Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• andyshridharandyshridhar Member Posts: 2
    THANK U VERY MUCH KAMAL..........
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    maseace: I agree on Duellers, have them on my 2007 CRV AWD, not so good in the snow/slippery conditons. Alot of Anti-lock braking goin on with only 14k on them. This winter we have more snow, so I couldn't judge them in snow last year when the tires were newer. I don't know about the Goodyears Eagle Resonse Edge, but I just put General Grabbers HTS [No. SUV/CUV tire recommendation from Consumer Reports) on our 2001 Pathfinder 4WD .......WOW. Quite, very good cornering, ....very good road manners & handlung. They replaced Michelins LTXs - which were good tire - but at 40k miles or so - ride really began to deteriorate -altgough we got 55k out of them. The Generals are a new tire for 2008, and without having seen these reviewed I would never have considered Generals. Don't know if General Grabbers HTS - they must be the HTS - are made in the SF sizes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a one-off spammer - anytime you see a link in a "sig file" here, it usually means one of the hosts hasn't gotten around to killing it.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I got the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51's. So far so good. Less than $600 installed via tirerack.
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    After some due diligence and price shopping, I opted for the KL51's.

Ordered them from Tirerack and direct ship to my local NTB dealer.

They arrive today.

Total bill at $630.

Thanks to everyone who offered their experiences and suggestions.

John
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    The drivers side door does not lock When you push the lock button on the inside door or when you use the remote. But it does lock the other doors fine.

Then randomly over a few days it fixes itself and locks.

Has anyone had this problem? It seems to me to be a bad solenoid. Problem is now that it works can't take to dealer. But it will fail again.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    I'm getting frustrated with not being able to get real information on the 2008 or 2009 Limited w/Nav.

1. My dealer told me if I get the Nav, I lose Logic7. I am stunned by this and find it hard to believe. I know on the Limited non-Nav, there's a Logic7 button. I see nothing for the Nav. In the menu system, I saw a touch button "surround". Is that Logic7 though? When I pushed it, I heard zero difference. In the non-Nav unit, pushing the Logic 7 button created a world of difference.

2. With the 2008 Limited with Nav - Can I install a backup camera into it or not? I can't find the answer to this anywhere. My dealer had no clue.

3. Does anyone know the screen resolution for the current 2008 Nav screen?

Thank you if you can help me.
  • roxyboyroxyboy Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for a hitch for my Santa Fe 2007 Limited as well. This vehicle has a full-size spare. When I looked on Etrailer I had noted they only fit those with a smaller spare tire.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    sorry to hijack - but I was wondering - has anyone thought of using an alternat sized tire? 255/55 18 is supposed to fit the santa fe...
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    To the corporate folks that monitor these boards: why hasn't Hyundai updated their website for the 2009 Santa Fe? I know there are still 2008's on the lot, but it's not 2008 any more!

I have a 2005 Tucson which I purchased in October, 2004. I'm thinking of trading the car in and want a little larger SUV, preferably AWD, and like the current styling of the Santa Fe. But I want a 2009, and I'm disappointed that the prices, colors, and options for 2008 are all that are available on Hyundai's website. Has nothing changed for 2009? Thanks in advance for any responses. ;)
    I don't know what's with Hyundai but it is a bit odd. '09 Santa Fe's are on the lot here in Boise.

Edmunds has '09 specs and info. There's only minor changes from the '08s.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    There was a layoff back in February when my friend at Hyundai got the ax. Maybe they laid off the internet manager as well.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i talked to a hyundai salesman at a dealership and asked how the whole bad economy/bailout era/recession/depression was affecting them - he said it wasn't - that was a few months ago...
  • majbachmajbach Member Posts: 12
    Hi, everyone. I just took possession of my '08 Santa Fe two days ago. After owning 6 Honda cars, this is my first ownership of an SUV and of a non- Honda. So far I am quite impressed with the Hyundai but not too surprised since I had done all my homework long before buying.
    The Santa Fe is so suited to my exact needs (one being not priced like a Honda or Toyota)- especially compared to others in it's class. I will really miss having a sun-roof though. I was forced to buy a GL as apposed to a GLS or Limited because there is zilch head room - front or back - for someone of my size of a sunroof equipped SF. Too bad leather/power seats/sunroof is a package and not an option as it is the motor for the power seat that is the reason for the loss of headroom with sunroof as I found plenty of room passenger side.

Anyway, this is a great forum - wish I had of seen it weeks ago. I do have a few questions I hope some of you SF owners can help with. I cannot seem to find a topic view tree though and my searches have been all over the place as I wouldn't be surprised if these questions have been asked before.

Upon delivery of my new car...errrr, SUV, I had a 1000 mile trek straight north to my home in the NWT Canada (near Alaska, for all you south of 45'ers). During that journey, I noticed several minor things I want to rectify with the vehicle - if possible.
    First, I was disappointed with the fuel economy. I knew it was going to be worse than the published EPA and I also reminded myself I was going from a 4 banger car with a far more aerodynamic profile to a medium size 6 cyl SUV. But still, 20 mpg, 26 mpg imp. 11 litres/100kms?!

After a 1000 miles, I still cant find a comfortable seat position but thats the drawback of being 6'5". I think it took just under 9 months to get comfortable in my Accord.

So here is where I need some advice:
    Headlights. They look nice, but they suck. There are way too many moose, elk and buffalo up here to be without good headlights. My Honda's have always had awesome headlights - like a baseball stadium. I've been in a lot of rentals with my job and most headlights coming from cars from 'the big three' aren't much much better than flashlights. The SF seems to be somewhere in the middle.
    I didn't care for the way they were aimed either but I looked this morning and saw no place where the aim can be adjusted.
    While I was shopping, I met a guy with the same complaint who put some after market lights in his. But his e-bay lights - while being nice and bright - required a ballast and also killed his daytime running lights. They probably will kill his alternator much faster too. Has anyone here had success improving their night vision?

Fog-lights: Same complaint as above. I installed some after market fogs on my Accord in the air scoop below the bumper and I have them aimed out to the sides. This helps immeasurably up here in seeing potential road kill ahead of time and I will need this ability on my SF. Although I do see a spot where I can put some after market fogs behind the grill on the SF, I'd rather find a way of brightening up the fogs, aiming them outward a bit and rewiring them so that they stay on even with the high beams. That latter is possible as I had a Prelude with fogs and same factory switch that shut of with the high beams. If I recall, I simply ran a wire from the fog light fuse to the parking lights but I am not 100% on that; it was a long time ago.

Interior lights: Wow. What a beautiful dash etc.But, Wow! How bright is that? Even with the dimmer switch all the way down, the interior is still way to bright for me. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to turn them down even more? Only thing that comes to mind is to put a resistor in series with a wire running through the dimmer. Thoughts?

I could use for a little more bass in the rear speakers too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    MajBach

Screen
  • wjanerwjaner Member Posts: 25
    First, I compliment you on your good comprehensive composition. It made me want to reply. I too took delivery of a 2008 Santa Fe in Nov 2008. Hyundai's marketing strategy needs some refining. I bought the GLS with the standard Transmission as I ocassionaly tow the vehicle behind a motor home. Hyundai haphazardly distributes the Santa Fe with the manual tranny on a low volumn basis and the dealers cannot order the std tranny for a specific customer. Potential buyers are out there but they have no way of knowing where to find the vehicle.
    This is my fifth Hyundai and we still have all five vehicles. My first was a 1999 Elantra station wagon with standard Transmission. It regularily gave me 43 miles per gallon at 60 miles per hour. Next, I bought a 2002 Santa Fe GLS 4 cyl with auto tranny for my girl friend. It gives 30 miles per gal and she will not part with it. Next, bought a 2002 Elantra GLS with standard tranny for my son. It gives 43 miles per gal. Next, I bought a 2003 Santa Fe 4 cyl GLS with standard tranny and it gives 32 miles per gallon. Lastly my 2008 Santa Fe gls never gives me more than
    26.5 to 27 miles per gallon. I carefully maintain all five vehicles and the quality of the 2008 Santa Fe which was produced in Alabama is noticibly inferior to the prior four that were produced in Korea. On the Korean producion cars each nut and bolt was inspected for torque and marked with paint dabs to verify inspection. It is also interesting to note the decrease in MPG for each succeding year as the American buyers demanded bigger engines with more neck snapping power. Now the trend to higher power is reversing and the Santa Fe will be offered with the 4 cyl engine again in 2010.
    Werner
    Welcome to CarSpace - I just glanced over to my hutch to admire my NWT license plate I got in Inuvik and it's missing. We may have to talk if I can't find it. :shades:

Hopefully your mpg kpg kpl? will improve once your Santa Fe gets broken in a bit more.
    Just say the word...
    "BRRR 2 COLD"
    "DIAMONDS"
    "MAPLE LEAFS" (why??)
    "-40 FOREVER"

License plates are everywhere.

I do not expect my economy to improve. However, I factored this in when deciding to buy a larger engine. After moving here, I NEEDED AWD at the very least. I have little use for the empty space of the back of a truck so that leaves SUV. I basically had to shop for what fit, not what I liked or could afford. Fortunately, the SF was all three. I also need something roomy enough for a 240 pound stature, 25 lb down parka, beaver hat, body armour and gun belt.
    I almost went for a CR-V as it was an awesome deal (I'll leave out the details). But, despite being Honda biased, I liked the SF much better. Plus, I wanted something that had depreciated a little already as I knew whatever I bought it would spend more time depreciating than it would on the road. That too was ultimately why the trade-off from good mileage of the CR-V to mediocre mileage of the SF was tolerable. I figured the price difference between the two more than offset the increase fuel costs b/c up here, I likely won't drive 5,000 kms per year (as opposed to 30,000 where I was from), so gas costs are not really significant.
    I was thinking you put the first 1k on it, but yeah, you may not get much of an improvement in the mileage. Especially not hauling around a bunch of gear and stuff. And yeah, not having to eat the initial depreciation will buy a lot of gas.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • santafekingsantafeking Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe GLS. I wanted to purchase mudflaps for it and install them myself. Can anyone give me advice on how this is done? I wasn't sure if the mudflaps are mounted using the existing screw holes on the inside wheel well or are other modifications needed?
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    If you purchase the OEM mudguards, they should install easily with no modifications. I installed mine with little effort. The part number for the front is 08460-2B010, and the rear kit is 08460-2B500. I found mine on ebay from Frank Hyundai in California for $35 (for both together) plus shipping.
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hi: I also purchased my mudflaps for my 07 Santa Fe on line from the same seller. Just a note to assist you can turn the wheels in on the front so you do not have to remove the wheels to get the screwdriver onto the factory screws. The mudflaps come with replacement screws and the mudflaps are a definite improvement to the vehicle.
    Good luck with your installation.
  • larry99zzlarry99zz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased from dealer module U8612-2B001.I installed it but cannot get lights to work. Have correct power and turn signal response from mutipin connector. The 2 pin connector has no power coming from vehicle,is there a fuse or something I am missing?
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Looks like I was incorrect earlier about standard features on the Santa Fe not changing. The 2009 models are finally out (took until May??) and the base GLS not only comes with hubcaps now, but also black mirrors as opposed to body colored. I saw several at my local dealer yesterday. Price went up $200 too. Too bad, because by doing this Hyundai really cheapened the look for those interested in the base model. On the other hand, I-pod and USB ports are finally standard.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Well, the mystery is solved anyway.

I guess I'd rather have the USB if I had to choose between that or upgrading from hubcaps. I don't get to see the hubcaps very often driving around, but having the ability to play mp3s is nice.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    You think what they did to the 2009 is bad? Look what they're doing to the 2010!!!

Body color pillars instead of black.
    WHITE (body color) grill.
    Less black under cladding & now a straight line.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_popup/newgallery.php?postid=17430&defimag- e=http%3A%2F%2Fphotos.leftlanenews.com%2Fphotos%2Fimageresizeronfly%2FphpThumb.p- hp%3Fsrc%3D%2Fphotos%2Fcontent%2Fmay2009%2Fhyundai-santa-fe-new-3.jpg

Way to turn back the clock 10-15 years AND cheap it up all in one fell swoop Hyundai! Oh yes, and kiss goodbye the 605w Infinity Logic 7 too.
  • maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    Looks like to roof rails/rack are completely gone, too.

If Hyundai wants to improve the brand image, this is not the way to go. They can't rely on the Genesis alone.

Maybe we need a new Hyundai Assurance program - Assure us, Hyundai, that you're not going to ruin the Santa Fe in this economy.
  • eba55eba55 Member Posts: 20
    Wow, those are not improvements.for 2010?? I'm glad we have a 2007 which we really like, except we got one of the first ones back in Dec 06 so it has no XM or USB. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the better stereo put in an '07?
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I absolutely hate body colored grills. That is why I didn't buy the 08 Azera...I noted they did away with this on the 09. One has to wonder what the idiots in marketing are thinking.
    Well, I've upgraded to a pair of Phillips X-treme bright and they were well worth the $$$. Will order another pair from the UK to replace my low beams. In the mean time, does anyone know how to adjust the headlights laterally? Up and down is obvious but I can't determine how to do it from side to side? I find my lights are aimed to converge. There's gotta be a way. to spread them apart.

Also, are the fogs aimable?
    Allow me to amend my previous post: they WEREN'T worth the money. The apparent difference was all in my head. On my way home tonight, I decided to swap the bulbs around a little. The new Phillips were installed as high beams; the lows are still factory. Tonight I went over to one side and swapped the high for the lows. So, this means that on my passenger side, the high beams are factory, the low beams are the new Phillips. On the driver side, its the opposite. Long story short, there is NO apparent different left side to right side while driving. I then drove up about 20 feet short of a dark brick wall. The new Phillips were noticieably brighter on the high beams, and I use this word 'noticeably ' in true context. It was noticeable but no appreciable difference. The low beams werent not even noticeable- perhaps this is the design of the lens. Tomorrow I intend on stopping by Canadian Tire (best store in the world, by the way) and buying the Phillips Nighthawks and Sylvania's. I'll do the same test again with both and post my results...if anyone cares.
  • maseacemaseace Member Posts: 32
    You might as well just upgrade to an HID kit instead of buying all those halogen bulbs with blue coatings on them that burn out quickly. The HIDs WILL be noticeably brighter. They can be bought cheaply on eBay.
    Thanks for the advice. I may go HID but as a last resort. I don't like the warm up times of HIDs as it's my high beams I really want to improve. I'm also under the impression that daytime running lights will not work either if HIDs.
    I have installed HID's in both high and low beam on my 07 Santa Fe and have been adjusting the headlights to aim properly with the new projection from the HID'S. The high beam are exceptional and there is no delay or warm up when you switch from low to high. As to the HID's in the low beam they seem a little weak due to the frosted cover on the low beam from Hyundai. I am investigating using HID's in the foglights as this seems to be the way to improve low beam loighting. I do not use the daytime running lights as I drive with my park lights on as with day time running ights there are no tail lights and I have seen many drivers just get in and drive without turning on their headlights. Hope this helps.
    If anyone finds out how to adjust the headlights from side to side I would appreciate it if they would post.
    :)
    Well thanks for the info 'McBain". I spent much of this evening comparing some high end Halogen bulbs and the bottom line is there is barely a noticeable difference from standard bulbs - certainly not worth the extra $$$. So, after reading your post I am going to give HIDs a shot. I've been talking to people here and there and many say that e-bay is the place to go for HID kits BUT all kits aren't the same quality. Do you have any advice on purchasing HIDs?
    oh, and by the way...despite the fact that i have been blatantly told that there is no side-to side adjustment, I found what appears to be a horizontal adj. screw. I could test it because it requires a stubby screwdriver and i didnt have one handy. But, if you look at the look beam enclosures from inside, there is a screw head at about the 5 o'clock position on the passenger side (7 o'clock driver's side). With the bulb out, you can peer into the housing and see a long shaft. The appearance alone suggests an adjusting screw as does it's placement. If you try it and it does work, let us know.
    I've been waiting for your response to my response to your response. Perhaps you didn't see it first time around. See below.

#2946 of 2947
    Re: adjusting headlights [rmcbain] by majbach
    Jun 15, 2009 (8:55 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: rmcbain (Jun 10, 2009 8:52 am)
    Well thanks for the info 'McBain". I spent much of this evening comparing some high end Halogen bulbs and the bottom line is there is barely a noticeable difference from standard bulbs - certainly not worth the extra $$$. So, after reading your post I am going to give HIDs a shot. I've been talking to people here and there and many say that e-bay is the place to go for HID kits BUT all kits aren't the same quality. Do you have any advice on purchasing HIDs?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hey all,

My girlfriend has a "new"Santa Fe, a 2007 GLS model with heated leather, 2WD. Does this model have automatic door locks? She's in the process of obtaining a manual, but in the meantime I was going to try and program these since I'd read about them.

Any info is most appreciated. Thank you!

TheGrad
  • bellefantbellefant Member Posts: 8
    The 2007 did not come with automatic door locks, however, Hyundai decided to offer it to customers at no charge. I took mine in to get an oil change and told them what I had read. They did it on the spot with no questions. Now the doors lock automatically at 5mph.
    Another fix that they offer for that model is the interior lights. They will make it so your map lights will come on with the dome lights when unlocking and opening the doors. Makes a big difference!
    Both of these fixes where offered free from Hyundai and I had no problems getting either done. Did have to wait on parts for the lights.
    Good luck!
    Any idea if they'd still do this, considering we're bumping up against the 2010 models? She just got the car, but it only has 16,000 miles on it, and has had some warranty work done at a dealership already (CD Player quit working and sunglasses holder wouldn't latch closed).

I appreciate your help!

TheGrad
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    grad,

As far as the manual is concerned, you can download it in pdf format from Hyundai. Go to http://www.hmaservice.com and register there. Once you log in, go to service information then select OM. Once there you can select the manual you want, even back to the original Excel! ;)

p.s. be sure to check out the site requirements on that page. You need to use IE and add a few plug-ins.
  • 09safelim09safelim Member Posts: 2
    We just bought an 09 SF 2wd Limited yesterday. The manual shows the two sensors up on the dash by the windshield to be Automatic Light Sensors. The sensor up on the driver's side flashes a red light. I called the Customer Service No. @ Hyundai and the CS agent did not know what the flashing light indicated. Is it actually for the lights or is it indicating a Keyless Entry System or something? Anyone know?? Other than that the only thing I notice is the average mpg seems to be irratic. Thanks. :confuse:
    The flashing light in the driver's side "bulb" is indeed the security system. It will be on for long durations when "arming," right after locking the car. Then should flash in regular intervals, being off more than it is on.
    Thanks tenpin,

She actually got the manual today, no charge for it.
    Did your lights burn out and you disappear into the darkness?
    It's impossible to reach you. Wanted to ask what kind of HIDs you have and also tell you I found a lateral adjustment for the lights.
    Hi again everyone. I have a couple of questions - well actually advice I seek - on two topics.

There's been a lot of talk about here in the past about HIDs; a lot of controversy too. I have hesitated to buy HIDs b/c I want them for my high beams, not lows. What has kept me from making the leap is the fact that I do not want the start up delay that often accompanies HIDs plus, living in Canada, I need to run my daytime running lights and I was told there is not enough current to keep them on. I do not want to go the route of leaving my lights on all the time to have daytime lights. Anyway, I found someone on this board that claimed his high beam HIDs have no delay. He also stated he finds that due to the frosted glass, the low beams are no where near as effective when HID are used. I cant seem to reach him anymore as I wanted to ask him about brand name lights he used since he did state that there are good and bad kits out there. So , does anyone have any suggestions on hi-quality HIDs?

By the way, I did try Phillips Power Extreme (or whatever they're called) AND Sylvania Silverstars, both the Ultra and the other. I tried them on the road and in a dark garage bouncing a dark wall. When I installed them in the high beam wells, I blocked off the low beams. I installed the Phillips first and instantly though I noticed a big improvement. But, after driving 2000 kms in 2 days, I noticed the same inadequacies as with the OEM. I then installed the Sylvannia. They didn't appear any better but I 'thought' they appeared to have a wider beam (physically, I do not see how this is possible given a bulbs construction but they dod advertise this affect on the package). Sick of driving down the dark roads straining my eyes and neck hoping to see a noticeable difference to justify my purchase and never really asking myself "are these good enough or do I still have the same problem as I did before when I couldn't see the road as good as I was used to?", I mixed up all 4 pairs of bulbs and randomly installed one in each of the four bays. When I couldn't tell one from another, I took the Santa Fe into the garage. After installing all 3 brands of bulb into both high and low lights, I can honestly say there is not enough difference to be noticeable while driving and certainly not enough to justify the cost. All three aftermarket bulbs did have slightly brighter beams than the OEMs (but, my OEMs were original and there was a definite 'fog' built up on the inside of the glass). I would estimate that that brand new ones would appear even closer to the same brightness as the aftermarket ones. I did notice a slightly more focused beam with the Phillips and slightly broader beam with the Ultras. Again, this might have been a diffusing effect with the OEM foggy glass when compared to the Phillips. Nevertheless, the difference was minute and I doubt the effect would have been amplified at a farther distance out. In the low beam lights, THERE WAS NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE from OEMs, on the road or indoors.

So, that concludes the aftermarket bulb rant.

The other topic I wanted input on was fog lights. Thanks to experience with others, I have purchased some higher wattage bulbs from the OEM fog lights. However, I found two difference kinds: one had the 'frosted' or coated tip, the other did not; just plain glass all around. What difference is there with the output between these two bulbs?

Hope that wasnt too long winded for ya ;)

MajBach
  • ramapokidramapokid Member Posts: 5
    I have 2007 Santa Fe. The low beam and fog light on driver side went out. I checked all the small type fuses and box type fuses in engine compartment and are OK. I did some switching of these from right headlights to left headlights. There is also a 10 amp fuse for fog lights. It is OK.
    When lights are OK, the fog only come on when low beam are on. If the problem is the low beam headlight is burned out, does that also prevent the fog light on the same side from coming on?

Thanks
    Thanks for the update on headlight adjustment. I did not encounter any problems with my headlights as I just wanted to improve the night time driving experience. The Hid's were purchased on Ebay and they are fine but as I stated the low beam are somewhat diffused due to the style of the low beam headlight produced by Santa Fe. I have to lower the high beam from the stock setting as they are now too high to be effective. We live in a mountainous area and lots of wildlife so it is important to be able to see as much as possible.
  • ronkennedy61ronkennedy61 Member Posts: 23
    installed Curt 13538 hitch and Valley 30159 T-Connector on 2009 SE and everything fit perfectly.
  • yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    Bought a new 2009 Santa Fe Limited, Hitch at dealer $436.00 plus labor to install. Bought one online from Hitchmart for $202.00 shipped to my front door, Installed hitch and wiring in 30 minutes. Google Hitchmart if you need one, quality when it matters.
  • ronkennedy61ronkennedy61 Member Posts: 23
    I want to remove the bars. Would appreciate any advice on how to do it.