Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Bought our 07 Santa Fe (3.3 FWD Auto) couple of weeks ago, here in SASK., CAN. Quite happy with the purchase. Wanted to draw your attention to an issue, though. My 8 year old noticed a paint chip on top of the rear bumper, on the right side, where the bumper lip flushes with the metal sheet above at the corner of the tail light. Further inspection revealed the top bumper lip was not flush with the joint above. Took it to the dealer. The tech informed that the rear bumper was not "clamped" properly, therefore rubbing against the top metal part. The bumper was taken off, re painted & fitted again. A very helpful customer service guy informed that they have few other 07 SF's with the same problem, possibly due to robotic malfuntion at the assemly line? Needless to say, check you 07 SF's for this defect & post your finds one way or the other.

Cheers
  • hmmmm.....seems almost...Impossible..unless you are not talking about an 07. ..All the 07 Santa Fe's with the 3.3 engine come standard with 18" wheels. I can't imagine a dealer swithing those 18's out for 16's...I am not thrilled with the level of noise or the bumps I feel when on a bad road with my 07 Limited...but I attribute that to the tires used. I will change them out in a year or two. On smooth roads at both very slow and very fast speeds..the 07 SF LTD is as quiet and tight as both of the Mercedes I owned (E430 and ML 430) and the Lexus LS400 I owned. If you are talking about an 06 or older, I can't comment..since I have never driven one.
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Here in Canada the 2007 GL comes with the 16" wheels
    The 18" might give a harder-harsher ride? Have to agree on a smooth road the car is tight and quiet..I don't think the tires have everything to do with ride, I think it is more to do with the suspension? lack of insulation? dampening?
  • Here in the US the GLS comes with 16" wheels and a 2.7 Litre engine. The SE and the Limited come with the 3.3 Litre and 18" wheels. I've got an SE right now for an extended test drive and I haven't noticed any excessive noise (yet). Overall I'm not that impressed with the vehicle. Maybe it's the front wheel drive. I've had 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees and I like the feeling of being pushed back in the seat when you gun the engine. I don't get the same feeling from this vehicle. I really want to test drive an AWD Santa Fe but I haven't had much luck finding one amongst the 5 dealers in my area.
  • Hi, I (from Vancouver, Canada) am new to this forum. Bought a Dark red 07 SF 3.3 GL AWD Premium (7 passengers) just a week ago, I am very pleased with its performance. I don't need the 3rd row seats, but it will come in handy sometimes. Too bad, there aren't many color choices availbale in Canada, I like the Platnium Sage in US.

Loving every moments of it. On acceleration, it lags abit to feel the rush, but when it comes, I can really feel the power compared to my old car. The suspension is firm, so u can feel every bumps of the road. And it does a good job in absorbing some shocks; thus, a nice, smooth ride. Yes, mine is AWD, I can lock it at AWD, but no need of it now. Nowadays, most SUVs or CUVs have AWD on demand. It will kick in when road is wet and icey. Probably, I will turn AWD on in snowy winter time. That is when AWD will perform. One minor issue: Some rattling noise from the 2nd row seat behind the front passenger seat. Possibly from the locking mechanism is not fully in place. Nonetheless, it is not annoying.
    The interior is tan color. And it is not resistance to dusts and dirts. Easily, u will get marks here and there. So a good all weather floor mat is needed to replace the factory ones. And maybe, maybe some seat coverings..
    Someone mentioned about the wiper sensor, I would like to have it on my SF. :D
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    It may lag behind the Jeep as far as acceleration, but it'll pass a few more gas stations before you'll have to fill up. :) I think that the Santa Fe's slowing acceleration times have to do with the transmission's gearing. The power to weight ratio isn't too bad. Maybe they'll adjust the gear ratios or start using the 6-speed auto the Veracruz is getting later this year.
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    For those of you wanting big pics of the 07 SF here are 5 pages worth of those, her eis the link. And if you'd like you can put them as your background which its kinda cool. I chose the black with the undirect lights as my background. Looks good.

http://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2007-santa_fe/

Enjoy.

Anyone seen of know where i can find pictures of 07 SF in Gray interior? Want to see how it would look in this color. Since this is the only color i like interiors in, i wonder how good it will look with the wood and aluminum.

Thx
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    The one on our Photos page looks like it's the gray interior.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yeah thx but i mean like real life picture or pictures with good lighting. Thx though...

I got another question. The lights on each side of the bumper those look like rear foglights to me kind of how the XC90 has, are these actual rear foglights? Or are they just reflectors? Because i know that on the 1st gen SF it looks like there is a bulb inside of there so i was just wondering if these were actual lights or just reflectors like the 06-07 Pilot?
  • I think the gray looks great. I prefer the grey/black woodgrain to the brown.Looks really sharp :shades:
  • shc1shc1 Posts: 10
    I've been reviewing various SUVs for over a year now, finally settling on several finalists (Subaru,Honda CR-V, RAV-4, Kia Sportage), and after driving all this past week I'm pretty sure that the Hyundai Santa Fe is the winner. The particular one I drove at the dealer's had everything I wanted, and one item I wasn't sure I want, namely heated seats. It seems to me that somewhere in the past year of research I had read something about problems with heated seats (electrical problems? coils erupting thru the seat?). Has anyone had any experiences with heated seats that should cause me to reconsider this particular vehicle? Incidentally I usually keep my vehicles 7 to 10 years, so I really don't want to get poked in a sensitive area of my anatomy by an erupting hot coil down the road. Thanks for any input...
  • On the first-gen SF, there was no bulb inside those large red "lights" on the rear bumper. There was a lot of discussion, and some shared info, about taking it all apart and placing bulbs in them (a pretty involved project). I don't really know why Hyundai didn't illuminate those reflectors for the North American market (supposedly they did do that for the European market to make the SF easier to see in fog). I'm guessing that the 07 SF is similar...no bulbs.
    Thx for the response. Well ill probably stop by the dealer on saturday and take a close look, maybe even turn on the fog lights to see if they do turn on.

However i have seen some of the 1st SF with those illumintaing just like rear foglights you know the bright red lol.

Well thx...

Yea i am a big fan of greay interiors with wood i think it looks very sophisticated and looks not too dark (black) but not too light (beige)it looks really good.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    One of my requirements for a new car is heated seats. I would not even consider one without heated seats. My wife's Lexus RX350 has heated seats and I love them. My son also has them in his 04 Highlander Limited and he loves them. Never had any problems with them and I've not heard of the problems you've described. It is so nice getting into a freezing cold car in the middle of winter and having that cozy warmth oozing out of the seat within a minute of getting in. Heated seats make winter tolerable for me. They are also great in the spring and fall when it's cool out but you still want to drive with the windows down and sunroof open. The seats keep you comfy even with the brisk air flowing by.

In fact, I just ordered a 07 Santa Fe Limited with the third row seating and sunroof in Deepwater Blue / beige interior. The dealer thinks he can get one in by this afternoon or tomorrow for me to take delivery. My last vehicle, an Avalon, I kept for 10 years. Still a great car with no problems. Just not enough safety equipment. I'll keep my Santa Fe until additional safety improvements justify a new vehicle.
  • shc1shc1 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info, and congrats on your new Santa Fe. I like your color combo. I'll be looking forward to driving around when the weather gets cooler with everything open and that "cozy warmth oozing out of the seat.." I'm ready to start negotiating....
  • The Santa Fe is not recommended by consumers do to its tendency for the wheels to come off ther ground and roll over. Does any one know if any of these issues were changed in the design of the 07.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    Interesting that Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the 2006 Santa Fe because it's concerned about rollover risk, yet according to the NHTSA, the Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon, Jeep Liberty, and Nissan Pathfinder have a higher risk of rollover than the Santa Fe--but CR recommends those SUVs. :confuse:

The 2007 Santa Fe hasn't been tested for rollover by the NHTSA yet.
    To fully understand the NHTSA rollover ratings it is very helpful to read the FAQ's found here .
    The tip-up rating that a popular consumers organization used to downgrade the old Santa Fe is based on a dynamic test where the vehicle is turned faster than is safe, and as a result of a high center of gravity, tipped up onto two wheels. The old Santa Fe did not have the vehicle stability control that would prevent such a severe maneuver.

As it turns out, whether a vehicle tips up or not plays a very minor role as to it's tendency to roll over during a single vehicle crash. It's the combination of wheelbase and height of the center of gravity that makes the difference.

I'm not all that concerned about the new Santa Fe's rollover tendencies. For one, it has stability control, which would prevent the dynamic type of rollover problems. Secondly, I'm sure Hyundai has used considerable effort to keep the center of gravity down, and has widened the wheelbase by 3 inches (to 106 inches). I think the new Santa Fe should do quite well on the rollover ratings compared to other SUVs.
    A mistype in my previous message. The track of the new Santa Fe's has increased by 3 inches (from 60.7 to 63.8 inches). Also, it's the combination of track (not wheelbase) and center of gravity height that determines the rollover tendencies. Sorry for the mistake.
    In case you haven't seen it, the NHTSA web site has posted the frontal crash test results for the 2007 Santa Fe. Both the driver and passenger positions get the top rating of 5 stars. Previously the IIHS rated the 2007 Santa Fe as 'Good' in all categories for its frontal offset crash test ('Good' represents the highest level of safety). The NHTSA full frontal test is a better test of how well the seatbelts and airbags work, since the car stops more abruptly. The IIHS offset frontal test is a better test for the structural integrity of the front of the car during a crash (per the NHTSA web site).

NHTSA Santa Fe results
    IIHS Santa Fe results

We now know the new Santa Fe does a great job in protecting us in frontal crashes. The side impact and rollover tests are still pending.
  • Pardon me if this is a dumb question but which of these results is the one where Hyundai supplied the data themselves? :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    The IIHS frontal offset test was done by Hyundai and reported to the IIHS for verification.
  • The results are in. Side impact test reveal a 5 star rating for the Santa Fe for both driver and passenger. The results are shown at the following link. The only outstanding tests are the rollover tests. Great job Hyundai.

link titlehttp://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/4235.html
  • I found the seats in the last Santa Fe to be very comfortable for older people. I see that they changed the front seat design. I hear that the new seat is not as soft and comfortable does anyone have any feelings on this.
    Judging from my test drive of a 07 Santa Fe Limited with leather seating, I find the front seats to be very comfortable. They are similar in feel to our Lexus RX350 with the seat back being slightly firmer in the Santa Fe. I find I like the firmer seat better, giving me slightly more support. I have not tried the old Santa Fe so I can't compare.

Seat comfort is extremely subjective since we all have very different shapes, sizes, and weights (I consider myself about average - 5'11", 170 lbs). I recommend you sit in the 07 Santa Fe for an extended period of time and take it for a test drive. Only then will you be able to judge it's comfort for you.
    Hey guys, my parents are considering the 07 SF as you all know at least some of u know or w/e. So the colors we have settled on are: Steel Gray, Slate Blue, and Deepwater Blue with Gray interior. Now we would like to see what these colors actually look like on real person or what i call "real life photos". So i was wondering those of you that own or have seen and taken pictures of 07 SF's in any of these colors )interior or exterior) to please post them if you can, if not then its ok. WE went to the dealer but they didnt have any of these, however we are going back this weekend so i suppose they have new ones in hopefully in some of these colors.

So if any of you would like to share your real life pics of Steel Gray, Slate Blue, and Deepwater Blue and if you also have photos of the Gray interior too please share them with me or even us that would also like to see these color in real life, that would be very well appreciated.

Thanks in adavance....

Player4...
    There are lots of web sites with various photos of 2007 Santa Fe's. Slate Blue is a common color in many of these photos. I've never seen the Steel Gray color. Keep in mind that the color in the photos will not exactly match what you see with your own eyes due to variations in digital photos and color monitors. Below are some links:

My own Carspace photos of 2007 Santa Fe's including Deepwater Blue and Slate Blue My CarSpace photos
    Santa Fe image gallery that contains several Slate Blue photos and gray interiors Image Gallery
    Santa Fe photo gallery Hyundai Santa Fe gallery
    Several nice photos of Slate Blue with gray interior in this review: Canadian Driver Santa Fe review

The gray interior has a darkish gray wood tone on the dash as opposed to the beige interior, which has an brownish wood tone. Most of the ads for the Santa Fe show it in Bright Silver or the Silver Blue colors for some reason.
  • Does anyone know what the Canadian color Blue Gray matches with in the US? Is it the slate blue or the silver blue?? I like the pictures of the silver blue in all the Hyundai pics, but someone posted saying it was basically a baby blue. If anyone knows where there is a picture of a Canadian Gray Blue color, please let em know, thanks
    Thx for your reply so far im liking the Slate Blue best, because Deepwater BLue is maybe too dark so its maybe as delicated as Black would be. And Steel Gray looks good but i dont like how the rear looks because the red on all the rear lights stand out too much.

I kinda dissapointed that the Gray interiors have a diff kinda gray-ish look like the Sonota has, i would love a Gray interior with the wood on the beige interior color, thats what i was mostly tring to see, how that combinaation would look like. IS the Gray/Gray maybe for just CAN models?

Now does the 07 SF in the Edmunds Comparo, is that Slate Blue? http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=116618/pageId=101- 568
    It's difficult to tell the exact colors in the Edmunds pictures because of the lighting (many pictures seem to be taken near sunset). Slate Blue certainly is one of the more popular colors. I've seen many of those at our dealership.

I agree with you about the darker wood with the gray interior. Many seem to like it according to the dealer, especially younger buyers. That dark gray wood color is the same in the states.

The Santa Fe looks good in any color. I think the darker colors are very sharp, but will be more difficult to keep clean. I initially opted for the Deepwater Blue, but after I saw a Dark Cherry Red at a different dealer, I decided that red was the color for me. It's a very rich, subdued red - sharp without being too glitzy. I'm getting it with the Beige leather interior. The Deepwater Blue is very dark and does look almost black under certain lighting conditions, but sparkles nicely in sunlight. My current vehicle is very close to the Slate Blue so I wanted something different.

For what it's worth, silver is the most popular car color with about 25% of new cars being silver. That's why manufacturers are coming out with numerous variations on silver (Pewter, Steel Gray, Platinum, Platinum Sage, and Silver Blue).