Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    That's not surprising and is needed.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584
    At least nowadays they're able to halt production for a bit. Back in the day, they would have simply kept those assembly lines rolling, dumped a bunch into fleets, and piled on the incentives to keep them moving off of dealer lots.
    At least nowadays they're able to halt production for a bit. Back in the day, they would have simply kept those assembly lines rolling, dumped a bunch into fleets, and piled on the incentives to keep them moving off of dealer lots.

That's for sure.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,346
    edited February 2013
    Growing up about 40 miles from Lordstown, I seem to remember 'down times' to 'correct' inventories, even 'back in the day'. When Lordstown hiccupped, it was on area TV then.

I know Studebaker frequently laid off when inventories swelled.
    edited February 2013
    I'm sure for a variety of reasons, it seems like GM just used more rebates and fleet dumping to attempt to move excess inventory. But the GM of the 90's and 2000's was far different than the GM of the 60's and early 70's. For one thing they didn't have nearly as many retirees to support.

Currently the auto industry is not in a downturn, sales have been increasing for 3 years straight and is looking to have the best year since 07. Yet GM finds itself with to much inventory? None of the other major manufacturers appear to have that problem.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll probably stay away until Toyota and Honda start using them in mass

Acura just dropped the turbo from the RDX, choosing a big V6 instead. Ironically it's more fuel efficient, too.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,346
    edited February 2013
    I've said this before, but as a customer, this doesn't bother me. It means good prices. I won't buy a car at sticker price--never have in 32 years, don't want to start now. But I get your point.

I know that in the past few years, I've often heard when this maker or another was closing down to 'correct inventories'. GM may have the biggest inventory now, but it hasn't been a uniquely GM thing, even in the fairly recent past.
    Toyota just launched the Plug-in Prius, wonder how demand is for that one?

We have to give it a year and then see how inventory levels are. Basically below 60 days is good, above that means sales aren't meeting forecasts.
  • PiP finished out 2012 #2 in sales apparently but January was quite a bit down from December and fell back to #3.

Model S: 1,200
    Volt: 1,140
    Prius Plug-in: 874
    Leaf: 600

January 2013 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

Plug in has also not fully lanched in all 50 states so numbers should improve...
    M may have the biggest inventory now, but it hasn't been a uniquely GM thing, even in the fairly recent past.

GM inventories have been a problem for several years. Why would GM have significantly more inventory than Ford? This is not a recent issue. For the past several years GM has had significantly more days supply than Ford or Chrysler.

I would expect the the Detroit automakers having more supply than other makes due to pickups. But when you break it down by model, GM consistently has nearly double the inventory.

I've said this before, but as a customer, this doesn't bother me.

If you prefer GM vehicles it should concern you a little, if GM can't make a profit they won't be around. Oh wait....
    Oh, I'm sure ZDX inventories are probably worse than Malibu. Guessing the FJ cruiser as well.

Let me see if I can check....bingo, as of Jan 1, here are some that stood out for oversupply:

Dart - 141 days
    Fiat 500 - 125
    Regal - 124
    Ridgeline - 119
    Insight - 176
    CR-Z - 235 (da-ha-haaaang!)
    ZDX - 156 (told ya so)
    ILX - 136 (overpriced)
    Sonic - 106
    Malibu - 129
    Corvette - 109 (the old model)
    Camaro - 135
    All Cadillac cars are over 100, average for Caddy cars is 121
    Mazda6 - 115
    Miata - 117
    iMiev - 259 (all Mitsus over 100 they are in real trouble)
    VW averages 106 days, but I know diesels are much less
    Volvo C30 at 132 days, S80 at 113

I was wrong about the FJ, they must limit supply.

So Malibu is high but not an extreme case, many others are in far more trouble.
    edited February 2013
    Toyota did not list each model individually, but the brand only has 38 days supply so no real issue with oversupply.

Overall GM has 76 days, but a year ago they had 106 days.

That's a rather huge improvement. They're learning.

Subaru, BMW, and Hyundai/Kia have the shortest supply and simply cannot build their cars fast enough. That's not a positive - they lack capacity, it's a missed opportunity.
    Some of those sell in such small numbers that if each dealer had one, it likely would result in a huge days of supply.

The Malibu stands out because it sells in relative high volumes.

Impressive that Ford manages to keep off the list. The Flex and all of the Lincolns hardly sell at all.
    Dart's the one really in trouble.

I sat in one at the auto show and was not impressed. Gotta duck to get in that back seat, and the seats aren't very good.
    Overall GM has 76 days, but a year ago they had 106 days.

Interesting, Wards Auto gas GM at 95 days supply as of January 2013 and Ford at 85, Chrysler 87, Honda 77, Toyota 57, Hyundai 58, and VW at 95.
    End of January, or beginning? A lot can change in a month.

They also may be measuring differently (at dealers, en route, do they count demos?).

I sorted by volume, F series has the most, then Silverado, then Ram, then Sierra, as we'd expect.

Malibu does have the highest supply among cars (57,900), and Cruze is 2nd, but the Accord is not far behind (52,500), Civic also (52,000).
    Dart's the one really in trouble.

That's a tough market, lots of good small cars to choose from and I don't think the Dart really stands out.

I wonder how these inventories are calculated? Is it inventory still at the manufacturers facilities or does it include dealer inventories. Looking at dealer inventories, GM is just loaded compared to Ford in general.
    Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing (check my previous post).
    End of January, or beginning? A lot can change in a month.

I can't say for sure, but they always post the previous months data at the beginning of the following month, so if I were to guess it would be data from the months close. So that definitely could make a big difference.