How do I get them off? I want to do it ASAP, and do not want to take it to the dealer to do it. I have plenty of car enthusaist friends that can help me do it for free....just wondered if anyone has any tips. Thanks!
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i *think* people use a hair dryer to remove pin-striping (you could ask in the Paint and Finish forum).

you could have had the dealer remove them (unless you had to pay for them to get the car - then i can see why you wouldn't want them to do it).

that's a neat looking car.
  • fe203fe203 Posts: 21
    I was checking my oil basepan bolts & retightening them, one snapped off. I'm pretty sure the honda basepan is put on with silicone as the gasket, will this one broken bolt cause any problems? Any advice much appreciated.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,936
    Do you mean your oil pan?

Well, the proper way to fix this would be to remove the pan, get the broken bolt out, which may or may not be an easy job, put on a new gasket and bolt the pan back on.

Is is leaking? If not, you may get away with having one missing bolt. Keep an eye on your oil level and look for drips.

Next time, be careful. Those bolts are very small and require a gentle touch.
    Yes it is the engine oil base pan. Barely even touched the bolt & it snapped. There are no leaks at this time. There are several bolts along the pan, I'm hoping the rest of the bolts will keep the pan tight. Again, I read somewhere that Honda uses silicone & not a gasket from the factory, hoping the silicone will keep a nice tight seal.
    I'll ask when I get to work.

I'm wondering, what compelled you to tighten those bolts in the first place? Was the oil pan leaking?

If so, you need a new gasket. Tightening the bolts may help a little, but not for long.

If there was no leak, that oil pan is better off left alone.

If you were using a 3/8th ratchet with an extension, you were probably putting a lot more torque to that small bolt than you think.
  • ...then the shield for the cat converter went and I am being told that since the top of the shield is loose that the whole thing should be replaced for $800+

I had a problem with a rattling heat shield on my 1999 CR-V. The front mounting points of the top heat shield rusted through. I fixed mine with a $3 metal hose clamp around the front of the heat shield. You do have to tighten it down very tight.

Good luck.
  • A HondaCare Warranty is an extended warranty on your vehicle. You can buy various coverages that extend the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles or even longer. Cost varies from dealer to dealer and depending on the deductible for the warranty (some are zero deductible).

Curry Honda sells HondaCare warranties online at curryhondacare.com. You don't have to buy it from the dealer you bought the vehicle from (unless you live in Florida, which has laws governing the sale of this kind of warranty). I'd use the Curry Honda prices to compare what your dealer is asking if you're interested in the extended warranty.
  • dbc1dbc1 Posts: 3
    When I turn on the headlights on my 98 Civic CX, a delay occurs before they come on. The delay was lasting about 5-8 seconds but is getting longer. All other lights work fine, including the daytime running lights. I can also flash the hi-beams while waiting for the delay to be over. I fear one of these days the headlights will not come on. Any advice?
    Something is very wrong here and you should take the car in or your fears will probably come true.

Is this a Canadian car or has someone installed some kind of aftermarket daytime running lights?

If this is the case (aftermarket)something may be causing this to happen.
  • CurryHonda is selling the extended 8 year warranty for the Honda Civic 06 EX with MT and Navi with zero deductible for $1650. This price I consider high when I am hearing that there are dealers that sell it for close to a $1000.

Thank you Theracoon. But I must check out their website. The $1650 was a verbal quote.

Manny
  • my wipers, windows ans moon roof stopped working. i found a blown fuse for the wipers. replaced it but the wipers still don't work. the fuses for the windows and roof are ok. is there another place to check to get these things working? please help :(
  • I have a 2000 Honda Civic with about 119K miles. I have recently had problems (with my automatic transmission) shifting from Park to Reverse. In the morning (when the car is cold) I have a hard time putting it into reverse- it feels like it is stuck. The wierd thing is that I have no problems with any of the other gears. From Reverse to Drive is fine.....I only experience problems when i am going from Park to Reverse....or Reverse into Park.
    I changed the trans. fluid at about 1000K. I also had the mechanic lube up the gears....it is still difficult to put it into gear in the AM. Any thoughts??
  • :confuse: I am working a 1984 1.5 civic CRX DX. I'm kinda confused, I have a loss of power when i hit 5th gear and cannot accelerate past 78 mph. I know the engine is in good condition besides the fact that it is old, I changed the spark plugs and checked and fixed the vacuum lines. I know that there are several other things that can be wrong I just don't know what. It hasn't always run like this, it just recently started, what is it? I also have a idle problem that I can't seem to fix.
    The car is a Canadian car which has factory DRL. There is nothing aftermarket added to the car.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i'm not sure if there is a relay in the circuit, but that's probably what I would check. look in your owner's manual and find the location of the relays and fuses (probably in the engine compartment nearest the passenger wheel/fender area).

i would also check the fuses. i think there is one for low-beam, and another for high-beam. make sure relays and fuses are inserted well in their locations (to verify this - i myself would remove and re-insert them - i think there is a little tool in the compartment to help you do that).

look for signs of any moisture in the relay/fuse compartment there. if the fuses look good and you've removed and re-installed them (and also a relay if it exists), then as a test i might try swapping an identical numbered relay (if there is one for the headlights and another with the same number in the compartment).

again, i'd look in your owners manual for the location of this relay (if there is one) in the fuse / relay compartment.

hope it helps.
    Thanks, There are relays in the engine compartment for the headlights, horn, etc. I'll give that a try.
  • The curryhondacare.com website lists $1,050 for an 8 year/100k miles warranty, or $1,150 for 8 year/120k miles for a 2006 Civic. The website doesn't differentiate between the various Civic models, other than the Civic Hybrid.

FYI
  • Theracoon:

Thank you. I got my car from another Curry Honda dealer, not the one that post the deal on the web. They tried to sell me the Honda Care Extended Warranty for $1650. I did not take it from them. It all depends on who you run into.

Everyone tries to maximize profits, and woo to the ones that are ignorant.

I did get caught paying to Curry Honda the following:

Premium Lojack package installed with life time warranty for the ownership of the car. Lojack refund if the car is stolen anyway. Lojack to call me within one hour if the car is moved without my presence and knowledge.

And also he installed a Lojack passive alarm. All for $1300.

After I okayed the deal, I found out that Lojack could probably be done for a lot less, because the dealer invoice price for the Lojack Premium Package with Passive alarm is only about $700.

I called the dealer back. They told me that early in the morning they already installed the Lojack, and it is too late for me. So I got taken.

Lesson, you could make a smart bargain for the car, and later get taken by the finance guy with warranties and Lojack and other add ons. Also you must know who you are talking to. People are biased by virtue of their role, and which side of the business they are standing with.

The dealership is a minefield. Every step can be a big
    explosion. I learned my lesson too late.

P.S. Also I tried to get some information by calling Lojack Corp directly. I had asked for customer relations.

The lady on the telephone told me that Lojack has a non-negotiating price of $1295 for my package even if I get it from Lojack. That it was a very fair price that I am getting from the dealer.

It then set the stage for me to over paid for the package.

It was later that I found out that she was the retail sales representative, and was aiming to maximize profits.

After that I found out that there may be fleet managers that would sell Lojack Premium Packages for a lot less.

Thanks, Manny
    Manny,

You have brought up your Lojack issue in several forums.

At the time you bought it, you thought it was a good value, right?

Then, somehow, you found out the dealer cost was a lot less then you paid?

Even if your numbers are correct,(?), why worry yourself to death over this now?

It sounds like you are more concerned over what the dealer might have made than the value of the product to you!

Get over it...enjoy your new car!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I understand you being upset at yourself for paying too much for the Lojack. But you have no one to blame but yourself for not doing your homework first. Just a suggestion, chalk it up to experience and move on.
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 Civic Coupe with 50,000 miles. There is knocking or clunking noise in from front end when going over bumps or ripples in the road at low speed. My Honda dealer has replaced both front struts & sway bar bushings but the noise persists. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
    I've heard it is a common complaint on this model, in particular the sway bar.
  • mikefm58:

I just might have to do that. I e mailed the dealer, asking him to remove the Lojack citing the New York State Consumer Law on Contracts Protection, that there are 72 hours for me to change my mind.

The dealer did not even answer me. Although there were a million e mails of congratulations and e mails prodding me to get my papers ready to pick up the car before. Now all of a sudden, I do not even hear from him.

I wish I belong to the group of people who do not need to chalk it up to experience, and can do it right the first time.

Manny
  • I have a honda civic del sol, and i'm wondering what my top speed should be at or around. I have a few mod's a cold air intake, a voltage stabilizer, and a GReddy catback exhaust. answer as soon as possible
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Heck, Just push it man. That's what all the fun is about. Go for it. You only live once.

Hope you're still around to let us know how you made out.
This discussion has been closed.