Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mattbratmattbrat Posts: 17
    You and I have the same cars, well not the same cars, but they look alike...silver, cvt with ac. BTW, I bought mine in january too, I think it was the 8th of january and I'm sure mine was built in december. I just hope I don't experience the tranny and cruise problems that you dealt with. This is my first honda and I and my wife love it! I'm also ready for the gas hike coming this summer.
  • massagemassage Posts: 7
    hi all I just purchased a 92 civic dx with 58,000 miles on it the only problem I have is I replaced the honda radio with an Alpine cd player . when I put the rear defroster on I get interference of reception on FM
    yet AM and the CD work fine Any suggestions? My wife says use the cd player when the defroster is on . my radio installer says it is just the frequency of the switch and not much i can do about it.
    thanks
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    CV boot failure at 45k miles is certainly disappointing but I believe these failures are related as much to age as to mileage. This failure does seem a little premature but perhaps it's within normal life expectation if you live in a very cold area or sometimes drive on roadways with salt or other chemicals that can cause deterioration of the boots. If the leakage is slight, it is very unlikely that the CV joints are damaged - in which case relubrication of the joints and replacement of the boots is all that's required. I presume your failure to be the 'outer' rather than 'inner' boots. It is suggested that you replace all four boots, however, because the inner joint/boot must be disassembled to allow replacement of an outer boot. Thus, the labor cost for all four should be very little more than for replacing the outer boots only.
  • max_2ksemax_2kse Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. The car has never seen snow or road salt (Texas weather). I saw cracks in the boots and some grease leaking from the ends of both inner and outer boots. I am disturbed by the quality of assembly and materials that Honda used. My former Prelude didn't need a cv boot replacement until 120kmi. The cv joints are fine, I don't hear any clicking noises. I read that it may be more cost efficient not to replace the boots but the driveshafts. The dealer wanted around $400 for cv boots replacement.
  • ghondaghonda Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2001 civic EX sedan and have been seeing more of them on the road lately. Each one that I've spotted on the highway seems to have a busy hind end, bouncing along as if the first inch of suspension travel as no sock absorber, just a bounty spring. Anyone else notice this???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    CV boots.....no, I don't think 45K miles/ 5 years is premature wear. This is a perishable part, and subject to road hazard, too. It also has a lot of hard work to do, exposed to weather, road hazard, and yet spinning at high speeds and remaining flexible. I'd be happy with two CV boot replacements over the life of the car (150K miles more or less)

• pbagratpbagrat Posts: 25
    I also have the cold weather knock on my 93 1.5 Civic sedan (143k miles). Its been going on for the past 20k. My mechanic said it wasn't a big deal and told me to put some Marvel Mystery Oil
    after each oil change to clear it up. This did nothing. The knocking only occurs for the first 5-10 minutes of driving on acceleration only. If I let the engine warm up for 10 minutes it doesn't occur at all. I am giving the car to my brother-in-law next month and buying either the Accord LX V-6 or another Civic.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Yep, I noticed the rear bounces both after driving and viewing (from behind) the 01 Civic. Apparently it is widely known because I read a British review of the coupe, in which they too experienced this problem. The site is www.autoexpress.co.uk You might have to setup a username to look at this review if it does not appear in the "preview" section. They pretty much dismissed the Civic coupe as unexciting and badly styled (when compared to the 01 hatchback).
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    Does anybody treat their cv boots with a conditioner or cleaner. I would think a quality rubber conditioner/cleaner would help to extend their life. Help to keep them pliable longer also.
  • teddwoodteddwood Posts: 16
    Two questions: 1)when I approach to stop, I can hear some clicking sound from the transmission. It is almost like some auto trans shifting noise. Anyone hears the sound? 2)The steering wheel is vibrating at high speed(around70). The dealer just balanced the four wheels. I am a little concerned about the front shocks. Do bad shocks make the steering wheel vibrate at high speed? The vibration is more noticable when accelerating. Thanks for helping!
  • brorjacebrorjace Posts: 588
    pbagrat, I'm think there might be something to this theory of "piston slap" as my car has this in 20F or colder weather. What I can't understand is how the car could develop such a pronounced wear pattern ... yet burns ZERO engine oil.

Perhaps it's because I used to lug the engine a little more than I should have? Perhaps it's because of the Prolong engine additive I used at around 40,000 miles which can promote wear under certain circumstances?

Weird.

--- Bror Jace
  • pbagratpbagrat Posts: 25
    My car has 143k on it now and has never burned any oil. The knock only occurs below 50F and dissapears after 10-15 minutes of driving. The higher the RPM the louder the knock. Well I'm giving the car to my brother in law next month and buying an Accord LX V-6
  • skihoserskihoser Posts: 12
    cartagram and devore -- I also had the clutch click or spring noise in my 01 EX coupe. But, at about 1500 miles the trans was replaced and after that, the noise went away. I am not saying they are related but in the transmission replacement and disconnection of the clutch, the noise dissapeared. I hope you don't have to replace the tranny to get rid of the clutch noise. Mine felt and sounded like the spring or fork was hitting something, just a click that could be felt in the pedal. Anyway, mine went away. Hope you both have the same luck.
  • goodstergoodster Posts: 4
    I don't know about this cold weather theory and piston slap because my 94 Civic LX (93K) makes the same noises in warmer weather. As a matter of fact it happened yesterday and the tempature outside was 50 degrees.

The real problem is how do we get Honda to fix it without us having to pay for it. I bought this car under the assumption that I would be able to get 200K out of it. That doesn't look like its gonna happen. I was also wondering if it is worth it for me to change the timing belt. My mechanic said do it at 90K but I don't want to do it if the engine is gonna stop in another 10K miles because of this piston slap. Any ideas?
  • brorjacebrorjace Posts: 588
    Unless you blow your motor AND have the receipts to prove that you maintained it, you'll probably never get a cent out of Honda ... and on a car with 100,000 or more of otherwise trouble-free miles on it, I really don't think they owes us much more.

I've heard of several people complaining of this exact same condition but once warmed up, the car runs flawlessly.

If the motor blows, THEN worry about how to get some money/service out of Honda.

--- Bror Jace
  • devoredevore Posts: 39
    I took my EX in for the first oil change and told them about the single, soft "click" I hear when I depress the clutch. A technician got into my car with me and listened to it and immediately told me it was the cruise control switch, to disengage the cruise if it's on when the clutch is pressed.

Later that day I took the car out and sure enough the crusie light goes off JUST as the click happens.

I think my "clicking" noise is different than the racheting noise others have complained about, but wanted to share the info.
  • anewtonanewton Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX. It is coming up on 60K. The manual suggests to change the timing belt at this point. This is somewhat of a pricey upkeep. I was wondering if anyone with a civic has any advice on this topic.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    60K seems low for a change. Thought it normally is suggested at around 90-100K. Double check, maybe it just recommends inspection. If it truly says to change it I would do it within a few thousand miles of the recommended interval.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    97 Civic should have belt replaced at 105k according to manual. You may want to check the manual again.
  • alexjsalexjs Posts: 4
    Certainly keep an eye on it. Back when they used timing belts instead of chains (like in my old '85 Accord) 50-60k sounded about right. But I think chains have made a comeback, and I think they're good to maybe 100k miles under normal conditions. I'll leave the definition of 'normal' up to you... ;^)

I would at least have it looked at around the 50k mark. When it breaks on the road, you're truly stuck. But if it needs to be replaced, get all your belts done at the same time. My mechanic said that it's a lot of trouble to get to it, so you might as well make the most of the labor $$$ and change them all.
This discussion has been closed.