Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX automatic. My problem is I'm short and if I move the seat far back enough to be comfortable hold the steering wheel, my leg can barely reach the pedals. I'm wondering if there is any solution that anyone can offer for this. I thought of attaching something on top of the gas pedal, like a thick piece of cork or something, but I don't know if that's safe. Something that's a couple of inches high, perhaps?!?!
    Thanks
    Cheryl
  • I meant my FOOT can barely reach the pedals, not my leg!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    No. 96 and newer are OBD II compliant and require a scan tool or code reader. AutoZone will retrieve trouble codes no charge.
  • Does anyone know what the VTEC spounds like when it kicks in???. I hear a massive change in engine tone at exactly 3500RPM. Is this the VTEC kicking in?? or have i got a problem. My car is a 1998 civic 1.8 vti VTEC.
    thanx.
  • First off, I would like to thank anyone who has answered questions on this board, I just came across it today and so far foud it very informative. So thanks...
    First off, I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si (Canadian) 5 Speed. Anyways a few years back I had a Clifford alarm installed with an autostart and ever since than my parking brake light comes on all the time, even though the brake is off. I think that it has something to do with the autostart being wired into the brake system for activation. (Stupid process you have to go through to get the autostart to work on a manual car). Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there any way I can just disconnect the parking brake light altogether? I know I can tell when the parking brake is on.. :)
    Thanks for any help in advance.
  • Again I have a 2000 Honda CIvic and am going to need to have a new clutch installed soon. I read a post a few pages back about OEM clutch replacements and shudder. I am not looking to put in a "high performance clutch" but I want it to be like it was when I first got the car. What would you recommend?
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,040
    Hi,

Edmunds just did a story about pedal extenders...here's the link for you:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/101512/article.html

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have a 2006 Civic EX, automatic tran. and have noticed the same problem. Seems to bang in and out when either up-shifting or down-shifting between 1st and second gear at low rpms. When you are not quite to a complete stop and then step on the gas to go again, it sometimes acts and feels like it had slipped into neutral and is banging back into 1st gear, kinda like your foot slipped off the clutch if you were driving a standard, except this is an automatic. I have not talked to the dealer about it yet. I thought maybe it would improve with break in, but it has not improved and I now have about 1600 miles on it.
  • I've done all the required maintenance on the car but for the life of me cant figure out how to get this light off. Any info?
  • eric29eric29 Posts: 49
    I looked at this list when I looked for a car. I wanted one that my daughter could practice driving with (it wouldn't be her car, but I wanted her to be able to drive it) She's 5'2" tall.

She sat in the Mazda, Golf, Jetta, Accord, and Civic and had the best view from the Civic. We couldn't find a Scion to try, and I didn't want to spend the money on a Mini.

Many of the cars sort of "sweep up" in the rear and block the visibility of a shorter driver when looking backward, as a driver would do when backing up. The Accord was close to the Civic, but had a little less visibility for her out of the back.We would have had to remove the center rear headrest and even then, it was just a little harder to see out of than the Civic. I liked the Passat and Jetta because of the traction control feature, but she couldn't see very well at all out of the back of those cars.
  • eric29eric29 Posts: 49
    My thought is that if you call a custom shop, they could install pedals that you could comfortably reach. I doubt it would be very expensive.
  • Just took home a 06 Honda Civic Ex with Navi. I have all the security systems possible purchased. But I am nervous about taking it out and parking it in the street. Years ago when I bought a new car, I experienced a 'breaking it in' by street vandals. Not much damage, just somebody took a sharp object and make a car length scratch through the car body.

When I told people about it, they said that it is often found done on new cars left on the street in New York City. This is years later. I still live and park in New York City Streets at times. Do I still face the same danger? Is this vandal culture still pervasive?

Manny
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    Fueled the car, four days later the warning message came on, telling me my fuel cap is loose. Not so. I make darn sure it was secure after reading from others that you should hear at least three clicks. I made sure I heard at least ten or more clicks. Now after five more days, and another fill up, I still get this warning. It won't go away. I am scheduled to bring it in on Monday, but would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem on the new 06 civic coupe ? Thanks
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " Do I still face the same danger? Is this vandal culture still pervasive? "

Manny why would you ask questions like that here? They are so off topic.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    You may want to park across the river, in New Jersey.
    I don't think vandalism is pervasive, just bad luck, but if you park on the city streets, damage to the bumpers is pretty much inevitable.

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,901
    Yes I would agree. One of the biggest "scams" are the new touch the bumper and score 500-1000 worth in body and paint repair. :(
  • dan46dan46 Posts: 2
    My sister's brand new 2006 Honda Civic is toasted. She left the lights on all day, this killing the battery. HOwever, even after a jump start, the car will only run for about 3 seconds before shutting down. On the hud, a green "key" indicator is flashing, which the manual informs is due to the immobilizer which only allows properly coded keys to work. We are using the properly coded keys, but the car wont stay running. I've checked the fuse for the fuel pump, and its fine. Is there some way to reset the immobilzer? Is this a common problem when the battery dies? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Try disconnecting the battery completely, charge it, then reconnect. See if that does it. Hope it works for you.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,744
    Good advise. That will probably fix the problem. If a battery is totally dead, a jump start isn't enough on today's cars.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,257
    Is it only running for 3 seconds while the jumpers are still connected? Sounds like a dealer problem since it's under warranty. They might charge for the battery recharge. I'd take the battery to Advance Auto or somewhere. They'll do a free check and recharge in this area. If battery defective, back to dealer problem.
    At best a round with a recharger/battery tender/ trickle charger/ etc might get you back on the road. (i.e., down to 75% of charge should be ok, under that and it starts to make sense to get a new battery). :( What might be neat is you are probably still under warranty.

However todays' "high tech systems" pretty much eat batteries. Jump starting can even be dicey, as there are many more sensitive systems that can either malfunction, function as design (in your case) or experience catastrophic failure. I think truly one benefit is once they deny it under warranty (because it was YOU or your representative,ie tow truck driver, that did this) they make money on the repair rather than just getting paid for some PITA customer good will/warranty work.

I have just recently had to R/R three batteries,(on two cars, of course OUT of warranty :) :( ) one that crapped out after 4.25 years, replaced and that one crapped out in 11 mo) and another after 31 mo and 68,000 miles. Call me gomer for being used to batteries lasting 10 years. :)

Some of this is not the battery's fault. Today's MASSIVE accessories draw on reserve capacity. A lot of modern cars draw current even on shut off. In 50 years, I have NEVER felt a need for a battery charger/trickle charger, but NOW, I have gone ahead and ordered one, so I can trickle charge all of my batteries. I truly do not know if this will do anything (like make a 4.25 year old battery last to 9 years) but when you read the test equipment or battery hydrometers: unfortunately they tell the story.

Naturally leaving a battery on, per your description can be its' death knell.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,257
    The battery that lasted 11 months... was that in a car where it got deep cycled or drained and recharged completely? I have always felt that shortens the life. The heavy accessories do exactly that especially when they can be used while the motor's not running, i.e., power windows, sound systems, courtesy lights and reading lights, wipers, air blowers.

My one car that had a short battery life was a showroom model for a couple or more weeks. Battery drained with people testing the windows and power seats then recharged overnight by connecting trickle charger when it shows signs of drain.
    It was in a 2001 Corvette Z06 ( stock accesories are out the yin yang). So I am glad in this case I didnt add any aftermarket (battery draw) stuff. It did not get deep cycled or drained or (manually) recharged completely. It is being driven once a week or so and the trips are usually over an hours duration.
  • dan46dan46 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the adivce/info. :)
  • Hey Mr. ShiftRight

Thanks for the link, but I don't see an article on pedal extenders. What comes up is 10 cars that are good for shorter drivers. I tried a search on Edmunds.com for "pedal extenders" but that didn't come up with anything either. Did I not read it carefully enough or is there another article?
    Thanks!
    Cheryl
  • I did on the first tank of gas. I tightened it, removed it and put it back on twice and it was still on. Called service and asked about it and was told it should go off after a few drives. I did fill up again and it did go off after 4-5 days. I believe the owners manual states it may stay on a week.
  • 2006 Civic Coupe. Anybody have rattles or creaks in the dash. I have rattle or creak that started at 1700 miles. It is a constant sound on rough roads. I am taking it in Friday. My 2000 Focus was rattle free at 80K.
    Okay how about this site?

http://www.pedalextenders.com/

• Most places that sells handicap equipment sells pedal extenders, some even install it for you. Check your phone book under Handicap equipment. If not, look online. :)
This discussion has been closed.