Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cdavidc1cdavidc1 Member Posts: 8
    This car is equipped alloy wheels with a tire pressure monitoring system. Would there be problem installing 4 snow tires on steel rims or would it mess up the monitoring system and a light stay on thinking you have low pressure. Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Ha, it's no problem. I figured someone just had the Odyssey location mixed up with the Accord location; no biggie. :)
  • carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Very sad day...my first problem with the new 08 EXL V6

Finally got cold enough to use the heater at full blast to warm up the car as we drove. At the three highest fan speeds there is a whistle or hiss that is audible. Not terrible, but definately there.

We took it in and they replaced the fan motor. Didn't solve the problem. They called Honda and they had not heard of this problem. The shop wanted to take the dash all apart and "look for the problem", but I have waited on that so far, as I don't want any new rattles from dismantling the dash.

Here is the info I have on the problem:
    Whistle or hiss to me sounds like a leak in a duct or something??
    But, it doesn't occur with AC is on, even if it is at full blast fan
    It only occurs when heat is on and above 70 degrees
    The whislte gets louder and louder from mid speed to max fan speed
    The whislte gets louder and louder from 70 degree all the way to HIGH.

Any help/advice is appreciated!
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    Are you feeling the VCM operation (slight surging and or downshifting hesitation) and or any slight vibration in your "drivers" seat at higher freeway speeds? its bad on mine and some others......
    new car, new problems.. honda should fix them all but we have yet to solve my issues with the VCM operation and highway speed vibration or some others.. are you feeling either of these? I have not ofund the issue you describe on my 08 V6.
  • buttdonkeybuttdonkey Member Posts: 25
    2008 ACCORD WITH 1,100 mi has been in the shop for nine days .....problem electrial drain on the battery will not start without charging each morning....dealer can not find the problem........information sent to honda tech no word on fix for the problem yet......opened and have a case # from honda but no call or fix yet...........also noticed a vibration from vcm at 40 to 45 mph........feels like you are riding on a ride around lawn mower..........offered to sell the car back to the dealer at a loss..do not want or need the aggravation............
  • skywalker4skywalker4 Member Posts: 10
    I first noticed a squeak/rattle on my 08 Accord EX when driving on the highway and over bumps. I've had the vehicle less than one week. I have since discovered a squeak when I move the shifter slightly or press on the center console in certain places, mostly near the shifter. It sounds exactly like you described: pieces of styrofoam rubbing together. I don't know if this is what I hear on the highway.
  • skywalker4skywalker4 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 08 Accord EX with the Michelin Pilot V-rated tires. Has anyone experienced driving in the snow with these and how do they perform?
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    That is a real downer about your new Accord. Sounds to me as if there is a short in your electrical system some place that is draining the battery quickly. . . if that is the problem, some Honda tech at a remote location isn't going to be able to diagnose a fix.

In any event, if it comes to it, it may be best to sell the car back to the dealer at a small loss -- better than wasting time and money on other legal remedies. But, don't forget that you may eventually qualify for relief under your state's lemon law . . :lemon: . Just keep close track of the number of days your car is in the shop and out of service. Also, document the number of times the dealership attempts to fix the problems you are having. DO NOT rely on the dealership to do this for you!!! Each state's lemon law varies, but you might have a look at the one in your state so that you are familiar with exactly what circumstances will allow you to demand relief. You can obtain summaries of each state's lemon law on various consumer protection web sites or, often, on your state's attorney general's web site (they usually have a consumer protection division). Good Luck!

[p.s. in my experience, I have never seen a dealership actually buy back a car at anything close to a fair price. Plus, they really don't have to. It is generally not the dealership which is on the hook for a defective vehicle . . its the manufacturer (or in some cases, their licensed distributors). If you are dealing with a dealership that will, kudos to the dealership.. . . you must be buying Ferrari's from their sister company. . . they want your business! :D ]
  • steelr10steelr10 Member Posts: 4
    How do you know if the VSA is on or off?
    I just bought a 2008 honda accord and want to put in a remote start. the last honda we had, we put in an after market remote and it was aggravating. If you locked the car with the remote and then forgot and unlocked the doors with the key the alarm would go off. Or vice versa because the honda security system doesn't recognize the after market keyless entry. I don't want to have to hassle with that again. Has anyone put a remote start in a 2008 honda and not had any problems? If so what model did you put in? We have also heard about another remote start but they said it would put the honda keyless entry to sleep. If you use the remote to start the engine you cannot use the honda keyless entry to unlock the doors, you must insert the key into the door. I don't want to have to do that, does anyone have any suggestions.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    There are two VSA Indicators in the lower part of the Tachometer, the left of the two large dials in the Gauge cluster.

Page 58 of the 2008 Accord Sedan Owner's Manual States:

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System Indicator

This indicator normally comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.

If it comes on and stays on at any other time, or if it does not come on when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, there is a problem with the VSA system. Take your vehicle to a dealer to have it checked. Without VSA, your vehicle still has normal driving ability, but will not have VSA traction and stability enhancement. See page 293 for more information on the VSA system.

VSA Activation Indicator

This indicator has three functions:

1. It comes on as a reminder that you have turned off the vehicle stability assist (VSA) system.

2. It flashes when VSA is active (see page 293).

3. It comes on along with the VSA system indicator if there is a problem with the VSA system.

This indicator normally comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position. For more information, see page 293.

Pages 293 and 294 of the 2008 Accord Sedan Owner's Manual state:

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System

The vehicle stability assist (VSA) system helps to stabilize the vehicle during cornering if the vehicle turns more or less than desired. It also assists you in maintaining traction while accelerating on loose or slippery road surfaces. It does this by regulating the engine’s output and by selectively applying the brakes.

When VSA activates, you may notice that the engine does not respond to the accelerator in the same way it does at other times. There may also be some noise from the VSA hydraulic system. You will also see the VSA activation indicator blink.

The VSA system cannot enhance the vehicle’s driving stability in all situations and does not control your vehicle’s entire braking system. It is still your responsibility to drive and corner at reasonable speeds and to leave a sufficient margin of safety.

VSA Activation Indicator

When VSA activates, you will see the VSA activation indicator blink.

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System Indicator

If this indicator comes on while driving, pull to the side of the road when it is safe, and turn off the engine. Reset the system by restarting the engine. If the VSA system indicator stays on or comes back on while driving, have the VSA system inspected by your dealer.

If the indicator does not come on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON (II) position, there may be a problem with the VSA system. Have your dealer inspect your vehicle as soon as possible.

If the low tire pressure indicator or TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA system automatically turns on even if the VSA system is turned off by pressing the VSA OFF switch (see page ). If this happens, you cannot turn the VSA system off by pressing the VSA off switch again. Without VSA, your vehicle will have normal braking and cornering ability, but it will not have VSA traction and stability enhancement.

VSA Off Switch

This switch is under the driver’s side vent. To turn the VSA system on and off, press and hold it until you hear a beep. When VSA is off, the VSA activation indicator comes on as a reminder. Press and hold the switch again. It turns the system back on.

VSA is turned on every time you start the engine, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle.

In certain unusual conditions when your vehicle gets stuck in shallow mud or fresh snow, it may be easier to free it with the VSA temporarily switched off. When the VSA system is off, the traction control system is also off. You should only attempt to free your vehicle with the VSA off if you are not able to free it when the VSA is on.

Immediately after freeing your vehicle, be sure to switch the VSA on again. We do not recommend driving your vehicle with the VSA and traction control systems switched off.

VSA and Tire Sizes

Driving with varying tire or wheel sizes may cause the VSA to malfunction. When replacing tires, make sure they are of the same size and type as your original tires (see page 348).

If you install winter tires, make sure they are the same size as those that were originally supplied with your vehicle. Exercise the same caution during winter driving as you would if your vehicle was not equipped with VSA.
  • matador51matador51 Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a 2008 3x-L V6 Accord and the dealer offered undecoating, paint protection & interior protection. A dealership version of the Diamond Kote system.

I've been hanging around this site for a few weeks getting information on different cars and road/cabin noise has been mentioned several times. The undercoating is essentiall soundproofing and rust protection which must be applied when the car is new, i have to make a decision.

Comments please on the value of undercoating. My wife wanted the Avalon because it has a very quiet ride & I would like to a quiet ride too.

Feedback please.
    The Honda is never going to be as quiet as the Toyota equivalent. Honda tunes more for sport, which includes hearing the engine and some road noise, where Toyota tunes more for luxury, which takes the fun from driving but provides a quieter smoother ride.
    That's called a dealer pack. All three are totally unneccesary and are only methods to increase dealer profit.

All cars today have excellent factory-applied soundproofing / undercoating material.

Paint protection is an overpriced wax job.

Overpriced interior protection is today's equivalent of appication of a $6 spray can of Scotchgard.

Save your money and enjoy your new wheels.
    Do you think a the undercoat system would help? The brochure says road noise will be cut by 50%.

Here in Canada undercoating would also protect against road salt corrosion.

On the down side, I was told that in a cold climate the undercoating can crack and could moisture gets trapped inside which make the corrosion problem worse. Probably I would want a tar like substance that doesn't get hard.
    Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.
    Please forgive the spelling in the last two posts. My mind operates faster than my typing finger and usually spell check can't help grammar

Thanks for the feedback, I certainly won't get the paint protectin and interior protection systems. The question become does undercoating actually help reduce noise and would I notice the difference?
    Truthfully, I have no experience with undercoating, and can't truthfully answer you. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    You better hear the "EEEEER" sound on a traveling Accord hybrid to get addicted to Accord "noise".
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The car comes with protection from the factory. I would never give the dealer an opportunity to mess up the way the car came from the factory.
    I have no experience with undercoatings. My only advise would be, if you decide to get an undercoating, make sure and price it at a private shop vs. the dealership. You might save LOTS of $$ by finding a private shop to do the work.
    I talked to a lot of people and received advice from people in the business and have decided not to purchase undecoating.

There is a possibility that it could accelerate corrosion due to water getting trapped between the costing and metal when the coating cracks or chips. Just my $0.02!!
  • monkeygwdmonkeygwd Member Posts: 19
    I purchased my 08 EX-L Accord 9/11/07, and since day one, I've been experiencing noise in the front suspension while going over rough pavement at slow speeds. The service manager at the dealership I purchased my car from was not sure if the noise was normal and was supposed to get back to me, but never did. Took to another dealership, and it turns out both front struts require replacement. The parts were ordered this past Wednesday, so hopefully this will take care of my problem.
    HI REGARD, HONDA ELECTRIAL UP-DATE.......I WILL PICK UP NEW CAR NEXT TUES........HONDA AMERICA WILL REPLACE THE CAR........AT NO CHARGE.....now that is standing behind your product that is why i will always by Hondas.........
    Are we able to get this remote put on the car now? If so where can I get it? Or is this a remote that you can order when you purchase the car new?
    Although I would never choose to equip my car with one, your local Honda dealer will sell and install a Remote Engine Starter System. Or you can purchase it much less expensively online and have your Honda shop install it. Check it out both ways.

You didn't indicate which Accord you own, but from what I've read, the system fits LX-P, EX and EX-L Automatic Transmission models only and is not for LX or LX-S models.

Try these companies. I've dealt with the first two and was pleased with them.

http://collegehillshonda.com/honda_accord_4dr_accessories/2008_accord_electronic- - - s.htm

http://www.handaaccessories.com/accord08.html

http://www.bernardiparts.com/
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    Blane,

I just tried this setting on mine and it worked no problem. I think I know why its not working on yours. If you read those instructions, it says to put the key to the ON (II) position. But in the associated diagram, they show you the key in the accessory position (I). So you are probably doing this procedure with the key in position (I) which doesn't work. Turn the key two clicks to position (II). Then when you hold down the door unlock button, you need to wait for a total of 3 clicks. The initial click, pause, 2nd click, pause, 3rd click. Then turn the ignition to off position within 5 seconds to complete the procedure. If you do it that way it should work.
    Thank you John. Since I haven't had any other reason to visit the dealer yet, I'll try your suggestion today.
    you'll get more for your money if you simply turn up your favorite tunes........

its an upsell , I wouldn't do it.....
    It again didn't work the first two times this morning. But finally did the third time around. I can't explain why it was a problem, but I'd definitely had the key in the ON (II) position a couple of weeks ago and today.

I just wish that the option had been available for the 2004's. I've been annoyed with the inability to automatically unlock EITHER of my ACCORD coupe's doors without pressing the button since December 2003. I considered it to be a potential safety hazard.

Thanks again for the response. All's well... and the wife is now happy. It's her car.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    I'm glad the third time was the charm. You actually did me a favor in the first place by asking the question and pointing out which page the instruction was on. That passenger door not unlocking by itself was really annoying my wife and me.
  • alexthemdalexthemd Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I just picked up my new EX-L (4cyl) yesterday. While driving it last night I noticed that the head lights occasionally dim or flicker. My wife didn't really notice it and it didn't appear to have anything to do with going over bumps, etc. I was just curious if anyone has noticed anything similar.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • genego1genego1 Member Posts: 4
    I finally found the source of my creaking noise. The top rear of drivers side fender was touching the base of the metal pillar piece that is alongside of the windshield. It was touching at one small point which explained why the noise sometimes sounded like it was coming from the top of the door and was vague. I loosen one bolt on the fender and moved the fender panel away from the metal pice it was touching. I will bring this up to the dealer next time I take it in but for now it is cured.
  • wave62wave62 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my EX-L (4-cyl) since 10/20/2007 and i have noticed the same thing- The headlights flicker as the a/c cycles on and off.This happens when there is a new drain on power. The dealer said that it may be the nature of the beast, they are not sure since the car is so new. I have not experienced with other cars except when the battery is going south. Like I said- it is very annoying
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    It could be a defective alternator.
  • danielqkdanielqk Member Posts: 3
    I have 2008 LX-P accord sedan. In certain day my car had experience of more vibration than usual, may be the wind or road ?and no VSA blinking.
    I turned off the VSA and it become normal.
    Why VSA cause more problem, it should help to stabilize the vehicle than cause vibration?
  • master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    I have the 08 Coupe

I'm definitely going to have this checked, but I just wanna bring this up for some advice, suggestions, feedback.

This started about a week ago. Everytime I punch the gas pedal, my 08 Coupe makes this weird buzzing/humming sound that gets louder with speed. It sounds almost like a mixture of buzzing, crackling, and humming, and it seems to originate from the center part of the top of the dash. It usually happens at speeds higher than 40 mph. The sound itself is extremely noticeable when there is no music in the car, but it can be drowned out by cranking up the radio/cd volume about halfway or so. The noise doesn't come up when the car is running idle.

Important tidbit: This problem started to occur right after I had the ambient interior lighting accessory installed at the dealership.

I don't plan to take it to that dealership again to have it looked at because it's too far from my home and the place seemed kinda dirty/messy/unorganized; as such, I'll take it to a local dealership 10 minutes from me.

So have you guys heard of this noise before or have any idea what may be causing it?

Also, is it advisable to go to a different dealership from the one that installed my interior lighting?
    The shop that installed the ambient interior lighting accessory should warranty their workmanship. If they put your dash back together incorrectly make them fix it.

The local dealership may say the same thing since it wasn't installed at the factory, even though it may be a Honda component.
    On the other hand, any Honda dealer may warranty the work of the other dealer (??) and, so, you may be able to go to the local dealer and get the problem resolved. Might be worth a call to the local dealer . . .
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    All Honda added accessories are covered under the manufacturers warranty. I would just take it to the dealer of your choice/convenience.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Where's everybody with a new 2008 Accord that is having problems with it? There's no new post for 7 days. It cannot be better than 2007. IMPOSSIBLE!!! This is a first year design, and it should be like the 2007 Toyota Camry or 2003 Honda Accord. It would be a huge total loss for me for purchasing the older 2007 Accord brand new instead of the new 2008, and then I later find out that the 2007 Accord is not the most reliable Accord ever made in history. Right now, the 2007 Accord is predicted to be the most reliable Accord ever made in 30 years of history according to Consumer Reports, when it reaches 10 years old at least. If the 2008 is better, then I would not have foolishly bought the 2007 in the first place. I have no interest in buying a 2007 Accord at all, but I bought one only because of Consumer Reports' estimate, and it may be valuable. If more 2008 owners would at least come here to discuss, including a small scratch, then I would not be too worried.
    Maybe its that good?? I have a new one-- and, other than a inconsequential squeak from the automatic transmission shifter, there simply is nothing wrong in my first 3 months and 4000 miles of driving. Its a fine auto :shades:

BTW - I bought the 98 remodeled Accord when it was first released -- never had a problem with it either! I'm not sure the old rule "never buy the first model year" applies to Honda. I speak from experience . . . .
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    I am bringing my 08 EX in for its first service. I will tell you what is wrong. The drivers side mirror has a small blemish that I can't get out, they said they will replace it. there is some sort of rattle once in a while that sounds like it is coming from the moonroof and I want them to check the radio reception. Other than that, I bought the mask and can't get the hood to close with the hood piece attached so I took it off and asked them to take a look. Other than that, the car has exceeded my expectations. No other problems at all and the gas mileage just keeps getting better and better. last tank was 28 mpg mixed driving but mostly highway. My previous car was a 2005 Camry so its not like I am a honda fanatic.
    " I bought the mask and can't get the hood to close with the hood piece attached"

You should be aware that masks (bras) tend to accumulate fine particles of debris (sand, dust, etc.) along their edges and could lead to scratching of the paint due to wind vibration.
  • rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    I havn't had any problems but there are a few things I don't like.
    1) In stop and go traffic the fan comes on often and dims the lights. It's also a little loud.
    2) The car does not start instantly like my previous Accord. Not a big deal just the starter has to work twice as hard.
    3) When I first start the car it idles fast. I know all cars do this now but my 96 Accord didn't and since I leave early noise in an issue.
    4) A bit of a transmission wine at low speeds, though this seems to be less now that my car has 600 miles on it.
    Other than the above the car is excellent. Hopefully it will get me past 200K like my last Accord.
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    I appreciate the advice but I have used them for a long time on my cars with great results. I don't use it on weekends but on I95 in Florida during the weekly commute, I need it. I will keep it clean. I didn't really care about my last car and the junk that flies off trucks and other cars down here had the front of my last car looking very bad in a short time. Also, during love bug season, the front of the car gets covered with those things and they are very hard to get off. If you leave them on for even a short time, they damage the paint. I just can't get the thing to fit right but I have an appointment for my first service Friday and they said they will check it out. This one fits very tight but I will watch it.

Thanks
    SECOND HONDA IS GREAT I HAVE DRIVEN 2,000 MILES IN TWO WEEKS, GREAT HANDLING CAR MUST WORK TO KEEP SPEED BELOW 85...........GREAT MPH 26 RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX ALL HIGHWAY MILES AT 70 TO 80 MILES PER.........YOU WILL FIND YOU CAN FEEL VCM AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS JUST DOING ITS JOB........VERY SLIGHT ...........UNIT MADE MIDDLE OF OCT........FIRST UNIT WITH ELECTRIAL PROBLEM MADE FIRST OF SEPT........THIS IS ONE GREAT CAR.............AND HONDA STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS