Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Electrical Issues

Comments

• airjoeairjoe Posts: 5
    I bought a used 2003 G35 sedan. I've had it for about 2 yrs and began having the temp/audio control issues. Initially it was doing it intermittently but now the dash is completely dead. I have not gone to the dealership yet, but I'm dreading it after reading everyone's posts. i luv this freekin car, but this is driving me nutz. the a/c stays on constantly and no radio is certainly the pits.
  • Here's the latest. Several days ago, I used a multi-tester to measure the drain with the car off, at the 12v battery. The ONLY fuse that makes a difference when pulled is the 15A fuse in the block right by the battery. With the fuse in, it ranges from 0.8 to over 1.0 A. Pull the fuse and it drops as low as 0.02. I've gotten the vehicle service manual and examined the schematics closely -- that fuse only covers the radio/CD/AC controls (it would cover the NAV if I had it; I do not). The 15A fuse in the kick panel block is only for the (optional) Bose amp in the trunk, under the upper deck, which I do have. I did try pulling that fuse with no change. I also pulled the harness plug out of the amp just to be sure; no change in draw. My radio was repaired by an outfit that does many, many of these G35 radios per WEEK. I'm going to be back in touch with them tomorrow morning to see what my next step is. I'm all but convinced there is something left in that radio needing repair, and then my troubles will be over -- for at least a little while. BTW, I did look into the aftermarket center dash console solution -- it has AC controls, and allows you to put in a different radio. By the time you're done, I think you could easily spend a grand. And the plastic only comes in one of the two interior colors (not mine, "willow" -- of course)... But it may come to that yet. I've been driving with the aforementioned 15A fuse pulled for a week now -- the car has started each and every time. The AC is on where I left the settings before pulling the fuse. The radio/CD, of course, is out... But at least I can drive and no dead car in the morning...
  • kdooleykdooley Posts: 10
    I checked into an aftermarket dash console/finisher and spoke with the service manager at Infinity and he said that an aftermarket finisher/radio ABSOLUTELY would NOT work in Infinity autos. He said I would be wasting my money. We're still having the same intermittent problems. I'm hoping Intinity still step up to the plate and make a recall for these vehicles.
  • Even though I'm not heading down this path, these aftermarket dashes clearly must work -- Crutchfield is one of several reputable dealers that sell them, and have for a few years. They wouldn't if they did not work. I can see where a service tech, not having seen one, would figure that you'd lose your AC control. But the aftermarket console HAS the AC controls and circuit board/harness built in. You can see it at Crutchfield's website. Also, somebody sells them on ebay -- same unit. The downside to me is twofold -- first, the color does not match my willow interior (they sell the more titanium interior color), and second, between the consolde, harnesses, steering wheel control adapter module, new stereo, etc. -- it's a lot of money to put into a car actually manufactured in the Summer of 2002. For my own situation, I'm going to try again to have my Bose repaired, and hope to do that this week. I will be able to see the drain go away (or not) on my multitester before I drive home!
    :sick: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9777
    I was looking on autotoys.com and if you use the above link, you'll find aftermarket dashkits which allow you to change to an aftermarket radio. Is this possibly a fix for the radio/ac audio finisher board problems?
    http://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm

I also found this response to the radio/ac control problems:

AC controls are dead, stereo does not power up, no functions work. This is not a front face problem like the dealership may lead you to believe. This may be one of two problem, a bad ribbon cable connection pointed out in our removal instructions or most likely a stereo problem. Repair rate will range $185-295.

========================

This is only one repair service, but a very popular one.

The repair could involve the ribbon cable connecting the audio system components together or a problem inside the cd player itself.

Being and Infiniti is means the cost of repair will be little more than a less luxurious automobile.

I suggest you take it to a local car install/repair shop and get an estimate from them. It should not be so expensive as having to pull it out and send it off to a far-away place.

And, if it is the ribbon cable the repair might be nothing more than pulling the cable off, cleaning the contacts and carefully reinserting the cable ends to get good contacts.

But, this being an expensive model you should have it done by professionals. The Infiniti dealer is probably NOT the place to go unless they do have a trained audio system expert on staff (only a small percentage of Infinity dealers do have an expert)
  • The reason we sent the stereo off for repair was because this outfit fixes many G35 stereos every week for this problem. I figured the experience would make the difference. I'm not aware of a local place that has done this repair. I considered a cable problem, but that seems like it would result in a dead short. The audio repair shop indicated that a bad groud with the radio might result in increased draw, but he thinks that's unlikely because of the metal cage design. The initial repair was done in August, so it's under warranty. If it's the radio, they promised to take care of it. We'll see, hopefully this week!
  • Well... Like everyone here I am about to pull my hair out over a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan, which has renedered my Radio Controls/AC Controls useless. I called the Infiniti G35 consumer affairs dept yesterday and they said they know it is a known issue with the circuit board. However, there WAS a campaign after the car was released in 2003 but it was then lifted within the year (03). I was like WHAT???? I bought this car at Car Max and that was another whole experience I will not go into. All in all, I love this car, but I feel CHEATED by Infiniti as I know anyone does with this problem. There was a fuel hose recall, which I did get addressed today at the dealer however, I am stuck with a luxury car which I have no use of my radio and will not have heat for this upcoming winter as my controls are completely dead unless I pay Infiniti $2398 to fix. I have seen quotes from the dealers from other users a year ago on this forum for $300. What gives. Is the dealer treating customers fairly. I can believe that my car's value just dropped $3000 and even if I try to sell it I will be upside down in my payments because I can not get the going value for it because of manufacturer defect.

The dealer has filed a claim with the consumers affair today and I'll wait and see what Infiniti will do this coming Monday. If they choose not to do anything, I must say that I will be VERY VERY upset and will pledge not to buy another Infiniti/Nissan as long as I live. If they can't take care of this problem, I would vote that we should all band together and make an impact at Infiniti... Enough people bringing this problem to other potential customers attention could cause enough negative impact to Infiniti's business that Infiniti might consider being responsible for a problem on their end and NOT the consumer. It is ludicrous to think I have to shell out $3000.00 to have use of my heating/air and car stereo in a luxury vehicle.

Anyways.... I wish all the best with this. I am hoping from the best. We should all support each other in this. I will keep everyone tuned in. Please those with this problem share your experiences.
  • lralra Posts: 13
    "I am stuck with a luxury car which I have no use of my radio and will not have heat for this upcoming winter as my controls are completely dead unless I pay Infiniti $2398 to fix" - Where in the world did you get that figure. I had a 2003 with the same issue (it's caused by a bad circuit board) and the cost of repair was only a little over $300.00
  • Ira:

Thanks so much for sharing. This confirms how much I detest Dealerships - the fact that I am quoted close to $3000 and you had yours fixed for $300.00. I think they just want to soak up money from customers. That figure came straight from the dealership. I have it on the work order. I spoke with the manager in the dealership and told him I knew about a service recall on this very issue. The service campaign is noted as ITB03-007b. It can be found by googling it. HOWEVER, the manager tells me that my VIN number falls outside of the cars that are covered. IN other words Infiniti only chooses to address a small portion of the cars that were affected by a manufacturers defect. I imagine they are quoting me that number for one or two reasons. One - to scare me away or Two - because they dont want to repair it but would rather just replace the whole audio/electrical sub system.

Either way this is a serious problem with Infiniti, and I hope they will address it. I would love to get more information on how you got your problem resolved and where you went to resolve it. It has been very difficult not having use of my AC/Heat. I am in Atlanta and we are just starting our winter. Although, I know the winters are mild here. You do have to use the defrost, so I could say that it would be a safety issue.

JMK
    "HOWEVER, the manager tells me that my VIN number falls outside of the cars that are covered.."

It does NOT matter what your VIN number is. The part only cost around $300 and you just add the hour to swap out the unit.
    I made a safety complaint about a month ago. I think I went through the Edmunds.com site to make the complaint. I stated the very same thing, that I couldn't defrost my windows and it was very dangerous. BTW, I live in the Atlanta area as well. The dealer I contacted was, I believe, Marietta Infinity. They gave me a quote of about $3000 as well and also said my VIN number fell outside the recall. The dealer told me it was the finisher, but that I had to replace the stereo as well or it would go bad again. If you find out about the $300 part, I would be very interested. I'm sure we can install it ourselves.
  • What, $2398?
    For a circuit board?
    Are you sure it's not a Lexus?
  • Hi Kdooley....
    Thanks so much for your post.
    That is exactly the same dealer I am dealing with and I suspect I am getting the same run around. I will get an attorney involved if I have to. Infinit needs to take ownership of this. They do not want to take ownership for what is clearly a manufacturer defects. I am glad you posted. I can certainly appreciate what Ira posted, but it DOES matter according to Infiniti what your VIN is. It is on the Service Recall bulletin. You can download it off the internet. In the bulletin, they mention that only some 23,000 cars are affected. I would venture to say that is a very low conservative estimate. I am sure that there lack of Quality Control to carefully disign a circuit board for a Luxury car is the reason why this is a huge problem among 2003 Infiniti G35s.
    Ira could you please share with kdooley and myself how you managed to get your problem fixed for $300.00. That certainly is much better than the same story that both kdooley and myself have been told at around $3000.00.

As far as the stereo having to be replaced too. I believe that is the case because I have found articles on the internet pointing to the a flaw being found in the car stereo which causes a huge current drain which eventually causes the finisher board to go out. Some Infiniti users have even had their batteries drain and go dead on a recurring basis.

I also agree with you that this is certainly a safety issue, when due to changing weather conditions or if their is rain and I can't operate my defrost then I have a serious problem on my hands which could cause an accident.

I hope that Infiniti will choose to address this and take it more seriously than they have been.
  • It might as well be a Lexus - the way I am getting treated from the Infiniti dealership.
    I think I should post an attachment of the service record from the dealership. Seems too unbelievable. Perhaps having an image of the document scanned would blow everybody's mind like it did mine when I saw it. I imagine the quote is to replace more than the circuit board and includes the stereo, since the dealership claims that the problem will resurface if the car stereo is not replaced.
  • I can totally understand about your CD changer, mine went out about a couple of months ago. I have the same exact symptoms. I didn't go through the troubleshooting you have done, I just made do without it (although I greatly miss having my 6 CD changer). I managed with my iPod Nano and the casette deck. I never thought I would ever use the casette deck but it is certainly nice to have for the iPod. NOW, everything is out, the whole audio stereo/climate control center. I am so aggravated at Infiniti and Bose. I always enjoyed having a Bose system. Even my 1997 Acura CL has a Bose stereo and it still works till this day. However, I have a luxury car that everyone seems to have the same problem with. Now my issue is more of a safety issue because I will never be able to use my defrost, when it rains and my windows fogs up. It looks like Infiniti skirts around a serious design flaw. I bet if enough of us banded together and made enough noise and were able to prove this is a safety issue with not having controls for the climate control, the voluntary service campaign would become more of a urgency for them to repair, like the fuel hose campaign they have on the 2003. Anyways, I can totally understand.
    I bought a 2003 G35 in 2004. In 2007 with 58,800 miles on the car the radio/air conditioner problem happened. The dealer replaced the radio unit which fixed the issue at no charge as a known defect. I had the 60,000 mile service done at the same time. About a year and a half later it started to happen again but before it completely broke I lost the car to flooding. I purchased a 2007 G35. The dealer told me it would cost $300 to replace the car radio again.
  • Ira, the fact that the problem happened again certainly seems to point to the Car Radio being the source of the problem as I have been reading. For whatever reason, it causes excessive current drain on the circuit board which causes it to run hot and eventually malfunction over a period of time. This is definitely a poor design manufacturer's defect on part of Infiniti. I can understand these problems because I have an electrical engineering degree and something like this should have never left design and been released into production. I am glad that they replaced your circuit board at no charge and at least resolved the problem for a year and a half later. I dont seem to be getting even that far with them. I am claiming this as a safety issue. Even this morning I could not operate my defrost. Do you mind me asking what dealer you worked with?

thanks..
    This was at West Houston Infiniti in Houston, Texas. Excellent service and customer relations. My 2007 G35 is the third car I have bought from them. I believe 2003 was the first year the car came out so I would expect some little nagging problem.
  • WOW! This is VERY discouraging news to read, I purchased a 2004 G35 and my 6 Disk CD player JUST stopped reading disks!! Now with all of the posts I am reading suggests that this is the tip of the iceberg. I thought I was making the best choice by not buying the Lexus, because of repair costs, hopefully, I didn't slip from the frying pan into the fire...will keep you all posted. :cry:
  • OK, now you can ignore all my previous posts -- here's the final scoop. I was measuring just under 1/2 amp draw at the 15A radio fuse next to the battery (fuse pulled, ignition off). I left the fuse out for two weeks and the car started every time. Convinced that the radio was causing the problem, I contacted the shop that repaired my CD changer (and supposedly the circuit board) back in August. They told me 1/2 amp draw was normal. At this time I became aware of another shop, Factory Car Stereo Repair, Inc. in Longwood, Florida (www.carstereohelp.com). I talked to two different guys there, and both told me the draw should be nearly zero at that fuse, ignition off. So I made arrangements to drive to them (two hours). First they metered the draw and got the same measurement as I did. Then they took the dash apart and pulled the radio (no easy task). They repaired the circuit board, and bench tested it, to confirm "no draw." While the dash was apart, they offered to replace the two small light bulbs in my dash clock, as they often die -- one of mine was bad. Then they re-installed the radio and dash. Everything worked with one crucial difference. Back at the 15A fuse (fuse pulled, ignition off), the draw was ZERO instead of 1/2 amp. Further, the car has started fine for the last week, even on the cold mornings we've had here in North Florida the last few days. Can you guess that I'm thrilled? I cannot overstate how pleased I was with the service, problem-solving methodology and expertise demonstrated by the three guys who helped me out at Factory Car Stereo Repair, Inc. All told, it took them about 2 1/2 hours to do the work. You can imagine how gratifying this was after taking a day off from work and driving two hours. But this problem had truly been drving me crazy. Their repair fee was incredibly reasonable too. They told me that they have fixed MANY of these 2003 G35 radios, and are seeing more and more of them. Good luck everybody and thanks for the many clues and information that helped me reach my solution.
  • Hi

Has anyone with this problem had their car fixed anywhere in MA or RI?

Thanks
  • Kdooley, I figured out that when I don't play my radio the problem don't occur. I haven't played my radio since August and the problem stopped. I know the problem still needs to get fixed and to make matters worst my cd changer is jammed and I cannot load or unload cd's. They told me at the dealer that I can trade my radio in for a new one and it will cost me $500 including labor. They said my radio is causing the vircuit board problem. I'm going to change the radio and then change my car.
  • I have read all of these messages and I would love to hear from someone who has had a resolution to the climate control/audio problem. I live in Atlanta and the dealer I have used for service is Infinity of Gwinnett. I bought this car 3 years ago from them.I have really enjoyed owning this car so far - not one speck of trouble.

I called Infinity of Gwinnett and explained my problem and was told that in 95 percent of these cases replacing the stereo fixes the problem. If that does not do it the the dash module needs replacing also. But they said start with the stereo.
    Their quotes were $800 to replace the Bose and 1300.00 for the module!

I can't see how fixing the sound system will restore the other dash functions??
    I am not sure where to start? I have been laid off - so I have not been having to drive very much- but what if I need to defrost/defog my windshield? The ac is set at 67 degrees on auto and not on full blast like some I read about.

Please reply with some success stories!
    We ended up having the ignition switch replaced about two week ago at a cost of $170 at KAM's in Acworth. We haven't had a problem since, but the problem was intermittent, so time will tell. Our problem was that the dash lights, ac control panel and stereo would go black and not work. We could giggle the ignition and it would come back. The repair shop said they have replaced several ignition switches in the Infinity G35 and thought that would take care of the problem. Now we have a different problem. The brake and slip lights stay on. We haven't investigated that problem yet -- just started yesterday.
  • The best way to solve this problem is putting an after market radio, kit cost about $160 plus the radio, cabling and installation. I bought a Infinity G35 2003 the dealer put about two factory radios on it and they will work for a day and break AGAIN the dealer where i bought the car did the same thing to all their Infinities G35s problem solved!!!!!!! it cost the dealer $305 the bough a cheap radio which ill change later. ;)
  • Do you know where to purchase the kit? I too have the same problem - some days the lights are on and i can control the air,radio, and heat and some days there is nothing lit up.
    To: lovetocook
    I had the same problem with my 2003 G35 and it was the ignition switch at a cost of about $170. Have you tried giggling the key in the switch to see if the lights, etc. come back on?
  • Can anyone tell me why my lights are out on my stearing wheel. All the other dashboard light work fine. I looked in the fuse box and could not find any blown fuses. I hate to bring in in to the dealership to get ripped off. HELP ANYONE!
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    The disc problem on the G35s is quite common. Many or all will eventually fail. I purchased my 04 G35 Coupe new and after reading all the problems with the CD changer, power window motors and window actuators, decided to take out an extended factory 4yr warranty. I have not replaced my CD changer yet, but I'm ready when it decides to die.