Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,488
    I have a 2004 Civic automatic 4 door bought new with 4 miles in Sept 04. So far at 3k the automatic is smooth as silk. Gas mileage is between 35-38. Will update data points in the future if interested.
  • I have a 03 Civic EX with an automatic. With 26,000+ miles it is running perfectly.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    they fix one problem then another comes up.
    Typical sign of an incompetent shop. Either they are causing the new damage due to inability to fix a problem without creating another one. Or, they are so incompetent that they can not see that there is another problem brewing. I would suggest that you save all the receipts from the warranty work, and give Honda corporate a call. Explain the situation and mention that you bought the car based on the reputation it made of being a reliable vehicle. Ask niceley for them to extend warranty on either the whole car or the components that failed. I don't know if you had repeated problems with the same component. If you did have 3 repairs on the same component, check out your state's lemon laws. You may be able to get Honda to buy this one back.

Most importantly, go to a different dealer. You don't have to service the car or perform warranty work on the car at the dealer you bought it from. You can go to any dealer in the US and I think even in Canada and Mexico.
  • hi all....well were should I start this story. Back when I bought the car, 2 years ago, I was getting a grinding noise when i would depress the clutch pedal. When I talked to the service department (Scott Honda of West Chester, PA) they said it was a normal noise. I didn't buy it but never really had any other problems. In January of 04, I noticed that the gears were engaging at different points a lot. I asked them about it and had them test it. They then said, "the clutch is fine, but I do find it weird that the clutch is engaging at different points". I took it for a second opinion and was told that the clutch was going. I decided that I would put an ACT clutch kit into this car (was cheaper than the Honda stock clutch). Well the dimwit that put in the clutch neglected to tell me that the disc going in was a 4 pucked disc. (I have some engine knowledge, but not much about clutches.) So about 2,000 miles later, I had someone else (Meyers Motorsports in Pottstown) put the correct springed disc in. The mechanic called me as soon as he took the front end apart, because the problem was never the clutch. Over the past year and a half, the slave cylinder rod had bent. He ordered the part from Honda and replaced it on June 22nd, 2004. Everything was good for awhile. Then I started to notice that the engagement was different at time AGAIN. I asked my personal mechanic to test drive it and see what he thought. He said that everything seemed fine. So 2 weeks later (this past Wednesday) I got into the car and depressed the clutch, as it went down there was a loud "thwack" and the pedal stuck to the floor. I tried to lift it back up and couldn't. The car was running and I didn't even need to touch the clutch to get it going. But it wouldn't come out of first gear. I had the car towed Thursday and it was looked at Today (Friday) by Scott Honda. They said that the slave cylinder rod BROKE and that the transmission was making such a horrible noise, that the mechanic turned it off and pushed it into the shop. Now they are trying to put the blame on the heavy duty pressure plate, but when I talked to ACT techs (and about 6 other mechanics), they said there was NO WAY possible that the pressure plate broke or even bent the slave cylinder rod. I have heard that there are some 01&02 civics that have been recalled for transmission problems. Can anyone give me any info on this??? I will be able to get more information on what exactly is wrong on Monday when they take the whole front end off and the tranny apart. Thanks for ANY help you can give

P.S. ACT also told me that if Honda wants to know any info to have them call the company directly and they will show them the results to the testing. Also, Honda dealerships on the west coast have told me that they install ACT clutch kits REGULARLY in civics and accords.
  • Just an Update.........Honda called me this morning and told me that the tranny is fine. The "horrible" noise the mechanic heard was the slave cylinder hitting the fan. They are replacing the slave cylinder AGAIN. When asked what we would do when this happens again in 5 months, he told me they were going to be putting the stock clutch in. They are blaming all of this on the stock clutch even though the problem has been there BEFORE I replaced the clutch. Any advice from anyone on how to handle this situation????
  • I have a 2002 Civic EX Auto with almost 36k miles. No problem here. Still on original transmission fluid. Shifts just find. Wish Civic had a low-end tourque like the VWs.
  • jws1jws1 Posts: 1
    My financee has been involved in two rear-end collisions in a Honda Civic - in both instances, the driver's seat back broke, thus catapulting her further back than expected. She sustained severe back injuries in both crashes.

Would be interested to hear from anyone with knowlegde of similar incidents involving Honda Civics.
  • bd21bd21 Posts: 437
    A few years ago I saw a 60 Minutes story on seat backs collapsing during rear end collisions. At that time they found out the only car seats made to stay intact in a 35 MPH rear crash were Volvo and Mercedes.
  • arymarym Posts: 4
    Toyo GO2+ or Kumho Kw19 for my 2003 Civic Coupe (automatic)? I live in Toronto.

Also... I was thinking of placing them on my stock steelies and then getting summer rims and tires in spring? Any thoughts? Will the winter wear be too much on the stocks?
  • kauai215kauai215 Posts: 190
    I remember that "60 Minutes" story.

I've often wondered whether after-market performance seats like Corbeau, Recaro, etc. are safer than the OEM seats in most cars?
    I remember that "60 Minutes" story.

I've often wondered whether after-market performance seats like Corbeau, Recaro, etc. are safer than the OEM seats in most cars?

The non adjustable racing seats will most likley be better in that aspect. There are only a few cars on the market that come with racing seats from the factory: Civic Si, Focus SVT, Ion Red Line, and that's about it. People commonly complain that they are too hard or restrictive for wide bottomed/back people. This would cut 90% of US population from using those. Maybe this is why they are most often found on sport compacts and not larger sporty cars.
  • kauai215kauai215 Posts: 190
    Do you know whether the problems with seats in rear collisions are the whole seat ripping out of its mounting on the floor, or is it the seatback latch mechanism failing, allowing the seat back to lay down?
    Do you know whether the problems with seats in rear collisions are the whole seat ripping out of its mounting on the floor, or is it the seatback latch mechanism failing, allowing the seat back to lay down?

The problem discussed here and on TV was the latch failing and allowing the seatback to recline flat. Which in itself, is probably not too bad as the impact is absorbed over a greater distance, although radial, than it would have been had the seatback remained fixed.

I am not aware of instances when the seats were ripped from the seat rails by the impact. And if they were, the impact must have been greater than any human would survived to tell about. Theoretically, everything has a failure point. So, yes you can rip the seat rails from the floor, you can break the seat from the seat rails, you can crunch the whole car into a 2x3 cube, and wring the juice out of it.
  • I took my 97 honda civic to the dealer because of the clicking sound when turning my wheel. They said both of my cv boots were turn and that all the oil have leaked out. They said it would cost $518.00 to replace. This is alot of money. I researched cv joint and read an article that said that i could get a rebuilt axle assembly with new boots and joints for about $100.00 each. This would be alot cheaper. But I don't know where to go from here. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2005 Civic EX Special Edition w/ an automatic transmission about a month ago and it currently has 1500 miles on it. When I slowly brake from a speed faster than 40 mph, the car seems to jolt as it comes to a stop. It jolts ONCE at the speed of around 20-25 mph. What's strange is that it only happens if I gradually and slowly stop. Meaning, I would keep my foot on the brake pedal and steadily increase the pressure slowly. However, if I need to suddenly stop, such is in stop-and-go city traffic, the jolt never occurs. Therefore, I don't know if it's a problem with my car, or if anyone else has had the same problem. Also, I don't know if it's my brakes or the automatic transmission as it downshifts. I've never had the feeling with my previous automatic cars. I'd appreciate anyone who could help, thanks.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    read an article that said that i could get a rebuilt axle assembly with new boots and joints for about $100.00 each.

When I had the same issue, my mechanic suggested replacing the axles at the same time since you have to remove them anyway to do the boot. Find yourself a competent mechanic who can do the job including providing the parts. Shop around and good luck.
  • After market companies such as Beck-Arnley and A1 Cardone make driveshafts for Hondas. Most auto parts stores stock their products. Most Honda dealers also stock remanufactured Honda driveshafts, though they are expensive. Since driveshaft replacement is beyond the capability of your typical DIYer, find a reputable independent mechanic to do the job. He will know where to get quality remufactured parts.
  • Hi, st0plieing. It sounds to me like your Civic is using its transmission to slow down while braking. My 2003 Civic LX (automatic) also does this. I forgot what fancy term they call it, but basically the transmission downshifts to assist with stopping. It feels like you're slowing down and all of the sudden your brakes catch on really strong and you hear your transmission whirr. None of my other cars had this feature and I personally find it really annoying, but there isn't anything that can be done about it other than just get used to it. Once you do, you'll hardly even notice it.
    It is simply downshifting like a manual would to assist braking.

It is probably somewhere in your manual if you got one with your car. It seems alot of people on these boards don't get the manuals with their cars?? (sarcasm, for those who don't know me)
    I took my 97 honda civic to the dealer because of the clicking sound when turning my wheel. They said both of my cv boots were turn and that all the oil have leaked out. They said it would cost $518.00 to replace. This is alot of money. I researched cv joint and read an article that said that i could get a rebuilt axle assembly with new boots and joints for about $100.00 each. This would be alot cheaper. But I don't know where to go from here. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can go with a rebuilt axles for about $160-$170 installed. Or buy them at your local Auto Zone/Pepe boys/Advance auto parts with core refund. Although it is not a simple job, it is doable by DIY'er.
This discussion has been closed.