Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Sun Roof Complaints

Comments

• Hello Stawberry1.

I hope that I am not too late in replying. I have not had a problem with the sun roof leaking into the car, but after the comment from your dealer that "Sun Roofs" are designed to leak and after my wife noticed moisture in the sunroof tray of Santa Fe I requested more information from our dealer.

The technician at the dealer told me that Sun Roofs, while not water tight, are designed to channel water away from the tray. The channels are located on the corners of the sun roof and if obstructed, water will overflow into the inside of the car. This usually occurs with old sun roofs as dirt tends to accumulate over time and owners don't usually go out of their way to clear the channels.

Given that you Santa Fe is new, the sun roof in your car clearly has a manufacturing defect that is not allowing for water to diverted out of the tray.
  • Thanks so much for your reply! I did have my hearing and the representative for Hyundai did clarify that sun roofs are not designed to leak, but like you said, are designed to channel water away via the tray system. That is great, but I pointed out to him (and he did not have an answer) that while my sunroof does channel/divert the water back out of my car the way it is designed to, how does the water get in in the first place? Overall, thanks to the help of those on this posting site I think it went well and I may finally get the assistance from Hyundai I have been looking for, but unfortunately it will only be because they are bound to the arbitrators decision and not because they have great customer service. My dealership has been really responsive, but Hyundai definitely dropped the ball. Thanks again for sharing that info and thanks to everyone else too! I'll definitely post once I find out the outcome of my hearing. :)
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    Actually most aftermarket sunroofs have lifetime warrantys. I have had 3 installed in the past 15 years with zero problems. My current 07 SF SE has a factory sunroof and no problems thus far. Only difference I see is the factory sunroofs tend to take up more headroom than the aftermarket ones. Good luck.

{There is no way an aftermarket sunroof would have a better warranty and be better quality than the factory installed one. There will always be lemons out there, but factory installed sunroofs would have far lower incidents of leaking than aftermarket ones. Being an F&I manager, the dealership probably makes more money off the aftermarket one than the factory installed sunroof, and that was the basis of his recommendation. }
  • I hate to say it but I just bought a 2007 Santa Fe the end of November. It is the limited and my sunroof is leaking too. I took it in they kept it for a week and gave me a loaner (one just like mine) the roof was dry as a bone. I went back picked it up and headed for the car wash...it still leaked. I took it back and the service tech tried telling me that a little water on the inside was normal. I then asked him to take me to anyother Santa Fe on the lot and we'd check it because the loaner they gave me had no water on the inside. The Santa Fe he took me to had no water (guess I was lucky it was raining hard at the time). They have my SUV now this loaner is again the same make and model as mine however this one is also very wet and leaking. I live in the Atlanta area and we have been having some pretty good rain. Please let me know how things turn out for you. There is no way this can be normal!
    I have to say I love my Santa Fe as well I traded my 2004 Santa Fe. I also have to say to this point my dealership is doing what they can. I will also say this if they don't stop the leak....the SUV is theirs to keep!
    Good Luck!
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    everyone should be calling hyundai on this... seems they don't have a solution at the dealerships... maybe exercise lemon law procedures - there are too many cases...
  • Have you found anything out with your arbitration yet?
  • I am suppose to get the arbitrators decision by tomorrow ...with the holidays it was delayed.I'll post what happened as soon as I receive all the details... fingers crossed :)
  • brad23brad23 Posts: 2
    Hi! I have been having the same issues with my sunroof on my 2007 Santa Fe. I have actually talked to 3 different service managers at 3 different dealerships and they tell me it is normal for it to leak into the drainage tray. I dont believe that and am considering going thru the arbitration process. Please let me know how yours turns out.
    Could you tell me if yours actually leaks into the car or just into the tray?
    Thanks...
  • Have you heard anything on your arbitration hearing yet???
  • PLEASE TELL US...have you heard anything on your arbutation???
  • Well I have to say this really bugs me that this guy had a problem with his Santa Fe and never shared what the outcome was. I promise when my situation is done I will let everyone know. As it looks now I to will be going through arbitration.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Maybe there was a settlement outside of arbitration (like 5 minutes before) and a gag order was part of the deal.
  • I greatly apologize for my lack of response regarding my arbitration ... i have had some personal issues going on and have not had the opportunity to log back on to this forum until now...all, please accept my apology as I don;t want to frustrate anyone as I have been frustrated with this whole ordeal.

Okay, here is the status ... the arbitrator has made a decision but I have not declined or accepted it yet as I am seeking counsel from lawyer I have two weeks yet to get back to the BBB on my acceptance/decline. The decision by the arbitrator was that there is definitely a leak, but according to WI state lemon law that leaking moonroof does not provide unsafe driving conditions or a depreciation in value. She is giving Hyundai one more chance to fix the problem and I haev 30 days to test drive after the fix to see if it worked. I haev not received clarification from BBB of what would happen if it still does leak after the 30 days. What I am most upset about is that the leaking sunroof does affect the value of my car. I noticed it leaking at 6k miles, why should I have to pay full price for a vehicle with documented defects. I felt the arbitration went well as I was much more prepared then the representative from the manufacturer, but I didn't seem to raise enough evidence regarding the depreciated value of my vehicle or the risk of mold eventually. The arbitrator claims that even though it leaks, most of eth time it does drain away thru the tray as it was designed - BUT IT STILL LEAKS and LEAKS INTO MY CAR ON THE SEAT AND CONSOLE!

I should know a more definite course of action within two weeks so I promise to post any advise I receive from the lawyer or the WI Consumer Protection agency.Again, I apologize for the delay and thank everyone again that has shared their similar situation. Please continue to share as this is obviously not a an isolated incident and we all deserve to get this taken care of.
  • Hmm did you find out anything yet??? Please let us know.
  • I am going to look at a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with sun roof today. I ran a car fax and it tells me that Hyundai was reacquired by the manufature. The reson was Water leak in the roof area. THis happened in Cedar Park TX on 6/26/2007. It's a white Santa Fe. If this was anyones car please email me at frank@grafconsulting.com. I would like to know how bad the leak was and if they ever fixed it.
  • Can you explane a little more as to what happened with Hyundai on this SUV? Did they lose a lawsuit because of the leaking sunroof??? I just bought a 2007 Santa Fe in Nov 07, I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone until the leaking sunroof is fixed!! As you may be able to tell I have one of those leaking sunroofs.

I sure would like to know what happened with the guy that was taking on Hyundai....he's lost...if you find yourself please post what happened :o) thanks
  • sorry that would be explain not explane ;o)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Just a FYI but after posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.
  • Called Hyundai said notihing they could do until service dept at dealership found a problem with my sunroof . Recently went to Hyundai dealership during heavy rain. They had 2008 model and the sunroof was leaking into the tray on it also but not into the car. They still tell me this is normal, nothing they can do until it actually leaks pass the tray into the car. Im just waiting to see if anyone else gets answers on their leaking sunroof before I proceed any further.
  • Just an update as it has been so long and I am sorry for that but have had nothing new to share. I am still fighting Hyundai ... ps. I am a young women so they think I don't know what I am talking about, I'm extremely organized and have not faltered in my demands but it is frustrating as they think I'll just give up.... I have ended up continuing with the BBB to allow Hyundai one more opportunity to fix my vehicle then I have a 30 trail period to decide if it is corrected. I am extremely doubtful they will fix it since they have had 5 other opportunities to do so. I am waiting for Hyundai to contact me regarding when to take my vehicle in to them again. I promise to share more as I learn more but this process is taking forever and I keep putting more and more miles on my vehicle.