Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I think that's about what the sticker says you will get. Not bad for a 3500 lb. V6.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I second everything that BLane said. Winter blends of fuel couple with ethanol means you should actually be pretty pleased with your numbers.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Okay, since when can we put ethanol in our accords?
    Not E85, I think its up to 15%.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,823
    Okay, since when can we put ethanol in our accords?

Since forever I guess. As noted, ethanol that is being used as an additive (up to 10%) in gasoline as a replacement for MTBE. Look on the pump you use - it'll tell you the mix. Most modern vehicles should not be damaged by the 10%.

E85 is a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Vehicles have to be designed to run on that blend.
    Well I am not taking a chance on my leased car. Though it might be just fine.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,823
    You may not have a choice. Most gasoline sold in North America is 10% ethanol. As I noted earlier look at the pump - it'll have a sticker on it saying something to that affect.
    I'm not sure how it is taking a chance. My owner's manual states that its ok up to 15% in my 4-cyl, iirc.

robr2 is correct, while it has yet to catch on where I live in the south, in a large part of the country, 10% Ethanol is the norm.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Since this is the 2008 Maintenance & Repair forum...

Page 261 of the 2008 Accord Sedan Owner's Manual states: "Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol by volume and up to 15% MTBE by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol"
    Pages 83 through 85 of the 2008 Accord Owner's Manual discuss Auto Door Unlocking. The feature has five possible settings. I've tried multiple times (unsuccessfully) to program the system so that "All doors unlock when you move the shift lever to the Park (P) position (A/T vehicles)".

Only the driver's door unlocks for me. I'm frustrated, but trying to save a trip to the Honda shop. Has anyone else been successful doing so following the four-step instructions on page 84?
    well I have an 06 Accord. I am not sure it is in the manual for that.
    I just checked my 2004 Accord V6 Owner's Manual. The wording is identical.
    what, that it says that you may put that in your tank? or you cannot find it.
    bvdj84,

The 2004 wording is identical to the 2008 wording that I quoted in post #40.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Hey blane . . my new Accord does the exact same thing. I did try to reprogram it one time, but it didn't work and I didn't have time to try again. I assumed I had just done it incorrectly. I'll try again . . but keep us posted.
  • I had the same problem. I did exactly what the manual said to no avail so I finally took it in to the dealer. The Tech did what exactly I did and it didn't work for him either. Then he tried something else. It is about 2 months ago so I am trying to remember but I think he programmed everything to turn off (no lock or unlock) and then he programmed it to unlock both doors and it finally worked. If you struggle with this stop by the dealer. Mine reprogrammed it at no-charge, they didn't even write up a work order.
  • I have an 08 EXL V6 Accord with about 200 miles on it and I also have a noise coming from around the front of drivers side door or front pillar or that vicinity but I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It sounds like it maybe a plastic piece that is under stress and at the beginning of an acceleration or braking action you get this creaking like noise - not loud but very subtle. The sound system must be turned down. I tried pushing on the dash, door, and headliner pieces try to stop it but it does not stop it.

I also will take it in to the dealer to get it looked at. I hope it can be located and corrected since the exact location is vague. Just for information this Accord was made in Alabama in 9/07. If any else has something like this please respond.

I really, really like this car and previously owned 2 Accords 12 yrs each and had an 04 Toyota Camry XLE for 4 yrs and traded it in for the 08 Accord. XLE was a little too mushy for me and wanted a tighter handling car. The engine power and drive is great in the Accord.
    Hold it, Accords aren't made in Alabama. They're made in Marysville, Ohio... Ontario, or Japan. Those are the only 3 places, the last time I checked.
    You might check one other spot for the source of the noise. The sound you describe is similar to a squeak I have in my 08 I4 EX-L Accord --- except mine is coming directly from the automatic gear shifter. It is very slight and mirrors itself all around the cabin (which made it hard to tell exactly where it was coming from). It sounds like someone is very lightly rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together. It is noticeable only when the cabin is very quite at low speeds and only until the cabin warms up -- but its there! Just a thought . . .

You know, I've actually relaxed considerably about squeaks over the years. I still expect a car to be tight and relatively squeak-free. But, I've noticed that Hondas and Toyotas are among the best of ANY vehicle. . . .and they still have some squeaks. I've had the chance to drive and ride in lots of expensive cars. Frankly, they have generally disappointed me when it comes to "squeakiness." I've been in many BMWs that are worse than the 3 Accords I've owned and I've noticed significant squeaks in Audis, Porches and Jaguars. I dont' have a lot of experience in Mercedes --perhaps they are quiet? Strangely, the quitest car I ever rode in was a 2001 Volvo Cross Country . . I'm not sure if the interior tolerances were so tight it didn't squeak, or perhaps they were so loose none of the pieces actually touched eachother :)

[p.s. - the loudest car I ever drove was an early-2000s model Mustang. It had been raced before --so maybe that was the problem. In that car, the tachometer was not necessary. . . the frequency of the buzzing plastic pieces clearly announced the engine RPM :P ]
  • I'm very sorry. My girlfriend just bought an 08 Pilot and it was made in Alabama. I got the manufacturing location of the 2 confused.
  • This car is equipped alloy wheels with a tire pressure monitoring system. Would there be problem installing 4 snow tires on steel rims or would it mess up the monitoring system and a light stay on thinking you have low pressure. Thanks
    Ha, it's no problem. I figured someone just had the Odyssey location mixed up with the Accord location; no biggie. :)
  • Very sad day...my first problem with the new 08 EXL V6

Finally got cold enough to use the heater at full blast to warm up the car as we drove. At the three highest fan speeds there is a whistle or hiss that is audible. Not terrible, but definately there.

We took it in and they replaced the fan motor. Didn't solve the problem. They called Honda and they had not heard of this problem. The shop wanted to take the dash all apart and "look for the problem", but I have waited on that so far, as I don't want any new rattles from dismantling the dash.

Here is the info I have on the problem:
    Whistle or hiss to me sounds like a leak in a duct or something??
    But, it doesn't occur with AC is on, even if it is at full blast fan
    It only occurs when heat is on and above 70 degrees
    The whislte gets louder and louder from mid speed to max fan speed
    The whislte gets louder and louder from 70 degree all the way to HIGH.

Any help/advice is appreciated!
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    Are you feeling the VCM operation (slight surging and or downshifting hesitation) and or any slight vibration in your "drivers" seat at higher freeway speeds? its bad on mine and some others......
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    new car, new problems.. honda should fix them all but we have yet to solve my issues with the VCM operation and highway speed vibration or some others.. are you feeling either of these? I have not ofund the issue you describe on my 08 V6.
  • 2008 ACCORD WITH 1,100 mi has been in the shop for nine days .....problem electrial drain on the battery will not start without charging each morning....dealer can not find the problem........information sent to honda tech no word on fix for the problem yet......opened and have a case # from honda but no call or fix yet...........also noticed a vibration from vcm at 40 to 45 mph........feels like you are riding on a ride around lawn mower..........offered to sell the car back to the dealer at a loss..do not want or need the aggravation............
  • I first noticed a squeak/rattle on my 08 Accord EX when driving on the highway and over bumps. I've had the vehicle less than one week. I have since discovered a squeak when I move the shifter slightly or press on the center console in certain places, mostly near the shifter. It sounds exactly like you described: pieces of styrofoam rubbing together. I don't know if this is what I hear on the highway.
  • I have an 08 Accord EX with the Michelin Pilot V-rated tires. Has anyone experienced driving in the snow with these and how do they perform?
    That is a real downer about your new Accord. Sounds to me as if there is a short in your electrical system some place that is draining the battery quickly. . . if that is the problem, some Honda tech at a remote location isn't going to be able to diagnose a fix.

In any event, if it comes to it, it may be best to sell the car back to the dealer at a small loss -- better than wasting time and money on other legal remedies. But, don't forget that you may eventually qualify for relief under your state's lemon law . . :lemon: . Just keep close track of the number of days your car is in the shop and out of service. Also, document the number of times the dealership attempts to fix the problems you are having. DO NOT rely on the dealership to do this for you!!! Each state's lemon law varies, but you might have a look at the one in your state so that you are familiar with exactly what circumstances will allow you to demand relief. You can obtain summaries of each state's lemon law on various consumer protection web sites or, often, on your state's attorney general's web site (they usually have a consumer protection division). Good Luck!

[p.s. in my experience, I have never seen a dealership actually buy back a car at anything close to a fair price. Plus, they really don't have to. It is generally not the dealership which is on the hook for a defective vehicle . . its the manufacturer (or in some cases, their licensed distributors). If you are dealing with a dealership that will, kudos to the dealership.. . . you must be buying Ferrari's from their sister company. . . they want your business! :D ]
  • How do you know if the VSA is on or off?