Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Paint

Comments

• gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Interesting, I have a side door that has this problem. I thought it was paint overspray or something. But now that I read this I am sure it is faulty clear coat. Why does this company have such a hard time with their paint??????

Why isn't this issue hitting the media? Is it because it is not a safety issue?
  • I to have a 2007 Santa Fe white and 2 large spots just peeled off my car right in the front center. I took it to the dealership and they said it was rock chips, but these were hugh. AFter looking at the car and the spots they told me it wasn't rock chips the paint was just peeling off.
    Then they oh you are 7000 miles over the limit and they could not help me and sujgested I call consumer support. I spoke to them and then they called me back 2 days later and said they could not help me. We have had cars 20 years and the paint never peeled it wore but never peeled off. I just can't believe they want all of these cars out there driving around with chunks of paint missing. I did call the Federal Trade Commision and file a compaint. I normally do not do this but for a 2007 paint job to peeling off when I take care of my car is unacceptable. What does it take for a recall?
  • Hi, everyone
    I don't know where you guys are from but I guess you're from the USA. I live in Canada (Quebec Province) and have similar problems w. my 2008 Kaki Santa Fe paint job. The paint is peeling off the passenger side's tip of the roof rack rails and had peeled and bubbled at the windshield line of the same side, as well as on the hood line. The dealer also says it's rock chipping, but I doubt it, even more after reading your post! As I read you all, it make me think there is really a paint issue with the Santa fe at least. Are you aware of any recall or any notification from Hyundai on your side of the border? I think we all should get passed the dealer and write to our respective Head Office to address the problem. The more complaints there will be, the better our chances to have them repaired. I will personnally try again w. the dealer on my next appointement. Keep you posted.
  • jneiljneil Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    My 2004 silver Santa Fe has peeling and faded paint all over where the sun hits it. Also the black door posts are rusting! I took it in to the Tustin CA dealer, who took pictures and sent them in. Of course Hyundai declined any repairs - not even the rust! One thing I DON'T want to worry about on a car as it gets older is the paint. We have a 2002 PT Cruiser which still looks brand new! I will never buy another Hyundai, despite their claims of success and ads all over the place. You would think they would bend over backwards to fix issues like this and keep their owners happy - no doubt they would be able to afford it! :mad:
  • WELL THERE IS ONE OPTION IS FILING A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT .....! This seems to be happening to all Hyundai paint jobs not just one color or vehicle made by Hyundai This is enough to file a class action Law Suit My advice to people having problems with paint jobs take many pictures of the affected area keep the paint chips that are falling off if possible if you get the car repainted have the paint and the vehicle tested at the body shop that is doing the paint they can narrow it down to what is causing the problem wether bad prep work cheap paint or whatever keep all receipts for the new paint job and any and all receipts for car maintained like car washes wax's receipts from car wash's most places go by plate numbers they can give you a print out on all washes or if you use a detailer have them write you a legalized letter motorized If you want to file a class action you need to get everyone on the same page I have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe limited black so far I have found 3 area's were paint looks to be scratched but now way it was I wash my truck every week and detail it every month the truck is only 9 months old and I am having paint problems already
  • I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN CLASS ACTION AS MY 2003 SANTA FE HAS NOW "MOLDED WHITE" PLACES ON THE ROOF AND SOME OF OTHER PARTS OF SUV. IT ALL HAS HAPPENED IN THE LAST SIX MONTH OR SO. UP UNTIL THIS HAPPENED MY CAR LOOKED NEW. I AM SO UNHAPPY. WHAT CAN WE DO. I TOOK CAR BY DEALERSHIP AND WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS A BAD PAINT JOB.
  • hyundai04hyundai04 Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 04 Santa Fe in June of 05 with zero kms. Also bought the platinum shield package because I keep vehicles for many years. It now has 125000 km but is missing paint off the roof/rear of the vehicle. The size of a large pizza! Took it to the dealership and asked about the paint protection plan but the claim was declined because it only covers rust. Both the paint and clear coat are completely gone exposing the metal. They said there is little to no chance that Hyundai will do anything either. I think this will be a long battle and not sure where to start. New to this forum do if there is a way to post pics let me know so you can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. Any advice on the situation would be appreciated.
    Vehicle was purchased in southern Ontario Canada.">
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,135
    From the Help files:

To add a photo to your Forum post, first click the “Img” button beneath the text box; this inserts the beginning of the standard HTML tag for an image. Next, add the URL of the photo, e.g. http://url-location/photo.jpg (Note: the photo needs to have been uploaded to a photo hosting service in order to have a URL.) Finally, click the “Img” button again to insert the end of the standard HTML tag for an image. When you post your message, the photo will be included.

Please avoid very large photos (dimensions or file size).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I bought2003 Black Santa Fe GLS new and it now has the same paint issues. I noticed the paint problems just inside the four year mark and battled with them for 2 years. Nothing was resolved. They said it was acid rain, cleaners improperly applied, glass cleaner that had ammonia in it, road salt (Va Beach, no snow!) everything but acknowledging the paint and clearcoat are defective. I, too, would join a class action lawsuit. My vehicle looks like it has gray patches surrounded by white and ashy looking paint on the hood, doors, roof and rear hatch. No flaking paint it just looks like its wearing off. The vehicle itself is in great shape, no complaints about engine, trans or interior. But A/C has a major history of 2 compressors replaced, evaporator replaced and a condensor replaced all in the last 4 years. Warranty covered it all, though.
  • WE NEED A LOT OF PEOPLE .....EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO DO THIS EMAIL ME I WILL GET A LAW FIRM NOTIFIED HOW MANY WANTS TO DO THIS ...

HYUNDAI MAKES MORE EXCUSES OVER THE PAINT THEY TOO TOLD ME IT WAS IMPROPER WASHING THE CAR AND ROAD SALT I'M HELLO [non-permissible content removed]'S I AM IN FLORIDA MIDDLE OF A CITY THAT HAS NO SALT ON THE ROADS TRUCK IS ( AT THE TIME 7 MONTHS OLD ) WASHING WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL; AUTO DETAILER WASH AND WAXED EVERY TIME EVERY 30 DAYS WAXED ONCE WEEK WASHED MOTHERS WAX AND ArmorAll WASH PRODUCTS YUP MUST BE THE PRODUCTS I HAVE USED ON THE TRUCK NOT THAT THEIR PAINT JOBS SUCK I ALREADY HAD 3 TOP QUAILTY BODY SHOPS LOOK AT THE TRUCK THEY SAID PAINT IS FLACKING PEELING DUE TO BAD PREP WORK OR BAKING THE PAINT TOO FAST
  • I would love to be apart of this....I have been having rust/paint issues with my 2002 Santa Fe for over a year now and it seems every Hyundai dealer I call and talk to think I'm crazy.
  • I would also participate in a class action lawsuit!! My car looks horrible and I am embarrassed to drive it around. Of course dealership won't do anything!!
  • I have a 2003 Santa Fe. Noticed the other day bubbling on the hood near the grill. Poked it and paint started to peel off. I probably could peel paint off the entire hood. I would like Hyundai to step up and cover this.
  • lelahklelahk Posts: 1
    I love my Santa Fe and have owned 4 Hyundai's. BUT the paint on my 2004 Santa Fe is in horrible shape! I had it garaged for most of the time I have owned it. I need a paint job bad but cannot afford one. I believe it was cheap paint and should be corrected. It is embarrassing to drive around in it and certainly doesn’t do much for the Hyundai name. I was told by a dealer that I ran into at a restaurant that Hyundai did have a problem with the paint and that they were correcting it. What about all of us that paid our hard earned cash for a new car only to have the paint and trim start going bad after a few years? I am in if anyone wants to start a class action suit. My daughter has our old 2001 Santa Fe and although her paint is starting to peel too it does not look nearly as bad as my 2004.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Well, don't believe they are correcting anything. My 1987 had issues with the paint. So in 25 years they haven't fixed it.

I wonder if Kia has the same issue?
  • I am in support- will be waiting to hear...
  • mb751mb751 Posts: 2
    I also have a 2004 Santa Fe with the same paint issues.
    Only have 46000 miles. Vehicle in great condition except paint.
    Is there any progress on the class action suit. I would be a prat of it.
  • mb751mb751 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2004 dark blue Hyuandi Santa Fe.
    Would like to be part of class action suit. Hyundai just sticking to their rote
    answer that it's no longer covered under warranty.
  • as I said previously you have to have everything documented that you went into Hyundai dealership let them know about the paint job paint peeling ect. mine started to peel 2 months after I bought the truck they told me I was washing it wrong I asked them put that in writing please they would not I have a professional car detailer come wash my truck once a week every 5 weeks he puts a coat of mothers wax on it Hyundai is so full of CRAP with their paint explanations it is not funny I have been too two high profile body shops in the area and they said the paint was 1 either prepped wrong or was backed on to fast and too hot both places said the same thing I went back to the dealership the manager just walked away I told him see you in court he just waved me off like a smart [non-permissible content removed] if I cannot get enough people with the same problems and they have not done everything they could with Hyundai and get written documentation from reputable body shops that the paint was prepped wrong or backed to fast or whatever they decide was the cause of the problem a class action will never work there is so many things that have to be perfect and everyone needs to have same complaints to file a class action I may end up suing Hyundai my self then bring it into a class action if the lawyer I have been talking to thinks it will be worth it I did not spend over $35000 on a truck to have the paint start peeling 2 months later I have had it spot painted to cover the bare metal but I will not have the panels sanded down and painted on a new truck all that is going to do is drop the value of my new truck bad enough soon as you drive it off the lot you loose about $6 to 10 grand
  • Please post if you have started the class action so others will know.
    Thank you-
  • Yes, please, do!
  • Paint started peeling about a year ago and is really bad now. As I look at other Hyundai autos in parking lots, I see others in same condition and will start taking pictures. My car is garaged every night since I bought it when it was a year old. I contacted Hyundai and was told the paint is only under warranty for 3 years. Class action suit seem appropriate.
  • At 59,000 miles, valve burned on 2005 Santa Fe. Car perfect just until out of warranty and fell apart. Hyndai said they are not responsible for the defect. I will never buy another and will tell everyone I know not to do it.
  • I will sign up! I have paint chipping and every other Hyundai I have seen like mine has similar issues!
  • lynmclynmc Posts: 1
    Count us in on the class action. Issue reported to dealership, denied as being "corrosion". I, too have seen other Santa Fe subs with the same problem. Has there been reports of a similar problem with other models? I also own a 2011 Vera Cruz & worried that it will look like the Santa Fe in few more months.
  • I too have a Sante Fe where the paint began to corrode about 4 yrs ago. Spoke to dealership too no avail. If there is a class action suit please add me to it
  • Same issue. My '04 Navy blue Sante Fe's paint is peeling/corroding. It looks awful now. I have seen many of the older model Sante Fe's like mine with the same color doing the exact same thing. I am in for a class action law suit. Please let me know. Thanks.
  • kdconodkdconod Posts: 46
    Note everyone keeps saying they are all for a class action suit, but nothing will happen unless someone throws down -- someone has to hire a lawyer and sue Hyundai. Just sayin'.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,135
    edited April 2013
    Then you have to cool your heels for about three years and hope for a settlement.

After all that you get a $500 coupon toward the purchase of a new Hyundai. The lawyers buy a new Mercedes. :-)

Better to find your own "lemon" lawyer and try to work something out yourself, but no one wants that hassle or stress.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kdconodkdconod Posts: 46
    True even if you start a lawsuit doesn't mean you'll get much out of it, though certainly the lawyers will!.