Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• brorjacebrorjace Posts: 588
    grbeck, That's odd. Your car shouldn't have a serious problem. I bet it's merely the float sticking in your tank.

Have you ever used a fuel system cleaner? It might dissolve anything that's causing your float to stick or hang up.

I believe everyone should use a couple bottles of fuel cleaner every year to prevent problems throughout the fuel system, not just the injectors. I recommend Redline SI-1 and Chevron Techron.

--- Bror Jace
  • jjsnowyjjsnowy Posts: 9
    Tony read your message about the noises your Civic is making. The spring-like sound is your strut and has to be replaced. Honda kept telling me nothing was wrong. On my third trip back, I was humored by the service dept. , but had the strut changed. I had the last laugh on this issue because the noise stopped. Since then, the service dept admitted that I wasn't they had to change struts on other Civic '01's. Now I waiting for the redesigned gas fuage to come out. I have that problem too. Instead of repairing it, I agreed to wait for the new gas guage. They claim there is a computer glitch in the gas guage they are now using. I'll have to wait and see on that one.
  • I thank all but one of you for you kind responses. I have a lot of experience with various professional newsgroups/email exploders and you always get one or two who have more anger than thought. In fact, I heard on CNN that new laws are being considered to deal with abusive behavior over the internet. The purpose of the post was not to vent, but to spare other people this experience, find someone who identified a key individual in Honda who can truly help or who has insight into how it can be resolved. Believe me, I would expect this from Chevy, not from a name like Honda. I did in fact get some helpful responses from one of the other lists. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm is a good link to find service issues NHTSA. Check it out. It is very interesting.
  • teddwoodteddwood Posts: 16
    I began to hear a faint noise coming from the front left. It sounds like something is rubbing and usually only occurs when I am turning right, or when passing over a dip in the road. Any ideas?
  • gibnutgibnut Posts: 4
    I have the same situation. My car is about three weeks old with about 1000 miles. I took it to the dealer on Friday. They said they can not find anything wrong. Then they told me that it stopped making the noise. Anyhow by the time I got back home I could hear the noise again. I am taking back to the dealer again on Monday. I think it is the strut. I had read on other forums(cant remember which ones) that similar occurrences have been reported, and a few people were successful at having the dealer replace the strut, which solved the problem. I will most likely push for this type of resolution.
  • I'm sorry, I must have forgotten to take my medication.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe Automatic. I was in an accident (other guys insurance is paying - his fault), and my car has about $4800 worth of front end damage, including frame damage. Now, I KNOW that I am going to lose money on this when it comes time to trade, because they ask if you had an accident, and that effect the trade amount. Allstate is saying that I need to file a "Dimished Value" claim. No one that I know of knows what that is....including dealers.

Any advice??

Thanks
  • lacombe1lacombe1 Posts: 1
    Last June (2000) we purchased a brand new Honda Civic SE from our local dealer. During the test drive I noticed a slight knocking noise from the engine when the car was under load, i.e. during acceleration while in gear. It was barely noticeable, but to me it sounded out of the ordinary when compared to the normal engine noise that I was used to. I mentioned the noise to the sales representative,and he assured me that I must have been shifting incorrectly.

As time went by the noise that I had first noticed during our test drive was becoming louder and more apparent. At about 3,000 km I decided to take the car into the dealer to have them look at it. I don’I have the exact date but it was early September. The Service Manager, assured me that it was likely something minor and indicated that the engine mounts might be a bit loose. He then suggested that the problem could be looked at when we had the car in for the 6000 km warranty service.

From early September to late November the knocking noise became more pronounced to the point where the car sounded like a diesel when the accelerator was pressed. We took the car to the dealer in November of 2000 for the 6000 km warranty service. I told the service desk representative about the noise, describing it as a knocking sound that was especially noticeable when the gas pedal was depressed and the engine was under load. The noise became louder and faster as you continued to depress the accelerator. The noise was especially noticeable while driving in 1st and 2nd gear, but also could be noticed in 3rd, 4th, and at highway speed in 5th if the road was smooth and there wasn’t too much road noise. You could also notice the noise when the car was stopped if you quickly revved the engine. The noise is only noticeable when the car is warmed up, i.e. normal operating temperature and is not heard when the car is cold just after starting. I then had one of the mechanics come on a test drive with me. He heard the noise and commented that it was not normal and appeared to be somewhat concerned.

The initial diagnosis was that perhaps the main bearings were a bit loose, although the measurements that were done seemed to indicate that they were within spec. However, I was told that to get a true measurement the engine would have to be removed and then the tolerances measured. The main engine bearings were then replaced and I picked up the car. During the ride back to our home the knocking noise was still there. We took the vehicle back to the dealer and they then proceeded to replace the small engine block. While the car was in the shop we were given two loaners, which were 2 door 2000 Honda Civic's with the same engine and over 12,000 km. During the time that we had the loaners I tried to see if they made the same noise. The same noise was not noticed over range of rpm’s, gears, and driving speeds.

The second service that was done on the car seemed to make quite a difference. Overall the engine ran a lot quieter and the noise was not noticeable. However, over the course of the next couple of months the original noise started to occur again, starting quietly at first, but then following the same pattern that we noticed prior to the 6,000 km service.

In early March 2001 I took the car into a local independent import mechanic that we had gone to with a Toyota Celica that we had owned from new for 12 years. The mechanic came out on a test drive with me and heard the knocking noise. He then brought the car into his shop and listened for the noise using a stethoscope, he also had the car on a hoist and checked to make sure that there were no loose parts. He then took the car out for a test drive by himself. His diagnosis was as follows: "Road tested – appears to be slight knock from engine block area on acceleration. 1st and 2nd gear on acceleration mostly. Checked engine compartment and underneath. Nothing loose or out of ordinary. Fluids ok. Suggest contacting dealer." The mechanic indicated that the noise was not normal and appeared to be coming from lower down towards the front of the engine.

Recently, we have also started to notice another problem. If you rev the engine up to approximately 3,000-3,500 rpm and let your foot off the gas the engine will start to slow down. as it approaches the normal idle speed there is a noticeable shudder from the engine that you can feel via the steering wheel and also hear.

We are in the process of waiting to meet with a factory representative and the local dealer. Any suggestions as to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Lacombe, Alberta CANADA

biscoito@telusplanet.net
  • phantomcaphantomca Posts: 20
    Devore,

I just purchase the 2001 Honda Civic service manual. I wish I had a scanner so I can scan the pages to you. Or perhaps you can send me an email with your address and I mailed to you.
    jschangca99@yahoo.com
  • goodstergoodster Posts: 4
    My 1994 Honda Civic has about 92,000 miles on it and for the past couple of months their has been a "rapping" sound coming from the engine when I start the car. After about 3-5 minutes the sound goes away. The car runs fine and I have changed the oil every 3500 miles and done all other service work. Anyone ever hear of this problem?
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    What brand oil filter are you using?
    It is relevant to the anti-drainback valve design.
  • goodstergoodster Posts: 4
    My 1994 Honda Civic has about 92,000 miles on it and for the past couple of months their has been a "rapping" sound coming from the engine when I start the car. After about 3-5 minutes the sound goes away. The car runs fine and I have changed the oil every 3500 miles and done all other service work. Anyone ever hear of this problem?
  • Hi Everyone,

I own a 1991 Honda Civic HB STD with 150k miles on it. I'm trying to order a cat. converter from JC Whitney but they need to know some spec's which even the Stevens Creek Honda parts dept. personnel (San Jose, CA) doesn't know. So if you know the following, I'd really appreciate some feedback!

* Is it a single in/out or dual in/out? With single or dual air tube?

* Inlet/outlet dimensions - 2, 2.25, 2.5 or 3 inches?

* Here's the details on JC Whitney's page:

http://server2.edmunds.com/edweb/JCWhitney/Parts/55ZC4974.html

JC Whitney quoted me price range $104-134 and described as "high capacity super flow cat. converter" Not bad for price compared to original Honda part for $769.14 list! If anyone has any comments on this part or price, please comment.

Thanks!

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Have the car put up on a hoist and look under it.
    Goodster, I have a '95 Civic Coupe DX and have the same sort noise when I start my car ... and the colder it is the louder it gets. Once warmed up, the sound goes away.

I'm convinced it is a slight exhaust leak ... probably at the head gasket. Once the engine warms up and expands, the leak is sealed and the noise goes away. I'm gonna let mine be unless it gets much worse.

I've heard that our cars are prone to head gasket problems and that there is a special head bolt kit that is part of a proper fix. Just replacing the gasket does not last long before the problem returns.

--- Bror Jace
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Pretty unusual for a head gasket to leak compression gases to where you'd hear an exhaust noise. It'd burn through the gasket pretty quickly and cause a major driveability problem. Should also be losing coolant and/or oil. Are you sure there isn't a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold, or a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket which seals it to the head?
    alcan, I've heard this theory of mine (it really isn't mine, originally) from a number of sources and it seemed to make sense ... especially when these motors are prone to head gasket problems.

The car burns no measurable amount of oil between changes nor does it lose any coolant.

What you say makes sense, though. My second guess would be a hairline gap where the exhaust manifold meets the head. The same concept still applies, though. Once the parts heat up and expand, the gap is sealed and the noise disappears.

--- Bror Jace
  • philco1philco1 Posts: 1
    Even a car manufacturer with impeccable credentials such as Honda can still build a lemon!! Honda should simply save face with you and replace the vehicle on a pro-rata basis. Keep up posted on the results......
  • pklaspklas Posts: 20
    I have had similar problems with my car (2000 Honda Civic SI - EX in the U.S.). I purchased the car in late August. At around 2000 km, the heater worked intermittently. After tearing down the engine, an unused bolt was found in the intake manifold. The head gasket was replaced at 6000 KM. Honda Canada deemed the car to be fit. In any event, after threatening legal action, Honda gave me an "extended warranty". Big deal!!

In any event, at around 10 km my car started developing a weird rapping/marble in a can noise. Brought it in and dealer responded by telling me it was normal. Noise got worse, especially on cold starts in the morning.

Brought the car in yesterday for 24 km service. Pointed out the noise again, and they adjusted the valves- no change!! The loud marble in a can/rapping noise was still there. Service Technicians all agreed it was not normal.

A district sevice manager was at the dealership today and I had him hear it and he told it me was normal. What an arrogant individual he was (typical of Honda Canada- you know Honda builds the best cars, we're not Chrysler- yada-yada-yada). I left the car with him to start four hours later. I came back to the dealership and now they are looking at the prospect of replacing the engine block. No apology given.

In any event, there is a recent TSB out there on 2000 Civics regarding Piston Slap. In essence, Honda is now telling people that it is a characteristic of the car. I say that is [non-permissible content removed]. Many people will disagree on how serious or unserious piston slap really is. In my own opinion, piston slap is a quality control problem that is a good prognosticator of powertrain problems down the road. Ask those Ford F-150s owners about piston slap: Ford has been replacing a lot of engine blocks of late. At least, Ford is doing something about it (not that I am saying Ford builds good cars to begin with)

I am starting to believe that Honda does not build as good a car as it once did. The company, it appears, is milking its reputation built in the early and mid 90s and is now producing GM type cars. Each generation of Civic has become more "decontented". Maybe it has to do with manufacturing the cars in North America together with its increased reliance on 3rd party suppliers. All service techs at Honda tell me that the best built cars are the Prelude and CR-V (both made in Japan). The 2001 Civic is essentially a Chevy Cavalier - not my words, but from people at Honda Canada. Go figure.
  • phantomcaphantomca Posts: 20
    My old honda accord (1990) is built in Japan and I got 280,000 miles out of it (most of it highway). I sold it and is still drivable. The only problem I had when I sold it is a heating proplem after my radiator hose broke and the car overheated. My friend has an accord 1991 and built in Japan with 340,000 miles on it (highway). My new civic 2001 lx is built in Ohio. I do see parts that doesn't fit right. Good example is the rear door. The rubber door trim doesn't cover the top part of the sheetmetal. I can see little gap where water might get through. I bought some silicon and patch it in. In general....I am quiet happy with the car so far. Haven't have any problem with the fuel gauge or the rattling noise. Just my 2 cents.
This discussion has been closed.