Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Paint

gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
Would sure like to get more responses on how the paint is holding out so far. I know it's kinda early for this topic, so not many people can respond. Any chips causing clear coat to peal on bumpers or anything like that discolor mismatched paint?

Past gens of the santa fe in consumer reports were mixed. But in 2004 had half black for paint and trim. That wasn't too far ago.

Comments

• Mine is holding up fine and looking great. It's a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD in dark cherry, and it now has a little over 9,000 miles on it. No chips, peeling, etc., that I've noticed.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    mine is good - but i don't use car washes - i hand wash...
  • i360i360 Posts: 74
    Fine here as well, although its nearing time for another wax job.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    i didn't want to use a car wash until around december but - somebody hit a deer and i ran over some of the remains... STINKS! might have to go early...
  • crowartcrowart Posts: 25
    I'm thinking of getting 3M ClearBra to protect the body paint. I don't really care if the other parts get dented and scratched, like the grill and the headlights.
  • fred63fred63 Posts: 23
    I bought the clear bra off of e-bay and had it put on by a professional. The bra did not fit right so I sent the hood portion back for a refund. I left the bumper portion on for the protection but it does not fit right. When I bought my Santa Fe the service manager said Hyundai uses the same paint as Lexus. The paint is perfect and seems very durable. Fred.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    They may use the same paint, but the clearcoat or the prep work could be different. Also the amount of time they wait
    to let the paint dry effects the outcome.

With my old Hyundia 1987 the paint on the metal parts were fine. It was the plastic parts that had issues. Much like pontiacs had with their paint on bumpers that pealed right off.

One reason I always liked the saturn brand those polyester doors rocked. Never seen one look bad. 20 years later looks brand new. Now GM dropped the polyester doors for cheaper metal doors.
    That's right about Saturns. I had an SL that drove 10 years in New England weather, abused by salt and never waxed. One quick wash made it look perfectly new.

Then Saturn took a dive with the Ion.

They almost recovered with the new Aura, but now they're messing that up as well (example- fake leather stitching, much like early 1980s vinyl! The show-car used real, but not the production version).
  • Just bought a brand new black Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 about 1 month ago. After washing it 1 week into ownership-I saw deep scratches and little dents in hood as well as deep swirls in the paint that had obviously been hidden by a heavy wax job. Went to dealer (which just happened to change ownership during the short time since I bought the car) and they said they didnt have to help me since the old owner sold me the car. But I had spoken to a lawyer and I had a quote from repair shop that had been highly recommended-they said the hood would have to be repaired and repainted. They seemed very above board. Dealer GM did admit that damage was probably caused by pressure washer dragged across hood which may have picked up gravel from parking lot. Dealer happens to contract work with this shop so they reluctantly agreed to have work done. Picked up car a few days ago-was cloudy and lots of rain and dust before first bright sunny day yesterday. To my disgust, in the sun I noticed more swirls all over hood, a large scratch, and in my garage last night it was evident that the black paint on the hood does not match the black on the rest of the car. Hood looks terrible, hazy. Im so upset and frustrated. what can i do now? What recourse do I have. The dealership has been annoyed to deal with me thus far and Im sure another return visit to them will with complaints will not be pleasant.
    Letters, letters, letters. File complaints with Hyundai, state offices, and consumer groups. Make sure they are detailed, but not "emotional". (You have been wronged, certainly, but believe me - nobody truly cares.)

Also word-of-mouth. Tell people everywhere not to buy from that dealership.

Based on what you wrote, I think your problem will be fixed eventually at their expense. But it takes time and unpleasantness to do that.

Good luck.
    Yeah thats awful, dark colors are the worse. I have a charcoal gray camry right now and learned my leason. No more dark colors. They tend to get those defects a lot easier.

The good news is it probally cost almost nothing to get that hood repainted. Those cheap jerks!

I bought my car used with 13k and it looked great prior to the wax fading. I later found many many scratches that were hidden. As well as a lousey paint on my door. It looked like it had been repainted. Even though carfax said no accidents. I have a feeling it was in accident.

Saw someone test driving a brand new Lexus yesterday and it got hit by a truck took a lot of panel damage. I wonder what they do with that car now?
  • How do I go about filing complaints with Hyundai? Do you think I will really ever get valid responses?
    For customer service issues, please call Hyundai Motor America's Consumer Affairs toll-free hotline at 1-800-633-5151 during operating hours from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm MST (Mountain Standard Time) Monday through Friday, or email consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

Mail type-written letters if you feel "big guns" are needed:

ATTN: Consumer Affairs
    Hyundai Motor America
    P.O. Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/contactus/faq_general.aspx

One last bit of advice- don't demand anything more than fixing what's wrong with the car. If you start asking for compensation, it looks very much like extortion to everyone involved. I've seen this a couple of times, and you'll end up with nothing if it looks like a shake-down.
  • Good luck with Hyundai Motor Americas.. we had the same problem on a 2004 Santa Fe and they repeatedly insisted that our problem was with the dealer and refused to assist in any way.
  • It seems even the smallest rock peck on my bumper turns into a quarter sized bare spot after a few days of highway driving. I would think the proper paint would bond better than that. The service manager at my dealership says it is not a warranty issue. Any thoughts?
  • fred63fred63 Posts: 23
    What color and model do you have?
  • I find the 2008 model paint to be rather cheap or inferior. It seems any little mark on that great huge front plastic bumper becomes a large chip. I was hit by a small rock (I couldnt even tell untill I did a touchless car wash) when I got out for a look I had a huge 2-3 inch chunk of Steel Grey paint missing just below the passenger side headlight.
    And....be damed if I didnt get another comparable sized chip on the drivers side as well.
    It seems that front plastic bumber has to much flex and give to it, once it gets hit the paint fractures and then car washes and even the wind can rip the paint off...Sad, but true.
    Did you know under that nice shinny paint on the front bumper...its ugly black plastic
    Dont count on the paint pens to solve the problem.... the applicator is like useing a stick and just makes a nasty mess. I think I paid $15 for this silly paint pen. I think I would be better off with after market paint coverup, even if the color isnt perfect. Hyundai pens color arent a perfect color match either.
    well...sorry for the rant but I baby this thing and I was pissed to see that damage.
    2008 Limited Steel Grey currently at 23,000 kms
    My moms hyundai a small 4 door car gets lots of chips. In naples when she brings it to the dealership they have a guy that sits and conceals the paint chips. She said he does a good job. Not sure if hundais have a guy like that in other dealerships. Oh yeah dont waste any money on those dumb pens they are a waster. I dont understand why they sell those things they dont even have more then a few drops of paint in them and they dont work!
  • wtnlvrwtnlvr Posts: 10
    When I need to use a paint pen, I put the paint on a plastic lid and use an artists brush to apply it to the car. If not, you end up with a horrible blob. I try everything to avoid needing to use paint. My 2004 was not the best but it was in the dark blue. My new slate blue seems to be holding up so far, but it's early yet. I noticed 1 pin head size chip on my mirror. Hopefully, I can buff it out. My husbands 2006 Elantra has terrible paint. You just look at it and it scratches. His is red.
  • I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe in the white. The paint job on it is BRUTAL! All around the windshield there are tiny little pin holes and they are rusting. Anywhere a rock has hit the car, it is rusting! The paint is peeling off the roof rack and off the front bumper. Then on the back passenger door, up by the window, the paint bubbled and split and that part has rust, as well. Hyundai is willing to fix the door and the roof rack, that's it! We tried talking to a CSR and it was like talking to a drone. They weren't helpful and there was nobody in a higher position they would even let you speak with. I don't understand why they would fix the roof rack and not the bumper, since it is the same material and is doing the EXACT same thing. They are not willing to do anything on the rust, saying their warranty doesn't cover rust due to rock chips, but I find it hard to beleive that EVERY single rock that has hit my car has managed to bust through the paint and primer and cause rust. I think it is a faulty paint job. We have a 2003 Saturn that has rock chips and none of them are rusting. My mother-in-law has a 2001 Mazda MPV, once again, rock chips, but NO rust.

We are also having issues with the air conditioning system. It smells soooo bad. Has this soured laundry or vinegar smell. I've never had a car do that and they can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it. They've deodorized it, but the smell just comes back after like a month.

Anyone else having these issues with their Santa Fe?
  • I have a 2008 Santa Fe in silver and I am finding that the clear coat is already wearing off in various areas on the rear door and on the rear quarter panels.

In regards to the smell issue I also had a similar problem arise when the cabin air filter was replaced during an oil change. Within a half hour of the filter being changed an odor similar to dead fish appeared. After a day of putting up with the odor I pulled out the newly installed cabin air filter and found that the oil change company had put in the wrong sized filter. I went to my local dealership and purchased the factory filter and installed it myself. Once the correct sized filter was put in the smell disappeared as quickly as it had appeared and has not reappeared, and it has now been 4 months.

Also be aware of the price for the cabin filter. The oil change company charged me $85 for the filter, The dealership charged only $24. Sometimes the dealership is the cheaper option.
    Discount auto has a cabin filter for 11 bucks. When you say clearcoat wearing off is it like pealing? Since you have an 08 with a problem with the clear coat will the dealer do anything? By the way I had a 1989 Hyundai that had problems with clearcoat on the bumpers. It seems after 20 years they still do not know how to paint.
  • Peeling would not be the way I would put it but that it looks like someone had rubbed the paint with sand paper. From a distance you do not notice it but if you are near the rear door and the light hits it from the right angle it is definitely noticeable.
  • Have a Santa Fe with 60,000 miles on it and the black paint is pealing off the front grill. I have seen 70 year old cars with the original paint and I do not understand this pealing off. Dealer says pealing because of rocks etc. hitting the grill paint and that is why it is pealing. I strongly diagree that the paint should be able to handle small road debris like cars of old. In the last 70 years we should have perfected paints to handle this problem. Others on here talk about the plastic front end not being able to take small hits without chipping. I believe the manufacturer should stand behind the product they manufacturer. I had a mechanic from Hyundai in my car and asked him about his and he said he has a Santa Fe and his grill is also loosing (pealing) its black paint, they all do, he said. Accepting this is not acceptable to me!
  • soapy5soapy5 Posts: 1
    have a 2009 sante fe. the paint started to bubble and peel in the center at the windshield line. the paint that peeled off is the size of a softball and has tiny bubbles behind that. anyone else seen or know what is causing this? thanks.
  • nmarmaudnmarmaud Posts: 1
    My 2007 Hyundai, pearl white Santa Fe is peeling . I was washing it and when I pointed the hose to rinse it a 4 inch 2in wide strip of paint flew off above the windshield on the passenger side. I have always kept my car clean and waxed and I don't understand how this happen. The Hyundai dealer said this is not covered under warranty. This is just a lousy paint job, and I am very angry that they wont fix this. This was my second Hyundai, my first was a Sonata, but I guarantee my next car will be a Ford!!!
  • 2007ltdpwp2007ltdpwp Posts: 11
    I also have an 07 Limited with Pearl White...noticed pealing on hood and above windshield after last car wash...plan to ask dealer to repair...may have to go to Hyundai...if not repaired = no more Hyundai cars for me.
  • mrsnarkypantsmrsnarkypants Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    I have platinum grey paint on my 08 GLS, and it's flaking off on the front quarter panel/bumper area near the wheel. Dealer isn't interested in fixing it. Not sure what I should do about it. It's the only disappointment I have with this car.
  • I have a 2010 Black Sante Fe and the paint is peeling on the back bumper and on the passenger side panel and also in front. I have been declined for new paint as they said it looks like its been scratched? Not sure but I don't think a scratch, if it was in fact scratched, should cause peeling of the paint?
    I have a feeling the black ones are more prone to this, I have no doubt they are trying to wessel their way out of getting it fixed. The only suggestions I have are to find another Hyundai dealer, call corp Hyundai. I would threaten them with a boycott\picketing at the local dealerships if they dont fix the problem. Believe me a sign out in front of their business saying ask me about my paint issue on my 2010 would go far. I would bring at least one friend with me for confirmation and protection from them. I have a feeling this method would work, because in this economy no one wants to buy a new car.

If that does not work write the local newspaper with the problem, believe me they dont want the heat.

I had one of the original excels back in 1987 and the clearcoat on the bumper pealed off.

I have a 2007 santa fe, that has a pretty bad paint job, the car is fine besides the apparent lack of skills when it comes to paint and clearcoast even in todays models. I see scratches in my clear coat, and over shot paint in some locations. But at least my paint hasn't pealed etc. I will run the car till it drops, but have issues with buying another one.

I refuse to run my car through a car wash that uses the physical brushes to wash the car. The clear coat is easily scratched and those rotary brushes would cause a lot of damage. I know I am not alone with this issue. My mom has an accent and the front is pealing where stones hit it. Why yours would peal on the back bumper and side panel I dont know.

Let us know what happens I would be interested in knowing.