Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2009 Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    For my part, I feel Toyota has made a mistake in how it has chosen to equip the higher trim lines with the larger engine only - I think the car does fine with the smaller engine and think that 5 mpg or so is a big sacrifice

I agree with you there - my 2007, of course, has the 1.8 and with a stick shift I manage 35 mpg as a running average. It is docile around town and plenty fast enough if I wind the engine out when I need the power.

I think Toyota made this choice with the engines for the '09s because they are trying to push the Matrix as the smallest of the crossovers in the Toyota line, now that RAV4 has gotten so big. As such, it needs to have more power available for bigger loads and light-duty towing. Of course, they are also guilty of old-school thinking: the buyers with more money deserve a bigger more powerful engine, fuel consumption be damned. "Fuel consumption be damned" may leave our lexicon permanently very soon now....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    I think Toyota made this choice with the engines for the '09s because they are trying to push the Matrix as the smallest of the crossovers
    maybe - but at the same time it seems Toyota wants to include the Matrixs sold in their Corolla numbers, and not necessarily as a separate vehicle. Is not the Matrix also a Corolla Wagon? 35 mpg overall a damn good number - I think my wife must have a bit of a lead foot!
  • mantechmantech Posts: 28
    No complain about the power performance of this new 1.8L, I own a touring package 5sp (Canada only) Torque now are more noticeable between 2800rpm to
    3500rpm, compare to 1ZZFE (1.8L). I used to own older Matrix & I couldn't feel the torque in that range. I think because of the dual VVT exhaust and intake. I love this
    2ZRFE engine. It's a good design for perfromance and fuel economy. Right now I'm averaging 32mpg mixed driving, odo is 9500km :)
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    since you Canadians get to build most of the Vibes/Matrixes/Corollas it would seem that you are getting some model choices not available down here in the States - heck even the 'luxury' Corolla XLE is sold with the new 1.8. The new CVVTi that Toyota is using is a genuinely good thing IMO, developed first in the 2GR V6 in 2005, it has allowed that engine to lead its class in terms of power and FE for a number of years now. Nippononly might be right on with a reason for the bigger engine but the Matrix as a CUV might be a hard sell? And yep, by altering intake (and exhaust) valve timings at least some of the 'peaky' nature of these smaller engines can be minimized.
  • moontommoontom Posts: 28
    went to dealer today, hoping that I could get the 1.8L engine w/ Stability, sunroof, et al. NO DICE.

this is reeediculous!

I don't need AWD. don't want the 2.4. can't believe that Toyota has the car configured this way, given the fossil fuel situation. I've owned 6 toyos over the years, loved the philosophy and everything but I can't fathom this thinking. why force people who want safety options into the bigger power plant?

argh....
  • The dealers don't want to put in custom orders. Don't know why.

I didn't want the sunroof because I figured that it would eventually leak.

I figured the car would be alright without stability. The odds of this car rolling over are very slim, compareds to the SUV I was driving.

But try another dealership. They are pretty desperate to sell any cars right now so you may get the upper hand.
    Dealers are especially averse to putting in an order on a Matrix right now, as they are all sitting on WAY too many that are already in inventory.

And old Toyotas with moonroofs usually don't leak - they do a pretty good job of those moonroofs, they are pretty durable.

• I went into one of my local dealerships and was able to custom order my 2007 XR. They did a production change and I got exactly what I wanted. I had to wait about a month for it to come in. Unfortunately, about 2 months ago, that car was totaled by someone running a red light. I will tell you, that's a damn safe car! I was able to walk away relatively unhurt. So, I went back to the same dealership and was able to order my 2009 S with the exact options I wanted. At first my sales person was not too interested in ordering it for me, but I wouldn't budge on the idea. He told me it could take 3-4 months for the car to come in because they would have to do a production change. BUT it really only took about a month and a week to come in. It may not get the 33 MPG that my XR did, BUT I LOVE my car!
    Some of the changes the made to the 09s are REALLY great. The sunroof now opens with just one touch of the button, rather than having to hold it until it's all the way open. The AUX jack and Bluetooth are my favorite options, I think.
    Do you miss the fact that the glass in the rear hatch doesn't open separately any more? I'm pretty sure I would, as I use that all the time.

• I agree with ecotrklvr. No, gas is not all the same. Way back when I worked for the Mechanical Engineering Dept. of a large university. They had automotive labs with engines on dynos etc. One test that was often done was to measure the heat content of fuels with a bomb calorimeter. That is, how many calories of heat a given mass of fuel produced when burned. It id possible for a gasoline to meet the octane requirement and contain the required additives, yet create more or less energy when burned. Lower heat content is the main reason why ethanol reduces FE.

Independent gas stations buy their gas from several suppliers, whoever is cheapest. I shop for the cheapest gas and it often comes from independent stations. I occasionally get a tank of gas where the car runs fine but gets substantially lower mileage, under the same driving conditions, driving the same route, commuting to work, one week to the next. It happens less often now than it did 20 years ago. There used to be particular stations I would avoid.
  • Yes, I do miss it. I'm not sure why that change was made. I also feel like it could use a 6th gear. With the engine being bigger, it accelerates a lot faster and I'm finding myself at about 3 RPM when I'm going 65-70 on the freeway - same as it was in my 07 with the smaller engine. All in all, I haven't really found any major complaints in the redesign.
    Well I checked, and with the 1.8 in my '07, I am at 2600 rpm or so when I'm going 65 mph in 5th.......the '09 actually revs HIGHER, even though it has a bigger engine??? No wonder its fuel economy is lower than the Camry with the same engine then.....

Could you double check again your 07 Matrix, can't be 2600rpm at 65mph (110kph)
    1ZZFE is a high revving engine. Why I can't forget these things I used to own an 07 Matrix and during that break in period I never exceed above 3000rpm. A 60mph(101kph) speed is already at 2900rpm! So please re-check it again.
    My 09 Matrix (2ZRFE) revs 3000rpm at 110kph of course in 5th gear, but right now our gasoline are oxigenated that's why the MPG became lower, but still i could get 580k at 45L fill up. The 2.4L engine is a different story, It could consume 20MPG in city driving but this engine is really smooth running like a V6! 2300rpm at 100kph.
    Double-checked my '07, mantech, definitely 2600 rpm at 65 mph in 5th gear. One of the reasons the '08s and older had such good mileage with the manual was fairly tall gearing for such a small engine. I was disappointed to see that mileage drop by a point for the '09 models with the 1.8.

This was the wrong time for Toyota to be engineering new models that consumed more gas than the ones they replaced.

There's no difference in fuel economy Nippononly, The 09 Matrix 1.8 has wider band of torque compare to 1ZZFE, that's the only difference. Actually last summer I got 620K from a full tank of gas(mixed driving) I can't believe that 2600rpm at 65 mph in fifth gear?? maybe 6th gear if you have an XRS. Oh common..
    I believe the "S", XR in Canada and XRS 2009 consumes more gas than the ones that they replaced.. Maybe this sounds make sense to you.
    In the United States of America the 2008 Matrix 1.8L 5-speed was rated 27/33 mpg by the EPA.

The 2009 model is rated 26/32. Lower.

• We picked up our 09 Matrix last night and found that with the engine running we could NOT shut off the headlights -- or even dim them. Is this normal?? Know that there is an automatic sensor for the headlights so the car probably "knew" it was nighttime, but we need to be able to dim our lights to the parking lights at night. WE want to be the ones in control of the lighting - is this phenomenon a glitch, or something standard on the vehicle?
  • It's standard on the vehicle. The lights are always on, as long as the key is in the ignition. Congratulations!
  • For the last few weeks I've been looking to buy a Matrix, however, due to this article, I'm now on hold and looking elsewhere, eventhough I've been a toyota, honda and acura guy since 1968. Why is the gas consunption so different between a corolla and Matrix?

R
  • The MPG is actually not that different when you compare the engines of the Corolla and Matrix. I have an 09 Matrix S - has a 2.4L engine with about 158 HP. The Corolla XRS has the same engine size/HP and they get almost identical. My 07 Matrix had higher EPA rated MPG, BUT I got even better than what was promised. I saw it get dramatically better after about 5K miles. I am consistently getting about 27 MPG with my current Matrix - I'm at about 2K miles on it and expect to get much better than 27 MPG in a few more thousand miles. I am a HUGE fan of the Matrix, it's basically the best car in my book. Go test drive the S model, I think you will fall in love.