Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Honda Introduce A Car Between Civic and Accord

hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
edited March 10 in Honda
Although the '08 Accord gets excellent reviews, some people have commented that the Accord has grown too large for their needs. The Civic may be a little too small for some of these people. Is there room to position a new line of cars, sized between the Civic and the Accord, kind of like the Accords of the late '80s-early '90s? Should the European Accord, which is sold as the Acura TSX in the U.S., be decontented for the U.S. market, and badged as a Honda?

I suggest this possibility because the market for Civic and ('08) Accord size cars is huge, and could probably support an entry in between compact and full size. Call it an intermediate. Detroit did this very successfully in the '60s, with such cars as the Malibu, Fairlane, Belvedere, and AMC's Rambler.

Comments

• daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    ".....kind of like the Accords of the late '80s-early '90s?

The current Civic IS larger and more massive than those earlier Accords! The Fit is only about 250lbm less than my '88 Accord!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    While what you say is true, comparisons with the past don't change the possibility that a there could be a significant market for an intermediate, in between the Civic and Accord. This would be especially true if the next generation Accord (2012?)continues past trends and grows a little more, and/or the next Civic is a smidgeon smaller. The hypothetical business case for an intermediate isn't based on a change in the dimensions of the Civic or Accord, however.
    Steve or Claire, please add a question mark to the title of this discussion, since it begins with "Should..." Thanks.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Accord won't grow any larger than this. Look at the Avalon, it has only grown incrementally in 15 years. That's because at the size it already is, it is beginning to move away from the high-volume part of the car sales spectrum. People don't buy cars much bigger than this.

Having said that, I think it would be awesome if they decontented the TSX and sold it for $18-22K. I would assume they would use the 4-cylinder powertrains from the new Accord, or at least the one from the LX. With less weight, it would hopefully do better than the new Accord for fuel economy.

If they did something like this, watch out Mazda and Subaru!

I have felt for some time that Honda is a little short on car models, even as diverse as the Civic and Accord lines are.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I think it would be awesome if they decontented the TSX and sold it for $18-22K.

Thats Civic territory. What makes you think a car like TSX can be offered for $18K-22K? Size isn't necessarily the something that makes a car expensive or cheap. Platform, and features do.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Nissan tried that w/ the original Altima.
    It was between the Sentra and Maxima.
    Of course, it has grown to be as big as the Maxima, its just cheaper.

I think an itermediate sedan is a bad idea.
    Who would drive it?
    If you have a family, a car like the new Accord is a good idea.
    If you don't than the smaller Civic is great.
    I don't think Honda needs 3 sedans.
    what you might do is make the Civic a tad larger,and have the Fit as your small entry car. Which the Civic originally was.
    Your remarks bring to mind something I was sorta thinking earlier, but didn't mention: what about another smaller model? Actually, I think Honda has one in the works, so they are way ahead of me there, but that would be good.

I think Accord has grown too large for lots of people now, and there is a big gap in size between Civic and Accord that a tweener model (decontented TSX, do it, yes! :-)) would fill just nicely. They wouldn't sell a million of them like the Accord, but they would sell enough to make a profit given it is shared with foreign markets.

robertsmx: OK, maybe $18K is too optimistic. How about $20K, $22K? Two trims only, like LX and EX of the Civic/Accord, no extra-fancy trims, just keep it simple. This is a car that was $25K as an Acura just 3 or 4 short years ago, and it still had all the standard frippery then, so I bet Honda could pull some stuff out and sell it for $22K without sweating. You KNOW they add a price premium just for that Acura badge. All the luxury carmakers do it.

To differentiate the "tweener" from the TSX, the Acura could have a turbo and offer SH-AWD, while the tweener remains FWD and naturally aspirated.
    There would be no point to it. While many are calling Accord a BIG car, it is largely in nomenclature, thanks to strictly following EPA’s definition. Among family sedans, spanning from Mazda6 (111 cu ft) to Ford Taurus (129 cu ft), Accord is right in the middle car (120 cu ft). It sneaks into full size class by merely 0.1 cu ft of additional space. On the outside, it is actually about an inch shorter than the old Acura Legend, but an inch wider. And I never heard anybody call the Legend a big car.

As volvomax pointed out, Accord is the right size for family sedan in America (and, I will add, as a premium sedan in most other continents). Need good room for four? Civic fits perfectly. Need something even smaller, Honda has Fit. The only thing Honda could do is something I said when the news about Si sedan came out. Honda should have left “Si” trim exclusive to the coupe, and offered 2.4-liter engine in Civic sedan with sport tuned chassis. That is really the only thing missing from Civic, a powerful engine mated to automatic transmission.

Better yet, I think Honda should use Acura CSX for that purpose. It won’t be a $18K-20K car (and doesn’t need to be), but for under $25K, it would offer a nice alternative as a larger compact to “almost” midsize. This would be for lifestyle buyers. I really don’t see a point to yet another in-between car. Three car (Fit, Civic and Accord), three SUV (Element, CR-V and Pilot) and two more like Stream and Odyssey along with a truck for the burbs (Ridgeline) are plenty, IMO.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    TSX doesn't have alot of content as it is.
    What are you gonna take out??
    I like your thinking! The next-gen TSX HAS to start using the turbo 2.3 from the RDX, or it will be totally outclassed and just fade away. You could sell the Honda TSX with the NA 4-cylinder engines the Europeans get. Or just plug in the base engine from the Accord LX. Which may wind up being the same thing, I dunno.

Robertsmx: I dunno, someone here at work has bought one of the new Accords, so I get the chance to eyeball it every day, and it's pretty big. The last one already drove big, and this one is heavier. I am just doing the math here...

I really must get over to drive one some day soon. Then I can give personal impressions.

TSX doesn't have alot of content as it is.
    What are you gonna take out??

The sunroof and leather are two major items that could be deleted from standard equipment content, but as I said earlier, part of the differentiation between the Honda and the TSX would come from equipping the TSX with the RDX's turbo engine, and offering SH-AWD as an option. The styling could also be differentiated.

By the way, I don't know if introducing a tweener is a sound business idea, but given that some people think the Accord has grown too large, I thought this possibility should be discussed.
    Like I said earlier, size is for namesake only. When was the last time you put 1992-1995 Acura Legend and BIG, 1995-1998 Acura TL and BIG, or 1999-2003 Acura TL and BIG in the same sentence? The new Accord is about the same size! It is about the same size as Lexus ES350. I've only heard how Acura RL is small (never BIG), another car with virtually identical dimensions to the new Accord.

The difference is in perception, because we keep reading it as a full size car, when just 0.1 cu ft would change that.

I did this comparison in another thread...
    1995 Legend (2008 Accord)
    Length: 194.9" (194.1")
    Width: 71.3" (72.7")
    Height: 55.1" (58.1")
    Wheelbase: 114.6" (110.1")
    Wheel: P215/55/R16 (P225/50/R17)
    Curb Weight: 3616 lb (3600 lb)
    Engine: 3.2 V6 (3.5 V6)
    Max Power: 230 HP (268 HP)
    Max Torque: 206 lb-ft (248 lb-ft)
    EPA fuel economy rating: 18/23 (22/32)*

* Based on old EPA ratings. New EPA ratings: 16/21 (19/29).
    what all these comparisons with old 90s cars are about, I just know what I've seen - the new Accord is real BIG!

Plus, there is no longer an Accord DX. I wonder if you could sell a stripped Euro-Accord (equipped similar to a Camry CE - no power seats or keyless entry, maybe a couple more deletions? - but with much better handling and a tweener size) to some folks for a sticker of $19,995...it would be somewhat bigger and sportier than a Civic EX but with less features for about the same money...sounds like a workable proposition to me...

The comparison is meant to provide a perspective, instead of a plain old argument using an opinion. What is big? Is Accord big? Was the Legend big? Is Avalon big? How about the leader... Taurus?

As for Accord DX, there wasn't a market for it. Over last ten years, I have known only one person who actually bought an Accord DX and that was the sales person who sold me the 1998 Accord. He traded his Maxima in and got Accord DX to reduce expense. And I don't remember seeing more than one DX on the road.

If Honda were to sell a car like that for $18K, why would anyone buy it over loaded Civic, or not be willing to pay a grand or two for much better equipped Accord?
    The Legend/Accord comparison is useful. Thanks. However, there's a saying, which you've probably heard, that "perception is reality." I interpret this to mean that, regardless of comparisons, if some people perceive the '08 Accord to be large, then to them it's large. What I believe nippononly is saying is that the '08 Accord is too large for his needs, but a tweener might appeal to him. The reason I started this discussion is that I feel the same way, and wanted to see how others felt.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy an '08 Accord, due to its size, but I'd prefer a trimmer size. You, on the other hand, seem to feel that the Accord is the right size for you. Hopefully others will weigh in, and we'll get a rough read on what the demand for a TSX Honda would be.
    perhaps because it's not very FUN any more to drive an Accord. Even the last gen was too big and too heavy to be fun, plus it had a suspension designed to be slightly sporting but mainly "comfortable family transportation". The TSX I am envisioning would be a Civic/Accord alternative with superlative handling.

• Wow!!! The Accord is a BIG car???? At 40, am I the old fart here? Cuz the Accord, although larger now than before, is not a large car. Is it really classified as large instead of mid-size? Maybe I still have memories of the big American boats that were actually large. I say this as having owned a 2004 Accord. And it could fit 5 adults relatively comfortably. Well, 2 men in front- 3 women in back. I do agree with the TSX proposals. That would fit between the Accord and Civic. But pricing it between them would be a problem.
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    I guess it depends on one's perspective (and I'm much older), but to me, the Accord is a very big car - far too large for me to consider. For that matter, so is the Civic since it is only available as a sedan/coupe and unable to haul any more than a few people and suitcases.

There are many cars available in the over 3000lbm category. What is missing is a selection of high quality vehicles in the <3k lbm range, particularly under 2500lbm. Where are cars like the '84-'86 Civic? I could carry a couple of bicycles INSIDE my '84 Civic but you can't do that with a new Civic OR Accord! The old Civic was less than 2000lbm!
    "Where are cars like the '84-'86 Civic? I could carry a couple of bicycles INSIDE my '84 Civic but you can't do that with a new Civic OR Accord!"

The Fit is Honda's spiritual successor to the '84-'86 Civic. It should be able to carry a couple of bicycles, in the same manner that your old Civic did. The Fit weighs considerably more than the '84-'86 Civic, due to safety features and more content, but, in my opinion, it's also better in most respects than the old Civic; it's safer, quieter, and quicker. Other choices include the Toyota Yaris, Scion xD, Nissan Versa, VW Rabbit, the Chevy Aveo, and others, all worthy competitors to the Fit. There's no scarcity of good, small car choices.
This discussion has been closed.