Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The fed there is supporting loans for autos so more than you might expect.

Car sales have outpaced infrastructure/roads improvements, so congestion is the big problem. That's why even a 7 seater like the Spin gets a tiny, fuel efficient engine.

Cost is less than half what an Equinox would cost (imported).
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,774
    "Awkward" is a way to describe it.

You're being charitable. I'd call it ugly.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,979
    I wonder if GM made any money on the Vega considering how much warranty work they must have spent.

Probably. Remember warranties were only 12/12 back then.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited November 2012
    Money may well have been made on the Vega model, and cars like it and the Pinto, but the dissatisfaction they created in the buying public had to go a long way in tempting formerly loyal big-3 buyers to take a look that the arriving Japanese competition.

There's no real way to quantify it, but I'd bet good money that if all the aspects could be compiled, cars like the Vega and Pinto were indeed money making profit centers, but major league money / sales losers for GM and Ford over the long run.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Probably. Remember warranties were only 12/12 back then.

No, I don't remember 12/12 warranties.... you've just dated yourself :P :surprise:

It's okay, not everyone can by young and energetic ;)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Hell, in the '50's, warranties were 90 days or 4,000 miles!

I definitely remember when GM reverted from either 3/36 or 5/50 back to 12 mos./12K miles, for the '71 model year. My Dad was miffed.

Even into the '80's, I think that's all they were, with powertrain being 2/24--at least at GM.

GM warrantied Vega front fenders after 12/12, and as mentioned previous, for '76 and '77 models warrantied the engine for 5 yrs./60K miles, which nobody else did then.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    V8 Vega which could be had for only $3995.+TTL

V8 Vega
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,198
    There was also the Cosworth Vega:

That's actually a good looking car for the time.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/02/hyundai-kia-admit-exaggerated-mileage-claims-- will-compensate-o/

Circle dub can expect a check back from Kia for probably close to $100 or so.
    Our dealer got exactly one Cosworth Vega in...serial no. 372 which is now owned by a longtime acquaintance. I was 17 then, and a salesman friend of mine took me and a buddy on a thrill ride over 'West Main Hill' out into the country with it. I remember saying "this thing is fast" and the salesman, Claude, replying, "Hell, I'm still in third gear".

They weren't fast by today's standards, but they were fast for a four, good-looking, and collectible today (though not bringing huge money). The sticker was $6,300 and it was eventually sold to a little old lady who worked at Thiel College...no s**t. She traded in a '72 Nova six for it and the salesman, who was my Dad's salesman, said that 'it reminded her of her husband's old Corvair'. She could barely see over the wheel. One day while parked in our library parking lot, an acquaintance went over and tapped on the fenders and realized she was sitting in it! She was amused. That guy owns the car now as she passed and it went through two or three other owners before being traded in the '90's at a Chevy dealer fifteen miles away, on a used Corvette. He bought it there. BTW, the $6,300 sticker price was down to $4,800 before her trade, according to the paperwork that came with the car when the current owner bought it.
    Tsk-tsk on HyunKia.
    Also happened with the Honda Civic hybrid, though laywers got billions and owners got $100 coupons if and only if they bought another new Honda, LOL.

Wonder how much the lawyers are getting this time? At least owners get something.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,472
    >exaggerated mileage claims by Kia.

WHAT? They aren't 100% the perfect cars? Amazing.

Just saw one getting great mileage today: Kia Optima sitting along I-75 with its flashers going. No driver. No movement. Great gas mileage!

A few days ago saw an Optima on a flatbed truck being helped back to the garage.

Is there a problem with these Kias?
  • a 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. Built ta take on BMW at its best!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

No, it's a fuel saving feature meant to reduce your environmental footprint. ;)
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/october-2012-brewing-storm-edition/

Kia was up 13% but Hyundai reported their first drop in 2 years.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,774
    WHAT? They aren't 100% the perfect cars? Amazing.

Now imid, you just KNOW that all brands except GM are perfect. :P ;)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,472
    >all brands except GM are perfect.

Exactly my point. Why are these cars having troubles? They're the perfect ones.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Had to see this coming, they had too many models that simply couldn't make their numbers unless they happened to be press vehicles.

GM. Toyota, Ford, etc etc have been criticized, and rightly so, for designing to the EPA tests and/or making it hard to reach the numbers in any situation outside of the EPA test. But it looks like they outright fudged the tests intentionally, though they're not admitting that they fudged them with the objective of a 40 MPG rating (the idea was to "ensure accuracy hah!).
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    "........ On a media conference call, Hyundai and Kia attributed the discrepancies to "honest mistakes" and "human error" during in-house fuel economy evaluations"

Like their cars, you get what you pay for!!!!
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    Like their cars, you get what you pay for!!!!

That would be an improvement over the GM vehicles I've had.

That would be an improvement over the GM vehicles I've had.

Exactly! With the Korean brands, you get what you pay for, lower initial cheap costs, and perhaps some extra hassles and decreased fuel economy down the road.

With the US brands, it seems you pay top dollar and get bottom feeding product.
    My '11 Malibu 4/6AT was rated at 33 mpg highway. Put 250 highway miles on it yesterday, with speeds of 75-80. 33.4 mpg.

I do remember having a discussing with circle a few months ago, that MT got only 20 or 21 mpg with their Optima, and he was arguing that the EPA rating was 37. THAT is quite a difference.
    Consumer Reports also reports real world mileage which is more trustworthy and accurate than the EPA numbers, but I have a feeling the car mags other than CR will give better indications of real world mileage for a driver that likes to drive spiritedly.
    I do remember having a discussing with circle a few months ago, that MT got only 20 or 21 mpg with their Optima, and he was arguing that the EPA rating was 37. THAT is quite a difference.

That's what MT got out of a '13 2.5 powered Malibu in this months family car comparison.

Granted they weren't testing highway mileage, but calculated the mileage during the entire evaluation.
    I have a feeling the car mags other than CR will give better indications of real world mileage for a driver that likes to drive spiritedly.

I agree. My wife has averaged about 25mpg over the 35k miles she's put on her '11 Taurus. When I drive it, the average will easily drop 5+mpg.
    With the US brands, it seems you pay top dollar and get bottom feeding product.

With that statement, it is crystal clear to me how long it's been since you've actually shopped a domestic brand for price. I'm not talking sticker...I'm talking about what you can actually buy for if you're even the remotest negotiator.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    If they come off of sticker that easily then something is wrong with the sticker pricing. They aren't priced properly to move product, and coming down off of MSRP makes it much more likely they they AREN'T making money off of them, and they're just trying to get them off the lots before they cost even more money.

BTW, Ford seems less inclined to move off of MSRP than GM and Dodge around here. Not quite as glued to MSRP as Subaru (this IS the northeast after all) but pretty close.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    Hundai and Kia.... The two companies that just admitted to lying about gas mileage numbers. You can do well lying to Americans so why not? 34 mpgs....5.5 million new jobs.