Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I would appreciate any help or opinions, I was rear-ended in my 2001 civic 4 door, my car was driveable but suffered from very rough idle after the accident. Tail pipe is unobstructed but was wondering how seriously I need to take the rough idle, obviously I don't wish to harm the car but am searching for any ideas of what would cause the car to idle poorly. Any help would be most appreciated.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,348
    Your twelve year old Civic with 144,000 miles isn't the lemon. Your mechanic is doing something wrong. You may have a warped head he didn't bother checking?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Bad valve guides or piston rings is my guess.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I would appreciate any help or opinions, I was rear-ended in my 2001 civic 4 door, my car was driveable but suffered from very rough idle after the accident. Tail pipe is unobstructed but was wondering how seriously I need to take the rough idle, obviously I don't wish to harm the car but am searching for any ideas of what would cause the car to idle poorly. Any help would be most appreciated.

How is your neck? lol
    The other driver's insurance should be paying for all the resulting dmage from being rear ended. Talk to the other driver's insurance and tell them you are taking your car to Honda. See what they say.
  • I have a 98 civic LX which has 46500 miles on it, bought it used last year and the mileage has been surprising low for a japanese car, only approx. 25miles/gallon (city), drive about 15 miles per day. It takes longer to start when gas level is low and a friend suggests that the fuel line might be clogged. Anyone has any idea how much it will cost to fix and what other prob. there might be?
  • arymarym Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Civic Coupe LX with 34, 800 km... and I'm planning to go on a 2,000 km road trip a couple of weeks from now. So far, I have done at least 5 oil changes, the most recent one done today. This is the only maintenance I have had done, aside from switching to snow tires at 23,000, and back to the stock tires at 34,500.

I skipped the "TYPE B" service that the Honda dealerships recommend at 16,000 km. I was supposed to do the "TYPE C" service that they recommend at 32,200 km, but all I had done was an oil change.

Should I go for the suggested TYPE C maintenance, or will I be getting ripped off? If I go somewhere else to do the maintenance, what should I have done?
  • I just got a 93 del sol it still has stock speakers all of which need to be replaced i have all ready replaced the tape player and the front two speakers. This may sound kinda dumb but how do you get the cover off the back two speakers? For some reason they won't just pop off like the front ones.

Any help is much appreciated
    thanks
    Brandon
    I just got a 93 del sol it still has stock speakers all of which need to be replaced i have all ready replaced the tape player and the front two speakers. This may sound kinda dumb but how do you get the cover off the back two speakers? For some reason they won't just pop off like the front ones.

Any help is much appreciated
    thanks
    Brandon

You probably have to remove the whole rear shelf, or get to the speakers from the trunk.
    I have a 2003 Civic Coupe LX with 34, 800 km... and I'm planning to go on a 2,000 km road trip a couple of weeks from now. So far, I have done at least 5 oil changes, the most recent one done today. This is the only maintenance I have had done, aside from switching to snow tires at 23,000, and back to the stock tires at 34,500.

I skipped the "TYPE B" service that the Honda dealerships recommend at 16,000 km. I was supposed to do the "TYPE C" service that they recommend at 32,200 km, but all I had done was an oil change.

Should I go for the suggested TYPE C maintenance, or will I be getting ripped off? If I go somewhere else to do the maintenance, what should I have done?

Each dealership has its own money making schemes. What does each "TYPE" include?
    Go by what the manual says. If you don't have the owners manual sign up at Honda owners link
    https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda
    You can look up the Honda receommneded maintenance items.
  • tanya2tanya2 Posts: 29
    The rings could be stuck on the pistons. There are products on the market that could free the rings, if poured through the spark plug hole, and allowed to soak for a period of time. PCV valves are not that expensive. Give it a try! Tanya
  • tanya2tanya2 Posts: 29
    "Each dealership has its own money making schemes". While I am sure that you feel that way, this statement is far from the truth. My family is involved in the automotive service and sales business, and we go out of our way to make customers happy, especially in the area of preventive maintenance. Depending on the individual driving habits of the customer, many vehicles need a VERY severe maintenance schedule, because of the way they are used on a daily basis. Yes, the owner's manual does give the owner a general idea of basic maintenance, but when a vehicle is used in city stop and go traffic on a daily basis, you can throw those suggestions in the owner's manual out the window. As the owner of the vehicle, you can design your own service schedule. Our dealerships do not twist any customer's arm to perform service. We simply make suggestions, give the reasons, and leave the final decision to the customer. But if the vehicle suffers from a major malfunction, due to a lack of maintenance, the customer must assume responsibility. Tanya
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    "Each dealership has its own money making schemes". While I am sure that you feel that way, this statement is far from the truth...Our dealerships do not twist any customer's arm to perform service. We simply make suggestions, give the reasons, and leave the final decision to the customer.

When I call my local dealer to schedule a mileage based service, I'm always told that's a "Service X" package and quoted a price. Every time I've asked for details about what will be done it turns out that the list of service performed exceeds the Honda recommended services listed in my owner's manual. And I am talking about the Honda "severe" schedule, not the "normal" schedule. That's deceptive practice on the part of the dealer, since they're recommending services that are neither required or recommended by the manufacturer.

Yes, the owner's manual does give the owner a general idea of basic maintenance, but when a vehicle is used in city stop and go traffic on a daily basis, you can throw those suggestions in the owner's manual out the window.

So you as a dealer know more about servicing Hondas than Honda does? Even though Honda has two service schedules listed in the Owners Manual, severe and normal? You think they should add a "very severe" category of services?

But if the vehicle suffers from a major malfunction, due to a lack of maintenance, the customer must assume responsibility.

But we weren't talking about lack of maintenance, but the dealer deciding that service items needed to me done that are not what Honda, the manufacturer of the vehicle, recommends for that particular interval. If I follow the schedules in the Owners Manual based on the way I drive my vehicle it will be covered by the Honda warranty, regardless of whether I allow the dealer to do extra services or not.

I've learned to take a list of things I want done to the dealer when I take my vehicle for servicing, and insist that they only perform those services. I give them a copy of the list, and make it clear that I have a duplicate copy for my records, and that I will not pay for anything that is not on the list.

They have yet to complain, although it does take longer to drop off my car, since they have to enter the information in their computer, rather than just select one of their service "packages".

JM2C
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,480
    I think in some ways you are describing ALA CARTE vs package deal. I would only make sure that you were not paying more for the ALA CARTE service vs the so called "dealer" package, or vice versa. The ultimate boundary is the shop rate for labor!

I got my Honda Civic from one of the area's highest volume sales dealer. If I had to take it to a dealer for maintenance, I would take it out of preference to this one.

In closing the deal, one inevitably gets to the person who fills out the financial paper work. You pay "doc fees" for this so called "service", so negotiate this fee as low as possible for you wind up sitting the majority of this time listening to a sales full court press.

In addition or should I say the real task of this person is to UP SELL. One of the up sell products, germane to this discussion was the 5,000 mile oil and filter change. So I asked what oil and filter they use and the sales person could not tell me!!!??? (long time employee, I come to find out)
  • My experience has been similar. The dealer that I bought from was doing the same thing, servicing items that were not part of the regular or severe schedule. In the beginning when the 2001 model year first came out, they were still using a previous model years schedule in the fall of 2001. I stayed confused for awhile, nothing matched with my owners manual, I would take the car in for a specific interval of service, when I got it back service had been completed for some interval other than that specified and the interval that I was there to have done had not been performed.
    This finally came to a head and I would ask ahead of time what was specified for the particular interval that I knew I needed based on mileage. This seldom matched my cars needs and always included services that were not listed at all in my manual.
    Fortunately my town is big enough to have two dealers. I called the second one on the next service interval, asked what would be performed and they replied they perform what is listed in the owner's manual. What a pleasant surprise and I was not disappointed up to the 60,000 mile interval when I began servicing the car myself.
    For those who cast dispersion on the owner's manual, I have the Honda shop service manual (the Helms manual) and it list the service requirements. They match the owner's manual.
    I am approaching 180,000 happy miles in my 2001 Civic Coupe EX and I'm sure that it will go far beyond my original goal of 250,000 miles with the suggested owner's manual service intervals.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,480
    I would agree. Much of the service intervals consist of inspection items. With proper tools and some familiarity DIYers can do tire rotation and oil and filter changes. Other than trouble shooting and warranty work, the services that makes the most sense is the 120k timing belt and water pump change.
  • My new del sol has rims, they are stock rims but they seem to have a film on them. I have spent hours with never-dull and another product called "mothers" but they still have that film on them. Does any one have any ideas?

any help is much appreciated
    thank you
    brandon
  • phatmattphatmatt Posts: 2
    My girlfriend has a 1998 civic 4-door, and we noticed asizable crack in her exhaust manifold. Can I replace it without replacing the cadallidic converter? What do I need to watch out for?
  • For the last couple of months, the shift quality(smoothness) in my 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe has diminished. I have 40,000 miles on it. Sometimes, the transmission seems tired and confused after driving around town for a while. I don't understand why my transmission is doing such a lousy job right now. Soon I have to go get some regular maintenance done. Should I get them to run the codes to find the problem or where could I go to get the codes for free? Thanks and I hope u guys have some suggestions
    My girlfriend has a 1998 civic 4-door, and we noticed asizable crack in her exhaust manifold. Can I replace it without replacing the cadallidic converter? What do I need to watch out for?

This may fall under emissions control, which should be covered by Honda up to 8 years. Check with the dealer, or Honda corporate and the owner's manual. And, no you don't need to replace Catalytic converter, if it is fully functional.
    My new del sol has rims, they are stock rims but they seem to have a film on them. I have spent hours with never-dull and another product called "mothers" but they still have that film on them. Does any one have any ideas?

any help is much appreciated
    thank you
    brandon

If they are stock Honda rims they are most likeley painted with clear coat to prevent aluminum from oxidizing and turnning yacky shades of gray. I wouldn't try to remove it.
This discussion has been closed.