Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Today it was 13 degrees. Brrrrr. Went out to start the truck to take the kids to school. Decided not to warm it up. Very sluggish in reverse until it warmed up. Otherwise smooth sailing. Resolution: WARM IT UP at least a minute. :)
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    +13F? It is Minus 13F here right now (-25C) . Just came back from training in my daugther Tucson. It took some time to warm up the cabin...
  • Hi all,

At the risk of inviting considerable ridicule, I'll freely admit that I'm Canadian. Anyway, I've noticed in the case of the Santa Fe that there's a considerable difference in terms of trim levels and equipment between U.S. and Canadian versions. In Canada, the GLS is the highest trim level, where in the U.S., it's the lowest. One thing I've particularly noticed is audio equipment. With the U.S. versions, there's considerable choice, including the ultimate package with CD changer and 10 speakers. In Canada, we get a lowly 6 speaker system with single CD across all trim levels. I'm really surprised why this is. Any thoughts? Doesn't this complicate things for the factory? Thanks!
  • 07xle07xle Posts: 177
    Ask Hyundai Canada Marketing......

Of course it is more complicated with the models but the Canadian audio non-option makes it a little easier.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    At the risk of inviting considerable ridicule ...

There is no such risk. We have members from all over the world. Pretty neat, eh? :)

tidester, host
  • doublehdoubleh Posts: 21
    i feel your pain. i tried to get my dealer to order a 6 cd changer from the US and install it for me, but they said the wiring was different. guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.
  • i feel your pain. i tried to get my dealer to order a 6 cd changer from the US and install it for me, but they said the wiring was different. guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.

Agreed - difficult to understand. Unless the dealer can do a stereo swap at minimal cost, I'd say the new Mitsubishi is looking pretty good.
  • carritocarrito Posts: 38
    guess those bone heads in korea don't think canadians like 6 cd changers.

actually SF is build in Alabama not Korea. 6 CD changer is not the only feature we don't get in Canada and Hyundai is not the only car maker that strips down some nice features. With Nissan we don't get the FAST key just to mention an example. I believe this is because car prices are already higher than in the States and to reduce the difference they remove some nice features; why not just make them optional? :confuse:
  • Miscalculated b/c cdn sales tax (gst). Considering this factor, i paid ~Cdn$1000 under msrp.

Thanks for cabin cage reinforcement info. Does anyone know whether this is effective in roll-over i.e. i heard that volvo suv will protect occupants in such a scenario?
    You can go buy your Santa Fe south of the border and save thousands of $$$; and get the options you like... ;)
  • re: 1801 I wish it were so simple then every Cdn, like myself, would be running south of the border to buy our vehicles. Unfortunately, most manufactures have an agreement with their dealers that they will not honour (sorry about the spelling but that is the way we do it in Canada) the warranty for a Cdn that purchased the car in the U.S. This also works the other way (suprisingly for example a Mercedes is usually cheaper in Canada than in the U.S.). In other words, they (the manufactures and dealers) have you by the what's its. I have been ranting against this price difference between cars being sold in the U.S. and Canada for quite some time but you can well imagine the success I have had in even getting the manufactures to explain why the price difference. I can't figure out why the Fair Trade people haven't gotten after them because, as you know, many models are made in Canada, shipped to the U.S., then sold for less in the U.S. than their selling price in Canada, even taking into consideration the difference in the value of our respective currencies. To me, that is known as dumping and that is against the trade rules. If any Hyundai person is reading this, perhaps they would like to respond.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    NAFTA was supposed to fix all that but the car lobby is pretty strong.

More here:

Importing Car into Canada from US

Importing Canadian Vehicles to the U.S.
    Hundreds of Canadians are doing it. Specially on Subaru's where the CDN price is so much higher than the US one. Check the forum on importing and lots of posts on Canadiandriver.com. My Volvo service manager confirmed that they would honour the warranty on a US imported vehicle. Last summer I could have saved $18K on a XC70 even after all the taxes (yes, including the 6% tax on cars built outside of North America) 2 reasons: the MSRP is lower in the States and the competition level between dealers is much higher. I don't know what Mercedes model you refer to but none are cheaper in Canada than in the States. For example a ML 320 MSRP is $58,300 CDN in Canada but $43,455. US in the States. At the current rate of 1.18 that equates to $51,276 CDN; so it is $7,000. cheaper south of the border!!!

You do have to do your homework before importing to make sure that there are no major modifications to do on the cars and that the warranty will be honored. But for $18K less, maybe you want to take your chances with the warranty.

I even start seeing ads in the the newspaper for outfits that will import the car for you for a fee.

BTW the 6% fee does not apply to the Santa Fe as it is built in Alabama.

Please do your research before posting ;)
  • Driving Television (a Canadian show on Global) will be airing an episode this weekend about importing new vehicles to Canada. For any one interested.

Driving Television
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    New York Times:

A Korean Crossover Gets Its Green Card

GROWTH SPURT Redesigned for Americans, the Santa Fe is larger and Alabama-built.
    By BOB KNOLL
    Published: February 4, 2007

BY now, everyone knows that South Korean automakers have come a long way since their first halting attempts to sell tinny econoboxes to Americans. The distance Hyundai has traveled is no longer figurative; it can be measured in miles.

The new-from-the-ground-up 2007 Santa Fe, for instance, wears the logo of the Seoul-based company, but it is as Korean-American as kimchee at a suburban A.& P. This larger, more substantial, car-based S.U.V. — a crossover, in the parlance — was developed specifically for American tastes. It was designed at the new Hyundai Design Center in Irvine, Calif., and rolls off a new assembly line in Montgomery, Ala.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/automobiles/autosreviews/04AUTO.html&cid=11132- - 93864
  • jtajta Posts: 17
    Well after substantial research and test drives, we (my wife and I) put down a deposit on a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with Touring & Ultimate package. Now for the questions.....

I wanted a Black Santa Fe with Black Leather interior. The dealer first tried to tell me they haven't made any in this combination ???? How can this be?? The combination is listed in the brochure. They tried to tell me they won't be making this combination till April at the earliest. :confuse:

They also tried to tell me that they maybe had some on the west coast because they are coming in from Korea ?? It is my understanding that the 2007 North American Santa Fe is made in Alabama ?? :confuse:

They did show me their search results for a 2007 Black/Black with T+U with XM radio, and it did show NO RESULTS. :cry:

So, we worked out a deal, $27,900.00 OTD with my trade worth $2600.00. I put down $500.00 and they have to find one. I'm in no hurry, so I'm willing to wait for what I want. But I believe they just wanted me to buy what they had, and started the BS machine.

I hate car dealers. Most (not all) are scum bottom feeders. I have found on numerous occasions, I knew more about their products and industry than they did. I prefer to deal with educated, no bull people. Treat me right, and don't try and BS me. When the BS machine starts, they get very aggravated when I prove them wrong. ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Most (not all) are scum bottom feeders. I have found on numerous occasions ...

I think we should avoid making such generalizations based on limited data.

tidester, host
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    1. Santa Fe is made at the Alabama plant

2. Black on black is available. Perhaps your dealer still does not have the allocation, which is weird. My suggestion would be to ask your dealer (since you already have the deposit down) to find one from another dealer nearby.
  • You know what you want and you're willing to wait... that is exactly what I did and my dealership kept looking since December for my 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD in Dark Cherry Red/Beige interior equipped with only the standard equipment(no options!). I gave them a deposit, sat back and they did all the work, and now we are very satisfied with our new purchase.
    By the way, you can 'order' what you want, but must wait for them to run a batch of the Black Limited beauties... just sit back and wait... it will come... eventually... good luck!
  • Hello Everyone,

I have had a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD for less than 2 weeks. I love the vehicle and up until today everything was fine. I just noticed a few hours ago that the outside temperature displays as 68 degrees when it is approximately 11 degrees here in New Jersey at the moment. I plan to call Hyundai Customer Service about the issue to inquire about it, but thought some of you might have a quick answer since I could not find anything in the manuals. Does any of you know what might cause this or how I may quickly fix it? I know the car is brand new and under warranty, so I am not worried, it is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Thanks,
    Pete