Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Mid Hudson Valley.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,320
    edited January 2013
    Maybe the Dart (being a name that was used before) has more negative historical reliability than the other retro names that were brought back like the Challenger/Charger.

Your comparative youth is showing. Darts' reputation was that they were bulletproof--and this from a GM guy.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    Mid Hudson Valley.

Oops! I'm confusing you with somebody else (maybe Andres?). I also know gagrice is east of San Diego.

We seem to have the east coast, the midwest (OH/MI), CA, and WA (fintail) represented. Not much from the western plains states.
    There are no western plains states, that's the Rockies. Unless you're thinking Nevada, but people near Las Vegas and Reno have better things to sit in front of than computers. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Dart had a great rep but I'm afraid that doesn't help, since today's Dart would be attracting a younger buyer. Unless he/she asks grandpa to recommend a car. :shades:

My father-in-law LOVED his Dart.

Funny thing is I think they're cool. I like the big touch screen and the red detailing on the new GT, maybe that'll help sales:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/08/2013-dart-gt-will-hold-us-over-until-srt-stok- es-dodges-handsome/
    Wait, you mean names from the 60s don't have positive equity today? :shades:
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,158
    lol, between the "Standard of the World" Cadillac ads and "New class of World Class" arrogance of Government Motors, I'm surprised they didn't just go with:

Chevy: "We rule, everything else sux"

Maybe I'm reading too many GM message boards... :D
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, the positive equity had faded.

Still better than Omni, Neon, Caliber, though. Those had negative equity associated with their names.

GLHS excepted.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,885
    edited January 2013
    What I described is a significant amount of the demo, and also someone here who constantly whines about things appealing to younger people. Deal with this fact: you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man. Seems like someone is bitter about youth.

Generalize away, so long as it has a basis in reality. I like that MB generally has conservative styling and doesn't have as douchetastic a clientele as the other Germans - I don't mind a car that looks boring but doesn't drive boring.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    Your comparative youth is showing. Darts' reputation was that they were bulletproof--and this from a GM guy.

Yes, a slant 6 Dart was the equivalent of a tank, and a slant 6 would run forever.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

The Dart name was out of circulation for so long that an entire generation practically never saw one on the road. Those folks more likely translated compact Mopar with Neon and Omni, which weren't anywhere near the dart in reliability or durability.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    There are no western plains states, that's the Rockies. Unless you're thinking Nevada, but people near Las Vegas and Reno have better things to sit in front of than computers

I meant places like CO/KS/NE/OK. They're west compared with MI/OH.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,575
    Well, the positive equity had faded.

I think the Dart at least went out on a high note, though. I remember one publication testing the 1975 compacts, and they said the Dart seemed more like a well-preserved 1965 car than it did a brand-new car. However, they added that with the way the 70's were turning out, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing!

The Aspen and Volare, which replaced the Dart and Valiant, sent Chrysler's reputation down the toilet. Although to be fair later models weren't too bad, and some of the derivatives of the 80's, such as the Gran Fury/Diplomat and New Yorker/5th Avenue, were some of the most rugged, durable domestics produced in the 80's.

Was the Caliber really *that* bad? I drove one once, and while it did nothing for me, I didn't think it was horrible. I think where Chrysler messed up though, was only offering it as sort of a hatchback/crossover. It essentially competed with the likes of the Focus wagon, Matrix and, to a degree, Chrysler's own PT Cruiser. They really should have offered a sedan version as well, since that's what seems to be the volume seller these days in the compact ranges.
    And all those cars were in the same 'box' on that page with the 1LT Malibu? You know what I'm talking about if you have the magazine. I think you know some of those will have to come out of your, ahem, assessment.
    edited January 2013
    Someone here certainly does seem sour today.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Subaru customers have no desire for an FF Subaru

Well, I'll give you 3 out of 4. :) Something like a high GC FWD 40mpg wagon could be a nice option. Guess they'd really have to stick a Toyota name on it or the Crew would storm the NJ home office. :shades:

33 pages of new Vette pics anyone? The engine shots are pretty neat - they're all the way toward the end.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Picture Gallery
    Thank you for posting something newsworthy and not the same old thing.

Even haters gotta say, 'who else builds anything like it? ...and particularly with that content at that price?'
    Neither rain nor snow nor Hurricane Sandy will stop Subaru fans from invading Cherry Hill, NJ. They all drive Subarus, you know. :shades:

Generally people who want FF cars don't shop Subaru. Mazda makes a better FF car anyway. Subaru makes excellent FR-style AWD cars based on boxer engines.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    edited January 2013
    And all those cars were in the same 'box' on that page with the 1LT Malibu?

I only have access to the website. My post was based on the overall scores of family sedans which the all of the cars I mentioned are part of including the Malibu.

For the record you're correct about the Malibu 1lt scoring higher than the Passat, Altima 4cyl, and Kia Optima 2.4.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Deal with this fact: you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.

Very true, and I know some old people who don't think they're old enough for an old man's car.