Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• patripatri Posts: 2
    were is the filter located at?? looking for it on my car.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    go here:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

select Honda Parts
    choose Civic
    select Model Year, Trim Level, Transmission Type and Component: Fuel Pipe(1)

you'll find a nice diagram of the system. perhaps you can identify it by shape and relative position to the lines running up to the engine.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    Well, jipster

I would guess I've probably torn apart and overhauled a couple more engines than you may have?

Being an "engineer" can mean many things. My next door neighbor is a Boeing Engineer who has a degree in Rocket Science. He knows little about the workings of a car.

And, sorry...as usual, we disagree. Remember, the car in question has over 130,000 miles. 1500 miles between quarts isn't a big deal.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    How often do you change your oil and filter? Is it possible that you have piston rings that are stuck in the pistons, and not following the cylinder wall? There are automotive chemicals that you could pour into the each cylinder and let it sit to loosen the rings. If your oil turns dark very quickly after it has been changed, you could possible have blow-by within the cylinders due to stuck piston rings. Blow-by would cook the oil and force it into the PCV system. Some old shade tree mechanics have some solutions for problems like this! See if you can find one of these old guys! Best regards! -----------Dwayne
    I would put in a bottle of Rislone Concentrate. I wouldn't have believed it but this stuff really does work.

Put the Rislone in and go drive the car HARD for awhile.

You can also spray some combustion chamber cleaner into the intake system to looosen any carbon that could be gumming things up.

Even so, adding a quart of oil every 1500 miles isn't the end of the world nor is it expensive.
    It is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about.

And, yes, Honda dealers do perform a treatment that helps remove carbon from the combustion chambers.

Just because your opinion differs from reality, you really don't need to call people names.

Your last sentence makes sense. Any good mechanic will tell you to simply check your oil often and just drive the car. This is not a crisis.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS INSANE MAN!!(HANDLE ISELLHONDAS)"

Sorry mark19, but I've seen nothing in isells posts that would indicate he is insane...or has lost touch with reality. Though usually opposite of mine, he is certainly free to express his own opinion. And the original poster is free to accept it or not.

I believe the original poster has options to which you both have suggested. #1 Take it to a trusted mechanic and have it checked out #2 Try the automotive additives like rislone to see if they help or #3 just add a quart of oil every month. It is still my opinion that losing this much oil is not normal. But, I certainly would not be spending a lot of money on a vehilce 9 years old...unless the original poster plans on keeping it 9 more.
    That was my point.

ALL cars use SOME oil...they HAVE to.

For me (and most people)having to simply add a 1.00 quart of oil every 1500 miles is completely acceptable.

Of course, the origianl poster could spend thousands of dollars tearing the engine apart. Valve job, new guides, rings, maybe overhaul the lower end while they are "in there".

And for what? Maybe oil consumption would improve to a quart every 4000 miles. Maybe.

If the car is otherwise running fine, leave it alone!

I would, of course, check my oil frequently in case it worsens.
    i suggest you pull the PCV valve and shake it with your hand. if you don't hear the ball-bearing inside move, it's stuck. if it's stuck, it can contribute to oil consumption. they are cheap cheap to replace ($5/6 at AutoZone). some people clean them (not sure what product). but why bother at that price?
    Yep, that's another possibility.

After that many miles, it's not uncommon for a Honda to need an oil pan gasket. One drip once in a great while can add up. Unless it's dripping on my garage floor and making a mess, I wouldn't bother with that either.
  • Please refrain from ANY form of personal attack on another forums member AND also please try not to respond to a provocation.

I'll leave the responses to the flame up because they set a good example of keeping a forum friendly and supportive of others, and they are even courteous to the flamer.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
  • on my gf's 99 honda lx the check engine light came on and the car was doing this weird pulsing thing when she would accelerate. any idea what it could be? it was the 2nd time she's driven the car in 4 months. any help would be appreciated.
  • 1995 CIVIC THAT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 3 YEARS, I GIVE IT A COMP. TUNE UP, IT RUNS GREAT BUT!!! ON COLD STARTS IT IS FLOODED BAD, AFTER A FEW IT CLEARS AND RUNS FINE
    HELP
  • I have a 94 Honda Civic EX, 179,000 Problem is an intermittent Speedometer. It works for a while and then both speedometer and odometer both quit. The cruise control functions normally. This would indicate the speed sensor is okay. Any ideas?
  • I just bought a 2006 Civic EX. I love ALL black cars...took forever for the dealer to find a black one. When it arrived it had pin strips on it. Yuck! :P I do not want it on there! How do I get them off? I want to do it ASAP, and do not want to take it to the dealer to do it. I have plenty of car enthusaist friends that can help me do it for free....just wondered if anyone has any tips. Thanks!
    i *think* people use a hair dryer to remove pin-striping (you could ask in the Paint and Finish forum).

you could have had the dealer remove them (unless you had to pay for them to get the car - then i can see why you wouldn't want them to do it).

that's a neat looking car.
  • fe203fe203 Posts: 21
    I was checking my oil basepan bolts & retightening them, one snapped off. I'm pretty sure the honda basepan is put on with silicone as the gasket, will this one broken bolt cause any problems? Any advice much appreciated.
    Do you mean your oil pan?

Well, the proper way to fix this would be to remove the pan, get the broken bolt out, which may or may not be an easy job, put on a new gasket and bolt the pan back on.

Is is leaking? If not, you may get away with having one missing bolt. Keep an eye on your oil level and look for drips.

Next time, be careful. Those bolts are very small and require a gentle touch.
  • fe203fe203 Posts: 21
    Yes it is the engine oil base pan. Barely even touched the bolt & it snapped. There are no leaks at this time. There are several bolts along the pan, I'm hoping the rest of the bolts will keep the pan tight. Again, I read somewhere that Honda uses silicone & not a gasket from the factory, hoping the silicone will keep a nice tight seal.
This discussion has been closed.