Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I totally concur, please accept my sincere apology. What was I thinking, this is not the Jim Rome Show. I promise it will not happen again.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,974
    Okay, apologies gratefully accepted. Opinions are offered in good fellowship, not to prove "right" or "wrong".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,937
    Not a problem. These are pretty mellow forums with an occassional spat between members once in awhile.

fxashun,

Was your last post directed to me? I didn't say anything about tires or quality slipping ?
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    The tires part was directed at the guy that said he thinks his tires are bad but that he still thinks Honda's quality is slipping.
    I KNOW you wouldn't say Honda's quality is slipping. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :)
  • massagemassage Posts: 7
    thanks guys for the info on a/c. I really appreciate it . do you know if there is a way to test the sensors that go to the odometer the honda dealership told me that they could only test it when it was not working . once or twice a week the
    speedometer spikes to 60 then sits at 0 then suddenly it starts working again .(the contacts are all clean )
  • massagemassage Posts: 7
    i just replaced the passenger side mirror it cost me $120.00 for the mirror from the dealer a friend put it in. it was not that hard (sorry the info is so late i just saw the post
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    Massage, your speedometer symptoms indicate a defective VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)or a poor connection in the VSS circuit. The VSS is a pulse-counting device that mounts on the transmission. Within this device is a small shaft that is driven by the differential carrier - this small rotating component can fail. Check the computer for Diagnostic Trouble Codes; a code "17" is often (but not always) recorded if the VSS is defective. This problem will affect fuel consumption and performance and will definitely cause the cruise control to malfunction.
  • brorjacebrorjace Posts: 588
    Massage, once the diagnosis gets that particular, I'm afraid I won't be of any additional help. I'm just a do-it-yourselfer, after all, and not an actual mechanic. >;^)

To the person with the power steering problem, did you use OEM Honda fluid? If not, you may have cause a leak and possibly damage to your pump. Honda and Acura were pioneers in speed-sensitive steering and have used their own type of fluid for over a decade. Just look at most bottles of aftermarket fluid and they say NOT to use them in Hondas.

Moving on: Yes, I know the RSX is based on the Civic. It saddens me deeply ... and I'll probably go with the Toyota Celica GTS instead. It's almost the same car on paper but with better styling and a price tag about $2-3K less. This is actually a serious dilemna for me as I've been a diehard Honda/Acura fan for at least a dozen years. <:^(

Lastly, I know McCheapson Struts are an 'acceptable' suspension set-up ... but I much prefer the previous, conventional wishbone configuration. The traditional layout is more durable and ages much more gracefully. More than that, it's a sign that Honda is willing to scrimp on engineering. <:^(

--- Bror Jace
  • Hi All,

I just bought a new civic and I love it. The ride is smooth, fast and very fun. The color is Silver I/ black interior, its sharp looking. So far I've put 300 miles on it in. I know its new, but I haven't felt rattling of the steering wheel. I've had it at 85 and it was as smooth as it could be. No rattling what so ever, it corners like its on rails. all I really got to say is that if you take care of your civic, then it will last a long time. I want to modify it a little, just make it faster, so if any one has some ideas, please e-mail me.

Later
    "B"
    I just bought a 1993 EX Coupe 128K. I actually bought it because I have some Isuzu 5 star wheels that needed a car to go on and this one was a steal at $3000.
    Runs like a champ. AC is cold, engine is smooth, stereo sucks in radio mode but the CD player rocks, no squeaks or rattles. You just gotta love Honda, this car feels like it's ready for at least another 100K.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,937
    And after you've done the 100,000 miles you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it!

An EX...? Really? Salvage title?

Wow!
    Brandon_B01, try the "Civic" section of this site:

www.Honda-Acura.net

--- Bror Jace
    It was a trade. Not very well loved. Very light hail, 3 different size tires, hubcaps shot, needed detail. A diamond in the rough. Little elbow grease and 3 new goodyears(one on the car was fine) and it's a nice looking lil daily driver. Looks great next to my Lexus.
  • rae52rae52 Posts: 101
    Auburn63, I have a '99 Civic DX hatch that has 41k miles.

My local Honda dealer (Clinton Honda)is offering to install Honda a/c for $1150.00. They told me that they've had the AC kit for 2 years and they are sending it back to Honda the week of July 9th.

Is my car too old to consider having the dealers' tech tear eveything apart to install it? I'm totally paranoid just knowing what has to be done to install it, and is their price reasonable. It comes with a 12month 12k warranty.

Please respond back quickly--I would appreciate it. Thank You.
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    You are correct that quite a few components must be removed to install the A/C kit. However, each of these items is pretty straightforward in that the technician unbolts it and then re-installs it after attaching the appropriate A/C parts. While some items are tricky to reach, there are very few items that require adjustment or calibration. This is a "factory" kit which means that your A/C components will be identical to the factory-installed system of the higher-trim-line models. All of the electrical wiring is already in place so there are no "messy" electrical connections to be made. Even though there are quite a few parts involved, this is a not a difficult job. In short, I would not worry about the quality of work if the technician has done this before -- and most of them have. I am not a technician and I have done this job with no trouble. I hope you can get them to lower the price since you are negotiating for a system that they obviously regard as being "obsolete". As part of your request for a lower price, perhaps you could offer to let them do the job at a time that suits them best... some time when their shop work load is low. Good luck.
  • bklynboybklynboy Posts: 16
    A lovely note from Honda was in the mail yesterday. Does Honda just shovel components into a big box and ship it to the dealers? Does anybody work in quality control there? I am torn between shouting out to the world that the 2001 Civic is a piece of junk, or quietly trying to resell it to some other unsuspecting bonehead, just like Honda did to me.

June 2001
    Safety recall: Civic fuel pump connector
    Dear Civic owner: this notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
    Honda Motor Co. Ltd. Has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists with the fuel pump in certain 2001 Civic sedans. The fuel pump may fail due to corrosion of an electrical terminal. If the pump stops working, the engine will stall without waring, and a crash could occur.

What should you do?
    Call any authorized Honda automobile dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. If necessary, the dealer will install a new fuel filter kit that includes new terminals for the fuel pump connector. This repair will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your car for at least half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.

Bla bla bla about contacting a dealer or the NHTSA if you feel a dealer has not handled your call promptly (which Honda defines as 60 days after you initially call the dealer).

Honda Consumer affairs Dept
    800 999 1009
  • Geeeeez...you should complain a little more. You're lucky that you've only received one of those recall notices. Check out the Ford Focus. They had an [non-permissible content removed]-load of recalls and such.
  • scooter62scooter62 Posts: 18
    My fuel fill hose clamp recall came yesterday. I live in MN and Honda US said they send noticed by regions and is VIN specific. Wow, if a little torque wasn't done on these clamps, I'm afraid the whole thing might fall apart! ;-)
  • daveyddaveyd Posts: 14
    What 2001 Civic is this recall affecting? I have an EX Coupe, and by the sounds of a couple posts before, it looks like the sedans. But does anyone know if this going to affect the coupe too, cuz i havent recieved anything in the mail yet.
    D
  • I believe that that recall notice does, in fact, affect coupes as well.
  • mhobbymhobby Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 coupe that really seems to be having problems cooling now that it's getting pretty warm in my neck of the woods. I tried using the search feature of this site to find other posts from others experiencing this but all I get is the list itself not specific posts. The car is only about a month old with less than 700 miles. Have others experienced this?
  • bklynboybklynboy Posts: 16
    This stuff just writes itself. You can't make it up. My wife had dropped the car at the dealer for service for the recall notice we got yesterday (that was for the fuel pump and possible corrosion on the contacts); when she got back home today, there was another recall for the incorrect torque on the fuel line problem. I am beyond stunned. Here's a link to the NHTSA site for more info on these rolling pieces of junk; oh -- and here's my poetry for the night:

H-Happy

O-Owners

N-Need to

D-Drive

A-Acuras

C-Civic

I-Isn't

V-Very

I-Intelligently

C-Constructed

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

You may need to cut and paste the link above to get it all in your browser's address line.

• bevocbsbevocbs Posts: 2
    I have a 91 civic with about 150K miles. I have a couple of problems that I would appreciate feedback on before taking it in to dealer (possibly related problems or maybe completely separate). The first problem is with the air conditioner. For the past year and 1/2 my air conditioner has worked only sporadically at best. You can turn it on and it will be cool for a few minutes, but within 10 or 15 minutes it will only blow hot air. If you leave it running for a while, it will eventually cool again for another 10 or 15 minutes, but then go back to hot air. The hotter it is outside (I live in TX so it can get hot) or the hotter the engine gets, the more problems and the shorter time it cools. It has gotten to the point that I don't even turn it on anymore. Also, you can definitely tell the car runs differently when the A/C is on. If you turn the A/C off, whether you are driving or idling, you can feel the different speed at which the engine is running. Also, if it is very hot and you try to leave the A/C on (especially if on setting 3 or 4), the car will die while idling.

The second problem is with starting the car. After driving the car for just a few minutes (e.g. a trip to the grocery store), it is often very difficult to start back up. When you first try to start it, it soundd like it is starting, but then just die. Then it won't start unless you let it sit for 5 minutes or so (when trying to start it sounds like a car with a carborator would sound if it was flooded). After a few minutes, it will start and run fine. Again, this problem seems to be exacerbated by the heat (don't have the problem during winter).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    So how many 01 Civic recalls are we up to? Is anyone keeping track?
    Hard to start warm Civics are caused by a bad fuel injector relay. Have this replaced.

I love this, only a Honda would get the following complaint: "My Honda has 150,000 miles on it and it will sometimes stall and the A/C isn't as strong as it used to be ..."

Most owners of most cars would have already written off their car after 10 years and 150,000 miles. If the thing ran AT ALL they'd be thanking the stars and heaven above. But, people expect miracles from Honda cars and this is why we have so many complaints.

Now, for a weak A/C, have the freon level checked. As for why the car may die if you leave it idling, the car has a well-used 1.5L motor and the A/C compressor is a serious drag on it. You just have to realize that you can't have it all: great fuel economy and gobs of extra torque to handle such burdens with aplomb. My old 400 CID V8 Chevy Caprice used to have a great, powerful A/C ... but it got 12mpg ... if I was LUCKY!

All I'm saying is people need to be more realistic. Yes, I'm not terribly impressed with the 2001 Civic ... but it's not the lemon so many people here make it out to be.

--- Bror Jace
  • daveyddaveyd Posts: 14
    The 2k1 Civic hasnt had half as many recalls as some of the other cars out there (Focus) Not every car is perfect. A Car is a mechanical thing, and mechanical things break, and wear out over time. Just cause a car has had one or two recalls doesnt mean it is a horrible car. I have a 2k1 Civic, and wouldn't want to drive anything else. I am very satisfied, and I bet there are many many more people that are also satisfied. My 1990 Chevy Lumina had 6 recalls in the span of the 3 years I owned, and these recalls were small problems that were fixed for free with out hassle from the dealer.
    My 2 cents.
    D
  • cwosignscwosigns Posts: 13
    Hey guys!

Don't rain on this guy's parade. He might expect it to last 10 years/250k. It might not be absurd to think so, either. I have a '97 EX coupe with 165,079 miles and it's still purring like a kitten. Can barely hear the engine when it idles. Drives smoothly, great gas mileage, and still looks great (Vogue Silver Metallic is holding up well).

Chris Owens
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  • I have a 1990 Honda Civic with 268,421 miles on it, and am looking out my office windows at it right now, just made a trip to VA in it, it has been a great car, have had a couple of small problems out of it, but I started reading this stuff, and this is not a consumer tip line at all, this is nothing more that a bunch of people bitching and complaining because life has not been perfect to them.
  • pallovepallove Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX sedan. When I am driving down an incline at a shallow angle, I apply brakes using constant foot pressure and suddenly there is surge of pressure applied to the brakes. This sudden braking surge cause the the car to jerk suddenly. It is as though more braking pressure is being applied but I am not doing anything different with my foot braking pressure.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    or are you talking Grade Logic?
This discussion has been closed.