Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

torque_rtorque_r Posts: 500
In the last three months or so, GM saw sales rise, thanks to excellent new models. On the other hand, Toyota is facing quality problem, and recently sale decline. Is this a new a trend? GM is the only american auto company that is doing well for now. Ford is trying to get on its feet. Chrysler is just in deep trouble.
Tagged:

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...to look at a 2005 Park Avenue that turned out to be a dud, (bad repaint). Anyway, I asked about the LaCrosse Super and they're going to be somewhere in the $31K range and be powered by a 5.3 V-8 similar to the Impala SS.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    $31k? :confuse: Jeez, that kind of money will get you a Genesis with a lot of extra space driven by the proper wheels.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    That is however yet to be confirmed. ;)

-Rocky
  • torque_rtorque_r Posts: 500
    I remember reading a review about the Super and it was mostly negative. It was smooth and had good performance in straight line, but it was a lousy handler with an outdated chasis. And the fit and finish of the imporved interior was poor. LaCrosse belongs to the old GM era, not the new excellent products.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I don't see what the LaCrosse Super has that isn't already available on the Pontiac or Impala "Super". All three are on an aging platform that should be dumped sooner than later. The G8 Pontiac is a much better choice for a performance sedan, or the new CTS. FWD makes for poor performance in handling.
    Okay the LaCrosse Super, might not be the best effort but with cash on the hood it would make a great alternative. It sure beats buying a camcord for the same money. ;)

I myself really like the Buick Lucerne Super. If I wasn't so obsessed with the new Saab 9-3 Black Turbo X :shades: it would rank up their a little higher.

My Top 5 favorite GM cars for 2008.

#1 Saab Turbo X

#2 Cadillac CTS

#3 Corvette

#4 Cadillac STS

#5 Lucerne Super
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    Here's my take on the Lucerne Super, which has a certain appeal, to be sure. Among other things, it evokes memories of the most exciting performance oriented Buicks of the past (the first pre-war Century, the '55 and '57 centuries, and the Grand Nationals). I think, though, that it'll be a much better value as a used car, just as the supercharged Regal GS is, than a new car. By the time the next generation Lucerne is introduced, the '08 Super will have depreciated to the point where it'll be a great value.

Want a great performance value today? Then consider a late model Regal GS. For new, buy an Accord; for used, buy a Regal. Hopefully, Buick will fix this paradigm soon, with more aspirational. "gotta have" cars. I hope so, because I'd like to see Buick, as well as the other domestic brands, not only survive, but thrive. I root for the home team, but, like other hypocrites, I vote with my wallet. The domestic brands are closing the gap with the imports, but for the most part, they're not there yet. There are exceptions, such as the Corvette (a clear example of best-in-class), and, arguably, the CTS. Others come close, but could use a little more tweaking. Examples of these would include the Chrysler 300, and Ford Fusion, the new Taurus, and, yes, the new Focus, in my opinion. I say "could" because, while they may not be stand out as best-in-class, they're very competitive in their respective classes. The jury is out on the '08 Malibu, but hopefully it'll put Chevy solidly back into the family sedan segment.

My 2 cents.
    Among other things, it evokes memories of the most exciting performance oriented Buicks of the past

How does it do that? The Lucerne Super has maybe 5 more horsepower than the regular V8 Lucerne.
    Sorry, my comments were intended for the LaCrosse Super, since that's the model with the powerful engine in a medium size body, in the spirit of the Centurys and GN.

The Lucerne Super is more of a successor to the Park Avenue T-Types of the '80s, or were they Electra T-Types (can't remember exactly now, but they were the large body, more sporty Buicks of that period).
    How about a supercharged Park Avenue Ultra? Saw a nice white 2004 with the supercharged Park Ave, but was afraid of the supercharger's reliability.
    The supercharger is fine. You just have to change the oil regularly (which you would do anyway), and replace it with a new unit every 60k or so just like a timing belt.
    "How about a supercharged Park Avenue Ultra?" Yeah, that could work, provided it had the touring suspension (or whatever Buick calls their upgraded suspension), because not all supercharged Park Avenues had it. Help me out here, lemko, were all supercharged Park Avenues Ultras, or could you get a supercharged PA that wasn't an Ultra? I know someone who has a supercharged '97 PA with the standard suspension, but I don't know if it's an Ultra.

I guess I prefer the Regal GS to the supercharged PA, in terms of size, but the PA would be okay. For that matter a Bonneville SSEi would also be okay, but while I like the Regal GS, I don't care for the supercharged Gran Prix or Impala. These are just my personal preferences.
    Never saw a supercharged Park Ave that wasn't an Ultra. I just prefer the look of the Ultra to the "regular" Park Ave. I can't get the image out of my head when I saw a beautiful black Ultra pull out of a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot on my way to work one morning. I'm almost glad the PA I wanted to look at all week turned out to be a dud as I really don't need another car. My '88 Park Ave still has a lot of life left in it, but the delaminating clear coat really makes me sick to look at. Guess I was just smitten with that Ultra I saw about a year ago.
    The Bonneville GXP, are sure nice also andwould make a nice daily driver. However it probably has a little more harsher ride than what you are accustomed to. ;)

I still think lemko, will be very attracted to the Buick Lucerne Super, as that would be more his style and it's FWD so he could drive it year around if he chose. :shades:

-Rocky
  • torque_rtorque_r Posts: 500
    For less money, the Pontiac G8 is a much better deal. What with 362hp V8 for around $30,000.
    Not really if you are looking for a true ELLPS. If you want just a sports sedan with a touch luxury then yeah. However the CTS, would still be my preferred choice. I don't think I'll be interested in the G8, until they add more power and add the Delphi Magneride System like they did in Australia for the Commodore HSV. ;)

-Rocky

P.S. You also can't get a stick on the G8, until next year. :sick:
    As you may know, I like the styling, size, and space efficiency of the '85-'90 GM large bodies, so I understand your feelings regarding your '88 PA. And, yes, a pristine, black Ultra would be appealing.

"Never saw a supercharged Park Ave that wasn't an Ultra." Okay, but isn't it true that you could get the Ultra with the standard PA suspension or the upgraded touring suspension, at least in some model years, such as '97? I seem to recall that one of the changes Bob Lutz made was to make the touring suspension standard on all Ultras, but I don't recall when that change was introduced. The touring suspension would be an important upgrade for me.
    As far as I can tell, the Gran Touring suspension setup was optional on both the Ultra and regular Park Ave since around 1994. Part of that package was magnetic variable-effort steering.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The T-type was an Electra, I owned an 86. The basic difference was a stiffer suspension and tires. The Park Avenue was top of the line for luxury.

In 1991, the new body became just the Park Avenue, with the Ultra top of the line. The supercharged V6 became available in 1992 I think, and was only available with the Ultra where it was standard.

The optional suspension was available on both Park Avenues and the LeSabre from 1991 and earlier.
    Thanks to both for clarifying.

Lemko, which suspension do you prefer for the PA/Utra? Also, did Buick firm up the regular suspension of the PA/Ultra,if only a little, with the '97 platform change. It seems to me that with the significant improvement in body stiffness, the suspension was firmed up a tad, but maybe you know for sure.