Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,775
    edited February 2013
    I guess I can't blame CR for this really, but if the name had changed, would a recommendation have been more forthcoming? I mean, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, in common from, say, an '07 Malibu and a '13 except the word "Malibu" on it.

...and the manufacturer GM behind it. The GM pattern, remember?

BTW, the reason the new Malibu is not recommended yet is that GM has not shown historically consistent reliability in their vehicles. So CR needs to wait and see the data. The new Accord, OTOH, is the new highest ranked family sedan and IS recommended right away, due to Honda's historical consistency of high reliability.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    "I guess I can't blame CR for this really, but if the name had changed, would a recommendation have been more forthcoming? I mean, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, in common from, say, an '07 Malibu and a '13 except the word "Malibu" on it. "

...and the manufacturer GM behind it. The GM pattern, remember?

BTW, the reason the new Malibu is not recommended yet is that GM has not shown historically consistent reliability in their vehicles. So CR needs to wait and see the data. The new Accord, OTOH, is the new highest ranked family sedan and IS recommended right away, due to Honda's historical consistency of high reliability.

And, that's the problem the folks that love to rely on "heritage" run into... One can't just bark about the good aspects and ignore the bad experiences, although some try to do exactly that.

Its true for every manufacturer.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,534
    No question about the Accord.

The thing that got me most was that all the hubbub on here about many other cars, but when CR showed they didn't even test as well as the "lame" Malibu (as it's been called on here)--the silence was deafening.
    The thing that got me most was that all the hubbub on here about many other cars, but when CR showed they didn't even test as well as the "lame" Malibu (as it's been called on here)--the silence was deafening.

CR said a lot of good things about the new Malibu - nice interior, good quiet ride, smooth engine. Their only real complaints were the tight back seat and the relatively high price. So it seems that the Malibu is close to being excellent, with a small redesign -- assuming the reliability is also decent.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 394
    Actually I think it is fair to question the recommended tag for the Accord, with all the new to Honda tech there is a question ( all be it hopefully small) about the reliability of it all, new engines and transmissions for one, I do think it unlikely that Honda dropped the ball, but I do think CR should have waited a few month to see if the traditional Honda reiabity is in fact there.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    Of course, some will say servicing diesel powered trucks is no different.

I guess we'll find out...

I'd guess if they can service a Volt they could figure out a diesel Cruze. Plus the diesel trucks are high tech too. I don't see it being a problem.
    I'd guess if they can service a Volt they could figure out a diesel Cruze. Plus the diesel trucks are high tech too. I don't see it being a problem.

Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I don't think it will be an issue at the larger dealerships, but I can foresee issues at the smaller ones.

As you stated, the Volt, and now the diesel car (and, there are differences between diesel powered trucks and cars) is a lot of "techno-know how" requirements for dealers to be supplying.

For either vehicle, before I bought one, I'd want a "nickel tour" of the service facility so I could get a "warm & fuzzy" feeling before signing on the dotted line.

I'm happy to see diesels finally making it to the US market. After spending a lot of time in diesel vehicles in my visits to Germany, I've really been impressed with their FE and power output. And, no stinking smell like the old diesels sold here in the past years.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    There's always a cycle of cutting costs and then re-contenting the stuff consumers notice. Honda seems to be on the re-content upswing, for now.
    Heck, I still have a wheel cover from my first car - a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe - still hanging on a peg in my garage.

About a mile from my house, there's a guy (a bit of a hermit-type, not very extroverted) who lives in a house that sits in a fairly sharp curve, on a narrow 2-lane paved road with a bit of a drop-off at the pavement edge. His house is on the outside arc of the curve, and several times a week someone used to run off the road's edge and lose a hubcap... Not so often now, because so many cars have cast or alloy wheels.

All the kids in the neighborhood call it the "hubcap house", because he used to hang the lost hubcaps on the side of his house, just in case anyone came looking for a lost hubcap. We used to joke that he had a hubcap for every make and model since WWII.

For some reason, that stopped hanging them out about 2 years ago. My wife thinks the guy got married and his new wife put a stop to it. Maybe so...

Over the years (the house is older than mine, and I've been here for 35 years) I'd bet he's collected 1000's of hubcaps. I have no idea what he's done with them all.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    >a drill team of a bunch of these vehicles with the doors being opened and closed in unison,

I can remember seeing it. Your description is pretty good. But can't remember it. I can't find it on youtube, either.
    The linked video has absolutely nothing to do with GM or cars, but if you're interested in a guided tour of the International Space Station, have a look. It's about 30 minutes long...

It's not a place for the claustrophobic person...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k

I thought it might be a nice change of pace... Enjoy!
    I can remember seeing it. Your description is pretty good. But can't remember it. I can't find it on youtube, either.

Do you remember the vehicle it was? Idid a fair amount of searching and I can't find it anywhere, either.

Another really excellent commercial is the Honda Civic one where all the sounds are made by people, not the car:

Honda
    Sorry...earlier I posted a wrong link to the '72 Malibu commercial I liked. Here it is, with Casey Kasem narrating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-TnCo4yQ8
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    GM lowers Malibu prices to compete with Camry in searches

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130208/RETAIL01/302089755#ixzz2KLajlfbw
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

Average drop is $450, but some models as much as $770.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,305
    edited February 2013
    When I was a teenager (90s), the older woman across the street had a later Chevelle Malibu like that. Original owner, car was a fancier version with vinyl top, but it had buckets (I think) and rally wheels. I think it was originally her late husband's. Her other car was an early 80s Subaru HT coupe - kind of an odd pair.
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 372
    es, getting an extremely severely bad ownership experience from a Chrysler vehicle was one thing, but having them "STEAL" my tax money without permission

I didn't even check online but I'm pretty sure first loan and the most recent one were both paid back. I really don't think they STOLE our/your money.
    've only had one Chysler vehicle and it turned out to be one of the best cars I ever had. I still wax nostalgic about it to this day

Our business had an old caravan (Late '80's?) 4 cyl. and that thing ran forever. I think it had about 250K on it when it was either totaled or junked (can't remember)
    but I'd take a '57 Ford over a '57 Chevy today

My brother had a "56 Ford. That was a handsome car and IMO better looking than the "56 Chevy, and I owned one of the latter.
    My Dad really liked those '71 and '72 Chevelle Sport Coupes like the one in that commercial. He hemmed and hawed and took forever to decide on buying a new car though. He waited too long and saw the '73 Chevelle...and was largely disappointed. On Oct. 6, 1972 we bought a new '73 Nova coupe, 6-cyl., 3-speed on the floor, no power anything, but AM radio, Rally Wheels, whitewalls and the Exterior Decor Group. Sticker bottom line, including destination, was only $2,625!

At the risk of getting yelled at for this not being 'current GM product', here's the first commercial for the Camaro. It's funny by today's standards--so dramatic, but that's how I remember new-car introductions being back then. Matter of fact, I should check this, but I remember looking at Camaros on the evening they were introduced. I seem to remember them coming out a couple weeks before the other '67 Chevys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOt08dgcg
    A '56 Ford is just gorgeous, and probably my favorite Ford of all. I agree.
    How about those 1956 Crown Victorias with the chrome band across the roof.
    I've looked at those on ebay motors with semi-somewhat-possible intentions to buy one.
    I know it's none of my business, but please buy one without skirts and continental kit! ;)
    I've seen some in the last few days with nice big tires and wheels that fill the wheel openings. I'll assume they were LTZ's.

Frankly, I'll look forward to the '14 Impala/'13 Traverse-like grille they're supposed to put on the revamped version. I like the rear, think the profile is OK (though not as nice as the '12 IMHO), and I do like that you can get them with side moldings, which for some reason cars in commercials and mag reviews never show. Except for the tighter rear seat, I like the interior and instrument panel...in fact, I like it better than the previous car for looks/feel.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,400
    Stay focused on the current car, OW. Vaunted CR felt, apparently, the lower-priced model was better engineered than the lower-line Optima. My guess is that next year it'll be 'recommended'.

Seems the Lower-Line Optima was Recomended but not the Impal or Malibu. Fact!

In the meantime, at least people with short back-seat riders should see some excellent buys before the CR hangers-on find out!

I don't buy CR, but thumb through it for free. What is your take on Hyundai's black dots and why do you think that Kia (apparently) is better when they are the same company? Honest question.

Same reason Buick has better reliability than GMC. :)

Regards,
    OW
    Buick and GMC don't share any product, do they--other than a single SUV? Rather apples and oranges.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    I think a very distinct difference is people need to move on from their 1995 or older experiences.

But it bothers me wholeheartedly that Chrysler kept selling the Neon model well into the 21st Century. They sold them to unsuspecting customers in '96, '97, '98, '99, '00 and beyond.

Why they didn't cancel the factories and vehicle after one to two years of dismal results is beyond me.

I suppose it has something to do with the UAW getting paid whether they make garbage or not.
    edited February 2013
    I like the black and white. I'd pass on the continental tire but I don't mind the skirts:

Geez, that's pretty. Now that I think about it, the skirts might have been standard on a Crown Victoria. They're not bad, like those aftermarket ones that go the whole way to the back bumper!

As the cars got older--way older--I remember seeing them around without the headlight rims, and the chrome 'banjo' like trim on the taillights would come off. I have no idea if this is actually for real or not, but I remember my uncle saying that the headlight rims were only held on by one screw.

I don't recall '56 Fords rusting out over the headlights like '56 Chevys do. That said, I'd be proud to have either in my garage.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,305
    My dad's first new car was a 56 Crown Vic - odd choice for a kid in the air force. It was some kind of leftover, and according to him was a special order single tone black car, never seen one like that in real life.
    But it bothers me wholeheartedly that Chrysler kept selling the Neon model well into the 21st Century. They sold them to unsuspecting customers in '96, '97, '98, '99, '00 and beyond.

To this day, in snowy, salty NE OH, I bet I see the second-generation Neons a few times a week. Most don't look bad, either. I haven't seen a first-gen in quite a while. I think that says that at least they (second-gen Neons) are cheap to keep up. I also still see a ton of '96-02 Cavalier coupes around, most looking OK too. But then, those were built not far from here, unlike the Neons.