Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Currently appears to have a $500 rebate, so wiggling $500 under invoice still leaves them their 2-4% holdback.
  • marye1marye1 Posts: 3
    Mine had a $750 rebate because I chose the 0% financing. It is $2000 if you don't use FMC, and $2750 if you use FMC, but don't get the low apr.
    Holdback? Let them have their 2 to 4 %. I don't negotiate on holdback. In my experience, that only sets up a hostile negotiation, therefore an even more miserable buying experience. I'm happy with the deal.
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    Glad to hear you like your new car. We have around 6K on ours now, and if you drive conservatively and don't speed, over 30 MPG on the highway is quite doable.

We live in a very hilly city, so MPG in town has been around 17-22 lately depending on how much hill climbing is being done.
  • marye1marye1 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the mpg info. We are in La, so totally flat terrain here. I've been averaging 20 mpg city, so I'm happy.

More on the price: One thing that did influence my not negotiating further on the price was that this car had just arrived there in March. It was only one of three on the lot with Sync, that also happened to be in the color and exact options I wanted.
    I am very happy (lucky) they already had it on special. Otherwise, I might have not negotiated as well. My husband is NOT a good negotiator at all. He is happy with a few hundred off MSRP. :confuse:
    I on the other hand, am usually not tied emotionally to any car enough to be beaten down. I've negotiated till happy, and then got up to walk away when they try to get me with the mop n glo or overdone doc fees. This time was so refreshing, it was surreal.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Posts: 3
    Since I commute in Atlanta 80 miles roundtrip each day, I had been driving a 98 Mercury Grand Marquis which averaged 24 MPG. This weekend the heater coil went out (coolant smelling smoke coming out of the vent) and I didn't want to pay $1000 to fix it. Fortunately, over the past few months I have been researching and test driving cars, because I had to act fast. After visiting one dealer who did have much of a selection, I visited another who had a used 2008 Taurus Limited with 27K miles for $16,900. While test driving that car, they test drove my Mercury. When they got back, I noticed a river of coolant flowing under my Mercury. I was stuck, I had to buy a car from this dealer, no way I could drive it off the lot.

I ended up getting from that dealer a new Taurus SEL with leather, adj pedals, sirius, interior convenience package, back up sensors, etc. with a sticker of $26,395 for $4000 off invoice. The car now has 625 miles on it and the trip computer is showing it is averaging 26.5 MPG on 80% highway driving 60-65 mph with the A/C on. It would probably be higher if not for those stupid ramp meters which made me creep along for about 20 minutes right after I filled it up and reset the computer. My insurance only went up $100/yr.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the dealers were did not have much of a selection of Tauruses and Sables. One salesman told me that this is the time of year that they stop production on the 08's and start building 09's. If that is the case, people who expect to wait until September to take advantage of the "year end clearance sales" may be disappointed to find that the 08's sold out over the summer. If you are looking to buy, now might be the best time.
    I've had a hard time finding Tauri as well, although one dealer told us they expect a shipment next week, including something like eleven vehicles.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Posts: 3
    "Tauruses" or "Tauri". Somebody once posted in the Vent of the Atlanta paper "If I have two Lexus vehicles, do i have "two Lexuses" or "two Lexi"? Someone responded, "what you have are two Toyotas, buddy."
    Haha, great answer.

I think its safe to say "Tauruses," I just call them "Tauri" in fun, or when speaking in person, otherwise, all those esses (Ss?) could lead to some serious spitting! :)
    I'm waiting to hear back on a quote for a base model SEL Taurus, brand new.

What should I expect? $2000 rebate, I know. We're hoping for $20,000 before taxes.
    Latest quote: Taurus SEL, Convenience Package, Leather, Sync

MSRP $26,615
    OTD Quote $22,000 (taxes are a little over $900)
    Town & Country Ford in Bessemer, Alabama - they've been great so far!

Another dealer (Long-Lewis Ford) offered base SEL Tauruses with no options for $20,000 + tax (amounting to near $20,900). The better-equipped one is actually the better deal. Approximately $2,300 worth of extra equipment for only $1,100 more than the base model at the competing dealership.
    Hi all. My folks purchased their new Ford Taurus SEL today. It is equipped with leather, the convenience package (Auto Headlamps, Power Driver's Seat, Dual Climate Control, 6CD/MP3), SYNC, and Sirius Radio. MSRP - $26,615.

First, the pricing.

Was given an initial offer of $22,000 Out the Door, and after passing it on to my folks, they were happy with that. No negotiating necessary. The breakdown on pricing looks like this:

2008 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Birch over Stone, 21 miles on the vehicle.

MSRP : $26,615
    Dealer Price : $24,844
    Customer Cash : - $2,000
    Manufacturer to Dealer Cash : -$2,000
    Doc Fee - $199
    TTL - $957

APR - 4.54% (Fantastic Credit)

Final Price - $22,000 OTD
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Sounds like your folks got a great deal. Haven't had a chance to drive one yet but the vehicle sounds intriguing as I'm looking for a vehicle that can handle putting a wheelchair in without having to take it apart.
    The best part was that there was no haggling whatsoever. I called my dealer, and was asking if it'd be possible to get out the door on a base model for $20,000; since they had a more loaded model, he offered 22k, and we immediately accepted.

Nobody had mentioned that there was $2,000 factory to dealer cash to play with, on top of the $2,000 rebate.
  • oralbertroralbertr Posts: 9
    The dealer is offering $2K off MSRP, plus $2000 in Ford-to-customer rebates ($1500 + $500 from Ford Credit).

So for 2008 Taurus FWD SEL with MSRP of $26,615, the price from them will be:

$26,615
    - $2000
    - $2000
    --------------
    $22,615
    + TAX
    + $115 Doc fee
    + $45 Title & Registration

Does it sound reasonable or they are trying to rip me off?
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    The Graduate posted (post # 45 above) the following: In other words you should get $4000 off Invoice not MSRP. It looks like he bought the same car/options you are looking at.(Ford is giving the dealers $2000 in addition to the $2000 customer rebate on each car.)

2008 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Birch over Stone, 21 miles on the vehicle.

MSRP : $26,615
    Dealer Price : $24,844
    Customer Cash : - $2,000
    Manufacturer to Dealer Cash : -$2,000
    Doc Fee - $199
    TTL - $957

APR - 4.54% (Fantastic Credit)

Final Price - $22,000 OTD
    I know that there was dealer cash (not rebates) through June 30, but I don't know if it carried through to July or not.
    Local ford dealer seems to insist that there's no manufacturer-to-dealer cash on 2008 Taurus which they are aware of.... Are they trying to take me for a ride?...

-albertr
    I know there WAS cash until June 30th. Ford may not have extended it into July; I honestly don't know, since our deal was done before that went away three weeks ago.

Sorry I'm not more help. My only suggestion is to try and beat the price with a different dealer. Request a no-haggle quote with the price-broken down into their price for the Car - Rebates + TTL.
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! Just trying to see if anyone knows about current ford-2-dealer cashbacks...

-albertr
    This forum stays pretty quiet (trust me, I was in the same boat you were a little while ago! Hopefully more people will wake up!

Feel free to check out the mainstream large sedans comparison as well. It has a lot of owners of Tauruses and its competitors.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Posts: 50
    Looking at both the Taurus and Sable. Best research indicates a $1500 rebate, $500 Bonus cash and $2000 owner loyalty cash if you own a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln. Also, the metro ATL area now has lots of off-rental 2008 Taurus being advertised in the high-teens, very low-twenty's. Seems like a lot of car for the money, was ready to pull the trigger on a Mazda 6 but the Taurus offers much more room, power and refinement for about the same $$$.
    Rental abuse is the only thing in question. When my folks could get a brand-new Taurus, similarly optioned to an off-rental 20k mile Taurus, for only $3,000 more, they took the new one in a heartbeat.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    Dale Jarrett Ford near Charlottre NC is advertising the 2008 Taurus at $7000 off MSRP on their web page. Just Google Dale Jarrett Ford and click on specials.
    There is fine print hocus pocus that would take some of that away. (Military, College, etc rebates.)
    As far as the Ford to dealer cash, it may be date, regional or specific dealer related. I suspect the above $7000 off contains some Ford to dealer cash.
  • abaltabalt Posts: 4
    ...with 22,700 miles and moon roof for $17,600 + ttl.

Sweet Ride!
  • Hi, Iam having a problem with the fuel pump. A family mechanic replaced the Constant Control relay module after he checked the inertia switch in the trunk campartment. After installing the new (CCRM) he said the problem might be with the fuel pump and said he would check on a new one. Iam a hvac mechanic and decided to do some checking of my own and determined that the fuel pump is good by running a hot wire from the + post to the wire out of the inertia switch leading to fuel pump and the pump works fine. I did a (contanuity check on wiring from disconnected harnes at CCRM and dedermined a complete circuit from CCRM thru inertia switch back to the harnes) on floor board by driver side door. the other side of this harnes leads to the fuel pump. Iam getting voltage thru circuit but the fuel pump will not energize.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,161
    Hi, csoria.. This forum is to discuss Taurus pricing.. It looks like you found a discussion related to your fuel pump problem. You'll probably have better luck getting an answer there.

If that doesn't work, you might try, Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Good luck!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Just bought the subject car last night in order to get the $1,500 incentive plus additional $2,000 bonus cash for cars invoiced prior to May 1 2008, both of which expired yesterday. But this morning I see they combined the two into one $3,500 incentive which runs to early November. At least my dealer gave me $500 below invoice so in total I got around $5,750 off sticker. MSRP was $26,970 and I got it for $21,200.

On the ride home the car was extremely quiet and soft over bumps, but handling is not as crisp as my Tribute or my old '99 Contour. I guess that's to be expected.
    Sounds somewhat similar to the deal my folks received. $6,000 off of sticker (there was $2,000 Customer cash and $2,000 Dealer incentive cash) back at the end of May. They have an SEL with convenience package, leather, and Sync. I believe they paid $22,000 out the door (Tax, Fees included).
  • I just bought a new 08 Merlot SEL Taurus with Sync (the only option) for $15,800 from military car sales. That is no TT&L as I am overseas. I actually paid $17,490 with shipping to Germany and their handling fees and stupid Ziebart ($469) plan because they stick it on before leaving from the States and you have no choice. The offered me the 7/75K protection plan for $850 but I declined.

I feel it's not a bad deal at all. They had two 08 models and I almost bought both, the other is silver.
  • Looking at an 08 SEL with ESC (pre-owned with 2,300 miles) offered at 19K in NY metro area..
    It doesn't seem as if anyone is buying this car, though I think it's a damn good one for the money. Any comments on this offer will be appreciated.