Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• weigchenweigchen Posts: 3
    After my '08 accord has been parked for a half day or more, when I go start it and shift from "park" to "drive", it makes a very loud clunk sound. I even feel it.
    I know hondas always had that clunk, I know from my previous '00 and '04 accords, but not as loud as this one.
    Has anyone else had this experience?
    The car will not do this again until after I park it again for more than half day.
    Sometimes it won't make the sound, but lately, its been clunking more and more.
    I am afraid I may have a transmission problem on my hands, b/c I don't have warranty on my car.
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Posts: 65
    If the evap canister were such a huge or risky issue, then why hasn't there ever been any public service announcements on tv, or literature from any of the car manufacturers concerning such canister, or warnings in newspapers, magazines, etc.?

I will also say again...I've been filling my tank to the rim since I got my first car in 1970. My parents have always done the same thing and so have my brother, sister, other relatives, and lots of friends all over the United States. I don't consider myself to be overfilling anything. If the tank were truly overfilled then gasoline would be/could be sloshing out onto the ground or other car parts. But I've looked all over my car and all over the other cars too when they're filled to my capacity and have yet to see any signs of leakage or other problems. I've never had any check-engine lights to come on as well. If filling the tank to my capacity were so dangerous/risky as you claim, then why hasn't the car manufacturers or the government or others fixed all gas tanks so that they can hold only a certain amount and never ever be filled the its fullest capacity?

I took my car to the dealership yesterday and told them I was having performance issues. With all the information they can receive through their readouts, they should have told me that there were problems such as the canister evap or other problems associated with your so-called overfill but no problems were found. I told the mechanic and the service manager that the car had a full tank of gas and then further explained to them that I filled the tank to the rim at all times and you know what they said to me about my filling to capacity? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! I told them there were several people that claimed to have issues with filling to capacity and they informed me the issues were in their minds and that these new cars..the cars of today...are so drive-by-wire that IF filling to the rim were such a big problem as some claim, then the car's drive-by-wire system would sense a problem and report it accordingly either through a warning light or perhaps a readout on the computer when hooked up to it at any dealership.
  • dwashcodwashco Posts: 4
    I took delivery of a 08 EX-L I4 last week. It's been hot up here in NE but I think my A/C is not operating properly. I have owned 3 Hondas and 1 Acura in the past and the air will blow cold air within 3 mins or so. The new car will only ever blow mildly cool air regardless of the setting. So I'll set at Auto, Lo setting. Can anyone comment of their air temp ? I will be putting a air temp gauge in there to measure the temp of the cool air today.
    Take it back to the dealership and have them check the a/c unit for leaks and also to see if it needs freon.
  • dwashcodwashco Posts: 4
    I plan on doing that next week. The care only has 200 miles on it.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 274
    My 08 EXL-V6 has been OK here in NE over this past very hot week. Not knowing the model years of your previous Honda's/Acura's, and whether or not they were models using freon as opposed to the current refrigerants(R134A?), but I have found that freon would provide almost instant cooling and R134A would take 5-10 minutes to get a good chill going. While I feel mine is operating within what I'm sure Honda would call a normal operating range, it pales in comparison to my 03 Taurus, a car I paid 50% less then I did for my new Accord and it had rear seat heat/ac vents off the center console which needless to say is appreciated by those riding back there. The change-over year for most mfg's from freon to R134A was 1994-1995.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Make sure and set your parking brake; if your car rolls after putting it in park (doesn't necessarily have to be on a hill to do it), it'll clunk more.

Always set the brake.
    I always set the brake, I don't let the car roll forward, where I stop is where I set the brake.
    Ok, good habit.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    Just be carfeul in really cold weather - can freeze on. Otherwise I agree
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I've never had any check-engine lights to come on as well. If filling the tank to my capacity were so dangerous/risky as you claim, then why hasn't the car manufacturers or the government or others fixed all gas tanks so that they can hold only a certain amount and never ever be filled the its fullest capacity?

The gas pump will click off before the filler neck is full to the rim. That should be enough of a hint not to over-fill the tank. Maybe they could invent a hand, that would come out of the gas pump, slap you across the head, and say "Stop pumping". There is only so much the government/car manufacturers can do to save people from themselves. :confuse:
    Here in central Alabama, we rarely see temps below 20 degrees. ;)
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    But what is the clunking noise
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    Well, good luck on your decision to wait until the government publishes an official "do not overfill your gas tank" warning before you change your mind.

Mrbill
    As I stated previously, IF your warning were so accurate, then do tell me why the service manager of not just 1 dealership but several other dealerships as well and many mechanics as well as hundreds of friends, relatives, coworkers, clients, other gov't employees, etc. tell me it is ok to fill to the rim because they've been doing it for years too and have never had problems caused by it. I think you're just full of hot air.

What good is it then to install an 18.5 gallon tank and not use it all to its capacity?
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    Please, let's move on. You're all beating a dead horse. This is a non-issue. On to other topics, please.
    What good is it then to install an 18.5 gallon tank and not use it all to its capacity?

Didn't you say you were able to put over 20 gallons in? Wouldn't that be OVER FILLING? I don't think any of us care how much gas to try to force into your tank. Maybe you would like to add a separate (reserve) tank, so you can fill that one to the rim too. We don't want to argue with you anymore. Do whatever you feel is right. :sick:
    Two things - just got done putting 720 miles on my '08 Sedan - V6 w/VCM. 24MPG - gas light came on - filled it within about 5 miles - 16.5 gallons, plus the 13.5 before = 30, 720/30 = 24 MPG - 230 Interstate and the balance 50/50 city and highway. No complaints.- car is running well and, knock on wood, without some of the other problems others here are encountering or have.
    That's about what I would get in the same situation (03 V6 auto). Considering it's a bigger, heavier car, with a larger engine, I'd say VCM is working for you.
    Yeah, I would agree - it is much smoother than it had been and I do not have a light foot - when accelerating from toll booths or in some cases when needed,extra passing power, I do get on it and use all 268 Horses. I am pleased and suspect a pure Hwy run would be at least in the high 20's. We'll see next weekend - going from NYC to Syracuse in Upstate NY - Problem is I go through the Poconos and some other hilly/mountainous terrain which will hurt mileage. It just is not Iowa up there, nor the flatness of the Appalachian plains of NC, SC and GA.
    It's just like when you sometimes park on an uphill or downhill, and when put your shifter to drive, it makes a loud clunk sound. But mine is much louder and I can feel the car shake when it does it.

But I've noticed that when I start it up and I put the shifter to "reverse" first, then to "neutral", then to "drive", with a slight pause between each shift, then it won't clunk at all. It only clunks very loud and violently when I shift straight from "park" to "drive" quickly.
    Let us know what happens when you bring it back from the dealer
  • dlongoddlongod Posts: 5
    I just picked my brand spanking new Accord up 5 days ago and noticed the headlights dim and kick back on every several minutes as the air conditioner kicks on. It is very annoying and I felt as though other drivers think I am flashing my lights at them. I noticed others with the 4 cyl also having this problem in another Accord forum. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? I am definitely going to contact the dealership tomorrow.
  • dlongoddlongod Posts: 5
    Here is a link to another forum where others are experiencing the same headlight problem:

http://www.hondacarforum.com/h....html

If you are experiencing the same problem, report it to the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    This is apparently a VERY common problem among 4 cylinder owners. There must be a simple solution that Honda simply wants to ignore. Disappointing to see them respond - or fail to respond - to their owners that way.
    Show me factual evidence that supports your conclusions of so-called overfill. If I were overfilling the gas tank per your claims, then why hasn't any gasoline ever been found in the filler cap or down the outside of the filler neck or anywhere else on the car other than the correct place...inside the tank itself?

Show me factual evidence that says the first time a pump clicks off is the total amount of gasoline that should be pumped into the tank. I've been all through my owners manual as well as other owners manuals, gov't publications on car safety, insurance adjusters manuals, etc., and not one of them ever says anything about what you're claiming is to be the truth. If car manufacturers did not want someone to fill the tank completely to the rim without seeping out, then why do the car manufacturers put on a gas tank cap that is vented by design? I've gone through insurance schools in reference to not only selling car, boat, vehicle, etc. insurance but these schools also get into the nitty-gritty of parts and the problems they cause and the problems caused by the occupants, owners, drivers, etc., and not once is there any mention of tank overfill causing problems. Why is that? If your claims were so true, then I'd like to believe that insurance companies would insert brief statements into each and every policy saying they would not pay a claim due to tank overfill. I've also been through state driving schools and gov't schools too for federal drivers licenses while in the military and not one time has there ever been a mention of your claims. I wonder why that is too!

So....where is this factual evidence that supposedly supports your claims? Or is it all fictitious?
    Show me factual evidence that says the first time a pump clicks off is the total amount of gasoline that should be pumped into the tank.

I'd be happy to do so, unless the EPA isn't "factual" enough for ya. Below is some enlightening reading.

You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions.

Topping off your gas tank may foul the station's vapor recovery system. Adding more gas after the nozzle has automatically shut off can cause the station's vapor recovery system to operate improperly. This contributes to the air pollution problem and may cause the gas pump to fail to work for the next person.

Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.
    -www.epa.gov

For someone who has so sarcastically mocked everyone trying to HELP you, I hope you'll take this to heart.
    Expandad gas in your car is recovered by the vapor recovery system, the only place the gas goes if you over fill is on the ground. I cant believe a stated tank size of 18 gallons can take 20 gallons unless something has changed in the automotive world that I dont know about. Gas nozzles shut off because of the pressure feed back to cut back on vapors.
    But with more fuel, and less room to expand, the vapors will be more dense, and it'll be more likely overwhelm the vapor recovery system, causing malfucntion.
    Is thegraduate's quote from the EPA good enough? Or do you need a letter from the Surgeon General? :P