Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• fe203fe203 Posts: 21
    Thanks Mike,

I'm bringing the car back to the dealer to have it checked. They replaced both front struts in Feb '05, they should last more than 10 months. No other responses before yours.

Jeff

St. John's, NL
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    A noise when turning the wheels usually indicated a bad CV joint. It usually occurs at much higher mileage unless the rubber boots are torn or leaking which causes dirt to get in there and wear them out faster. I would have dealer check those, too.
  • fe203fe203 Posts: 21
    Hi ,
    I have 96 Civic, the Check engine light came on just driving down the road. There is no noticeable difference in the operation of the car. Is there a way I can check the code without going to a shop. Someone told me a long time ago that there is a connector or something that you jump out & watch how many times the ck eng light flashes to obtain the code. Can this be done?
  • It's possible these are all operated by the same relay. You'll need a wiring diagram for your car and see how these three functions are related. You'll also need to locate where the relays are located--they are probably part of the fuse box.

It's hard to test relays but sometimes circuits use identical relays (same part # on the relay) and you can swap them out for testing purposes--or if you know what you're doing you can bypass the relay with a jumper wire in order to test it.
  • 2006 Civic EX Coupe is not XM equipped, it is only XM Ready, meaning it is prewired for XM, but unless you get the Navi option, it is not standard. The 2006 EX coupe has the 350 watt w/ the Subwoofer, the same that is available on the SI, but its only XM Ready, so you have to go aftermarket to get it to work. Much cheaper than factory parts
  • Check for a bad CV Joint, and if the trunk is leaking, that is prob a good sign that car has been hit somewhere along the way. Might want to pull a Car Fax
  • p9142p9142 Posts: 2
    I recently had honda install a new clutch package and resurface the flywheel on my 95 EX. Sometimes I get a little clutch shudder. I had it installed in Illinois, but am currently living in Louisiana, so I would have to take it to a dealer here to have them look at it (12 mos/ 12000 mile warranty.) I am just wondering if this is something that I should worry about or not. It only shudders from first, or downshifting to second or third, and it doesn't do it all the time. I figure that the reason you pay $700 to get a OEM installed clutch instead of paying $350 to have local mechanic install is to get a perfectly functioing clutch. Am I just expecting too much?
  • I just bought a 2006 Civic LX (my first Honda) and absolutely love the car. The only problem that I have experienced is the transmission does some weird stuff. The most notable is that, upon coming to a stop, the auto transmission kinda clunks into first. It doesn't make a bad sound or anything, but feels like the car would lurch a little if I didn't keep my foot on the brake. The transmission also seems to have some "play" or lag in it on the highway if you take your foot off the accelerator then reapply it in short succession. It just feels odd - like the tranny is sort of catching up with your intentions. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a sign of a problem or just some design flaws? Thanks.
  • its a 95 sohc vtec civic,have tryed sol:valves,bodies cleaned out its trottle bodie and the injectors got once over, aint gona give up.so if there is any problem solvers get back to me asap...honda is the only way forward.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i can't remember (or find - sorry) where i was reading about shudder in a non-Edmunds civic forum (did you try to google it?) but someone implied with an older model civic, the manual trans clutch surface of the OEM part was too hard, and that a replacement with a non-OEM part solved the problem. (?)

maybe you should ask your question in "Got a Quick Technical Question?" or "Transmission Tramas" forums.
  • Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX automatic. My problem is I'm short and if I move the seat far back enough to be comfortable hold the steering wheel, my leg can barely reach the pedals. I'm wondering if there is any solution that anyone can offer for this. I thought of attaching something on top of the gas pedal, like a thick piece of cork or something, but I don't know if that's safe. Something that's a couple of inches high, perhaps?!?!
    Thanks
    Cheryl
  • I meant my FOOT can barely reach the pedals, not my leg!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    No. 96 and newer are OBD II compliant and require a scan tool or code reader. AutoZone will retrieve trouble codes no charge.
  • Does anyone know what the VTEC spounds like when it kicks in???. I hear a massive change in engine tone at exactly 3500RPM. Is this the VTEC kicking in?? or have i got a problem. My car is a 1998 civic 1.8 vti VTEC.
    thanx.
  • First off, I would like to thank anyone who has answered questions on this board, I just came across it today and so far foud it very informative. So thanks...
    First off, I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si (Canadian) 5 Speed. Anyways a few years back I had a Clifford alarm installed with an autostart and ever since than my parking brake light comes on all the time, even though the brake is off. I think that it has something to do with the autostart being wired into the brake system for activation. (Stupid process you have to go through to get the autostart to work on a manual car). Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there any way I can just disconnect the parking brake light altogether? I know I can tell when the parking brake is on.. :)
    Thanks for any help in advance.
  • Again I have a 2000 Honda CIvic and am going to need to have a new clutch installed soon. I read a post a few pages back about OEM clutch replacements and shudder. I am not looking to put in a "high performance clutch" but I want it to be like it was when I first got the car. What would you recommend?
    Thanks
  • Hi,

Edmunds just did a story about pedal extenders...here's the link for you:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/101512/article.html

MrShiftright
    Host
  • I have a 2006 Civic EX, automatic tran. and have noticed the same problem. Seems to bang in and out when either up-shifting or down-shifting between 1st and second gear at low rpms. When you are not quite to a complete stop and then step on the gas to go again, it sometimes acts and feels like it had slipped into neutral and is banging back into 1st gear, kinda like your foot slipped off the clutch if you were driving a standard, except this is an automatic. I have not talked to the dealer about it yet. I thought maybe it would improve with break in, but it has not improved and I now have about 1600 miles on it.
  • I've done all the required maintenance on the car but for the life of me cant figure out how to get this light off. Any info?
  • eric29eric29 Posts: 49
    I looked at this list when I looked for a car. I wanted one that my daughter could practice driving with (it wouldn't be her car, but I wanted her to be able to drive it) She's 5'2" tall.

She sat in the Mazda, Golf, Jetta, Accord, and Civic and had the best view from the Civic. We couldn't find a Scion to try, and I didn't want to spend the money on a Mini.

Many of the cars sort of "sweep up" in the rear and block the visibility of a shorter driver when looking backward, as a driver would do when backing up. The Accord was close to the Civic, but had a little less visibility for her out of the back.We would have had to remove the center rear headrest and even then, it was just a little harder to see out of than the Civic. I liked the Passat and Jetta because of the traction control feature, but she couldn't see very well at all out of the back of those cars.
This discussion has been closed.