Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car transmission

1235»

Comments

• I have a 2004 Town Car and on the weekend with my young daughter driving it I felt the shudder and swore we were going over rumble strips. It did this about 4 times in the course of 20 miles and it seemed to happen when the car was going between 3rd and overdrive 4th gear. The local trans shop says no cure except to replace the 4th gear clutches and quoted $1,600 CDN. No service has been done to this transmission and I also wonder if a fluid change and filter might help. It hasn't happened since and I have driven over 100 miles.
  • Converter was not overyly expensive. If fluid change did not fix it, my bet in the TC. That change to OD is where you will feel it most. Mine was not every time, just under certain conditions that progressively became closer to every time.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    If you chose the fluid change, don't let them "Power Flush". When my AOD was power flushed, it blew the dipstick seal & that cost more to repair. We suggest you drop the pan, change the filter, & install new fluid. Drain the torque converter as well.
  • i am looking at buying a 1991 lincoln town car with 55,000 original miles.When i test drove the car it ran fine as long as i had the transmission in the D position, i put it in OD the transmission would not pull. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem,the car has not been driven much in the last few years
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hmmmmm.......I don't like the sound of that. 20 year old car, lots of rubber that could be dried out, especially if not driven much. May need more than a fluid change. Best suggestion would be to drive it as much as possible in the D range, and try OD every once in a while, see if it kind of comes out of it. IF not, the good news is, this transmission isn't a fortune to rebuild or replace, and it's a very good one too. You can always drive it in D if you want to as well, you'll just suffer some mileage doing so. Good luck! IF the car is in nice shape, and not expensive, I'd risk it.
    I understand that when you start the car, it will shift into Overdrive @ about 40 mph. Pressing the button on the side of the directional lever locks it out of O Drive, but after the engine is turned Off the transmission will again shift to O Drive.
  • i dont recall seeing any button on the directional lever,are you sure the 1991 lincoln towncars have one?
  • I had a 1990 Town Car and the over drive button was I believe on the end of the transmission shifter.
    If not there, where? :confuse:
  • So will this cause the engine to rev up but not allow the car to pull at all?
  • So would this allow the engine to rev up but not allow the car to pull at all?
    Before they went to the button on the end of the shift handle, the option was an actual shift position on the indicator on the dash. D321 options on the indicator and the D had an 0 inside it connoting Overdrive. 3 would take it out of OD and put it in regular Drive. With the button on these old 4 speed transmissions, you would see D21. D was overdrive, the button in would take it out of OD and put it in regular Drive, then 2 and 1.
    Understand & remember, but didn't the 1991 Town Car have the button on the end of the Directional Lever?
    Well, that's where I'm a bit fuzzy, because I thought it was 03 or 04 when they came out with that - just not sure.
1235»