Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2009 Toyota Matrix

Comments

• irismgirismg Posts: 345
    In my opinion, that front end is ugly beyond belief. Made an unattractive car even worse. :(
  • I think I can answer my own question: no liftglass. Pontiac's website has a preview of the '09 Vibe and clearly shows the inside of the hatchback with no hinges or struts on the rear window. Given that the Matrix has essentially the same body, it seems unlikely that the Matrix would retain the liftglass when the Vibe does not.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I thought they parted ways after 2005, each taking over the evolution of their own version of the platform? If so, then stuff like the liftglass could easily be different between Vibe and Matrix. And given the fact that Toyota has just introduced liftglass on the Highlander, I can't imagine they would remove it from the Matrix for the redo.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    NUMMI is still a partnership. Matrix and Vibe are still twins.
    Matrix was never built at NUMMI. Matrix and Vibe are not currently twins, as Toyota has done some minor mechanical upgrades and of course has changed the interior and the exterior cosmetically.

To rephrase the question I posed: did GM and Toyota collaborate on the second generations of thse two models? I had not heard that, so I wonder. GM has proposed offering a Vibe GT with the 260 hp turbo four from the Sky/Solstice and other GM models. There is certainly no such thing proposed for the Matrix (the XRS trim will get the larger NA engine from the Camry).

Matrix was never built at NUMMI. Matrix and Vibe are not currently twins, as Toyota has done some minor mechanical upgrades and of course has changed the interior and the exterior cosmetically.

Corolla, Tacoma and Vibe are all produced at the Fremont NUMMI plant.
    Two of the vehicles coming down the lines are Toyota's with the Vibe is essentially a Toyota in GM clothing.

What mechanical upgrades does the Matrix have that the Vibe does not? Minor or major?
    Well of course, there was the TSB and later production change to the twilight sensor in the Matrix that the Vibe never got (headlights flicking on and off every time you went under a tree, it was really annoying in the early Matrixes, thank goodness Toyota offered a fix).

Toyota updated the internals of the manual transmissions in 2005 after there began to be reports of premature failures. Indeed, some of that is detailed in the transmission woes thread right here. Nuttin' for the Vibe.

At the auto show yesterday there were both '09 Matrix and Vibe on display, both roped off so one could not get too close. But the glass is different, as is the shape, between the two, and that's just gleaned from a quick once-over on opposite sides of the show. I think the twins have been separated for good.

• Worst looking car thus far!!
  • ANY IDEAS HOW MUCH WILL THIS NEW COROLLA BE?
    Matrix. Not Corolla.
  • The newspaper quoted the '09 Matrix at $26,000-$30,000.
  • It seems to me if they were going to make the model different enough to justify a quantum leap in pricing then they would have to call it a new model name and not present it as just a new Matrix.
  • Wow! :surprise:
    Vibe less than $16K

Pontiac Vibe will have lower price for 2009, I'd be very surprised if the Matix did not also have a lower price.
  • That sounds far more likely than the huge increase mentioned earlier. I find it hard to believe any car maker would introduce a totally new model at a totally new price point using an old model name unless the name were being resurrected from retirement and had a lot of nostalgic market pull attached..
  • jefe47jefe47 Posts: 3
    i want to buy a matrix and can not decide between 08 and 09. i can't find out when the 09 is really coming out. can anybody help? thanks.
    The official date is February 15. I think you will see exactly ONE new Matrix (the '09) at dealers on that day, and if it gets sold the next day, you won't see another for a week.

But by March, you should begin to see decent stock at dealers.

There's not that much to distinguish between the old ('08) and the new ('09) unless you want the bigger engine or the AWD. In those cases you would need to wait for the '09. Apart from that, power is about the same, size is about the same, interior materials are about the same, and at any given price point features are about the same (except for standard ABS and 6 airbags on all models). With the discounts on the old model now, you could probably get an '08 with the airbags and ABS for the same price as you will be able to get a comparable '09 for, for the first few months of availability.

And of course, there's a styling change, as minor as it is...you have to decide which one you like the looks of more. :-)

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It's disappointing that gas mileage on the 2.4 is almost the same as the larger RAV4 and many much more powerful V6 sedans.
    Why does the 2.4 use so much gas for so little horsepower?
  • Not really a bad engine, the 2.4. It's just that the new Toyota 3.5 V-6 is so good.

The 2.4 has been around for awhile now, so it's not the most modern 4 out there. I think the Nissan 2.5 is possibly a better engine overall, and the VW 2.0 Turbo is just amazing.

I've really curious as to what Toyota has up its sleeve in the new 2.7L 4-cylinder coming in the new Venza.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It's not just the 2.4 engine, since the RAV4 with the same engine gets about the same mileage ratings despite being in a significantly large and heavier vehicle.
    The Camry also gets competitive mileage with this same engine.