Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• deluxcardeluxcar Posts: 47
    Where do you drive this car? Switching to Toyota will not help if you continue to drive this badly. I suggest you look closely at an SUV or a Ford 150 pickup.
  • Hey, people!
    I'd like to offer my Honda Civic 1996-2000 service manual (Honda Motor Co is the publisher, no USBN number unfortunately) for sale. I bought it, but didn't use it. So it's in "like new" condition. If interested, please e-mail me at vasvik@netzero.net
  • I drive my car back and forth to WORk, mostly on the freeway. I've owned two previous Hondas, a Civic and an Accord, and drove the same roads with those cars with no problems. The dealer told me the struts were both defective from the factory.
  • I just bought a civic coupe and almost every time I step on the brake, I hear a distinctive and loud "click". The dealership has advised me that that's just the way this car is and that replacing the switch won't change the noise. Has anyone else had this problem? I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
  • I have had problem in Hodan 2000 4-dr Sedan.. Soon after I bought this one, I have had on-going clicking/rattling noise problem at right rear car.. Within a month, the dealer changed the right rear strut.. The simliar noise from rear of my car came back early this year.. I went to a dealer.. They changed the both of rear arm bushing.. Since then, my noise probelm gets worse.. The dealer started to claim that the noise is normal(even thought the noise gets even worse..) So overall I've pretty much disappointed with this car... and the dealer which refused to look at my probelm any more..
    So I had to drop by another dealer.. I bought Honda becuase I've heard that honda is worry-free.. But I could not say that I have been happy about this Honda.. Pretty much frustrated experience from both mechanic and dealer at Honda.
    Have you ever heard like "What did you expect after buying Honda Civic".. Could say that it was the humuliated experience.. I don't know whether I will go with Honda next time.. Probably I will go with another Japanese car maker.
    My car milege is under 20,000.. But I think that I've visited at the dealer about 15 times for this on-going noise problem..
  • I have the same problem with that annoying clicking sound coming from the front driver's side of my brand new (55 miles) 02 EX coupe. I first thought it was coming from the door, but I guess it's the struts? For you guys who've had this problem: was the cost of the repair covered under the warranty? How long did it take? Thanks.
  • I bought mine civic last satuday and i noticed the noise but it sound too close to the upper right side between the air vest and the fire wall but in the inside there is no way that click could come from the out side then you would feel the ckick either on the way it ride /breake pedal/or a more dole noise. it is too close and fine to be suspension. have to be a module or a relay that was not properly mounted.
    Greetings from sunny miami.
  • I've been to the dealer this past year 9 times for strut and other suspension related problems. The current squeak I'm hearing after having both front struts and the rear stabilizer bar AND links replaced is probably something I'm going to have to live with unless they replace the rear struts too. I don't think I want another Honda after this, at least not a Civic. the 1988 Accord I had was the by far the best car I've ever owned, but both Civics have been disappointments.
  • The dealership from where I just bought my Civic told me nothing could be done about the loud brake switch! So, I have contacted American Honda Corporation and am waiting for a response...
  • Hi all. I had a '99 Honda Civic DX 5-speed and had one too many problems. I traded it in at Toyota and got a corolla. I am never going to buy a honda again. But I notice some ppl love their hondas. Just curious if any of you experienced these problems and if they are common:

Squeeky noise when driving over bumps

Driver side front window rattling at speeds of 35+ (continually cranking down window and rolling it back up to create better seal...never worked)

Slow crank down in hot weather and rain with windows.

Radiator busting after 2 months of owning new car

Seatbelts breaking 4 times 1st month, 3rd, 4 and 6th month of owning car...

Air conditioning going out 5 times (3 times componets had to be replaced)

AC never really getting cold...even after 30 min of being on

Clutch going out after 2 yrs (car was never raced and clutch was gently handled when driving)

Idle and engine problems at 2 1/2 years. Thank goodness for warranties!

Oh and then the crowd favorite...honda service techs forgetting to put the new oil in the car after an oil change. Never ever go to Rock Honda, Spreen Honda or another honda dealer in Ontario...bad service ppl.
  • Greetings all.

I own a 1998 civic hx. The first three years were great but the last year it has developed a few problems and the dealership can't seem to fix them.

1. strange rattle in the back, they said maybe it was a rock.

2. The tranny-a cvt-doesn't come down fast enough when I hit the brakes. It trys to take off if I don't hold it my foot on the break. The dealer said Honda is aware of the problems but have no solution. The warranty is over but Honda gave me goodwill and tried to flush the tranny. I was told to come back in 6 mos. maybe there would be a solution.

3. It has only been four mos and it still jerks sometimes so hard it shuts itself off. Also now the brakes are slow to respond and the car accelerates to 70 mph with little pressure while other times it sticks. This time when I called for an appointment I was not greeted warmly. I am afraid to start spending lots of money on a car that has many years to go. btw it only has 28,000 miles.

Help can I get rid of this car? It is paid off in 4mos.
  • My 2002 Civic EX had the clicky noise too. My service sheet reads: Removed left front strut dampner cleaned and lubed top plate bearing to remove click noise, test drove no click noise heard at this time. Someone else was told it was a suspension spring rubbing and it was oiled. So far so good on my repair.
  • Sounds dangerous to me. I'd get rid of it. Trade it in and maybe save your life.
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    Sounds as if someone needs to verify your complaints and find out if they are transmission related or engine performance. The surging could be a number of possible problems as with the noise. However if the noise is like a coo sound that last about 10 secounds after a stop then that points to the transmissions start clutch as does harsh shifting more so cold. Make the appointment if for nothing else but a diagnoses and then take it up with Honda if you have to.
  • I have civic with 53,000 and just learned that the rear struts are leaking, is this normal with the mileage on the car
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Friend of mine mentioned she has trouble starting her 1999 Civic Hatch when the gas is low, as in close to empty. Usually when it happens (I've experienced it twice) it turns over for about 5 seconds and starts. Sounds normal and it idles fine, just takes a bit longer than normal.

She mentioned yesterday it took much longer to start (a few times of 10 second cranking) and when it did, the 'check engine' light was on. Other than telling her to keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas at all times, any idea would could be causing the problem? Thanks!

Usually starts it cold, on a slight incline towards the front of the car...

-B
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Friend of mine mentioned she has trouble starting her 1999 Civic Hatch when the gas is low, as in close to empty. Usually when it happens (I've experienced it twice) it turns over for about 5 seconds and starts. Sounds normal and it idles fine, just takes a bit longer than normal.

She mentioned yesterday it took much longer to start (a few times of 10 second cranking) and when it did, the 'check engine' light was on. Other than telling her to keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas at all times, any idea would could be causing the problem? Thanks!

Usually starts it cold, on a slight incline towards the front of the car...

-B
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    It's normal to take a little longer to start when gas level is low. It's a bad thing to run the gas tank to empty for a fuel injection car. Fuel injection car needs higher pressure than carburetor car. You may damage the fuel pump when gas tank is empty.
  • Just to let you know, 2 bottles of Tectron took care of the spark knock in my 94'. I can run 87 octance gas now with no problems. Car runs smooth as silk. I think I will add Tectron with every oil change from now on.
  • We just would like to know if it is normal to have to replace the front brake pads at only 15,000 miles. Most of all our milage is freeway, but when we apply the brakes you hear a loud screeching and grinding noise. Has anybody else experienced this? Please drop a note if you have. Thanks everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.