Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    I think you may have to either attempt a valve adjustment yourself and or have another dealer check it for you. Being that you didnt have a problem before and now notice one, then it would seem as if they may have made a valve too tight.Mind you a tight valve would not make it noisier,however would make it idle roughly.As for the noise does it sound like a ping or like a deep roar kind of sound?
    One other question have you had a check engine light on? Your year Civic has been known to cause a misfire code and if it has one you may be able to get a new computer.But if no light then you would not be able to.
  • cookstercookster Posts: 10
    I would characterize the noise as a pinging type of noise that is particularly noticeable around 2000 rpm when accelerating. At speeds over that the engine has a gruffer sound than it did before - just not a smooth sounding. I found prior to the valve adjustment I could not hear any engine noise at highway speeds up to about 70 mph. Now when I am cruising at 60 mph I hear what sounds like valvetrain clatter.
    The check engine light has never come on.

I have owned 7 Honda's since 1979 and have never had a valve adjustment done where it made any difference to the way the car ran.

Thanks again for your advice.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Posts: 91
    How much work is involved in replacing an antenna for a 94 civic ex? I have the OEM part.

Thanks
    The antennas are not hard for us but they are not fun. You have to get to the antenna end at the back of the radio, then un route it from under the dash. Then tie a peice of wire at the end of it so when you pull it out of the pillar area you can just pull the new one through with it.then reverse the order. Now after all that rambling that is if the antena is on the roof, drivers side.I have a hard time keeping track of model years.If I wasnt clear enough let me know and I will try to be more clear.
  • racerx_9racerx_9 Posts: 7
    Drivers roof indeed. Thanks again.

I've lurked on many topics on this board and can say NOBODY offers more valuable advice than yourself.
    Well thank you very much, although there are alot of people that know alot of info on these boards. I get amazed sometimes.....But thanks, have a good one.........
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    HI - MY FRIEND TRISH JUST HAD HER ENTIRE AUTOMATIC
    TRANSMISSION REPLACED ON HER 98 CIVIC AT 35K. SHE
    DID NOT PURCHASE THE EXTENEDED WARRANTY, SO SHE
    WAS LUCKY THAT SHE JUST MADE IT UNDER 36K FOR THE
    ORIG WARRANTY.

IS THIS COMMON WITH HONDA CIVIC AUTOMATICS? I
    HAVE A 10 MONTH OLD 99 CIVIC AUTOMATIC,AND I DIDN'T
    PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. THE CAR HAS 19K ON
    IT NOW.

I WILL GO TO THE DEALERSHIP RIGHT NOW AND PURCHASE
    THAT EXTENDED WARRANTY IF THE AUTOMATIC
    TRANSMISSIONS IN THESE HONDAS HAVE A HABIT OF
    CRAPPING OUT. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF SUCH A THING,
    AND EVEN TRISH THINKS THAT HER TRANNY WAS JUST A
    LEMON, BUT I'M NOT SURE I SHOULD TAKE THAT CHANCE.
    ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS? I PLAN ON
    DRIVING THIS CAR WELL INTO 300K.

IN OTHER WORDS, I'M KEEPING IT FOREVER!
  • mohmmohm Posts: 1
    Yes. Honda has a history of poor auto transmission design and reliability. For those who remember the first few years Honda cars were introduced in the US, Honda had serious problems with auto transmission. Even though with significant improvements in the last decades, Honda still lags behind other manufacturers in this aspect. If one wants to enjoy the most out of a Honda, standard transmission is the way to go!

While we are on the topic, I never cease to amaze the strange driving culture in the US. While automatic transmissions are rare in Europe (and elsewhere in the world), Americans still insist on auto transmission. Why? Does it have anything to do with the laziness in "spoiled-brats" attitudes among American drivers?
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    The high level of preference for automatic transmissions in North America is surely related to the long travel distances and fuel price structure. These factors facilitated the development of large, comfortable, cars with engines sufficiently large to operate the rather inefficient fluid couplings and torque converters of the early automatic transmissions. Most other economies continued with smaller vehicles which were not compatible with the early inefficient & heavy automatics. 87% of American cars had automatics by 1957 so this is the conventional and usual transmission choice for a great many of today's American drivers.
    that are a simple enough reason for preferring an automatic over a manual:

CITY DRIVING.

try communting in the morning for a few hours through Boston or New York with a manual....you'll hate all the clutch work - the incessant 1 to 2 stop, 1 to 2 stop.

in all other circumstance, a manual is great.
    in heavy traffic, it sucks.
  • cdtcdt Posts: 6
    Hi

My 93 civic is very difficult to get started at hot days, especially in the afternoon or just stop after a long run. But after it cools down, all trouble gone.
    Some one told me that all honda car (90-93) have this kind of problem and maybe there is something wrong with the main relay, is that correct?
    How much it will cost if I have my car repaired by mechincal. A mechinal here ask for $300 for it, but i think it is kind of unreseanable
    Please help me out

thanks

cdt
    The main relay could cause this and is a good guess at what is wrong. As far as how much it cost I dont remember but maybe you should call Honda parts and see how much the part is.
  • ron825ron825 Posts: 4
    Hi

I have a 2000 Civic VP that my parents bought on May 6. The car had a tedency to pull to the right when I got it, so like a month later, after finals ended, I took it the dealer(Mount Vernon Honda in VA). I called the previous day to schedule an appointment and made sure to ask if it would be repaired under warranty, and was assured by the service advisor that I would not be charged. After they were done with the car, the same service advisor came to me showing me a reciept that said I owed them $59.99 for a 4 wheel alignment. I reminded him that he said that I would not be charged since it would be under warranty. Then he told me to wait while he talked to his supervisor. After about 15 minutes of waiting, he came back to apologize for his error since he was "new", and that I would recieve the reciept over the mail along with a customer service survey or something. When I drove the car out of the dealership, I noticed that it still had the pulling to the right.

It's almost a month now, and I still haven't gotten the reciept. I think that they didn't mail me the reciept because they didn't repair it. What do you guys think?
    i hope you didn't pay for it.....did you? never ever pay for that kind of stuff on a new car.
    never ever believe anything they say when they talk "rebate".

go back there and raise holy hell.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    most cars have a 12month/12,000 mile warranty on alignment and brakes. If your car is under 12months or 12K miles they should fix it under warranty. Its in your warranty manual...look it up.
  • ron825ron825 Posts: 4
    Oh no, I didn't pay for it. I went over there without any money on me along with the assumption that it'd be no charge because of the warranty and because the service advisor told me over the phone that I wouldn't be charged.
  • rettsretts Posts: 3
    My 88 Honda Civic DX has started to chirp whenever
    I pull into the gravelly and slightly bumpy driveway, going in and out of paved drives, driving over uneven road surfaces, slight bumps in
    the road, or even taking turns. It is fine and quiet on smooth road. I had the mechanic take a look and he said the bushings are worn and the job really isn't worth doing. The car has 123,000. miles and is is good shape. My question are: what are bushings, where are they, what do they do, and can they cause all this chirping I'm hearing, and is something really wrong just waiting to happen?
    Also I would like to know how hard it is to change
    the oil filter on this car without a lift. Can I
    jack it up and get to the filter safely? The
    clearance on these cars doesn't leave much room
    for sliding under.
    One more: The mechanic also told me that I'm about
    a pound short on freon in the AC system, and it is
    possible that my compressor is going because I can
    hear a clicking sound that gets louder the longer
    the AC runs. It doesn't happen right away, the car
    has to be running for about 15-20 minutes before
    the chatter starts.
    And. . .where can I find a book/service manual that would help me out with minor repair and diagnostic stuff. This is the first Honda I have owned and I would love to be able to help this car last another 100K.
    I also have a bit of rust happening on the outside of the rear wheel fender/panel. It has not gone through to the other side. I want to either fix this myself or find someone who won't charge an arm and a leg.
    Any suggestions or advice on these issues would be
    much appreciated. I like to do the simple stuff
    myself, and also know what I am talking about when
    I speak with the mechanic.
    Thanks!
    I dont know exactly what bushing the mechanic is talking about but maybe he is talking about the lower ball joints.They would make a squeak like noise over bumps.There are a few other possibilities also. He could even be talking about the sway bar bushings if your car has one.As far as the AC goes a one time click isnt bad but if it is a constant one then maybe the compresor is going.You would need to charge it up fully in order to diagnose it.As far as a service manual, go to a Honda dealer and ask if you can order them still.The oil filter should be accesable to you when on jack stands depending on how high you can get it.There not that hard to get to.
  • ricklesrickles Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Honda Civix VX with 98,000 miles and a standard transmission and no AC which has a long standing (18 months or more)problem. When driving, either local or highway, the car very briefly hesitates or skips in power. I have taken it to three different mechanics including the local Honda dealer. I have had them suggest and replace the fuel filter and fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor, and wiring on top of the engine. No luck - it still does the same thing.

It seems slightly worse when the fuel level is low, or the weather wet (this is rare in Colorado so my data is sparse). In reading other postings I saw several which discussed overheating causing warping of the head and subsequent mechanical difficulties - when the car was newer and driven by the late owner it would run hot in stop-and-go traffic. As far as I know the car never had an overheated radiator incident as he would stop until it cooled down. I later discovered that the fan fuse had blown when the car did overheat in the mountains, replaced the fuse and the car has never run hot again.

Two questions: Could the skipping be due to engine damage due to running hot and if so what type of damage should I suspect? If not related to engine damage (please, please be the case!) what other likely possibilities are there for the source of the problem?

Thank you for any help.
  • mreillymreilly Posts: 7
    Earlier this week I posted the following message
    in the TSB board and someone there referred me to
    this page and told me to ask AUBURN63 my question.
    If he's here, or if anyone else can help me, I'd be
    eternally grateful!!!! ( Iknow it's not a Civic question, but it relates to all Hondas, from what I've been reading)

Here's my question:

Last summer I paid around $500 to have the
    condenser replaced on my 95 Prelude VTEC. I
    recently discovered that there are 2 TSB's
    pertaining to the condenser failing on 95
    Preludes(both dated 1997). (I'm original owner,
    BTW.)

Do I have any recourse? My mechanic (a Honda
    trained technician with many years of experience
    on
    Hondas) mentioned that he has had to replace many
    condensers on 95 Hondas (all models) because