Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Any rattle can be found. Even if it takes removing parts, until the rattle stops, then you've found the culprit. Usually it doesn't take such drastic measures, but it is very effective at last resort.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 221
    I would suggest you google: honda transmission problems. This seems to have been a problem with hondas (including ours) form a very long time and seems to be something that continues in hondas - not just accords, but across the board.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    not just accords, but across the board.

Hardly across the board, my friend. No 4-cylinder vehicles were ever affected (that includes the majority of Accords, all Civics and Civic Si, all CR-Vs, all Fits, all Elements, Preludes). It was a select group of V6 Accords (some from Gen VI, and 2003-early build 2004 model V6 Accords, as well as some Odyssey vans (our 2000 wasn't affected, nor was my aunt's 2005 Odyssey). Those transmissions were given a massive warranty (7 years/100k miles I think?), and owners who did pay out of pocket before the warranty was extended were reimbursed by Honda.

Happy Hondaing.

TheGrad
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Have any of you listened to make sure the "rattle" isn't coming from the gear shifter. I only ask because my AT gear shifter makes a very distinct noise, particularly when its cold, when hitting bumps or accelerating. However, the noise I am hearing is much like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together - not so much a rattling noise. Its not a huge deal, but it is getting worse with time (i'm at 6500 miles now) and I think I'm actually going to take it to the dealer to see if they can do something about it. I'm always very reluctant to do that because, IMHO, the dealership often do more harm then good when removing panels and searching for rattles.

I mention this because, when I first heard it, i thought it was coming from the passenger side of the car.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 221
    I'm thinking of leasing for 48 months - am aware that warranty is 36 months. I'm assuming that the Accord is a pretty safe bet, repair-wise - and that nothing too outrageous will happen in during months 37 - 48, assuming gentle driving & normal wear & tear. Any comments from board members?

Would recommend you google: honda transmission problems. They've had a problem "across the board for years"

the grad added: Hardly across the board, my friend. No 4-cylinder vehicles were ever affected (that includes the majority of Accords, all Civics and Civic Si, all CR-Vs, all Fits, all Elements, Preludes). It was a select group of V6 Accords (some from Gen VI, and 2003-early build 2004 model V6 Accords, as well as some Odyssey vans (our 2000 wasn't affected, nor was my aunt's 2005 Odyssey). Those transmissions were given a massive warranty (7 years/100k miles I think?), and owners who did pay out of pocket before the warranty was extended were reimbursed by Honda.

Obviously, i would guess the grad, like a number of others on this site, have a vested interest in honda. Our 4 cyl 2000 accord, like several years before and after, were impacted by the transmission problems. Yes, we got the warranty extended (got a new 36/36 warranty on the rebuilt tranny put in but it was as bad as the first one the day we got it out of the shop). IF u google honda transmission problems i believe u will find honda has had many transmission issues involving many of their models and years - complaints up to and including the 2007 model accords. And, yes they extend the warranties instead of fixing the problems - and those with the VCM problems can probably anticipate the same dealing with honda. Instead of fixing the problem, they will extend the warranty. But do google: honda transmission problems and you will be amazed at the problems they've had (including 4 cylinder accords in a number of years). Then make your call as to what you want to put your money into.
    Wayne21 ----- Try this ---- Google transmission problems in any Toyota product you like, any Nissan product you like, any Chevrolet product, any Ford product, Chrysler product, etc, etc, etc, etc,. Turns out their mechanical - and they fail. You'll find LOTS of transmission posts on every brand made!

You need to go read Grad's other posts before you accuse him of having a vested interest in Honda . . . .. He is one balanced dude :P For starters, try the "Help Me Choose" thread . . .
    I took my 08 Accord into the dealership today for its first oil change (only 50% oil life used - but I just couldn't get myself to go any more than 6500 miles without changing my oil. . . . it almost killed me to go that far :sick: )

Anyway -- they found a fix for the noisy gear shifter I have written about. Apparently, there was a clip under the center console and gear shift housing that was not "fully engaged." Apparently, they took it apart, realligned all the parts to their proper position, slipped on "the clip" and everything is better now. We'll see when I pick it up -- but apparently they think they have it fixed. . . :)

Also, I have had consistently squeaky brakes since the car was almost new. The dealership checked the brakes and said there was an unusual amount of break-in brake dust around the brake pads and all over the rotors. He cleaned them well and thought that might solve the problem --- again, we'll see.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Vested interest in Honda? Nah... I've got Hondas, but certainly wouldn't replace my current Honda Accord with the 2008. It's much too large, and interior styling and quality seems to have taken a downturn. Personally, if something happened to my 2006, I'd look hard at the Altima. I've also been urging my parents to drive the "new" Taurus; it looks like a screaming bargain, and they're after a powerful, reasonably luxurious, comfortable highway cruiser for under $25k. The Taurus Limited fits that bill better than any Honda (they currently have a Civic which would stay in the line-up, just adding this new cruiser for trips).

Bug makes a good point. I googled transmission problems for brands from Acura (370,000 hits) to Volvo (2,060,000 hits). Guess what, all of the brands I entered, even obscure ones such as Saab (2,000,000 hits) had numbers over 300,000 links from which to choose. Even Datsun had 360,000 hits.

Wayne, would you please link me to a post on here about transmission problems from a 4-cylinder Accord that is fairly new (say, 1998-present)? As a 4-cylinder Accord owner, I'd love to see it! :)

Thanks,

TheGrad

P.S. I searched by typing BRAND NAME HERE transmission problems
  • I have had my 2008 for 3 months. In the morning the am radio is better but by the afternoon and evening it gets lots of interference. I went to the dealer last night and tried another radio just like mine in another 2008 and it was clear as can be. I'm bringing my car in on Monday to be looked at. I'm glad I drove in last night because I'm sure the service rep will tell me it's just normal. NO WAY!
    There have been multiple posts about the poor radio reception in the new accords. I have the EX-L with the "upgraded" radio and my reception sucks! The fact that it was better at the dealership in another car likely was due to the fact that you were in a different location. Further, radio reception is weather dependent and dependent upon a lot of other external factors. Its not abnormal to get different signal strengths at different times of the day and/or under different weather conditions....particularly if you are trying to pick up distant stations.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    XM is the only "station" that really sounds good on mine. The regular radio FM/AM stations sound like the music/announcers are in a phone booth. It does not have that "full" sound like it should.
    Funny that you say that - I had the opposite experience. Strong radio stations sounded much better than my XM. My XM seemed to be unusually quite ( I had to the turn the volume way up to compensate) and seemed to really lack base response and a good, open, clear sound. (I let my XM subscription lapse after the trial period -- it didn't sound good and, out of the gazillion channels from which I could choose, I couldn't find anything I liked . . . :confuse: )
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    I have had good sound quality on all bands, including XM. However, reception has not been as expected. At the beginning, I had XM reception difficulties but it fixed itself somehow. I am still having FM reception weak signals at times, as you've mentioned depending on the location, but still I know the reception is not as good as my other cars' within the same locations.
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    XM reception has been great. FM reception has been ok but range has not been great (no better, no worse than other brands where the antenna is built into the rear window). I don't listen to AM, so can't say how that is. This is the upgraded system that comes with the EXL-V6; the system overall seems fine to me.
  • jinsmurfjinsmurf Posts: 5
    I got the vibration problem fixed. The dealer replaced all 4 wheels/tires. It turns out that the OEM Michelins had a flat spot. No more noticeable vibration.

Also, I noticed the tire pressure was a bit low. I inflated to 33 psi, and I'm getting much better fuel economy. I'm very happy with my car.
  • gimme789gimme789 Posts: 6
    I found the rattle in my Accord.

MY BAD

My wife had put a pair of sunglasses in the holder ( above mirror )

They were rattling !!!!

Funny thing is, the rattle sound sounded like it was coming from the passenger door.

I really do love the car again !!!!
  • monkeygwdmonkeygwd Posts: 19
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Which engine do you have? My EX-L 4 Cyl Auto is not doing very well in the mileage dept.
  • gimme789gimme789 Posts: 6
    Gas mileage - around town not sure. I measured a highway trip and got 31 though. Which I think is pretty darn good.
  • I have had the EX 4 cylinder since October, and only have 1600 miles so far, but I have not been happy with the gas mileage either. Granted, most of my driving is short trips (3 miles), but I'm getting between 17-18 mpg. Prior to this I had a 2000 Accord EX and was getting about 23 mpg. I realize the 2008 is bigger and heavier, but this just seems like a big step backwards in fuel economy.

The guy at the gas station told me to give it 5000 miles to get a truer picture of the gas mileage. I'm bringing the car back to the dealer in a couple of weeks for them to check out the squeaking brakes and popping speaker noises, so I'm going to bring the mileage issue up to them as well to see what they say.