Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Sun Roof Complaints

Comments

• Well I have to say this really bugs me that this guy had a problem with his Santa Fe and never shared what the outcome was. I promise when my situation is done I will let everyone know. As it looks now I to will be going through arbitration.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    Maybe there was a settlement outside of arbitration (like 5 minutes before) and a gag order was part of the deal.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I greatly apologize for my lack of response regarding my arbitration ... i have had some personal issues going on and have not had the opportunity to log back on to this forum until now...all, please accept my apology as I don;t want to frustrate anyone as I have been frustrated with this whole ordeal.

Okay, here is the status ... the arbitrator has made a decision but I have not declined or accepted it yet as I am seeking counsel from lawyer I have two weeks yet to get back to the BBB on my acceptance/decline. The decision by the arbitrator was that there is definitely a leak, but according to WI state lemon law that leaking moonroof does not provide unsafe driving conditions or a depreciation in value. She is giving Hyundai one more chance to fix the problem and I haev 30 days to test drive after the fix to see if it worked. I haev not received clarification from BBB of what would happen if it still does leak after the 30 days. What I am most upset about is that the leaking sunroof does affect the value of my car. I noticed it leaking at 6k miles, why should I have to pay full price for a vehicle with documented defects. I felt the arbitration went well as I was much more prepared then the representative from the manufacturer, but I didn't seem to raise enough evidence regarding the depreciated value of my vehicle or the risk of mold eventually. The arbitrator claims that even though it leaks, most of eth time it does drain away thru the tray as it was designed - BUT IT STILL LEAKS and LEAKS INTO MY CAR ON THE SEAT AND CONSOLE!

I should know a more definite course of action within two weeks so I promise to post any advise I receive from the lawyer or the WI Consumer Protection agency.Again, I apologize for the delay and thank everyone again that has shared their similar situation. Please continue to share as this is obviously not a an isolated incident and we all deserve to get this taken care of.
  • Hmm did you find out anything yet??? Please let us know.
  • I am going to look at a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with sun roof today. I ran a car fax and it tells me that Hyundai was reacquired by the manufature. The reson was Water leak in the roof area. THis happened in Cedar Park TX on 6/26/2007. It's a white Santa Fe. If this was anyones car please email me at frank@grafconsulting.com. I would like to know how bad the leak was and if they ever fixed it.
  • Can you explane a little more as to what happened with Hyundai on this SUV? Did they lose a lawsuit because of the leaking sunroof??? I just bought a 2007 Santa Fe in Nov 07, I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone until the leaking sunroof is fixed!! As you may be able to tell I have one of those leaking sunroofs.

I sure would like to know what happened with the guy that was taking on Hyundai....he's lost...if you find yourself please post what happened :o) thanks
  • sorry that would be explain not explane ;o)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    Just a FYI but after posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Called Hyundai said notihing they could do until service dept at dealership found a problem with my sunroof . Recently went to Hyundai dealership during heavy rain. They had 2008 model and the sunroof was leaking into the tray on it also but not into the car. They still tell me this is normal, nothing they can do until it actually leaks pass the tray into the car. Im just waiting to see if anyone else gets answers on their leaking sunroof before I proceed any further.
  • Just an update as it has been so long and I am sorry for that but have had nothing new to share. I am still fighting Hyundai ... ps. I am a young women so they think I don't know what I am talking about, I'm extremely organized and have not faltered in my demands but it is frustrating as they think I'll just give up.... I have ended up continuing with the BBB to allow Hyundai one more opportunity to fix my vehicle then I have a 30 trail period to decide if it is corrected. I am extremely doubtful they will fix it since they have had 5 other opportunities to do so. I am waiting for Hyundai to contact me regarding when to take my vehicle in to them again. I promise to share more as I learn more but this process is taking forever and I keep putting more and more miles on my vehicle.
  • rjr2565rjr2565 Posts: 27
    Is this leakage problem limited to the 07 or is the 08 also included. I'm looking at an 08 and was thinking of getting it with the premium package which includes the sun roof. I wanted this package because it has the power lumbar. Did'nt really care about the sun roof, but you can not get one with out the other.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Posts: 88
    Go for it. I didn't care about having a sun roof either, but now that I have it I love it. While some have reported problems, I have an 07, and have never had any problem with leaking. I was even in a torrential downpour yesterday.
  • I to have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, and have not had a problem yet. I had the truck out all day in the Down Pours we had here in NY this past weekend, and I kept checking the sun roof for leaks. Dry as a bone! I hope those that have had a problem can get it fixed.
  • bannodbannod Posts: 24
    I got my '08 right after Christmas and my sunroof doesn't leak. I live on the WA coast, so it's gone through quite a few hard rain (and wind) storms already.

One thing I really like about a sunroof - it doesn't mess up your hair like having a window down.
  • mylibbymylibby Posts: 4
    If I were you I would take a test drive through the carwash...that is when we noticed our Santa Fe 07 leaked. It shot water at us like a squirt gun. Then we noticed it dripping in along the back edge of the sunroof. We have had it in the dealership at least five times and they can't fix it! Apparently it is not happening to all of them but I would beware!
  • We went through the same learning curve with our 2007 Santa Fe. The sunroof is designed so that any water coming in around the seal (apparently, it is not designed to be water tight) drips into a collection tray and drains down a tube in the side pillars. It's a "feature." The water you see is normal. Now, if you get water on the headliner, or experience water sloshing out of the tray during sudden stops, the drain tubes may be clogged and need servicing.

This is the oddest design, but that's what was intended.
  • Every car with a sunroof I've ever had (a grand total of three) has had this "feature". If you start getting overflow leaks, chances are the drain tube has gotten clogged, but it's easy enough to unclog with a stiff piece of wire. There's usually one on either side.
    Who has convinced you that this is a design "feature".....I really think it is a design "flaw" that happened after they changed the model in 07. I know at least 2 other people that have a Santa Fe 07 and they do not have a leaking sunroof, not even a drop. However, they do not have the Limited version, maybe that's the difference. When I get in my car after a big rain, I have a lot of moisture on the inside windows. Who knows if all the water is draining out all the way. These are perfect conditions for mold or mildew to start building up. I have owned Hondas, Mazdas and Toyotas and never have I had a leaking sunroof. If they had told me that the sunroofs on the Santa Fe's were designed to leak I would have walked right off the lot. It's unfortunate because I really do like the car but the problem with my sunroof and Hyundai's lack of response has really soured my opinion! :mad:
  • glmorganglmorgan Posts: 3
    Hi there,

My wife and I bought a new 2007 Santa Fe this January 08 and it too leaks. The SUV was in the dealership for repair for over 30 days and the regional rep states that the car is "as design". We have already filed the lemon law paperwork with DMV here in california. The service manager at the Roseville Hyundai is so helpful and has even video taped the leaks. Just so you all know, the leak will fill up a pepsi can in about four hours. I do not know of any manufacture that designs their new cars to LEAK. We are also going to contact "ABC on Your Side" and let the media and public know that Hyundai has designed a faulty vehicle.

BTW, what color is your Santa Fe? There were 3 white 2007 Santa Fe's brought into the dealership for repair of the LEAKING SUNROOF!.

Let's all unite and take this to the next level.
    :shades:
    You said the magic word "WHITE SANTA FE". My 2007 limited Santa Fe is also white. The 2 other Santa Fe brought into my dealership for repair of leaky sunroof were "WHITE"!

My wife and I are prepared to take this to the media. If anyone would like to join in, please let me know and I will provide you a method to contact me.

I have already file the Lemon Law paper work here in California
  • np01np01 Posts: 17
    I have had an '07 (silver) for over a year and the sunroof does not leak. Since it's a problem that should just not be explained away by Hyundai, I offer my sympathies - but I just wonder whether the problem is actually a flaw in assembly. Perhaps there is a design weakness that affects whether or not the sunroof is right when it comes off of the line. Otherwise how would you explain so many sunroofs that don't leak? I understand that this is little consolation to those of you with cars that leak, but it might be an explanation that would hold Hyundai accountable; rather than let them claim that the units that leak are performing "as designed".
    Can you please tell me the name of the Hyundai representative. My wife talked to the regional rep in Southern California and she stated that the car is "As Designed" and didn't say anything about whether the sunroofs should or shouldn't leak.

They are playing with words, i.e. "As Designed" meaing that water is channel back out of the car. The questions still is, WHY DOES IT LEAK? Please send me, if you will, that name to "lenettemorgan@comcast.net"

Thank you all for this info.
  • strawberry1strawberry1 Posts: 10
    I'm back and apologize for not keeping everyone updating on my situation here in WI. As you know I went through arbitration with the BBB, they lost my paperwork reply and I am going no where in my resolution of this situation other than racking up the miles on my Santa Fe.

My 07 Santa Fe is also WHITE and a LIMITED.... maybe there is something there as the loaners I had during the 5 repairs thus far were '07's, but not limited models and they stayed dry as a bone! Since I am not receiving resolution thru Hyundai or the BBB I would be very interested in joining forces with someone. I love my car but, the moisture that builds up inside and the drops that leak onto my arm rest (the drains are not plugged) are so discouraging and I don't feel it is fair that I paid full price for a vehicle that is flawed. I was going to file lemon law paperwork in WI, but the BBB arbitrator said it wouldn't fall under lemon law as it doesn't impair the safety of my vehicle???? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed:)
    Exactly...why does it leak?? I think everyone who owns a Santa Fe with a leaking sunroof should pursue their issue through the Better Business Bureau. We did this and ended up going to arbitration and won! Hyundai Corporation had to buy back my 2007 Santa Fe. It was quite a long process but it was worth all the time and effort. We opened up a case with the BBB in late March 2008 and last week Hyundai repurchased the vehicle under our Illinois Lemon Law. The whole process took about 3 1/2 months. Maybe if enough people pursue this problem, Hyundai will finally have to take responsibility and address this issue, possibly forcing a recall.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    The Sun Roof leaks can only be 1 of 3 things...

1. The tolerances around the roof opening, glass, frame or seals is too large, which allows water to by-pass at higher pressure (car wash, rain storm or higher speeds)i.e the higher water pressure force overcomes the seal pressure because the gap is too big, the opening is too deformed, or the glass doesn't seat into the opening as designed. It's called a rubber SEAL for a reason.

2. A badly fitted "collection" tray which is not laying flat or is deformed in a certain area and not laying flat enough. Too much water could build up on one side and overflow the drainage area before it can be drained away. i.e. the collection rate of drained water is too high versus the drain rate causing overflow. You need to know what the designed collection rate/ drain volume was meant to be as that determines the whole design.

3. The drain design is flawed and sometimes defective - this means a badly designed drainage hole (too small, too much paint build up), drain tube (too small, too kinked if it's a plastic fitted tube, blocked with paint, manufacturing debris or dirt)

The very fact that this sun-roof design does leak so often is an obvious design /manufacturing process flaw.

It's like the Hyundai Engineers saying :"... recession? What recession?. The economy is acting as designed. There is no Oil crisis, Banking crisis, Environmental crisis, Dollar crisis, Health Care crisis, Social Security crisis.... and the Levees during Hurricane Katrina acted as designed"
  • knowakknowak Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Sante Fe SE with the premium package. Heavy rains this week in Boston and noticed a leak at the back of the sunroof. It appears the the seam in the rubber gasket that runs around the entire glass panel has seperated [or was never sealed correctly]. and there is about a 1/8" gap for water to enter. Heavy amounts of water are flowing in, but most of it has been making it to the drains. I've gotten splashed a few times when stopping quickly and the like. Took it to the dealer and made an appt for Monday. They;ve said they'll have to pull the entire thing apart, do a water test, and check the drains, the whole 9 yards. Seems to me to be a gasket problem as when you look back you can actually see sunlight streaming in [along with the water]. I assume it to be a simple repair of the rubber edging? Anyone else have a similar issue with regards to the origin of the leak?
  • jimsistjimsist Posts: 62
    have a 2007 santa fe gls with the sunroof had it for about 1 and1/2 years no leaks at all oh yea mine is white. its hade here in the usa. maybe the ones that are leaking are the early models that were made over seas. the 2008 i did not like ceause of the inter color change and the chape look of the gls. they did away with the crome tile pipes, the windshield deicer,crome round the grill and color match interar seating.ive had no probleams ex cept with the lights inside on which they fixed right away and the radio.love it check out the service side of hyundai.
  • I d like to tell you that there is hope for your sunroof problem. Typically sunroof leaks are caused by one of two things. A clogged drain tube or a sunroof glass panel that isn't adjusted properly. There are four drain tubes that drain the water that enters from the edges of the glass panel. Factory sunroofs allow water to enter but if there is a blockage in your drain tube then that tube(s) need to be cleaned out. While its raining you would be able to feel the water coming in if you put your hands in the right place from the inside of the vehicle. That is by design dont worry. However, if your headliner is getting wet or your floorboard is soaked your problem is probably one of the two listed above. I have been servicing convertibles and sunroofs for 14 years and Id like you feel confident about having a sunroof. Even if I didn't install it. Let me know if you have some specific questions I can answer for you.
  • lisa89lisa89 Posts: 1
    I was thinking about buying a 2010 Santa Fe with a sunroof but now with all of the problems I read about I'm not so sure. Sounds like most of the problems have been with 2007/2008. Does anyone have any experience with bad 2010 sunroofs?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    I have an 08 SF Ltd AWD and have not had one problem with my sunroof. Other than not having good enough weather to open it up, that is! ;)