Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Why did you pay over invoice?
  • So What would you pay for yours? Are you suggesting ours is not a good deal? Get real. We got the Costco price minus $500 early order rebate, and 0% saves a lot.
    And most importantly, we got what we exactly what we want.
  • dturr, agreed on the interior.

I can't believe some reviewers are giving such high praise to the Taurus, as I found the interior really tacky and cheap in a lot of ways. The dash is way too big and the gauges way too garish, and the plastic faux chrome is cheesy.

At least some reviewers like Healy in USA Today is calling a spade a spade and giving a muted review of the Taurus, basically saying it's okay, but expensive for what you get.

I find the fit and finish to be much better on mid-sized cars, mainly imports, costing 6k to 9k less than the Taurus.

On top of everything else, the Taurus with 19" wheels rides horribly, and dealers have cars that are basically 32k and up. Ford dealers are notorious for high pressure tactics trying to upsell, too.

I'd rather buy the last gen, if I were to buy one: Same motor, chassis and more interior room, for about 12k to 13k with 30,000 miles on it.
  • Paying over invoice for a 2010 Tuarus is not something to be proud of. What matters is that you are satisfied.
  • I guess you don't know the difference between invoice and msrp. Expecting to pay below invoice on a vehicle just out is an unrealistic expectation.
  • Is this your first new car purchase?
    Paying below invoice on a new car such as a 2010 Taurus is very realistic. As I stated earlier the price you piad is moot because it is what you purchased that matters.
  • Ok, if you say so. Go to a dealer and offer them a price below invoice with 0% financing and see how far you get. And i have bought many cars and in my early years sometimes paid too much. But not this time. Some people just have to stick to their opinion even when they know they are wrong.
  • Edmunds on this site show the 2010 Taurus TMV (what others are paying) at just about 2% under MSRP, or about $2000 over invoice!
  • "Go to a dealer and offer them a price"

This could be the problem...Not a good idea to "offer" a dealer a price....let the dealer make first offer.

Enjoy your car.
  • I like the way the Honda forum does this section. Here is an example: Accord DX all weather mats and alloy wheels. $19549.00 OTD Our tax rate is 6.5% in OH. Now that is info we can use. We really don't care about debating about under or over invoice. I was getting ready to leave for the dealer back in 08 and someone posted the example above and I saved a addition $600.00 from a deal that I worked weeks on. Just a thought.
  • Consumer Reports came out and gave a less than stellar review of the "new" Taurus in this month's magazine.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Consumer Reports lost credibility with me long ago when they recommended the Nash Rambler. :P
  • Maybe less than stellar, but still recommended.
  • Anyone who pays $$ over invoice is getting a bad deal and not doing their homework. Dealers allot of $$ selling at invoice for there is something called 'holdback' that dealers get on every car that provides at least 600.00 per Taurus and they also get volume discounts, end of the quarter money from Ford ect. A Taurus will loose allot re: resale value vs, other foreign car makers in this class.. even though ' foreign cars' are made in the US. An Accord vs a Taurus re: resale value? No contest, hence take that into account when buying. You can get the invoice price including hold back if you purchase a 'new car' subscription from Consumer Reports, I believe they are approx. 3 months in length and about 40.00.. well worth the money to be informed
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,443
    didn't CR recommend Camry's until recently?
  • brspottsbrspotts Posts: 6
    Currently trying to negotiate a price of a Taurus... In Texas it appears that there are not a lot of Ford Taurus's in stock. On average, 2 per dealership. Looks like I need to special order one... Let's see with what I can work out. Supposedly it is a slow month for dealers and end of quarter....
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I ordered a Taurus on March 6th. Salesman called today and said I had a 5 to 10% chance of getting a 2010. Ford is done taking orders for the 2010 models. One of his secretaries decided to order a Taurus yesterday and hers will have to be a 2011.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    A reporter for a major newspaper is looking for a new car buyer who purchased a Ford because it did not take government money. If you just purchased a new Ford, please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by April 26.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• blueyfishblueyfish Posts: 26
    Hi Host,
    Can you answer the questions from me on #103? Thanks
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,856
    I moved your post here: Ford Taurus Lease Questions

Car_man has that information, and will see it, there.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs