Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder Transfer Case

charzycharzy Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Nissan
I am new to this, and not quite sure how to go about asking for help...but if anybody knows the selection order of the transfer case gear selector of the 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4W I would be so grateful if you could enlighten me!

Comments

• Options
    whee12whee12 Member Posts: 4
    Living in the northern midwest, my transfer case has ice in it or is frozen. I must let the Pathfinder warm fully before driving. Is there an oil or 50/50 oil for the transfer to keep it from freezing?
    1988 Nissan Pathfinder, V6, 4x4. The transfer case oil was changed 2 years ago.
  • Options
    rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    If it is an inside problem and you cannot shift the transfercase & not the linkage frozen...i'm assuming that it has a heavy type gear oil in it like 75 or 80w-90. If so, Try draining and filling it with 30w motor oil or even regular automatic transmission fluid. Many transfer cases including Borge Warner and New Process use ATF..its not unusual....it will lubricate just fine and won't get as thick in very cold weather. Or just leave it in 4wd drive when you park it if thats what you are trying to do early in the morning.
  • Options
    I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder that I am restoring. I have had one problem that I really would like to solve.

A. Mileage – 149,000

B. Engine – V-6 SE

I have replaced the Air Conditioner system, radiator, EGR system, engine wiring, exhaust system, all brake housings,

The Problem:

No matter the temperature, the engine acts as if it is 30 degrees below 0!

The temperature maybe 90 degrees and the engine races at 2000 to 2400 RPM until the engine is warm!

This only happens on the first startup of the day.

What is causing this problem?

Best regards,

wheel12
  • Options
    After much testing... I think that the gear selection for my pathfinder is:

2W - (all the up)
    4H - (second spot)
    N - (third spot)
    4L - (fourth spot)

Does that seem right to anyone else?
  • Options
    Is anyone else experiencing exhaust leaks off the manifold? When I went to investigate...the heads of the bolts that are supposed to be tightening everything down have sheared off! Has anyone else experienced this problem? (on the driver's side of the block only) And any suggestion how I can get them out of there to replace them? I'm a girl that doesn't have a clue obviously...
  • Options
    :P I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder that I am restoring. I have had one problem that I really would like to solve.

A. Mileage – 149,000

B. Engine – V-6 SE

I have replaced the Air Conditioner system, radiator, EGR system, engine wiring, exhaust system, all brake housings,

The Problem:

No matter the temperature, the engine acts as if it is 30 degrees below 0!

The temperature maybe 90 degrees and the engine races at 2000 to 2400 RPM until the engine is warm!

This only happens on the first startup of the day.

What is causing this problem?

Best regards,

wheel12
  • Options
    Yes, i believe that is correct. You may have instruction on the inside of you sun visor. In addition, you will have a light on the dash (Mine is Green) showing that you are in 4 wheel drive. The light shows the outline of 4 wheels.
  • Options
    bcardineaubcardineau Member Posts: 1
    if the heads of the bolts sheared off you're gonna need to get a reverse thread drill bit with reverse thread screws. You just bore a hole and screw the reverse thread screw into the sheared off bolt and it should come out.
This discussion has been closed.