Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Sentra Owners' Experiences

Comments

• cooljcoolj Posts: 15
    I have a chance to purchase a 2002 Sentra GXE auto with only 33,000 miles on it. Clean inside and runs great. Some dings and knicks to the exterior. I can get it for $3,900. Any comments from previous owners please!!!!!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    purchasing any used car is a gamble especially one that is almost 8 years old.however,considering that this sentra has low milaege and that nissans in general are pretty reliable cars you shouldn't have to many issues.
  • ovyboxovybox Posts: 21
    I have a 2008 Sentra and I have a similar problem: I have to adjust steering at all time while driving. I cannot tell if it is actually pulling one side or another but I have to constantly correct it. If I pull right to correct a left veer it goes right. If I correct the right, it goes left. It's like it cannot drive straight.
    I do not have a lot of experience: is this just an alignment problem? I took it to the dealer and he said there is no problem, just the steering is a bit stiffer than in other cars and it has to do with the road being tilted. But I am not satisfied with the answer: sounds like BS.
    It is kind of irritating since I do not have to do all that on my 12 yrs old Toyota.

barpye: I would appreciate if you keep me posted with your progress. I might follow suit.
  • I have found many complaints around the net concerning nissan and this specific problem pops up many times. I filed the lemon law complaint as nissan will not correct the problem because they are apparently trying to avoid a major recall. My advice is for you to do the same. Google up the lemon law info, be sure you still quailify, and get the ball rolling. The steering issue aside from the irratation of fighting with the car is a safety issue first and formost. Nissan refused to settle out of court (or fix the problem) so the court papers are filed. I will know more in Feb or March when I get a court date. Will try to update you then. By the way, all the BS excuses are choreographed by internal nissan memos to the service managers that I have seen for myself. They know the problem is there and have been instructed to BS people complaining with crap like road tilt, road crowning, small tires, electric steering feel, etc. All BALONEY. Good luck.
  • I have a court date in early January.

Please send any documents you have as I will submit to court

Thanks
    John

email - capac@optonline.net
    Hi John,

I yet have to produce documents. I'll go early January to another dealer to see what they say and then (after the dealer sells me BS) I plan to contact Nissan USA. I only have an invoice on which it's mentioned that I inquired about the problem but I think that's it.
    I'll let you know when I have some progress.
  • Bought a 2010 Sentra in October and have been experiencing the same "pull to the left" syndrome. I would like to share my experiences since. Dealership didn't even have specs to do front end alignment, yet they STILL sold me vehicle off their lot. LEft car with them for three days while they tried to fix it, and in a not so funny moment, the loaner car's battery went on me!!!! Had to take cab home from work and had dealer tow car back to lot with the explanation of "no one really checks out the loaners"....can you believe this crap?? Four attempts at trying to fix car did nothing. Awaiting Lemon Law Court Date. Speaking to Nissan America wasn't helpful at all. Consumer Affairs gaveme the name of a particular gentleman to speak to down there and I wasn't put through. I was given a lackey of the desired rep and he wasn't helpful at all. Two months have passed with having this car, and I am furious. Dealership General Manager says to me after 4th failed attempt, and this is ver batim, "it's out of our hands now...there is nothing we can do..." Will keep all posted on progress, and I kindly ask that if anyone has any addl info on these issues to please post.....thank you...
  • OMG I have the exact same problem! I've been to the dealer that sold me this car 4 times. The last time (a few weeks ago) I actually got yelled at by the service department. My regular auto repair company has said this car is dangerous the way it drives at highway speeds and would not even drive it. They suggested the Lemon Law to me but I thought because the dealer refused to call it a 'problem' (the dealer mechanic told me it was just crappy electronic steering) that the Lemon Law would not apply. I'm filing tomorrow!
  • have the exact same problem! I've been to the dealer that sold me this car 4 times. The last time (a few weeks ago) I actually got yelled at by the service department. My regular auto repair company has said this car is dangerous the way it drives at highway speeds and would not even drive it. They suggested the Lemon Law to me but I thought because the dealer refused to call it a 'problem' (the dealer mechanic told me it was just crappy electronic steering) that the Lemon Law would not apply. I'm filing tomorrow!
  • I believe there are many more out there. My court date should be late Feb. or early march. I will post the results. Good luck on your case.
  • I Have this issue, brand new car, took it in 3 times, still doing it. You would think with the recent problems Toyota is facing Nissan would want to adress this issue quickly. especially with the Corrola now having steering problems. Good luck with your litigation.
  • It's amazing how Nissan America is so devoid of common courtesy and help. Good ole due process. Still awaiting response to settlement letter. I know I shouldn't hold my breath.....

Will keep all posted. And I agree that in light of the Toyota fiasco that Nissan should want to jump at the chance to shine with their customers....
  • I hear ya. I will post any results as I get them. If lemon law doesn't work, I will go to the media.
  • Nissan just sent me an email asking how my recent service apointment was, I followed the prompt to give negative feedback about this issue and i was asked for a username and password that i don't have, don't know, never had. I tried again following the prompt to leave possitive feedback and sailed right on up to thanks for the feeback and the submit button. Very shady customer service tactic.
  • How 'bout that. One would think with all the Toyota stuff they would wise up.
  • je123je123 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I noticed this discussion when I was looking to see if there was an issue with these. I just want it to be aware that my 07 sentra is also having the same "pull to the left problem."

I bought the car from a non-nissan dealership and returned it to see if they could fix it. After they tried alligning and rotating tires they did not know why it was still having problems, but they mentioned it could be a "torque pull" where the left tire is working harder than the right - causing it to pull. They suggested taking it to a nissan dealership since it is still under warranty. I will do that soon, and I also look forward to hearing outcomes from nissan and lemon law suits.
  • barpyebarpye Posts: 8
    Noted, I have an appointment to drop the car at a nissan dealership where the car was purchased later in March for the nissan lawyers and I guess mechanics to "inspect" the vehicle. After that I anticipate I will receive a court date. I will post the up-dates and outcome.
    edited March 2010
    Just came back from my second encounter with the Service department. Visited another dealer this time, cause the first one seemed incompetent to me. They could not find anything, of course.

In the meantime I've been reading the Corolla forums and seems like they have the exact same problem: the car is wandering all-over the road. They suspect it is the Electric Power Steering causing this problem. I think they are right: the change from hydraulic PS to electric PS is what we feel. The EPS is praised all-over the internet for its technological advantages, by engineers most likely. It is unbelievable how these idiots can ignore how consumers feel about this stupid EPS.

Implications: this seems to be a design flaw, not an execution flaw. It means the dealers cannot do anything. There are no better parts to put in place.

What I plan to do next:
    - file a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) to make them and Nissan aware of the problem. I really do think this EPS (the way it is tuned now) is a safety problem: if you take your eye off the road for 5 sec, you may end up in the other lane. It is also a downgrade in driving comfort: I got Hulk's forearms from correcting the fcking steering every 2 sec.
    - try to get a brand without EPS. Maybe one with hybrid PS (hydraulic and electric).

I recommend that we all do file with NHTSA, otherwise we will not get noticed. Coupled with Toyota's complaints, it may have an effect. If we get at least 20 complaints on the same topic they may investigate. Last time I searched their database I only found 1, from 2007 I believe.

I think we will not be able to change much: changing the power steering on each Nissan (and Corolla) would be quite expensive. Car makers will pull out the big guns. But at least we send a signal to either improve the EPS or switch back to hydraulics. In the meantime I have to accept that my $3k '97 Toyota is a more pleasant driving experience than my $15k '08 Sentra. :mad:
  • mad3catmad3cat Posts: 5
    I had the pulling to the left problem and hard to control on the road at highway speeds problem with my 2008 Sentra. I finally found a dealership that would replace the steering column which replaced the electronic steering. (The first dealership I dealt with actually yelled at me for bringing my car back with the same complaint so often!) Absolutely no difference. It is a horrible car to drive at speeds faster than 55 which also bring (most often) longer driving times. My hands would ache and arms would be sore up to my shoulders. Nobody can figure this out. If 2007 are having this problems it's not electronic steering. I couldn't take it anymore. I got a Ford Fusion (32 mpg highway) and LOVE IT! It's so classy inside and drives like I'm going through butter. I always had Altimas in the past and should have stuck with them. I will probably never go back to Nissan after this experience.
  • mad3catmad3cat Posts: 5
    I had the pulling to the left problem and hard to control on the road at highway speeds problem with my 2008 Sentra. I finally found a dealership that would replace the steering column which replaced the electronic steering. (The first dealership I dealt with actually yelled at me for bringing my car back with the same complaint so often!) Absolutely no difference. It is a horrible car to drive at speeds faster than 55 which also bring (most often) longer driving times. My hands would ache and arms would be sore up to my shoulders. Nobody can figure this out. If 2007 are having this problems it's not electronic steering. I couldn't take it anymore. I got a Ford Fusion (32 mpg highway) and LOVE IT! It's so classy inside and drives like I'm going through butter. I always had Altimas in the past and should have stuck with them. I will probably never go back to Nissan after this experience.