Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 7milehi7milehi Posts: 28
    What type of incentives can one expect for the 08 Taurus around August or September? Often when the new year models come out the big rebates show up on the prior year models.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I would guess that the rebate available then will be at least as good as the present $2000 rebate. A local dealer is advertising 2008 Tauri at $6500 off MSRP (this may include rebates that not everyone will qualify for.)
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    If I recall correctly, last year they also had "zero" % financing for up tp 60 months.
    When I bought my 2008 Sable in January, There was a $2400 rebate, or I could have gotten a 2.9% loan if I gave up $2000 of the rebate. You usually cannot get low cost financing in addition to all of the rebates.
    Is there a dealer like Fitzgerald that sells Ford/Mercury? A dealership that has rock bottom no haggle, no hidden fee internet prices.
    Has anyone bought a new Ford from Dale Jarrett Ford? They are advertising $7000 off msrp on new 2008 Taurus. My local dealer said there had to be a hidden gimmick in this price because he couldn't match it. He said if I could get a 08 Taurus for $7000 off msrp plus tax,tags & a reasonable doc fee I'd better jump on the deal.
    I think the $7000 off includes some rebates (military, etc) which most won't qualify. Also, there are some add-ons (pin striping, etc.) that boost the MSRP. The doc fee is $599. I shopped by there in January, but ended up buying a Mercury Sable, which had the features I wanted, about 30 miles away.
  • I purchased a 2008 Taurus, Ltd from Chris Auffenberg Ford in Washington, MO 63090. Sticker priced was $24,725. Purchase price was $19,000. I have been very pleased with this transaction, both from the standpoint of price and consideration received during the purchase. I have bought cars from them before and have always received courteous and honest treatment. They have also always provided me with excellent service on my vehicles. Their mechanical and body works in their shops have always been of the highest quality.
    Rom Buescher
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A Taurus Limited has a sticker of $27,620. Is yours an SEL?
  • marye1marye1 Posts: 3
    The dealership is the largest Ford dealerships in our area - Robinson Bros in Baton Rouge LA. While we were there (under 3 hours total including test drive), only maybe three other couples were there in sales rooms, and a handful outside looking. It was dead zone. But, that could be because it was the middle of the month. Or, things are looking bad for Ford, or car buying right now.
    Whatever. I had the most professional young lady sales person, who didn't apply pressure -- she really knew her product and let the car sell itself. My husband went there first, last Sat and looked at the car alone, then I went alone, and today we finally got there together. She was patient with us on all three occasions. Even today when I was trying to make my mind up between the Merlot and White. I'm glad I decided on the white. It's a striking car.
    Even the finance mgr was wonderful. They had an internet price which equalled invoice. Options were: Leather, Sirus, Sync, reverse sensor and interior convenience pkg.
    I believe these folks have to eat too, so I'm happy paying invoice. As I stated, the finance mgr was amazing. He made offers of various insurances and warranties but didn't push. Aside from the price of the car, tax (which at 9% is a killer), title and license -- not one other extra charge was added on. Title and license were right at $200, which is very normal. No mop n glo, no pressure. A totally refreshing, almost surreal experience. I feel like I got a good deal, and didn't have to suffer a stroke with anyone over price. Of course, I didn't have a trade in and that helped.

We did get the 0% financing. I am thrilled about that beyond words.

I love this car. I was concerned about the gas mileage, but I'd rather be safe in a larger car. Also, my husband is very tall and simply can't fit in the small cars. Even not broken in, we averaged 19 mpg driving around town after the purchase. :)
    Currently appears to have a $500 rebate, so wiggling $500 under invoice still leaves them their 2-4% holdback.
    Mine had a $750 rebate because I chose the 0% financing. It is $2000 if you don't use FMC, and $2750 if you use FMC, but don't get the low apr.
    Holdback? Let them have their 2 to 4 %. I don't negotiate on holdback. In my experience, that only sets up a hostile negotiation, therefore an even more miserable buying experience. I'm happy with the deal.
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    Glad to hear you like your new car. We have around 6K on ours now, and if you drive conservatively and don't speed, over 30 MPG on the highway is quite doable.

We live in a very hilly city, so MPG in town has been around 17-22 lately depending on how much hill climbing is being done.
    Thanks for the mpg info. We are in La, so totally flat terrain here. I've been averaging 20 mpg city, so I'm happy.

More on the price: One thing that did influence my not negotiating further on the price was that this car had just arrived there in March. It was only one of three on the lot with Sync, that also happened to be in the color and exact options I wanted.
    I am very happy (lucky) they already had it on special. Otherwise, I might have not negotiated as well. My husband is NOT a good negotiator at all. He is happy with a few hundred off MSRP. :confuse:
    I on the other hand, am usually not tied emotionally to any car enough to be beaten down. I've negotiated till happy, and then got up to walk away when they try to get me with the mop n glo or overdone doc fees. This time was so refreshing, it was surreal.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Posts: 3
    Since I commute in Atlanta 80 miles roundtrip each day, I had been driving a 98 Mercury Grand Marquis which averaged 24 MPG. This weekend the heater coil went out (coolant smelling smoke coming out of the vent) and I didn't want to pay $1000 to fix it. Fortunately, over the past few months I have been researching and test driving cars, because I had to act fast. After visiting one dealer who did have much of a selection, I visited another who had a used 2008 Taurus Limited with 27K miles for $16,900. While test driving that car, they test drove my Mercury. When they got back, I noticed a river of coolant flowing under my Mercury. I was stuck, I had to buy a car from this dealer, no way I could drive it off the lot.

I ended up getting from that dealer a new Taurus SEL with leather, adj pedals, sirius, interior convenience package, back up sensors, etc. with a sticker of $26,395 for $4000 off invoice. The car now has 625 miles on it and the trip computer is showing it is averaging 26.5 MPG on 80% highway driving 60-65 mph with the A/C on. It would probably be higher if not for those stupid ramp meters which made me creep along for about 20 minutes right after I filled it up and reset the computer. My insurance only went up $100/yr.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the dealers were did not have much of a selection of Tauruses and Sables. One salesman told me that this is the time of year that they stop production on the 08's and start building 09's. If that is the case, people who expect to wait until September to take advantage of the "year end clearance sales" may be disappointed to find that the 08's sold out over the summer. If you are looking to buy, now might be the best time.
    I've had a hard time finding Tauri as well, although one dealer told us they expect a shipment next week, including something like eleven vehicles.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Posts: 3
    "Tauruses" or "Tauri". Somebody once posted in the Vent of the Atlanta paper "If I have two Lexus vehicles, do i have "two Lexuses" or "two Lexi"? Someone responded, "what you have are two Toyotas, buddy."
    Haha, great answer.

I think its safe to say "Tauruses," I just call them "Tauri" in fun, or when speaking in person, otherwise, all those esses (Ss?) could lead to some serious spitting! :)
    I'm waiting to hear back on a quote for a base model SEL Taurus, brand new.

What should I expect? $2000 rebate, I know. We're hoping for $20,000 before taxes.
    Latest quote: Taurus SEL, Convenience Package, Leather, Sync

MSRP $26,615
    OTD Quote $22,000 (taxes are a little over $900)
    Town & Country Ford in Bessemer, Alabama - they've been great so far!

Another dealer (Long-Lewis Ford) offered base SEL Tauruses with no options for $20,000 + tax (amounting to near $20,900). The better-equipped one is actually the better deal. Approximately $2,300 worth of extra equipment for only $1,100 more than the base model at the competing dealership.