Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    chances are that either the flush got things in motion for the cure or that whatever was stuck in the valve is no longer stuck. They should have been cleaning and or replacing the linear valve(sometimes called the cpc valve) and flushing the transmission 3 times. Now as far as what to do that is your choice, there is the chance that it will never clog up again but there is an equal chance that it might. There is also a chance that the unit you have installed may end up with a problem. Since there are no gaurantees other than the warranty on it the choice is yours. My opinion
    is that if they are going to warranty you a reman trans for free, you may as well start out with a new reman transmission since you already know that you atleast had a problem with the trans that is in the car now. Good luck with your choice..
  • I have a 93 civic LX automatic. Lately, the gas mileage seems really bad (20 mpg, town) and it has no power up until 3500-4000 RPM. I know it is a 1.5 liter and doesn't get peak power until that RPM, but it seems like my friends 93 LX has more power than mine. Someone told me that a faulty distributor may be to blame. Would this cause loss in power and gas mileage? Has anyone else had this problem? The repair is $400, so if it is just an illusion that is is losing power, I won't get it fixed. Thanks
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    The remotes may be the same between 2 years of the same model, but they are not between different models. For one, the Civic does not have a power trunk release as the Accord may have.
    The key is the FCC-ID, the CIV has its own relative series numbers (as is the Accord's).
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    Use an Accord fob for a Civic?

On a side note, I have new fobs for my CR-V and I noticed they were slightly different than the ones I have from the Accord. The Accord's (made in the US) fobs seemed sealed, although I think there is a way to open it. Whereas the CR-V's (made in Japan) have an easily accessed way to replace the battery.

On another side note, what's a Civic LE?
  • osum02osum02 Posts: 29
    I just bought a 2002 Honda Civic LX Sedan w/automatic trans. on March 8, 2002. It now has 800 miles on it. The car is great and I really like it a lot, but I have one concern. I've noticed when I first start the car in the morning or for that matter, just start the car for the first time on any given day, it cranks fine but has a bit of hesitation just prior to turning over. I used to work swing shift getting off at around 10PM and it would do the same thing then. These incidents have been when it's either relatively cool or it's been cold like in the 30's or 40's in outside temperature. I took it into the local Honda dealer and they did an "electrical system" evaluation and found that everything was normal and within specs. This included the battery, alternator, etc. I spoke with another Honda dealership service dept. manager and he says that this is a "characteristic" of this car. He explained that he has 3 fleet 2000 Civic's and when he has gone out to start one of them in the morning he also has experienced this same type of hesitation. He says it's mostly due to the fuel having drained completely out of the fuel injectors and into the fuel tank. Interestingly enough, this didn't happen when I left work the past couple of days around 5PM when it was still daylight and around 75 degrees and it sat for 9 hours straight without being started. This issue has got something to do with it sitting for a long time when it's cold or cooler. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Is it really a characteristic of Civic and/or Honda's in general? Thanks for your input!
  • mgreene8mgreene8 Posts: 8
    To auburn63, thanks for the input. That's the consensus so far; trash that was stuck came out of where it was and is now, hopefully, in the filter. Since Wednesday, March27, trans shifts extra smoothly; No problem. One thing that was suggested to me was "maybe" the Dealer has some information re this problem or model year and that was why `total replacement` was so quickly given as the answer to the problem. Sometimes things just shouldn't be this difficult, but I digress.

To carguy62 the Civic `LE` should have been a Civic LX. His owner has had a *very* bad week and just didn't catch the typo during edits. And if I could post an `embarrassed` face, I would.
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    osum02
    The problem could be that the fuel presure is bleeding off and needs to re-presurize before the start up. The sun still out in the 5pm start could have kept presure in the tank through the radiant heat. Try turning the key to the run position and waiting for 5 secounds before trying to start and see if the start up is better. This will presurize the system.
  • ronin_88ronin_88 Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 EX coupe and never had any problems starting it. Cold weather was never an issue either. Even when my car sat outside all night in sub-zero temperatures, I had split second startup. Coldest morning we had this past winter was around -8 fahrenheit, and again, it gave me split second startup. No block heater either. Very reliable little car.
  • cokane5227cokane5227 Posts: 117
    the starting problem is happening to my 02 accord too. but mine started happening after i hit 8,000 miles, not 800.
    i'll try the method auburn63 has told and hopefully it'll start up fine so at least i know that the fuel pressure thing is the problem.
    and good luck to u too.
  • cokane5227cokane5227 Posts: 117
    i tried the method auburn63 told and it worked perfectly, so it is the gas pressure thing. is it a major problem? is there any simple way to fix it? or should i juz leave it alone?
    cuz tonite when i started it without waiting for 5 secs in "on" position, the hesitation appeared again, it's not that bad but it's noticable.
    any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    cokane5227: This starting issue is fairly common on many different cars. I have a Malibu and it does the same thing int he morning or other cold starts. Normally mine jsut takes 1 to 2 seconds to turn over during these type starts (yes, it does sometime feel like 5 seconds). But i just dow as auburn suggested, turn the key to the "on" position, wait a couple of seconds then turn the car on.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Now if it did it after you'v been driving around, then I would be worried.
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    If anyone objects to the "5 second wait", a wait of only two seconds will pressurize the injector fuel rail just as well as in five seconds. A timer causes the fuel pump to run for the first two seconds after the ignition circuit is activated. This is sufficient time to build normal pressure. The pump stops after two seconds because of the possibility that that the operator might leave the ignition "on" without cranking the engine. In that situation, it would be undesirable to circulate fuel through the pump relief valve for a long period of time or to place such a load on the battery.
    Thanks to auburn that is a normal part of my starting procedure. I find it especially helpful when the gas is low---must be less pressure anyway.
  • mgreene8mgreene8 Posts: 8
    Found out today that my dealer discovered a "bulletin" when they inquired last week about the problem I was having with my trans. ((even though it has been shifting extra smoothly since 03.27)) I don't know the specifics, but apparently it can be an intermittent problem and Honda's solution is a complete replace. I get my wheels back tomorrow.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Does anybody know how to turn off the 10k mile service light on a 2002 Civic? Probably disconnecting the ground at the battery would do it, but I don't want to have to reprogram my radio presets every 10k miles.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    It's very easy, the instructions are in the manual...something like turning on the ignition, and holding in the reset button for the trip meter...but I don't have the manual in front of me now, so please verify before you do it.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    IF it's the same as it was in my Accord you have to hold that reset button down for the trip meter while you turn your key in the ignition to the "ON" position and hold it there for 10 seconds or so. That's what reset it in my Accord but I would suggest checking your owner's manual.
  • h1vch1vc Posts: 295
    Can anyone tell me how to change the dash light bulb in a 83 civic? Thanks.
  • I have a 1999 Honda Civic. Everytime it rains I have water in my trunk. I have taken it to the Honda dealership I purchased the car from several times for repair, but they seem to be unable to find the leak. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so did you have any luck? Any suggestions are welcomed.......
  • I have a 1999 Civic with leak in my trunk. I have taken it to the dealer I purchased the car at five time over the past several months, and they can not seem to find the leak. Everytime it rains I have water in the trunk. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so was it fixable? Any suggestions.......
    In cases like this a garden hose may be used to see if you can pinpoint the leak. If it were me I'd go to another dealer if that is an option.
  • I am a proud owner of a new 2002 Honda Civic EX. Upon reading the owner's manual, I came upon the maintenance section which said NOT to change the engine oil until after the first 3750miles. Is this correct? Or is it okay to change my engine oil earlier? I've heard that it's good to change the engine oil at around 1500 miles for the first oil change. Any Suggestions?
  • After reading a few posts, I see that my car has a few common problems: noise coming from the front end at low speeds, 2 gear sticks, and the handling/steering is getting worse. some folks have mentioned bad struts, and i think that might explain why my '02 has clicking/popping/ noise from the front end, and perhaps why the handling (which was very tight and easy to steer) is now loose. i'm also having intermittant problems with shifting up or down into 2nd: first gear "pops" out while shifting, even at low RPMs, and its hard to shift into 2nd. if anyone has had these problems, please let me know. thanks.
  • We have a 2001 Honda Civic. Both of the front struts have leaked out all of the oil. Here's the kicker....Honda struts are on back-order. The dealership has NO IDEA how long it will be and there are not other struts that fit the civic. Has anyone else experienced this? By the way if your front end is making a clunking noise I suspect you may have the same problem that we do. Have I mentioned that Honda Customer Service totally sucks? Just mentioning it.
    Taya
  • devoredevore Posts: 39
    2nd gear "popping": I noticed this on my Civic when I first got it, but later on determined that it was operator error (me), and not the car. It turned out I was _slightly_ tugging on the stick to go from 1st to 2nd before fully depressing the clutch - when I did this, the stick felt like it "popped" out of 1st. I'm not saying that this is for sure what's going on in your case, but something to consider.

Loose steering: I felt like my steering got _much_ "easier" to steer (looser) after a recent alignment. Did you have the car aligned recently? I believe that wheel alignment can have some effect on how "easy" it feels to turn the wheel.

Struts: It seems ridiculous that Honda has replacement struts on backorder. Aren't the vehicles being damaged by driving them around without any oil in the struts? I would expect Honda to compensate me for damage incurred to my vehicle as a result of their inability to provide fixed parts.
  • bwilkinsbwilkins Posts: 3
    My 2001 civic coupe has no heat coming out of the floor registers. The heat on all other settings is over 120F but out of the floor it is in the 50's on a cold day (buffalo NY).

It's been to the dealer twice and they say it is normal and have shown me two other hondas with the same problem.

I contacted Honda USA and they say it is normal.

Anyone else have heat? Or is there a workaround.
    Do you really mean "no" floor heat, or just very little floor heat? I've noticed that the amount of heat delivered to the driver's floor is less than I would like it. But there's definitely SOME heat.

I can't imagine the dealer saying that "no" floor heat would be normal. I mean, there's a vent there. If there's absolutely no air coming out of it, something's broke.

You can increase the flow of heat there by partially closing the passenger and driver's side air vents - when you engage the heat, a LOT of air comes out those side vents. Actually, air ALWAYS goes out those side vents, no matter what "mode" you're in. I think Honda made it this way since the side vents can be manually opened or closed.
    Yes, there is a bit of air flow coming out of the floor vent. But the temp of it is cold. I even brought in a high speed digital themometer to the dealer and we went over every vent. Top vents and dash vents over 120F. Floor vents (side vent closed or open - doesn't matter) is about 10 degrees above the outside air temperature.

FYI, the other civic they had on the lot did the same thing.

I went over all of it with Honda USA and after a couple of calls about it they left a message on my answering machine saying the car was working as designed and they considered my case closed.
    I don't think it's your particular car, because my vent "works" as you describe, and I've seen this complaint come up before. I would agree with you that the heat coming out of that vent isn't sufficient.

Like I said, the workaround I've used is to set the vent dial on "floor" and to close both of the side vents. This forces all of the hot air to come out of the passenger and driver's side foot vents. That's worked well enough for me up in Wisconsin, but maybe things are colder in Buffalo. :)
    Yes, there is a bit of air flow coming out of the floor vent. But the temp of it is cold. I even brought in a high speed digital themometer to the dealer and we went over every vent. Top vents and dash vents over 120F. Floor vents (side vent closed or open - doesn't matter) is about 10 degrees above the outside air temperature.

FYI, the other civic they had on the lot did the same thing.

I went over all of it with Honda USA and after a couple of calls about it they left a message on my answering machine saying the car was working as designed and they considered my case closed.
This discussion has been closed.